Nancree

Default QUIZNOS Sub sandwich---Ugh! So bad

Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good sub
demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way through.
Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).

What do you think?

~N~
notbob

On 2003-11-07, Nancree > wrote:
> Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good sub
> demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way through.
> Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
> tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).

I walked into a newly opened Q's. After taking one whiff of the
ambient aroma, I immediately walked out, never to return.

nb

Nancree > wrote:
> Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good sub
> demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way through.
> Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
> tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).

> What do you think?

This is the reason why I prefer to either make my own sandwhiches or buy
them from a local sandwhich joint or diner.

Greykits

>Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good
>sub
>demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way
>through.
>Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
>tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).
>
>What do you think?
>
>~N~

I like Quiznos better than Subway. One time I brought a veggie sub into the
classroom (classes started at 5 p.m. so this was dinner) and the other
students were envious. This had avocado, other veggies and cheese as I recall.

I tried their cheesesteak recently and wasn't too impressed. It had this
melted yellowish cheese glop on it. I am on a cheesesteak thing now and I
don't live near Philly. A few weeks ago, hubby brought home a Quizno sub
before their cheesesteak came out and it was much better. It might have been
the Hot Beefeater. I think it is listed on quiznos.com. I would definately
get another of these sanwiches.

rharps.com
levelwave

Nancree wrote:

> Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good sub
> demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way through.
> Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
> tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).
>
> What do you think?

It's like any other fast food joint... sometimes the fries are hot and
tasty... sometimes they're cold and soggy... I wouldn't exactly call
Quiznos good... but some visits have definitely been better than
others... Try the Mesquite Chicken sammich with honey mustard and
Japalenos...

~john!

Jack Schidt®

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a

good sub
> demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way

through.
> Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
> tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).
>
> What do you think?

I think you were raised by wolves.

Jack Lobos

TOM KAN PA

I think they're better than Subway's

Mr. Wizard

"Nancree" > wrote in message
> Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a

good sub
> demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way

through.
> Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
> tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).
>
> What do you think?
>
> ~N~

All the Quiznos around here have gone out of business.
There is too much competition from other sub shops
that actually serve a good product for $2 - $3 less.

Darryl L. Pierce

Nancree wrote:

> Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a
> good sub
> demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way
> through. Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was
> damp and
> tasteless. And it cost $7.00 (well, $6.99 with tax).
>
> What do you think?

I've not had Quiznos, but the sandwhiches in their commercials look very
unappealing to me. I've had Schlotzky's a few times, and hated them.
There's absolutely no reason to take a perfectly good cold sandwhich and
microwave it.

I grew up in south Jersey, and my whole opinion on subs was formed by the
Wawa hoagie. The rolls came from Amoroso and were very soft through and
through. Anything else is alien, although they can at times be delicious.
But, to me, it's not a hoagie unless the roll and the meats are what I
remember.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Darryl L. Pierce

TOM KAN PA wrote:

> I think they're better than Subway's

My wife has recently been on a Subway kick, maybe for the last 3 months or
so. The first time she bought one for me, it was downright horrible (but,
of course, I had to put on the smiling face so as not to hurt her feelings;
I didn't want to make her feel bad); the sandwich has way too much going
on. It wass upposed to be turkey, but it had black olives, red onions, some
kind of mustard, mayo, spices, etc. Too much. And, it was extremely messy
to eat. And the bread was also too busy competing with the rest in the
flavor department.

For me, it's very simple. The roll should be a background flavor and really
is there to keep you from getting your hands dirty. The meats should
compliment each other and the cheese. The vegetables should be mild and,
again, just enough to compliment the meats without distracting from them.
The same with the oils and spices.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
j*ni p.

Default Cook's Feelings (Was QUIZNOS Sub sandwich---Ugh! So bad)

Hark! I heard "Darryl L. Pierce" > say:

> My wife has recently been on a Subway kick, maybe for the last 3 months or
> so. The first time she bought one for me, it was downright horrible (but,
> of course, I had to put on the smiling face so as not to hurt her feelings;
> I didn't want to make her feel bad)

<snip>

This brings up something that I'm curious about -- as a cook, do
your loved ones tell you when you've served something they don't
like? And does this offend you?

One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
bother me at all, because I know it's just the recipe he doesn't
care for, not my cooking...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
PENMART01

(j*ni p.) inscribes the cave wall thusly:

>One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
>everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
>bother me at all

Hmm, castigates you in front of everyone... your dominant male is a tactless
clod... and of course you're obviously a sub-human wimp/chimp... you must also
groom M'Gumbo's crotch fleas, with your tongue... in public.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

BillKirch

>Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good
>sub
>demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way
>through.
>Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
>tasteless. And it cost $7.00

###############
I had a bad experince with them about heating it up on their conveyor belt
oven. I ordered an Italian and they INSISTED on heating it up...I told them I
didn't want it heated..they actually argued with me about it...also they are
verrrry slow. we have a place around here called Togos, wich is much better.
Subway is not all that great but
BillKirch

>Quiznos subs sounded so good, so I tried my first one today. I think a good
>sub
>demands a good crisp crusty roll. This was flat and soft, all the way
>through.
>Filling (Philly cheese stk) was so-so--but the whole thing was damp and
>tasteless. And it cost $7.00

#################
I had a bad experince with Quiznos. I ordered an Italian Sub and they INSISTED
on running it though their conveyor belt oven. I told them I didn't want it
heated and they actually argued with me about it. I told them I DON"T WANT IT
heated. "Oh it's better heated" noooo I don't want it heated. finally the
relented and pouted. They are also verrrry slow about putting sandwhiches
together. We have a chain around here ( LA) called TOGOS which is really quite
good...and fast. BG
notbob

On 2003-11-07, Darryl L. Pierce > wrote:
> TOM KAN PA wrote:
>
>> I think they're better than Subway's

> My wife has recently been on a Subway kick, maybe for the last 3 months or
> so. The first time she bought one for me, it was downright horrible (but,
> of course, I had to put on the smiling face so as not to hurt her feelings;
> I didn't want to make her feel bad); the sandwich has way too much going
> on.

Did you let your wife choose/make the sandwich?

When ordering a Subway sandwich, one should be face-to-face with the
s/w maker and be directing him as to what goes on it as he works. You
pick the bun, the meats, and the extras. That's how I do it and I get
the exact sandwich I want every time.

My only problem with Subway is not all outlets keep their ingredients
fresh. I've been to some outlets where the ingredients are moldy or
stale.

nb
Darryl L. Pierce

notbob wrote:

>>> I think they're better than Subway's

>> My wife has recently been on a Subway kick, maybe for the last 3 months
>> or so. The first time she bought one for me, it was downright horrible
>> (but, of course, I had to put on the smiling face so as not to hurt her
>> feelings; I didn't want to make her feel bad); the sandwich has way too
>> much going on.

> Did you let your wife choose/make the sandwich?

Yeah. I was home working, she was out and bringing home lunch.

> When ordering a Subway sandwich, one should be face-to-face with the
> s/w maker and be directing him as to what goes on it as he works. You
> pick the bun, the meats, and the extras. That's how I do it and I get
> the exact sandwich I want every time.

I've been to Subway a few times to pick up lunch and have done that and,
yes, the sandwiches are much better when you can stop them from putting the
extra crap on that you don't like. But, I miss the days of going to the
Wawa and watching as they sliced the meat for you as you ordered so that
you could get the meat thinner or thicker as you prefer.

> My only problem with Subway is not all outlets keep their ingredients
> fresh. I've been to some outlets where the ingredients are moldy or
> stale.

Blech! Moldy? Did anybody report that to the health department?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Darryl L. Pierce

j*ni p. wrote:

>> My wife has recently been on a Subway kick, maybe for the last 3 months
>> or so. The first time she bought one for me, it was downright horrible
>> (but, of course, I had to put on the smiling face so as not to hurt her
>> feelings; I didn't want to make her feel bad)

> <snip>
>
> This brings up something that I'm curious about -- as a cook, do
> your loved ones tell you when you've served something they don't
> like?

Oh, jaysus, yes. More often than not, my wife (who's strangely enough a
picky eater) doesn't share my enthusiasm for the different dishes I come up
with or find. Our oldest son takes after her, but fortunately our youngest
takes after me and samples everything I meake.

> And does this offend you?

Not really. Sometimes it hurts my when I think I've found something that
they'll really like and they end up not liking it even remotely. I've had
some big hits (especially with baking and with indian dishes) but there
have been more miserable failures (bacon and mushroom pasta, chicken
paprikas, goulash).

My most recent success was a 15 bean soup I made. My wife loved it.

> One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
> everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
> bother me at all, because I know it's just the recipe he doesn't
> care for, not my cooking...

With your husband do you find he enjoys your entrees or your desserts more?
My wife loves my baking but, as I described, is usually less impressed with
my entrees. To think it over, the only thing I've baked that she didn't
like was a lemon cake I made last summer. She's not one to enjoy lemony
tastes, which is too bad 'cause the cake was spot on delicious, including
the lemon icing...

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
j*ni p.

Hark! I heard "Darryl L. Pierce" > say:
> j*ni p. wrote:

<snip>

> > One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
> > everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
> > bother me at all, because I know it's just the recipe he doesn't
> > care for, not my cooking...

> With your husband do you find he enjoys your entrees or your desserts more?
> My wife loves my baking but, as I described, is usually less impressed with
> my entrees. To think it over, the only thing I've baked that she didn't
> like was a lemon cake I made last summer. She's not one to enjoy lemony
> tastes, which is too bad 'cause the cake was spot on delicious, including
> the lemon icing...

Oooh, I love lemon baked goods! Got a recipe?

I'd say he's equally happy with both entrees and desserts -- it's
actually pretty rare for him to say "please don't make this again".
It just happens that I like to try out new things at dinner parties
(I warn my guests ahead of time), so the aforementioned friend has
witnessed this reaction a time or two. Hubby and I laugh about the
friend's reaction (he looks so shocked!). I like the fact that he's
honest with me. I'd hate to think he's secretly dreading something
I've made, afraid to tell me the truth...

--
j*ni p. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!

tubby's at one time was the best out of the whole sub chains. now i
wouldn't eat any of them even for free.

Barry Grau

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message ws.com>...
> My wife has recently been on a Subway kick, maybe for the last 3 months or
> so. The first time she bought one for me, it was downright horrible (but,
> of course, I had to put on the smiling face so as not to hurt her feelings;
> I didn't want to make her feel bad); the sandwich has way too much going
> on. It wass upposed to be turkey, but it had black olives, red onions, some
> kind of mustard, mayo, spices, etc. Too much. And, it was extremely messy
> to eat. And the bread was also too busy competing with the rest in the
> flavor department.
>
> For me, it's very simple. The roll should be a background flavor and really
> is there to keep you from getting your hands dirty. The meats should
> compliment each other and the cheese. The vegetables should be mild and,
> again, just enough to compliment the meats without distracting from them.
> The same with the oils and spices.

I have no interest in promoting Subway, but all those extras -- black
olives, red onion, mustard, mayo, spices, etc -- are extras. You don't
have to have them.

-bwg
PENMART01

(j*ni p.) pleads:

>(PENMART01) orders:
>> (j*ni p.) inscribes the cave wall thusly:
>> >
>> >One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
>> >everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
>> >bother me at all

>>Hmm, castigates you in front of everyone... your dominant male
>>is a tactless clod... and of course you're obviously a sub-human
>>wimp/chimp... you must also groom M'Gumbo's crotch fleas, with
>>your tongue... in public.

>Oh hush, Sheldon -- you're wasting your time if you want a flame fest
>with me, I know you too well...

You know nothing, especially not of your master. I take your response as your
being in agreement with my assertion, oh subservient/submissive one. Tuh, tuh,
tut, quit your whimpering and blubbering... and I care not if you need to pee,
you'll pee when I grant you permission... cross your legs and bite your tongue,
but utter not a sound, slut. Now crawl on your belly and suck the cheese from
twixt your master's toes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Melba's Jammin'

In article m>,
"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote:
(snip) To think it over, the only thing I've
> baked that she didn't like was a lemon cake I made last summer.

Attitude, Darryl, attitude. Be glad she didn't care for it -- more for
you! "-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)

Darryl L. Pierce

Barry Grau wrote:

>> For me, it's very simple. The roll should be a background flavor and
>> really is there to keep you from getting your hands dirty. The meats
>> should compliment each other and the cheese. The vegetables should be
>> mild and, again, just enough to compliment the meats without distracting
>> from them. The same with the oils and spices.

> I have no interest in promoting Subway, but all those extras -- black
> olives, red onion, mustard, mayo, spices, etc -- are extras. You don't
> have to have them.

Yeah, of course. But, my wife had order a "turkey and cheese" and that was
what they considered to be a turkey and cheese sub....

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

A.T. Hagan wrote:

>>This brings up something that I'm curious about -- as a cook, do
>>your loved ones tell you when you've served something they don't
>>like? And does this offend you?

> I've got a four year old daughter. Not only does she always make it a
> point to tell me if she doesn't like something I've cooked she often
> tells me BEFORE she's even tasted it!
>
> Drives me nuts...

My 7 1/2 year old still does that. He's at the point now where he'll ask,
"What's for dinner?" and after I answer, he says, "And what am *I* having?"
My wife gave in for years to his pickiness but, now that I work from home
and therefore cook more meals, *I* get to tell him, "I repeat, *we're*
having ..."

<snip>

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

j*ni p. wrote:

>> With your husband do you find he enjoys your entrees or your desserts
>> more? My wife loves my baking but, as I described, is usually less
>> impressed with my entrees. To think it over, the only thing I've baked
>> that she didn't like was a lemon cake I made last summer. She's not one
>> to enjoy lemony tastes, which is too bad 'cause the cake was spot on
>> delicious, including the lemon icing...

> Oooh, I love lemon baked goods! Got a recipe?

CITRUS YELLOW CAKE

3C AP flour
2C sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2C milk
1/2C butter
1 1/2tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 tsp orange zest OR
1 tsp lemon zest

Sift flour and baking powder, then combine with sugar. Combine milk, butter
and vanilla then add to flour mixture. Beat in mixer on low until fully
combined, then beat on high for about 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat 2 more
minutes. Divide into two 9" pans. Bake at 375F until the cakes pass the
toothpick test (25-30 minutes). Remove from oven and allow to cool 10
minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool thoroughly.

LEMON/ORANGE BUTTER ICING

1/3C butter
4 1/2C sifted confectioner's sugar
1/4C lemon juice OR
1/4C orange juice
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon zest OR
1 tsp orange zest

Cream the butter. Gradually introduce the sugar, beating well. Slowly add
the (orange|lemon) juice and vanilla. Beat until smooth.

> I'd say he's equally happy with both entrees and desserts -- it's
> actually pretty rare for him to say "please don't make this again".
> It just happens that I like to try out new things at dinner parties
> (I warn my guests ahead of time), so the aforementioned friend has
> witnessed this reaction a time or two. Hubby and I laugh about the
> friend's reaction (he looks so shocked!). I like the fact that he's
> honest with me. I'd hate to think he's secretly dreading something
> I've made, afraid to tell me the truth...

In our case, my wife had surgery over a year ago which affected what she can
and can't eat. Certain foods she can't digest and cause her pains. She can
handle steak (but not ground beef) and breads (but not pastas). She can
handle salads and grilled chicken, but nothing with a skin or that's not
tender. Vegetables need to be well softened, but she can handle salad most
of the time.

So, I've had to guide my dish selections by those limitations, or if I
really want to try something that she can't eat, I have to buy her
permission with such things as cookies, cakes and specialty breads.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article m>,
> "Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote:
> (snip) To think it over, the only thing I've
>> baked that she didn't like was a lemon cake I made last summer.

> Attitude, Darryl, attitude. Be glad she didn't care for it -- more for
> you! "-)

Ah, yes! I like the way you think!

I *did* finish that cake in a matter of days. I made it on a sunday and
spend that night and the following two nights working until 4am-ish on a
project. Hell, the whole reason I *made* the cake was to let off a little
steam; I was working the whole weekend and was getting a bit overwhelmed.
My then-manager said, "go do something else for a while" and laughed quite
loudly when I talked to him later and told him I baked a cake! <g>

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Mpoconnor7

I ate at Quizno's once. Not a mistake I'll make again.

My favorite sub franchise chain is Jersey Mikes. Their subs cost a little more
than Subway, but they're much better. More meat, larger sub rolls.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
kalanamak

"j*ni p." wrote:

> One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
> everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
> bother me at all, because I know it's just the recipe he doesn't
> care for, not my cooking...

I am the cook I am because TJ the tall was the eater he was. I couldn't even
begin to sort out the nuances of Indian cooking from a book. It was his eating
dish X many times over years and patiently explaining what it was lacking that
gave me much of my skill as a taster. I have an excellent nose....but I didn't
know how to translate that into *what* was right or wrong with a dish. Now, in
all but Ethiopian cuisine, I feel pretty comfortable with flavours.
I wasn't offended....I was honoured to have such a patient critic.
blacksalt

J.J. [aka j*ni]

Hark! I heard kalanamak > say:
> "j*ni p." wrote:

> > One of our friends is amazed that Hubby will tell me, in front of
> > everyone, if he doesn't like something new I've made. It doesn't
> > bother me at all, because I know it's just the recipe he doesn't
> > care for, not my cooking...

> I am the cook I am because TJ the tall was the eater he was. I couldn't even
> begin to sort out the nuances of Indian cooking from a book. It was his eating
> dish X many times over years and patiently explaining what it was lacking that
> gave me much of my skill as a taster. I have an excellent nose....but I didn't
> know how to translate that into *what* was right or wrong with a dish. Now, in
> all but Ethiopian cuisine, I feel pretty comfortable with flavours.

Whew, you're *way* more experienced than I am. :-)

> I wasn't offended....I was honoured to have such a patient critic.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I think I gave the wrong impression in my
original post; that he was complaining or otherwise denegrating my
cooking. Quite the contrary -- he likes that I try new recipes, he
just doesn't always like those recipes and when that's the case, I
want to hear about it. He's put on about 20 pounds over the 14+ years
we've been married, so I must be doing something right... <grin>

--
J.J. ~ mom, gamer, novice cook ~
...fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum!
Sylvia

Default QUIZNOS Sub sandwich--- not so bad

I definitely haven't encountered soft bread there. I haven't tried the
Philly cheese steak but I'm not wild about the original. Their veggie
is pretty good, likewise their ham & cheese variations. The big problem
I've found is their dressings; their tanginess fights with the sandwich
flavors IMNSHO. Maybe I'll just ask for mayo next time.

To be honest, if I have unlimited time and gas I go to Blimpie's. But
if the choice is Subway, Quizno's, or going hungry, I'll typically do
Quizno's for their toasted rolls. (OTOH, if I'm REALLY in a hurry, a
Subway with a drive-through wins -- neither the lone Blimpie's in town
nor any of the Quizno's have a drive-through.)

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com