Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's in it - mcdonald's French Fries

Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with
a friend, thought I'd re-post it here FYI...

According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

"what's in it | McDonald's
potatoes
We like our fries and hash browns fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the
outside. Thats why we use potato varieties like Russet Burbank,
Shepody and Russet Ranger"
http://mcdonalds.com.au/our-food/whats-in-it

Here's what's *actually* in their French Fries:

Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural
flavour (vegetable source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate
(maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane
(antifoaming agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil,
soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric acid and
dimethylpolysiloxane) and salt (silicoaluminate, dextrose, potassium
iodide)
http://www.undergroundhealth.com/mcd...ncluding-gmos/

All GMO, where possible, of course.
And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2013 5:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
[...]

All true, and all still so very tasty alas...oh for the simpler days of
beef tallow...
Old 11-07-2013, 02:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/13 7:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
[...]

They made their name on delicious tallow fries, which I think are
wholesome. I believe it was Science in the Public Interest, a front for
the soybean industry, that mounted a propaganda campaign of junk
science, claiming Mcdonald's fries were bad for you and partially
hydrogenated soybean oil was good. In fact, it had been established
that the latter was deadly, but public opinion forced Mcdonald's to go
to vegetable oil.

Mcdonald's fries are still considered relatively healthful.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fast-food-french-fries-which-are-healthiest

Old 11-07-2013, 02:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
playgrounds back then. LOL

Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

Jill
Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/07/2013 9:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
playgrounds back then. LOL

Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

I never thought it was a treat. I ate at McDs a couple times when I was
working on the road and then only when working with other people who
wanted to go. Was never impressed.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
playgrounds back then. LOL

Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

I never thought it was a treat. I ate at McDs a couple times when I was
working on the road and then only when working with other people who
wanted to go. Was never impressed.

I did say I was a kid at the time. We didn't go out to eat much so
getting fast food was considered a treat.

Jill
Old 11-07-2013, 03:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeus" wrote in message
[...]

I think you are missing things unless they have changed things. Lemme
check. Yes. You have to scroll down. Won't let me copy and paste.

http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnu...dientslist.pdf

Also contains milk, wheat and beef!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 7/10/2013 7:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
And here I was just using oil and potatoes!

I really don't understand the fascination with McDonald's. When I was a
kid, if Mom took us there it was a treat. They didn't even have
playgrounds back then. LOL

I fail to see how it could be a treat. For us it was more like a
desparation meal. Something didn't go right at home with the meal, like the
sweet and sour liver with pineapple chunks and we didn't have enough money
to go to a real restaurant. Or we were out on the road, needed to eat and
nothing else was available. My parents also did get me McD's when they got
pizza although I'm not sure why because I really didn't like it. Hated
pizza but discovered when I was older that what I hated was the kind that
they got which was sausage and black olive. It was just sooo greasy and I
don't like greasy food!

Slice russet potatoes into thin strips, pan fry in oil. Pretty simple.

I prefer oven roasted.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 22:10:25 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:54:57 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

Also contains milk, wheat and beef!

It does not say contain...

Correction: Does not say it contains .. *BEEF*.

It does say natural beef flavor. So derived from beef. That's the first tip
off that made me distrust them. There was a lawsuit some years ago by
vegetarians over that one!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeus wrote:

According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*

Old 11-07-2013, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeus" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly what I was thinking!!!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 11-07-2013, 05:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2013 9:13 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Jeus wrote:

According to Macdonalds, here is the contents of their French Fries:

Who gives a fat rat's B-Hind... The Clown doesn't serve French Fries,
never did... those skinny-minnie thingies are *Shoestring Potatoes*

There's not a thing wrong with shoestring potatoes. I occassionally
make sweet potato shoestrings. No need for a deep fryer for either one,
just a good heavy skillet and oil. And yes, twice frying is best.

Jill
Old 11-07-2013, 05:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 20:55:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

sweet and sour liver with pineapple chunks

{{{shudder}}}
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:37:29 PM UTC-7, Jeus wrote:
Come across this yesterday and was having a discussion about this with

Oh those "food scientists" that have huge labs dedicated to the combination of chemicals to titillate your taste buds. Mickey D's makes it taste good no matter what it does to body and your health.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 21:02:32 -0400, j Burns
wrote:

On 7/10/13 7:37 PM, Jeus wrote:
[...]

I agree, nothing wrong with tallow - if it really is plain tallow.

I believe it was Science in the Public Interest, a front for
the soybean industry,

Don't you just love the names they come up with, much like many
'institutes'.

that mounted a propaganda campaign of junk
science, claiming Mcdonald's fries were bad for you and partially
hydrogenated soybean oil was good. In fact, it had been established
that the latter was deadly, but public opinion forced Mcdonald's to go
to vegetable oil.

Yep. No end of other examples of that happening with other food items,
plus things like hemp/cannabis, etc.

Mcdonald's fries are still considered relatively healthful.
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/fast-food-french-fries-which-are-healthiest

McDonald's Garlic Fries Are Already Sold Out in San Francisco Janet B General Cooking 14 10-05-2016 07:14 PM
McDonald's Fries sf[_9_] General Cooking 144 10-05-2016 03:40 PM
McDonald's Fries jay General Cooking 45 19-02-2006 07:32 AM
Do French people eat French Fries and French Toast ? Puester General Cooking 2 17-02-2005 05:22 AM