Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dinner last week and this week

I've been eating my delicious Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup
for the past week and a half. It should last through
this weekend. Think I'll make the Greek Homestyle Chicken
for next week.

I did learn one important thing - don't make Rhubarb Custard
Cake when you're having sauerkraut soup. Too much tartness.
I had the rhubarb languishing in the freezer since last summer
and I was craving it so I made the cake at the same time as
the soup. Not a good idea. I didn't really enjoy the cake
for dessert after eating the soup. I also made some flourless
peanut butter cookies. They were a lot better after the soup.
Live and learn.

Kate
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> I've been eating my delicious Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup
> for the past week and a half. It should last through
> this weekend.

I'll give you a hot stock tip if you give us the recipe. And I'm not
kidding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> > I've been eating my delicious Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup
> > for the past week and a half. It should last through
> > this weekend.

> I'll give you a hot stock tip if you give us the recipe. And I'm not
> kidding.

Doug

I've posted this several times over the years but here
it is again. I made my own tarhonya this time because I
don't have anywhere local to get it and forgot to pick
some up at the West Side Market the last time I was in
Cleveland. It's pretty easy to make but the grating part
could be easier. I might try it in the food processor
next time.

Kate

KORHELY LEVES
(Hungarian Sauerkraut Soup)

1 lb. sauerkraut
1/4 lb. bacon
1 small onion, finely chopped
3/4 c. tarhonya (egg barley)
1 T. flour
1 t. paprika
1/2 lb. smoked sausage*
1/4 c. sour cream

Cook fresh sauerkraut in its juice plus 2 cups of water for 1 hour.
Dice bacon in ¼" pieces, and slowly fry them until they start to render
fat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until it turns translucent. Add
the tarhonya and, stirring constantly, cook it until it swells and turns
golden brown. Sprinkle with flour and paprika, and continue to sauté
for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the sauerkraut and enough
liquid to make a thick soup (about 6 cups). Simmer for half an hour or
until the sauerkraut and tarhonya are nearly done. Slice the sausage
rather thinly (about ¼") and add to the soup. Simmer for 10 minutes
more, then let the soup cool somewhat. Blend about 2 T. of soup into
the sour cream, then slowly stir the sour cream mixture into the soup.
Taste and add more salt if needed - the soup should be very sharp and
sour. Reheat if necessary and serve hot. ("Hungarians swear by the
restorative powers of sauerkraut soup. Korhely is, in fact, an archaic
term for drunkard." From The Hungarian Cookbook by Susan Derecskey.)

Notes: I usually forego the flour. It's really not necessary. Also, I
usually add about 1 lb. of sausage - I like my soup very hearty. If
possible try to get real tarhonya. The egg barley you find in the
supermarkets is a very pale substitute. And don't use canned
sauerkraut. If you don't have a source of fresh, at least buy the stuff
in the plastic bags. If not using fresh just add directly to soup. It
is not necessary to cook it first. Try, also, to use imported Hungarian
paprika. It is infinitely superior to the stuff sold by
McCormick/Schilling, et al. Most well-stocked supermarkets will carry
the imported stuff. You can also order Hungarian ingredients from
Paprikas Weiss in NYC.

*This refers to Hungarian kolbasz which is somewhat similar to Polish
kolbassi but contains paprika. It is worth the effort to try to obtain
the real thing. However, kolbassi will make a very good soup. It just
won't taste as "Hungarian" as otherwise.

TARHONYA

3 cups flour
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1-2 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt

Sift flour into a bowl and add eggs, 1 egg yolk, and salt. Do not
crumble but knead these ingredients together into a very firm dough. If
dough does not stick together, flour may be too dry. If so, add half an
egg yolk or, if needed, a whole egg yolk. Press together and knead
until a firm dough is formed. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grate
dough on the widest side of the grater. Spread grated tarhonya on foil
and let dry for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.

Notes: I did it just the way they said but adding extra egg yolk at
the end doesn't work very well. Next time I will hold back some of
the flour and only add as much as I need. Also, I substituted 1 c.
semolina for 1 c. of the flour. The texture was perfect. Also, I
spread them out on cookie sheets and put them in a pre-warmed oven, then
turned off, overnight to dry. They will tend to stick together after
they're grated so after they're dried you will have to break them up.)