Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner for the week

I tend to cook a lot on weekends. :-) Last weekend, I roasted some
carrots and chicken hindquarters that lasted the week except on Thurs. I
steamed some Broccoli to add more veggies as the carrots were gone. (I'd
done 3 lbs. of carrots.)

I'd refrigerated the roasted juice from the chicken to defat it, then
froze it. I took it out yesterday to thaw for rice.

Today, I'm roasting more chicken but this time I cut the hindquarters up
and removed the backs for stock. I had a leek to use up, so topped the
chicken with lemon pepper, garlic powder and a mix of finely sliced
leeks and celery. The carrots in the roasting pan got a treatment of
garlic, lemon pepper and dill weed.

Finally, there was a bag of brussel sprouts that dad had bought, so I
trimmed and washed those, then dumped them on top of the chicken with a
sprinkling of more lemon pepper and dill. (I'm using my 16 qt. table top
roaster to cook the whole mess all at once!). The timer is set for 1 1/2
hours at 375.

Meanwhile, I took the roasted mixed veggie and chicken stock from last
week and put that in the pressure cooker with the four chicken backs I
removed from the hindquarters along with one chopped carrot, the celery
tops from the stalks I used for the chicken, finely chopped and the leek
tops sliced thinly. Added water until it was 3/4 full (It's a 5 quart
cooker) and have that going. Timing was perfect, took me only 15
minutes to set up the pressure cooker so that will be time for 1 hour
and 15 minutes to make a good chicken stock. :-)

I'll add the new roasted stock that todays cooking will result in to
that and defat overnight.

Tomorrow, I'll make a mix of brown and red rice with the resulting
chicken stock and add more celery and carrots to that, along with some
peas and probably some separately scrambled eggs and some chopped
roasted chicken thigh meat. Probably toss a diced onion into that too.

That will more than last us out the week. I'm glad the Hobart is holding
right at 32 degrees right now. I've had problems with stuff freezing in
there lately! I had it serviced last month...
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-03-01, Omelet > wrote:

> Tomorrow, I'll make a mix of brown and red rice......

That's a new one. Have never heard of "red rice", either here or in
general. What is it, Om?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2009-03-01, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Tomorrow, I'll make a mix of brown and red rice......

> That's a new one. Have never heard of "red rice", either here or in
> general. What is it, Om?
>
> nb

Red rice. There is more than one variety. Here is a pic of a mix I've
made in the past:

http://i40.tinypic.com/28qw65k.jpg

I tend to avoid the red cargo rice from the asian market as it's as bad
as black rice about bleeding color with the gluten.
Plain red rice makes for a more visually attractive dish.

It has a delightfully nutty flavor as well.

You need to shop a good asian market. The variety of rices are rather
large to put it mildly!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> > Tomorrow, I'll make a mix of brown and red rice......

>> That's a new one. Have never heard of "red rice", either here or in
>> general. What is it, Om?
>>
>> nb

> Red rice. There is more than one variety. Here is a pic of a mix I've
> made in the past:
>
> http://i40.tinypic.com/28qw65k.jpg
>
> I tend to avoid the red cargo rice from the asian market as it's as bad
> as black rice about bleeding color with the gluten.
> Plain red rice makes for a more visually attractive dish.
>
> It has a delightfully nutty flavor as well.
>
> You need to shop a good asian market. The variety of rices are rather
> large to put it mildly!
> --
> Peace! Om

Hi Om,
Did you mean to say you avoided buying red cargo rice in the supermarket?
What is cargo rice?

I picked up a bag of Bhutanese red rice and a bag of black 'imperial' rice
at the supermarket on the closeout rack. These were packaged by Lotus Foods.
I've only tried the black rice so far, with less than stellar results.

The color really bled, which might have been ok if the liquid had even come
close to being absorbed. Unfortunately the rice never got tender and half
the liquid which was inky purplish-black was left in the pot. I'm going to
try it with half the liquid next time but I'm thinking this is why it was on
the discount rack.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Zeppo_m" > wrote:

> >> That's a new one. Have never heard of "red rice", either here or in
> >> general. What is it, Om?
> >>
> >> nb

> > Red rice. There is more than one variety. Here is a pic of a mix I've
> > made in the past:
> >
> > http://i40.tinypic.com/28qw65k.jpg
> >
> > I tend to avoid the red cargo rice from the asian market as it's as bad
> > as black rice about bleeding color with the gluten.
> > Plain red rice makes for a more visually attractive dish.
> >
> > It has a delightfully nutty flavor as well.
> >
> > You need to shop a good asian market. The variety of rices are rather
> > large to put it mildly!
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> Hi Om,
> Did you mean to say you avoided buying red cargo rice in the supermarket?
> What is cargo rice?

Cargo Red Rice:

http://i44.tinypic.com/j0idlk.jpg

> I picked up a bag of Bhutanese red rice and a bag of black 'imperial' rice
> at the supermarket on the closeout rack. These were packaged by Lotus Foods.
> I've only tried the black rice so far, with less than stellar results.

Grocery stores are not like Asian market. <g>

> The color really bled, which might have been ok if the liquid had even come
> close to being absorbed. Unfortunately the rice never got tender and half
> the liquid which was inky purplish-black was left in the pot. I'm going to
> try it with half the liquid next time but I'm thinking this is why it was on
> the discount rack.
>
> Jon

There are different varieties of red rice. Some bleed color, some don't.
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote in
news

> Cargo Red Rice:
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/j0idlk.jpg

Strange.

Never seen that sort before. And I've spent quite a bit of time in Asian
stores!!

But I do like the 'Self Clean' button on the doo-dad behind the rice :-)

I just wish my kitchen would self-clean right about now!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Killfile all Google Groups posters.........

http://improve-usenet.org/

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
PeterLucas > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote in
> news >
>

> > Cargo Red Rice:
> >
> > http://i44.tinypic.com/j0idlk.jpg
> >

> Strange.
>

> Never seen that sort before. And I've spent quite a bit of time in Asian
> stores!!
>

> But I do like the 'Self Clean' button on the doo-dad behind the rice :-)
>
> I just wish my kitchen would self-clean right about now!!

Heh! It went bad tho' and started coming on spontaniously. My stove is
currently unplugged and has been now for about 1 1/2 years. I'm cooking
on hot plates, microwave, electric grill and table top roaster. I do ok
with the gadgets.

Spare money is an oxymoron at the moment with the health care expenses.