Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quiznos Subs

There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
different than Subway.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
> a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Their ads suggest that their subs are grilled, or squeezed & heated, sort of
like Cuban sandwiches.

Incidentally, Subway's low fat subs are actually pretty good, especially if
you're travelling by car and find yourself with limited choices at highway
exits. Better than the BK Lounge or McD, unless of course you have a craving
for fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-02-13, Dee Randall > wrote:
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.

I've only been to a Quiznos once, when a new one opened just a couple
blocks from me. I walked, I walked out. It really smelled bad. The
place went belly up six months later.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Like subway nothing to write home about. My favorite subs are banh mi
(Vietnamese, nothing local but a favorite when in a city with a
Vietnamese population) or the excellent subs they make at the local mom
& pop deli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
> a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

IMO they are spendy for what you get. What you get is pretty average.
good luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-02-13, Dee Randall > wrote:
>> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
>> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
>> changed.
>> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>> different than Subway.

> I've only been to a Quiznos once, when a new one opened just a couple
> blocks from me. I walked, I walked out. It really smelled bad. The
> place went belly up six months later.
>
> nb

Whoa! Doesn't look (smell) good.
Thanks a lot.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:08:07 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
>year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>different than Subway.
>Thanks,
>Dee Dee

I don't eat Subway but I've been to the local Quiznos a few times
(it's next door to the scrapbooking store and they open at 1pm on
Sunday so if we're too early to pick up supplies we get lunch
first...) Their food tends to be very salty but otherwise okay. I like
their chicken and corn chowder... but like all these places the food
is EXPENSIVE! It costs about twenty dollars for lunch for two...

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I went to Quiznos once when they first opened a store here. Much more
expensive than Subway and quality only slightly better. If I had only
the two options for a sub I'd go with a veggie & cheese on wheat from
Subway, reasonably priced, reasonably healthy and not a sodium bomb.

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:08:07 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
>year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>different than Subway.
>Thanks,
>Dee Dee

We have a Quiznos one at work. My impression is that both are
similar. Perhaps Q has the advantage due to the toasting.

At either place, I get the vegetable sub.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
> a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.

The quality of the subs, IMO, is better than Subway, but Quiznos is much
more expensive. We usually get subs from other (much better) places, rather
than either of those chains.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
> a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.

I find them superior to Subway -- even after Subway started offering toasted
versions of their sammiches.

Quisnos also has better soups!

--
The generation that used acid to escape reality
is now using antacid to deal with reality

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway
> > for many a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by)
> > that it has not changed. I'm wondering if anyone has been to
> > Quiznos and knows if it is much different than Subway. Thanks,
> > Dee Dee
> >

> Their ads suggest that their subs are grilled, or squeezed & heated,
> sort of like Cuban sandwiches.

They're toasted, the sandwich made and then run open through a oven
contraption. No pressing.

One building I worked at shared a parking lot with a Quiznos. Many of
the gang really liked it, I didn't so much.

For subs in STL, I prefer to go the Amighetti's franchise at Village
Square (I know this means nothing to 99% of you). It's not quite the
same as the original on the Hill, but it's still pretty close.

Brian
won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Knit Chic" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for

many
> > a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> > changed.
> > I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> > different than Subway.
> > Thanks,
> > Dee Dee

> IMO they are spendy for what you get. What you get is pretty average.
> good luck.

I agree! $8.50 for a sub that looks smaller than the 6" subway? Uh uh. I
went three times (because "they" say you have to give a place three times
before you call it done) and one time Quiznos was even out of cheese! I've
ordered soup, salad and subs there just to be fair and it's just NOT worth
it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Hadn'tried Quiznos before a week or so. Had a couple of coupons so went
to one in Honolulu. Coupon ok and sub was very good, on a par with
Subway, although a little more pricey without the coupon. Went back
later and tried to use a coupon and was refused "only good on the
mainland". A few days later clipped a few coupons from the local paper
and tried again. Only one of the coupons was acceptable. Screwy. I
like their sandwiches, maybe a tad more than Subway, but their prices
and coupon policies are a little off. Don't expect to make a return visit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User a écrit :

> For subs in STL, I prefer to go the Amighetti's franchise at Village
> Square (I know this means nothing to 99% of you).

Probably, more accurately, 99,9%.

> It's not quite the
> same as the original on the Hill, but it's still pretty close.

This too is meaningless :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall a écrit :

> > I've only been to a Quiznos once, when a new one opened just a couple
> > blocks from me. I walked, I walked out. It really smelled bad. The
> > place went belly up six months later.

> Whoa! Doesn't look (smell) good.
> Thanks a lot.

I've been to two or three Quiznos in Ottawa. No smell problem that I
noticed. Subs tended to be messy. My son quite likes them; too much
meat for my taste. Odd thing is that the closest one is right next to
a Subway and both seem to be doing well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

The one and only time I tried Quiznos I ended up worshipping the
porcelain god for 2 days. Major food poisoning. Never again. Bought
the sub at the drive thru window during a "non-peak" time of day. As I
contemplated my demise, it occurred to me that the "hot" sub had
probably been a leftover pre-fab from lunch. Still get queasy when I
see one of their ads.

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ntantiques" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dee Randall wrote:
>> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
>> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
>> changed.
>> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>> different than Subway.
>> Thanks,
>> Dee Dee

> The one and only time I tried Quiznos I ended up worshipping the
> porcelain god for 2 days. Major food poisoning. Never again. Bought
> the sub at the drive thru window during a "non-peak" time of day. As I
> contemplated my demise, it occurred to me that the "hot" sub had
> probably been a leftover pre-fab from lunch. Still get queasy when I
> see one of their ads.
>
> Nancy T

Maybe that's why the new Quiznos is located beside the Vitamin Shoppe --
just in case.
Wonder if Quiznos knows what they are doing? So sad, so much potential.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DWACON wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
>> a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
>> changed.
>> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>> different than Subway.

> I find them superior to Subway -- even after Subway started offering toasted
> versions of their sammiches.
>
> Quisnos also has better soups!

I had my first visit and lunch there today, before going to the gym. I
had the warm veggie/cheese sub (small) and enjoyed the spring mix
lettuce as well as the guacamole. Baked lays chips and a raspberry
lemonaide and I was nicely sated. It didn't seem all that expensive to
me considering all the fresh vegetables I had in my sub.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ntantiques wrote:
> Dee Randall wrote:
> > There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
> > year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
> > I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> > different than Subway.
> > Thanks,
> > Dee Dee

> The one and only time I tried Quiznos I ended up worshipping the
> porcelain god for 2 days. Major food poisoning. Never again. Bought
> the sub at the drive thru window during a "non-peak" time of day. As I
> contemplated my demise, it occurred to me that the "hot" sub had
> probably been a leftover pre-fab from lunch. Still get queasy when I
> see one of their ads.
>
> Nancy T

Strange. Every sandwich I ever had there was made to order. Can't blame
you for not wanting to try it again. Yuk!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> "Knit Chic" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>>>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for

> many
>
>>>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
>>>changed.
>>>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>>>different than Subway.
>>>Thanks,
>>>Dee Dee

>>IMO they are spendy for what you get. What you get is pretty average.
>>good luck.
>>

> I agree! $8.50 for a sub that looks smaller than the 6" subway? Uh uh. I
> went three times (because "they" say you have to give a place three times
> before you call it done) and one time Quiznos was even out of cheese! I've
> ordered soup, salad and subs there just to be fair and it's just NOT worth
> it.
>
> kili

I do like their "Bob" commercials though.

George

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > writes:

>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
>year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>different than Subway.

I really like Quiznos for fast food. They are expensive but their
ingredients are decent and I love the bread. They toast their subs
which is the main difference from Subway, and I think their meat is
better and fresher. I detest Subway and will never go back to one --
here in town, they use sliced bargain basement lunchmeat and undercooked
bread. The only other sammich place in town is Panera and I didn't like
it, either. Quiznos is my favorite, which probably puts me in the
minority.
I've never had Quiznos salads or soups, however, and never their beef
sandwiches. Just the chicken ones.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:

> I really like Quiznos for fast food. They are expensive but their
> ingredients are decent and I love the bread. They toast their subs
> which is the main difference from Subway, and I think their meat is
> better and fresher. I detest Subway and will never go back to one --
> here in town, they use sliced bargain basement lunchmeat and undercooked
> bread. The only other sammich place in town is Panera and I didn't like
> it, either. Quiznos is my favorite, which probably puts me in the
> minority.
> I've never had Quiznos salads or soups, however, and never their beef
> sandwiches. Just the chicken ones.

We have a soup and sandwich chain here called Atlanta Bread Company. It
serves imaginative sandwiches (no subs, but great breads) and very good
soups. They are always packed. A Panera is opening up across the street.
I wonder if they'll give them a run for their money?? I've never eaten
at one before.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Glitter Ninja wrote:
>
>> I really like Quiznos for fast food. They are expensive but their
>> ingredients are decent and I love the bread. They toast their subs
>> which is the main difference from Subway, and I think their meat is
>> better and fresher. I detest Subway and will never go back to one --
>> here in town, they use sliced bargain basement lunchmeat and undercooked
>> bread. The only other sammich place in town is Panera and I didn't like
>> it, either. Quiznos is my favorite, which probably puts me in the
>> minority.
>> I've never had Quiznos salads or soups, however, and never their beef
>> sandwiches. Just the chicken ones.

> We have a soup and sandwich chain here called Atlanta Bread Company. It
> serves imaginative sandwiches (no subs, but great breads) and very good
> soups. They are always packed. A Panera is opening up across the street. I
> wonder if they'll give them a run for their money?? I've never eaten at
> one before.

We stop at Atlanta Bread Company and Panera along the way from VA to CT.
(There is only one Atlanta Bread.) The Atlanta Bread is a large room with
tables; really no atmosphere compared to the Panera's. However, for the
money, I'll take Panera's everytime. I think Panera's quality is better
than the one Atlanta Bread; but there is some variation in the Panera's.
Specifically the one in Harrisonburg, VA (50 miles south of where I live)
gives about 1/2 of the amount of food that the others do. :-((
One difference between the two for me -- I feel like I've had some fun when
I go to Panera's. When I go to Atlanta Bread, I just feel like I've filled a
void.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many a
> year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

We went to one local Quiznos at a mall. Sandwich was thin, quite flat
and barely warm. Nothing like the posh fat sandwiches shown in their
telly ads. Vastly overpriced as well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
> a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> changed.
> I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> different than Subway.
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

alsandor wrote:

> Default User a écrit :
>
> > For subs in STL, I prefer to go the Amighetti's franchise at Village
> > Square (I know this means nothing to 99% of you).

> Probably, more accurately, 99,9%.

Doubt it's quite that high. That would mean that only 1 in 1000 would
know. There are at least three St. Louis residents that I know of among
the active participants in the group, who probably know what I mean. We
don't have much more than a few hundred actives, I'd say. Now, with a
small data set it's trickier to extrapolate to the pure lurkers, but
I'm confident that it wouldn't change the numbers much.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>
>>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
>>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
>>changed.
>>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>>different than Subway.
>>Thanks,
>>Dee Dee

> Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
> started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.

Quiznos was really good when they were a small chain around the Denver
area. When they went national, something changed. Same thing with Boston
Chicken (later Boston Market)--when they first started in the Boston
suburbs, they were really good. Almost like homemade dinner that Grandma
used to make. Then they went national and something changed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>
>>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
>>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
>>changed.
>>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
>>different than Subway.
>>Thanks,
>>Dee Dee

> Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
> started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.

Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
even invented them too).

Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> >>There is a new Quiznos in Winchester. We haven't gone to Subway for many
> >>a year, but we feel (from looking in when we pass by) that it has not
> >>changed.
> >>I'm wondering if anyone has been to Quiznos and knows if it is much
> >>different than Subway.
> >>Thanks,
> >>Dee Dee

> > Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
> > started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.
> >

> Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
> places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
> even invented them too).
>
> Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
> As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
> toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
reading that, must be getting old.
I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
are much better.
As for the Bob commercials, they make me want to go to some other
sandwich place, just to let them know how stupid I think those
commericials are. I think the first "talkie" had a talking baby in it.
There have been so many movies/tv shows/commercials with talking babies
over the years, not a good one yet. Pathetic, at best!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
> reading that, must be getting old.
> I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
> Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
> one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
> Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
> dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
> are much better.

Oh, I've got a great hole-in-the-wall in Denver I'd like to point you
to. My memory of where it is is a little hazy but maybe I can get you
there........let's see, it's called dayight Donuts, and it's off of
I-70 in Golden. There's an exit where I always stay when I come into
town for shows at Red Rocks.......there's a Sleep Inn and a fairfield
Inn and a steakhouse, all together, plus what used to be an IHOP but is
something else now. Right next to that is a little shopping center with
the Donut place i it; They have WONDERFUL middle eastern food----
felafel, babaghnoush, lentil soup, gyros - and the feta cheese is
handmade by the owner's wife! Great donuts, too.

Our joke is that we call it All Quaida Donuts, becasue last time we
were there (last summer), we went in two dys in a row. First day the
guy (Arab guy) was really friendly, etc. Second day, we came in and
yelled into the back, "See? Toldya we'd be back again today!" He
laughed and said he'd be right with us.....well, while we waited, we
listened to the Middle Eastern music he was playing, and our eye was
caught by his computer. He was watching Al-Jezeira (sp?) network! As
soon as he came into the room and noticed us staring at his monitor,
off went the music, off went the computer, on went the radio of
American pop hits. While we were eating, 3 Midlle Eastern guys came in
and they all huddled and whispered in the corner, pointedly looking
over their shoulder at us as we ate..........we weren't sure if many
folks like us come through their shop.

But to this day, it's the best Feta cheese I've ever eaten!

ps, not in any way trying to racial profile I hope the humor of the
situation came through. It was definitely weird, though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>>Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>>>Neither is rally all that good, but Subway improved (at least IMO) when they
>>>started to offer a toasted sandwich to compete with Quiznos.
>>>

>>Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
>>places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
>>even invented them too).
>>
>>Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
>>As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
>>toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

> Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
> reading that, must be getting old.

Thats the inference I get from the marketing "we are the best and look
at this great toasting idea we have..."

> I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
> Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
> one of those.

Look harder, there has to be one. In my area there are at least six
really good ones and you find them by asking around or asking someone
where they got that great (looking and smelling) sub they are eating.
And if you want a real treat and are in an area with an Asian population
look for a banh mi shop. They are a Vietnamese "sub" with interesting
ingredients and just happen to be toasted.

Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
> Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
> dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
> are much better.
> As for the Bob commercials, they make me want to go to some other
> sandwich place, just to let them know how stupid I think those
> commericials are. I think the first "talkie" had a talking baby in it.
> There have been so many movies/tv shows/commercials with talking babies
> over the years, not a good one yet. Pathetic, at best!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>

> > Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
> > reading that, must be getting old.
> > I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
> > Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
> > one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
> > Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
> > dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
> > are much better.

> Oh, I've got a great hole-in-the-wall in Denver I'd like to point you
> to. My memory of where it is is a little hazy but maybe I can get you
> there........let's see, it's called dayight Donuts, and it's off of
> I-70 in Golden. There's an exit where I always stay when I come into
> town for shows at Red Rocks.......there's a Sleep Inn and a fairfield
> Inn and a steakhouse, all together, plus what used to be an IHOP but is
> something else now. Right next to that is a little shopping center with
> the Donut place i it; They have WONDERFUL middle eastern food----
> felafel, babaghnoush, lentil soup, gyros - and the feta cheese is
> handmade by the owner's wife! Great donuts, too.
>
> Our joke is that we call it All Quaida Donuts, becasue last time we
> were there (last summer), we went in two dys in a row. First day the
> guy (Arab guy) was really friendly, etc. Second day, we came in and
> yelled into the back, "See? Toldya we'd be back again today!" He
> laughed and said he'd be right with us.....well, while we waited, we
> listened to the Middle Eastern music he was playing, and our eye was
> caught by his computer. He was watching Al-Jezeira (sp?) network! As
> soon as he came into the room and noticed us staring at his monitor,
> off went the music, off went the computer, on went the radio of
> American pop hits. While we were eating, 3 Midlle Eastern guys came in
> and they all huddled and whispered in the corner, pointedly looking
> over their shoulder at us as we ate..........we weren't sure if many
> folks like us come through their shop.
>
> But to this day, it's the best Feta cheese I've ever eaten!
>
> ps, not in any way trying to racial profile I hope the humor of the
> situation came through. It was definitely weird, though!

Thanks! If I get out that way, I'll go look for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Feb 2006 06:40:26 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:

>I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
>Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
>one of those. Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
>Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
>dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
>are much better.

What I like about Quiznos (and Subway or Blimpie) is that their
"small" vegetarian is precisely what I want. I don't want meat or a
lot of melted cheese or lots of chewy bread, just fresh vegetables on
a soft roll. I don't see how a mom & pop sub shop (if I knew where
one was) could improve on it. So for me, Quiznos is juuuust right

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > George wrote:

> >>Unfortunately all of the advertising makes people think that those two
> >>places are the *only* place you could possibly get a sub (maybe they
> >>even invented them too).
> >>
> >>Just like pizza the best subs are always at the local mom & pop joints.
> >>As far as toasted subs being a Quiznos idea one local place has been
> >>toasting subs on request for at least the past 25 years.

> > Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
> > reading that, must be getting old.

> Thats the inference I get from the marketing "we are the best and look
> at this great toasting idea we have..."
>

> > I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
> > Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
> > one of those.

> Look harder, there has to be one. In my area there are at least six
> really good ones and you find them by asking around or asking someone
> where they got that great (looking and smelling) sub they are eating.
> And if you want a real treat and are in an area with an Asian population
> look for a banh mi shop. They are a Vietnamese "sub" with interesting
> ingredients and just happen to be toasted.

I'll drop everything, including my son's wedding, and get right on it!

I've heard of one in S Denver, but I rarely go anywhere near that part
of town. I know they exist, but haven't found one anywhere close to
where I travel.
As for the Asian sandwich, sounds delicious, and the next time I'm over
in that part of town, and have some time, I'll ask around. Of course,
it might be 5 yrs before that happens!
As for "asking around", part of the problem here, is that, like in this
NG, I don't know many people here in Denver that know what a good sub
sandwich is. Most of them, like the posters here, think Subway is just
great. They don't want "chewy" bread. They've never had a "good sub"
like you get back east, and grew up on Wonder Bread. Actually, I grew
up on Wonder Bread, but have learned to appreciate real bread and won't
touch American white bread with a ten foot pole. To me, it can't be a
"good sub" without some good bread, and then the other ingredients
follow from there. Good bread is very rare here. Suprisingly, the best
European style bread I can get here is at Safeway's bakery! And I can
get American style good bread and Great Harvest. Thanks goodness. But
subs made with that kind of bread, hard to find. I can't remember
seeing a real Hoagie roll anywhere.
OTOH, we get 300 days a yr of sunshine!

> Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
> > Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
> > dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
> > are much better.
> > As for the Bob commercials, they make me want to go to some other
> > sandwich place, just to let them know how stupid I think those
> > commericials are. I think the first "talkie" had a talking baby in it.
> > There have been so many movies/tv shows/commercials with talking babies
> > over the years, not a good one yet. Pathetic, at best!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"salgud" > writes:

>Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
>reading that, must be getting old.

The cups at Quiznos have some sort of little blurb which does indeed
sound like they are trying to claim they invented the toasted sub.

>I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
>Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
>one of those.

I live in a small town myself and mom and pop sub places don't exist.
There aren't many non-chain restaurants at all -- two Mexican places,
one Thai, and one very high end wine bar. So for me, I'm pleased with
our Quiznos, but if I was in a more urban area, I'd search out something
better.

Stacia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

>>>I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
>>>Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
>>>one of those.

>>Look harder, there has to be one. In my area there are at least six
>>really good ones and you find them by asking around or asking someone
>>where they got that great (looking and smelling) sub they are eating.
>>And if you want a real treat and are in an area with an Asian population
>>look for a banh mi shop. They are a Vietnamese "sub" with interesting
>>ingredients and just happen to be toasted.

> I'll drop everything, including my son's wedding, and get right on it!

OK, got to address the important stuff first..

> I've heard of one in S Denver, but I rarely go anywhere near that part
> of town. I know they exist, but haven't found one anywhere close to
> where I travel.
> As for the Asian sandwich, sounds delicious, and the next time I'm over
> in that part of town, and have some time, I'll ask around. Of course,
> it might be 5 yrs before that happens!
> As for "asking around", part of the problem here, is that, like in this
> NG, I don't know many people here in Denver that know what a good sub
> sandwich is. Most of them, like the posters here, think Subway is just
> great. They don't want "chewy" bread. They've never had a "good sub"
> like you get back east, and grew up on Wonder Bread. Actually, I grew
> up on Wonder Bread, but have learned to appreciate real bread and won't
> touch American white bread with a ten foot pole. To me, it can't be a
> "good sub" without some good bread, and then the other ingredients
> follow from there. Good bread is very rare here. Suprisingly, the best
> European style bread I can get here is at Safeway's bakery! And I can
> get American style good bread and Great Harvest. Thanks goodness. But
> subs made with that kind of bread, hard to find. I can't remember
> seeing a real Hoagie roll anywhere.
> OTOH, we get 300 days a yr of sunshine!

I think a few weeks of snow and cold is better than having only
industrial food.

I agree about the wonder bread. A good sub needs a good roll that is a
little crispy and has real texture. Most of the real sub places in my
area use rolls made by a great local Italian bakery.

Sometimes your nose will hope you find real subs. I was working at a
location where I don't really know the area. There was the unmistakable
aroma of a really good sub coming from the break room across the hall. I
went over and asked and it turns out there was a mom & pop sub shop two
blocks away.

>>Compared to the alternatives, Quizno's is pretty good.
>>
>>>Someone above mentioned trying their Philly Cheese Steak and being
>>>dissappointed. Me too. Their Italian and some of their own inventions
>>>are much better.
>>>As for the Bob commercials, they make me want to go to some other
>>>sandwich place, just to let them know how stupid I think those
>>>commericials are. I think the first "talkie" had a talking baby in it.
>>>There have been so many movies/tv shows/commercials with talking babies
>>>over the years, not a good one yet. Pathetic, at best!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Glitter Ninja wrote:
> "salgud" > writes:
>

>>Did someone say that Quizno's invented the hot sub? I don't remember
>>reading that, must be getting old.

> The cups at Quiznos have some sort of little blurb which does indeed
> sound like they are trying to claim they invented the toasted sub.
>

>>I agree that many local mom & pop sub shops make a better sub than
>>Quizno's. Unfortunately, I live in Denver, Co, and I have yet to find
>>one of those.

> I live in a small town myself and mom and pop sub places don't exist.
> There aren't many non-chain restaurants at all -- two Mexican places,
> one Thai, and one very high end wine bar. So for me, I'm pleased with
> our Quiznos, but if I was in a more urban area, I'd search out something
> better.
>
> Stacia

Unfortunate, I live in a town whose population is <5,000 and there are
two mom & pop sub places and two mom & pop pizza places on Main street.
In the next town over which is famous for pizza there are four pizza
places. People around here know what real subs and pizza taste like. The
three local Pizza huts actually closed last year.