Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

Default McDonald's Fries

MickDonald's does it to you again.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Man, that is bad news for a lot of people...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news

> MickDonald's does it to you again.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

OK, so how exactly does noting that the flavoring agents used
contain wheat and dairy DERIVATIVES automatically
equate to "the fries aren't gluten-free?"

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
news

> MickDonald's does it to you again.
>

> http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

The dietary issues are the least of your problems when you eat those.
McDonald's insists on absolutely perfect potatoes from their suppliers. None
of those little dark spots that you and I would just eat around or cut away
at home.

Guess how they get those perfect potatoes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
snip

> Guess how they get those perfect potatoes?

I'll bite, how?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "jay" > wrote in message
> news >
>>MickDonald's does it to you again.
>>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

> The dietary issues are the least of your problems when you eat those.
> McDonald's insists on absolutely perfect potatoes from their suppliers. None
> of those little dark spots that you and I would just eat around or cut away
> at home.
>
> Guess how they get those perfect potatoes?

Witchcraft...?

I give. How do they get those perfect potatoes? I bet it's going to be
some sinister plot...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

> MickDonald's does it to you again.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

Oh, bullshit. Read the whole thing. They can say it's gluten-free
because there's no protein component to the flavoring agents which are
*derivatives* of wheat and dairy.

Has there been a massive outbreak of allergic reactions to their fries?
A sudden run on epipens? And where's the media when huge stories like
this break...

The bastids...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "jay" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>>>MickDonald's does it to you again.
>>>
>>>http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

>> The dietary issues are the least of your problems when you eat those.
>> McDonald's insists on absolutely perfect potatoes from their suppliers.
>> None of those little dark spots that you and I would just eat around or
>> cut away at home.
>>
>> Guess how they get those perfect potatoes?

> Witchcraft...?
>
> I give. How do they get those perfect potatoes? I bet it's going to be
> some sinister plot...
>
> Pastorio

I guess it depends on what falls under your definition of sinister. Really,
it's an astounding variety of pesticides & fungicides, applied almost
constantly throughout the growing season. Way beyond what's used on most
other crops. Some farmers won't eat the potatoes they grow for McDonald's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MickeyD's does absolutely nothing to me, again. Why? Because I don't eat
there. Hard to fathom how an NG like this spends so much time discussing
stuff we don't eat, and would never dream of eating. OK, I'm eliteist.
So sue me

Jo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Canter wrote:

> > http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

> The dietary issues are the least of your problems when you eat those.
> McDonald's insists on absolutely perfect potatoes from their suppliers. None
> of those little dark spots that you and I would just eat around or cut away
> at home.

It seems a little ironic to me that McDonalds would insist on perfect potatoes where
their food is so far from perfects. I realize that they sell billions of burgers, but
mass appeal, especially with their special appeal to children and teens does nothing
to enhance my view of their products. I will take those roughly chopped fries from a
chip truck over the golden arches fries any day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Henhouse wrote:
> MickeyD's does absolutely nothing to me, again. Why? Because I don't eat
> there. Hard to fathom how an NG like this spends so much time discussing
> stuff we don't eat, and would never dream of eating. OK, I'm eliteist.
> So sue me
>
> Jo

Alright Jo. If you don't hear from my lawyers soon, call me.

I must agree. Don't eat there -- probably never will. -G
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I guess you could say there's a sort of perfection in all categories,
even when the category is crap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> it's an astounding variety of pesticides & fungicides, applied almost
> constantly throughout the growing season. Way beyond what's used on most
> other crops. Some farmers won't eat the potatoes they grow for McDonald's.

Here McD's has refused GM spuds.
<http://www.biotech-info.net/decisions_fastfood.html>

Here, Australian farmers are threatening to boycott McD's if they don't
buy more potatoes. <http://tinyurl.com/9ffwo>

"If the McDonald's made a deal long ago to help Ray Kroc's personal
friend expand the production of his potato farm, in turn for loyalty to
sell to McDonald's, then that is totally fair (speaking of Simplot of
ID). Even if, McDonald's pays 2 cents more per potato now. You see, the
potato farmer is reaping the rewards for helping Ray Kroc in the
beginning; build the McDonald's brand name."
<http://readerfeed.com/branding/29872.html>

Hmmm. Here's a story that supports your contention.
<http://www.mcspotlight.org/media/press/potatoes.html>

This story says the potatoes aren't perfect.
"Scalding steam explodes brown skins. Workers with stubby knives gouge
out black spots. [...] High-pressure water blasts potatoes at 35 mph
through a pipe into brass blades arranged in a quarter-inch grid. [...]
Laser-guided knives whack imperfections from the raw shoestring fries."
<http://tinyurl.com/7bjdd>

This story says that while russets require more fertilizer and
pesticides, production is heading into other varieties.
"The predominant variety for many decades, both for processing and fresh
markets, has been Russet Burbank, which accounted for 65% of the western
U.S. potato acreage in the early 1980's but less than 50% in 2004. [...]

"Russet Burbank produces oblong to long, russet-skinned tubers with
moderately high solids, has long-storage dormancy, and produces
excellent baked and processed products. Despite these strengths, Russet
Burbank has serious weaknesses. Russet Burbank is susceptible to
Verticillium wilt, early blight, late blight, most potato viruses
(including leafroll net necrosis), and some physiological disorders
including hollow heart, brown center, internal brown spot, blackspot
bruise, and dark-end fries caused by sugar accumulation in tuber stem
ends when the crop is stressed. It is much more susceptible than most
modern varieties to knobs, off-shapes, and internal and external defects
associated with uneven growing conditions caused by fluctuating
temperature and moisture. Serious quality reduction due to small tuber
size and internal disorders aggravated by high temperatures is not
uncommon for this variety.

"Russet Burbank requires a high level of management, requiring more
fertilizer, water, and pesticides than are required for varieties such
as Bannock Russet, Alturas, and GemStar Russet - recent releases from
the Northwest Tri-State Potato Variety Development Program."
<http://tinyurl.com/c32jr>

It seems that Russets take more care, but it seems that they return more
than other varieties. It's that same kind of mixed blessing that so many
other food sources generate. It falls under the "water balloon
principle" I formulated years ago. When you squeeze a water-filled
balloon, it bulges out somewhere else. So solve this problem, but create
a new one over there somewhere.

What John Campbell who was one of the great editors said: "You can't do
just one thing."

Who knew there were so many varieties of potatoes?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Here McD's has refused GM spuds.

Admirable of them. :-)

I've been avoiding products made with yellow corn meal for the same
reason.

Even Taco Bell avoided yellow corn, their tortillas were made with only
white corn for ages!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> It seems a little ironic to me that McDonalds would insist on perfect

potatoes where
> their food is so far from perfects. I realize that they sell billions of

burgers, but
> mass appeal, especially with their special appeal to children and teens

does nothing
> to enhance my view of their products. I will take those roughly chopped

fries from a
> chip truck over the golden arches fries any day.

Actually, their food DOES come very much closer to
"perfect" *for what it is supposed to be* than any of
their competitors. Note, however, that in this context,
"perfect" doesn't at ALL have to equate to "good" in terms
of taste, nutrition, etc..

I had the good fortune to be sitting next to a McDonald's exec
on a trans-Pacific flight once; he was on his way to Australia
and New Zealand to work out some deals with meat suppliers
their for their Asian operations. Learned a lot about what
Micky D's is all about, and you can basically sum it up in
one word: consistency. McDonald's never is going to make the
absolute best hamburger or whatever in the world, but
they know that and that isn't really what they're shooting for.
The point is to make a product that the public will buy, and
then to make sure that that product is absolutely the same no
matter what McDonald's you happen to walk into. And at
least in my experience, in THAT sense they're the best in
the world. No matter where I am - and I get around quite
a bit on business - if I HAVE to go for "fast food," either
due to a time crunch or just because I have no "known good"
local options, I am likely to go to McD's. I never expect
to have a "great" burger or whatever there, but I am always
absolutely certain that whatever I DO get will be exactly the
same in, say, Taipei as it is in Denver. And I can tell you from
(bad) experience that a lot of their American-type competition
in those same locations can't say the same thing.

In that light, their demanding that their suppliers provide
potatoes (or whatever) to some pretty tight specifications
is very understandable.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Myers wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>

>>It seems a little ironic to me that McDonalds would insist on perfect
>>

>potatoes where
>

>>their food is so far from perfects. I realize that they sell billions of
>>

>burgers, but
>

>>mass appeal, especially with their special appeal to children and teens
>>

>does nothing
>

>>to enhance my view of their products. I will take those roughly chopped
>>

>fries from a
>

>>chip truck over the golden arches fries any day.
>>

>Actually, their food DOES come very much closer to
>"perfect" *for what it is supposed to be* than any of
>their competitors. Note, however, that in this context,
>"perfect" doesn't at ALL have to equate to "good" in terms
>of taste, nutrition, etc..
>
>I had the good fortune to be sitting next to a McDonald's exec
>on a trans-Pacific flight once; he was on his way to Australia
>and New Zealand to work out some deals with meat suppliers
>their for their Asian operations. Learned a lot about what
>Micky D's is all about, and you can basically sum it up in
>one word: consistency. McDonald's never is going to make the
>absolute best hamburger or whatever in the world, but
>they know that and that isn't really what they're shooting for.
>The point is to make a product that the public will buy, and
>then to make sure that that product is absolutely the same no
>matter what McDonald's you happen to walk into. And at
>least in my experience, in THAT sense they're the best in
>the world. No matter where I am - and I get around quite
>a bit on business - if I HAVE to go for "fast food," either
>due to a time crunch or just because I have no "known good"
>local options, I am likely to go to McD's. I never expect
>to have a "great" burger or whatever there, but I am always
>absolutely certain that whatever I DO get will be exactly the
>same in, say, Taipei as it is in Denver. And I can tell you from
>(bad) experience that a lot of their American-type competition
>in those same locations can't say the same thing.
>
>In that light, their demanding that their suppliers provide
>potatoes (or whatever) to some pretty tight specifications
>is very understandable.
>
>Bob M.
>

>You are not wrong. The thing about Maccas is that no matter where you are you know exactly what you're getting, with very little risk of food poisoning thrown in for free. The traditional Aussie burger at its best is superior to a Big Mac, but you can be sadly disappointed a lot of the time.
>
>Have you heard of the practice of using the price of a Big Mac relative
>to the average wage as a guide to a country's prosperity?

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Myers wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html
>
> OK, so how exactly does noting that the flavoring agents used
> contain wheat and dairy DERIVATIVES automatically
> equate to "the fries aren't gluten-free?"
>
> Bob M.

Whey and casein, which are milk derivatives, will send my husband to the
bathroom faster than you can count to 5.

It matters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:37:39 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> > wrote:
>
>>I guess it depends on what falls under your definition of sinister.
>>Really,
>>it's an astounding variety of pesticides & fungicides, applied almost
>>constantly throughout the growing season.

> Like this is any different than another other commercial farm? It
> ain't.
>
> -sw

Every crop is different, and within the category of any given crop, the
growing methods vary according to the intended customer. You and I see far
more imperfect potatoes in the grocery store than McD would ever accept.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:17:11 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> > wrote:
>
>>The dietary issues are the least of your problems when you eat those.
>>McDonald's insists on absolutely perfect potatoes from their suppliers.
>>None
>>of those little dark spots that you and I would just eat around or cut
>>away
>>at home.

> McDonalds uses a sophisticated electronic visual inspection
> process. The fries go through a conveyor and the video system
> identifies fries with blemishes. The video system then calculates
> trajectory and blows the offending fry off the conveyer with a
> carefully directed blast of air from a robotic air gun.
>
>>Guess how they get those perfect potatoes?

> They grow them?
>
> -sw

Far more chemicals than most farms use. Choose to believe it, or not.
Yawn......

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> Here McD's has refused GM spuds.

> Admirable of them. :-)
>
> I've been avoiding products made with yellow corn meal for the same
> reason.

Huh? Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Denise~* wrote:

> Whey and casein, which are milk derivatives, will send my husband to the
> bathroom faster than you can count to 5.
>
> It matters.

Is that what it is in their food that gives me the BigMac attacks?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Myers wrote:

> I had the good fortune to be sitting next to a McDonald's exec
> on a trans-Pacific flight once; he was on his way to Australia
> and New Zealand to work out some deals with meat suppliers
> their for their Asian operations. Learned a lot about what
> Micky D's is all about, and you can basically sum it up in
> one word: consistency. McDonald's never is going to make the
> absolute best hamburger or whatever in the world, but
> they know that and that isn't really what they're shooting for.
> The point is to make a product that the public will buy, and
> then to make sure that that product is absolutely the same no
> matter what McDonald's you happen to walk into. And at
> least in my experience, in THAT sense they're the best in
> the world. No matter where I am - and I get around quite
> a bit on business - if I HAVE to go for "fast food," either
> due to a time crunch or just because I have no "known good"
> local options, I am likely to go to McD's. I never expect
> to have a "great" burger or whatever there, but I am always
> absolutely certain that whatever I DO get will be exactly the
> same in, say, Taipei as it is in Denver. And I can tell you from
> (bad) experience that a lot of their American-type competition
> in those same locations can't say the same thing.
>
> In that light, their demanding that their suppliers provide
> potatoes (or whatever) to some pretty tight specifications
> is very understandable.

Yes indeed. It is predictable. It is an amazing marketing concept. They
serve those thin little patties of plain meat on a wonderbread type of bun to
people who have low expectations, and the customers are happy as long as the
burger they eat is just as uninspired as the others they ate there. Lots of
people seem to like that and good for them if they can profit from the bad
taste of the public. I am just glad that there are other places who at least
aspire to something bettor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

> Yes indeed. It is predictable. It is an amazing marketing
> concept. They serve those thin little patties of plain meat on
> a wonderbread type of bun to people who have low expectations,
> and the customers are happy as long as the burger they eat is
> just as uninspired as the others they ate there. Lots of people
> seem to like that and good for them if they can profit from
> the bad taste of the public.

It's simple biology. Foraging for food is just pattern recognition;
the more recognizable the item is as food, the more likely
the organism will eat it.

Damned overdeveloped cerebral cortex makes some of us seek
variety in food. None of the lower animals cares one whit
for variety.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> Yes indeed. It is predictable. It is an amazing marketing
>> concept. They serve those thin little patties of plain meat on
>> a wonderbread type of bun to people who have low expectations,
>> and the customers are happy as long as the burger they eat is
>> just as uninspired as the others they ate there. Lots of people
>> seem to like that and good for them if they can profit from
>> the bad taste of the public.

> It's simple biology. Foraging for food is just pattern recognition;
> the more recognizable the item is as food, the more likely
> the organism will eat it.
>
> Damned overdeveloped cerebral cortex makes some of us seek
> variety in food. None of the lower animals cares one whit
> for variety.
>
> Steve

You should follow my cat around outside for a day, and see what she eats for
variety. Her latest thing is earthworms. She eats some, and brings others to
the doorstep and leaves them there in tatters. Not sure if she intends to
eat them later, or if she's leaving them for me. Can't explain to her that
they're useless for fishing if they're in a million pieces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> I eat at McD's maybe 2 times a year. I either get a Big Mac or a
> Quarterpounder. I never get the fries anymore. They changed the cooking
> oil changing the taste of them. Sometimes I'll order the fillet of fish
> sandwich. That's about it. Oh... I'll also get a side salad. But I go
> there so seldom it really not an issue. Fast food to us is a very rare
> meal. One thing I love is the sub from Amighetti's. Gawd are they good.
> Oh... and White Castle is a must once a year.

I made the mistake of eating there a few times when I started working on the
road. It seemed like a good idea to grab something fast. I found the meals
generally unsatisfying and usually ended up getting cramps after eating it.
The other chains aren't much different. I just don't understand the
attraction. I don't think the burgers are very good. They aren't cheap, not to
get enough for a meal. The fries IMO are horrible. The fish sandwiches aren't
too bad, but I can get a much nicer one from one of the local restaurants. It
will cost more, but it will be real fish on a real bun, with real fries, and it
will be a satisfying meal, and one that my system won't reject in 30 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote

> I made the mistake of eating there a few times when I started working on
> the
> road. It seemed like a good idea to grab something fast. I found the meals
> generally unsatisfying and usually ended up getting cramps after eating
> it.

They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
I still don't get it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote
>
> > I made the mistake of eating there a few times when I started working on
> > the
> > road. It seemed like a good idea to grab something fast. I found the meals
> > generally unsatisfying and usually ended up getting cramps after eating
> > it.

> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
> on the road.

LOL
My brother was telling me about driving his daughter back to school, a 4-5 hour
drive from here. The got hungry along the way and stopped at a rest area to grab
a meal. Fifteen minutes down the road they started getting cramps. Things got
so bad they had to stop at the next rest area and run in to use the toilets. I
guessed the problem. They had stopped at McDonalds.

> I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
> I still don't get it.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Myers" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
>> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
>> I still don't get it.

> Waitaminnit...Mickey D's burgers are not "sliders." To
> be a true, honest-to-Zeus "slider," a burger HAS to come
> from a White Castle.

Heh, I thought they were talking about White Castle.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Denise~*" > wrote in message
news
> > OK, so how exactly does noting that the flavoring agents used
> > contain wheat and dairy DERIVATIVES automatically
> > equate to "the fries aren't gluten-free?"
> >
> > Bob M.

> Whey and casein, which are milk derivatives, will send my husband to the
> bathroom faster than you can count to 5.

Of course they are. But read the above again, more carefully,
please. Simply because Mickey D's states that their flavoring
agents "contain wheat and dairy derivatives" does NOT equate
to saying that the fries MUST contain gluten, unless you are
claiming that all possible "wheat and dairy derivatives" also
MUST contain gluten. I would submit that it's very easy to name
some materials which could be considered derivatives of these,
and which do NOT contain gluten, therefore the original
assertion is nonsensical. See?

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
> I still don't get it.

Waitaminnit...Mickey D's burgers are not "sliders." To
be a true, honest-to-Zeus "slider," a burger HAS to come
from a White Castle.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Myers" > wrote in message

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
> > on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was ...
> > I still don't get it.

> Waitaminnit...Mickey D's burgers are not "sliders." To
> be a true, honest-to-Zeus "slider," a burger HAS to come
> from a White Castle.

Oh, damn - you WERE talking about WC. Sorry,
my mistake...

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Yes indeed. It is predictable. It is an amazing marketing concept. They
> serve those thin little patties of plain meat on a wonderbread type of

bun to
> people who have low expectations, and the customers are happy as long as

the
> burger they eat is just as uninspired as the others they ate there. Lots

of
> people seem to like that and good for them if they can profit from the

bad
> taste of the public. I am just glad that there are other places who at

least
> aspire to something bettor.

No argument there (well, possibly with your spelling of
"better" :-)), but again I can't really fault a business - and
this IS a business we're talking about, not some charitable
or religious organization with a fanatical devotion to bringing
hamburger nirvana to the unbelievers - doing very, very well
at implementing a business strategy that seems to work
incredibly well for them, so long as there's nothing illegal or
immoral in their strategy. And while I am sure there will be
some who disagree, I can't bring myself to believe that offering
food which isn't particularly healthy or nutritional, or even tasty,
comes under either of those headings. If Ronald McDonald
were standing outside the places, and forcing people in off the
streets to consumer the fare at gunpoint, that would be a
different story. But everyone who's eating in a McDonald's
is doing so because they have chosen to do so, and I've got no
right at all to gripe about THEIR choices, so long as they
don't affect me.

Bob M.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Kanter" > wrote in message

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
> >
> >> Here McD's has refused GM spuds.

> > Admirable of them. :-)
> >
> > I've been avoiding products made with yellow corn meal for the same
> > reason.

> Huh? Why?

Starlink corn would be one example of genetically modified yellow corn.
Essentially, Starlink corn makes it own pesticide as it grows.

There's already been at least recall for food products that may have had
Starlink corn mixed in with other natural corn sources. See these web

That's why I generally only buy white corn products, well, at least until
genetic modification technology finds a way to screw up white corn as well.

Obligatory web links follow below:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/200...hini-full.html

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...nk-snafu_x.htm

http://http://www.biotech-info.net/disaster_day.html

A Yahoo (or equivalent search engine) search for "Starlink corn" will
provide even more web links than just the few listed above.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote in message
. ..
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote in message
>>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>> > Admirable of them. :-)
>> >
>> > I've been avoiding products made with yellow corn meal for the same
>> > reason.

>> Huh? Why?
>>

> Starlink corn would be one example of genetically modified yellow corn.
> Essentially, Starlink corn makes it own pesticide as it grows.
>
> There's already been at least recall for food products that may have had
> Starlink corn mixed in with other natural corn sources. See these web
>
> That's why I generally only buy white corn products, well, at least until
> genetic modification technology finds a way to screw up white corn as
> well.
>
> Obligatory web links follow below:
>
> http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/200...hini-full.html
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/te...nk-snafu_x.htm
>
> http://http://www.biotech-info.net/disaster_day.html
>
> A Yahoo (or equivalent search engine) search for "Starlink corn" will
> provide even more web links than just the few listed above.

Oh...OK. I didn't see the reference to GM corn in the earlier message. I
thought she was talking about ALL yellow corn meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Myers wrote:

> > burger they eat is just as uninspired as the others they ate there. Lots

> of
> > people seem to like that and good for them if they can profit from the

> bad
> > taste of the public. I am just glad that there are other places who at

> least
> > aspire to something bettor.

> No argument there (well, possibly with your spelling of
> "better" :-)),

LOL I made a typo that my spell checker caught and hit Replace a split second
before realizing it was recommending bettor instead of better. If I had made
as many mistakes as I usually do the spell checker would have been busier and
I would have had time to go back :-)

> but again I can't really fault a business - and
> this IS a business we're talking about, not some charitable
> or religious organization with a fanatical devotion to bringing
> hamburger nirvana to the unbelievers -

Oh I am aware of it being a business and being interested in making a buck. I
am just old fashioned enough that I prefer restaurants that are proud of their
food because it is so good rather than their claim to fame being that every
burger is the same.

> comes under either of those headings. If Ronald McDonald
> were standing outside the places, and forcing people in off the
> streets to consumer the fare at gunpoint, that would be a
> different story. But everyone who's eating in a McDonald's
> is doing so because they have chosen to do so, and I've got no
> right at all to gripe about THEIR choices, so long as they
> don't affect me.

The way it affects you and me is that other places go belly up when the masses
go to the golden arches instead of to them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > hitched up their panties and posted
> :

>> They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
>> on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was
>> ... I still don't get it.

> It's the greasy onions

(laugh!) Hey, I wasn't knocking it, if it makes someone happy,
then it's okay by me. Just at the time they opened one where I
used to live, they were running those ads about people having them
flown in for their weddings, stuff like that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> > "Dave Smith" > wrote
> >
> >> I made the mistake of eating there a few times when I started working
> >> on the
> >> road. It seemed like a good idea to grab something fast. I found the
> >> meals generally unsatisfying and usually ended up getting cramps
> >> after eating it.

> > They don't call them sliders for nothing, last thing I'd grab if I was
> > on the road. I had WC burgers once just to see what the hoopla was
> > ... I still don't get it.
> >
> > nancy

> It's the greasy onions

Fried Onions?

I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I confess
to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection of a segment
about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the movie someone and
Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits and pieces of and intend
to watch it from the start the next time I catch the listing in time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan wrote:

> >> It's the greasy onions

> > Fried Onions?
> >
> > I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
> > confess to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection
> > of a segment about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the
> > movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits
> > and pieces of and intend to watch it from the start the next time I
> > catch the listing in time.

> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I *think*
> White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea how they cook
> the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the little square burgers.
> The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite frankly they are fantastic
> when you're coming off a really bad binge. I usually can down 6 of them
> with no problem with some of their deep fried onion chips. Gawd... the
> gastric distress a few hours later is horrendous.

Deep fried onion chips??? I was thinking fried onions, maybe onion rings. Deep
fried onion chips sounds like something I don't want to know about. I
inherited the family gall bladder.

> Some people smother 'em
> in chili etc. That's about all I know. They now sell them frozen. The
> frozen aren't worth the effort IMO. We have a WC close. I get my fix
> yearly.

I confess that I have never even seen a White Castle. For the record, the best
hamburger I ever had in my life was in one of those old style metal sided
diners on (I believe ) Rte.15, about 10 miles north of Harrisburg PA. 15 years
ago. It was fantastic. I find it worth my while to try places like that and
luck out every once in a while with an outstanding burger than to get the old
reliable piece of sawdust that tastes just like the last piece of sawdust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 17 Feb 2006 05:17:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> Dave Smith > hitched up their panties and
> posted :

>>> It's the greasy onions

>> Fried Onions?
>>
>> I love them on burgers. I am assuming WC refers to White Castle. I
>> confess to only having heard about them here and a faint recollection
>> of a segment about it on the Food Network. More recently there is the
>> movie someone and Kumar go to White Castle, which I have caught bits
>> and pieces of and intend to watch it from the start the next time I
>> catch the listing in time.

> I don't know the entire history so you can't quote me on it. I *think*
> White Castle originated here in St. Louis. I have no idea how they cook
> the onions. I would assume on the griddle with the little square
> burgers. The taste is unique in a fast food way. Quite frankly they are
> fantastic when you're coming off a really bad binge. I usually can down
> 6 of them with no problem with some of their deep fried onion chips.
> Gawd... the gastric distress a few hours later is horrendous. Some
> people smother 'em in chili etc. That's about all I know. They now sell
> them frozen. The frozen aren't worth the effort IMO. We have a WC
> close. I get my fix yearly.

White Castle System, Inc. was formed in Wichita, Kansas, in 1921. They use
shredded, reconstitued dried onions that are cooked on the grill before the
meat patties are added.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> The way it affects you and me is that other places go belly up when the

masses
> go to the golden arches instead of to them.

Nope, doesn't affect me; I cook better food myself than what
I'd get in any of those places that will go Tango Uniform simply
because Mickey D's draws in those "masses" who might otherwise
spend their $4.99 for a combo elsewhere...

Bob M.