Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Must have brands -- accept no substitutes

I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
for which I must have a particular brand.

Heinz ketchup
Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
Pace salsa
Tabasco hot sauce

Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Yes, Tabasco!
Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 07 Feb 2006 05:41:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?

> Tara wrote:
>> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
>> for which I must have a particular brand.
>>
>> Heinz ketchup
>> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
>> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
>> Pace salsa
>> Tabasco hot sauce
>>
>> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>>
>> Tara

> Yes, Tabasco!
> Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

Yes, Tabasco!
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Heinz 57 Sauce
Coleman's Dry Mustard

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

Oreos
Ben & Jerry's
Hershey for cocoa

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

I have a lot of *must have* brands. Here's a sampling but there are a
lot mo Lea Perrins Worchestershire Sauce, Crosse & Blackwell Old
English Fish & Chip Vinegar, Heinz vinegars especially pickling vinegar,
Diana Sauce, Tobasco Hot Sauce, Frank's Hot Sauce, Maggi Seasoning
(sauce). This doesn't even begin to touch on my preferences for spices,
sugars, salts, or oils.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

I used to like Peek Frean biscuits. Recently they started packaging them
in boxes rather than bags. I expected that to mean fewer broken cookies.
I was wrong on that one. I found more broken than I had with the bags. I
also noticed that some of the varieties of cookies had changed. I was
going to write the company to let them know that I thought the change
was bad. It turns out that Peak Freans is now part of the Kraft
conglomerate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
>I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Reynold's wrap
Bounty towels
boar's head cold cuts
Teri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce

I can see maintaining brand loyalty to a few things like ketchup and
mayo. But a lot of foods and condiments lend themselves to great
variety in their making, and by sticking to just one brand you miss out
on that variety. Salsas and hot sauces, for example, can range far
from what Pace and Tabasco offer. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yes, Tabasco!

Yep

> Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

Yep

> Heinz 57 Sauce

I have been living quite happily without that.

> Coleman's Dry Mustard

Kean's Dry Mustard

Agnostura bitters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Best Foods mayo - I get complaints when I buy something different so
there is a difference in flavor from store brands.
C&H sugar - that sugar beet stuff smells vile
Niman Ranch bacon

marcella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.

I don't understand the Duke's thing. When I moved to VA, I was told
that Duke's is a true southerner's mayo, whereas Helman's/Best Foods is
for northerners and west coast gals. I bought a small jar of Duke's and
found that I coulnd't taste a difference. I but Hellman's?best Foods
becaue they have a decent tasting lowfat mayo. It used to be called
Just2Good, but now it's just lowfat mayo. So that's my brand loyalty.

Annies or Ken's for bottled salad dressings. Mostly I make my own. Blue
Bonnet for margarine, used sometimes for baking. It's what my mother
used, that's why i use it.

Daisy or Breakstone's Sour Cream, definitely. They actually taste sour.
(And the lowfat versions are prtty good too.) And they're natural
style, so they don't use gelatin as thickeners.

Tropicana O.J.

Realemon over store brand, never seen any other choice.

Contadina tomato paste. I think it's got less sugar than many brands.

OT pet peeve: I HATE the fact that they've started using plastic jars
instead of glass for their mayo. I love the size of the jars and I
would wash them, then re-use them to freeze spaghetti sauce or soups.
And I don't believe the new plastic ones are taken by my city for
recycling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

"Tara" > wrote in message
>I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce

montreal-fish seasoning.

bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

"Teri" > wrote in message

> boar's head cold cuts

used to say that til i tried "black bear" from target..better, IMO.

bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara > wrote in
:

> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup

Del Monte ketchup, heinz is too watery

> Tabasco hot sauce

Tapatio, tobasco adds a vinegar flavor, while tapatio uses no vinegar. So
you can add as much as you like to get a lot of heat with no major
flavor/acidity change.

--
---
Charles Quinn

"Choosing the lesser of two evils, is still choosing evil" - Jerry Garcia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:36:19 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
>for which I must have a particular brand.
>
>Heinz ketchup
>Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
>Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
>Pace salsa
>Tabasco hot sauce
>
>Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

Bufalo chipotle sauce.

modom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

WHAT?????????????????????
Tabasco Chipotle is no more??
Just because it took me a year to use a bottle (I live alone) . . .
I use canned chipotles for most things in quantity, but it was sure
nice to have quick & easy Tabasco around!

As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates, real butter
(no margerine)

Gotta think some more

Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Feb 2006 17:57:31 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:

>Tara wrote:
>
>> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
>> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.

>I don't understand the Duke's thing. When I moved to VA, I was told
>that Duke's is a true southerner's mayo, whereas Helman's/Best Foods is
>for northerners and west coast gals. I bought a small jar of Duke's and
>found that I coulnd't taste a difference. I but Hellman's?best Foods
>becaue they have a decent tasting lowfat mayo. It used to be called
>Just2Good, but now it's just lowfat mayo. So that's my brand loyalty.

*nod* For regular mayo, we must have Best Foods/Hellman's or Kraft.
For low-fat, either of their light mayos will do. For vegan, it's
Vegenaise or nothing.

>Annies or Ken's for bottled salad dressings. Mostly I make my own. Blue
>Bonnet for margarine, used sometimes for baking. It's what my mother
>used, that's why i use it.

I make my own salad dressing, but I like almost any prepared dressing,
except for bottled ranch -- the only ranch I like is the Hidden Valley
made with mayo and milk/buttermilk.

Real butter or Earth Balance margarine (same maker as Smart Balance,
but it's vegan).

>Daisy or Breakstone's Sour Cream, definitely. They actually taste sour.

Daisy is my fave, and their light is hard to distinguish from regular.

>Tropicana O.J.

We buy it so seldom that when I'm in the mood, I get it fresh-squeezed
in a one-glass serving.

>Realemon over store brand, never seen any other choice.

Real lemons, no substitute. Ever. :-)

>Contadina tomato paste. I think it's got less sugar than many brands.

Whatever's cheapest.

>OT pet peeve: I HATE the fact that they've started using plastic jars
>instead of glass for their mayo. I love the size of the jars and I
>would wash them, then re-use them to freeze spaghetti sauce or soups.
>And I don't believe the new plastic ones are taken by my city for
>recycling.

I'm with you.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:36:19 GMT, Tara > wrote:

>I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
>for which I must have a particular brand.
>
>Heinz ketchup

Yep!

>Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
>Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.

Hellman's or Best Foods.

>Pace salsa

We have a wiiiiiide range of salsa favorites.

>Tabasco hot sauce

Tabasco, Red Hot, Green Tabasco, Tapatio, depends on our mood.

>Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.

Vegenaise vegan mayo substitute
Earth Balance margarine
Andersen's pea soup (without bacon -- I got the recipe from their
restaurant, and make it myself, but if I buy it prepared, I buy
theirs)
Berkeley Bowl coffee beans (Peets if it's not available)
Niblets canned corn
Hidden Valley ranch dressing, from the packets, NOT the bottles

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

I'm more about content. I prefer canned and packaged products with less
sodium and fewer preservatives. I *do* prefer Heinz ketchup, Hellman's
mayonnaise, and RedHot hot sauce, but I can make do with any old thing,
as long as it doesn't taste *bad*. 90% of my grocery purchases are Aldi
products and store brand items at other retailers. I'll shop around for
loss leader items, but try to do that in one fell swoop a week (though
there have been fewer sales that I have been willing to go out of my way
for recently.). In the past I purchased more name brand products, and
even now, when I purchase them as loss-leaders, I don't often notice a
difference in quality.If I could afford to right now, I would pay more
money for higher quality fresh foods (meat veggies and dairy, etc.) but
if price were no object, I would not be buying the major national brands
for the most part. I feel pretty confident in the kitchen at this point,
and if I came upon something wholly mediocre I suppose I could fix it up
nice like

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:
> I'm more about content. I prefer canned and packaged products with less
> sodium and fewer preservatives.

That's me as well. I don't buy many canned or boxed items. Sauces and
such are purchased for DH and he's picky - must have his Heinz ketchup,
Miracle Whip, etc. Just gimme some generic yellow mustard, LOL...

> I *do* prefer Heinz ketchup, Hellman's
> mayonnaise, and RedHot hot sauce, but I can make do with any old thing,
> as long as it doesn't taste *bad*. 90% of my grocery purchases are Aldi
> products and store brand items at other retailers.

I sure wish we had Aldi here. We don't even have anything that comes
close.

> I'll shop around for
> loss leader items, but try to do that in one fell swoop a week (though
> there have been fewer sales that I have been willing to go out of my way
> for recently.). In the past I purchased more name brand products, and
> even now, when I purchase them as loss-leaders, I don't often notice a
> difference in quality.If I could afford to right now, I would pay more
> money for higher quality fresh foods (meat veggies and dairy, etc.)

That's exactly what we do. We shop for quality for fresh items, and
pretty much buy what is cheap and still tastes good for the other
stuff. I make most things from scratch.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> That's exactly what we do. We shop for quality for fresh items, and
> pretty much buy what is cheap and still tastes good for the other
> stuff. I make most things from scratch.
>
> -L.

heh. you might get a kick out of this, an attempt on my part to be all
sarcastic and clever:
http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/2006/0...-paint_27.html

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sarah bennett wrote:
> -L. wrote:
> > That's exactly what we do. We shop for quality for fresh items, and
> > pretty much buy what is cheap and still tastes good for the other
> > stuff. I make most things from scratch.
> >
> > -L.
> >

> heh. you might get a kick out of this, an attempt on my part to be all
> sarcastic and clever:
> http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/2006/0...-paint_27.html

Heh - love it! This is sort of bizarre, but in that pic you sort of
look like me. May be the glasses.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 07 Feb 2006 05:41:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?
>

> > Tara wrote:
> >> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> >> for which I must have a particular brand.
> >>
> >> Heinz ketchup
> >> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> >> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> >> Pace salsa
> >> Tabasco hot sauce
> >>
> >> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
> >>
> >> Tara

> > Yes, Tabasco!
> > Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

> Yes, Tabasco!
> Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
> Heinz 57 Sauce
> Coleman's Dry Mustard

Out of interest I've never seen Heinz 57 over here in Limey Land.
What's it like (in a nutshell)
I'd personally add HP sauce to the list, a proper english brown sauce.

Doc

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 08 Feb 2006 03:37:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dr
Hfuhruhurr?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Yes, Tabasco!
>> > Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

>> Yes, Tabasco!
>> Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
>> Heinz 57 Sauce
>> Coleman's Dry Mustard

> Out of interest I've never seen Heinz 57 over here in Limey Land.
> What's it like (in a nutshell)
> I'd personally add HP sauce to the list, a proper english brown sauce.

I was trying to think of a way to describe it, and comparing it to HP Sauce
I would say that it's much lighter in color and has a more vinegary flavor.
Wikipedia says, "Heinz 57 is also the name of one variety of Heinz steak
sauce. It is distinctive from other steak sauces in its color and flavor.
Heinz 57 is a reddish sauce with a taste more akin to spicy ketchup than to
other steak sauces. Heinz often markets the sauce as 'ketchup with a kick'
to highlight this distinction." I'm not sure I would have compared it to
ketchup.)

Having said that, I also would add HP Sauce to the list, although I don't
know if the version of HP sold here in the US is the same as that in the
UK. I do prefer it to A-1 Steak Sauce, another very popular brand here in
the US.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Kind Bud
Heineken
Marlboro

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 07 Feb 2006 05:41:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it dee?
>

>>Tara wrote:
>>
>>>I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
>>>for which I must have a particular brand.
>>>
>>>Heinz ketchup
>>>Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
>>>Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
>>>Pace salsa
>>>Tabasco hot sauce
>>>
>>>Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>>>
>>>Tara

>>Yes, Tabasco!
>>Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

> Yes, Tabasco!
> Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

There is a regional canner/bottler in the NE that besides their
excellent mustard and pickles makes a Worcestershire sauce that even
tastes better than the Lea & Perrins.

> Heinz 57 Sauce
> Coleman's Dry Mustard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Tara wrote:
>
>>I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
>>for which I must have a particular brand.
>>
>>Heinz ketchup
>>Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
>>Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
>>Pace salsa
>>Tabasco hot sauce

> I can see maintaining brand loyalty to a few things like ketchup and
> mayo. But a lot of foods and condiments lend themselves to great
> variety in their making, and by sticking to just one brand you miss out
> on that variety. Salsas and hot sauces, for example, can range far
> from what Pace and Tabasco offer. -aem

Yes, that can be true even for ketchup. We don't buy the Heinz brand
(after growing up using it) because it is way too sweet for our taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Tara wrote:
>
> > I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> > for which I must have a particular brand.
> >
> > Heinz ketchup
> > Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> > Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> > Pace salsa
> > Tabasco hot sauce
> >
> > Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
> >

> I used to like Peek Frean biscuits. Recently they started packaging them
> in boxes rather than bags. I expected that to mean fewer broken cookies.
> I was wrong on that one. I found more broken than I had with the bags. I
> also noticed that some of the varieties of cookies had changed. I was
> going to write the company to let them know that I thought the change
> was bad. It turns out that Peak Freans is now part of the Kraft
> conglomerate.

How about looking on the packaging for an 800 phone number and call
them? Last year I bought Green Giant frozen broccoli and found mostly
stems and very small florets. I called them and they sent me coupons
for replacement vegs. I used the coupons to buy their corn, which is
always good. The same with Europe's Best frozen asparagus that were
extremely tough and stringy. I used those coupons for their frozen baby
corn. After all that I bought Kraft peanut butter and found lumps of dry
peanut butter in it. In all cases, they sent coupons for replacement.
I expect quality in brand names. I used to buy the store brand of
frozen broccoli, but Green Giant was on sale cheaper, the peanut butter
was also on sale and I "splurged" instead of buying the (perfectly
acceptable) store brand. I did buy peanut butter with the Kraft
coupons, though. The asparagus was a treat because it was out of season
and I had a coupon. It's worth a phone call.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:36:19 GMT, Tara >
> wrote:
>
> >I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> >for which I must have a particular brand.
> >
> >Heinz ketchup

> I grew up in Pittsburgh and have never bought anything other than
> Heinz ketchup. It was as you say - accept no substitutes. I used
> to boycott places that didn't serve Heinz.
>
> Until yesterday when I bought "Parade" ketchup (an IGA store
> brand). I could swear this is just Heinz in different packaging.
> And at half the price.

Read the label.... they usually say "packaged by "...." for "......"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo" > wrote

> As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates

Redi-Base beat out Better than in the beef category
in Cook's Illustrated, as a matter of fact, the Better than
was not recommended.

Just FYI.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 08 Feb 2006 06:10:44a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it George?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>>Yes, Tabasco!
>>>Maggi seasoning sauce (I know cheat a bit)

>> Yes, Tabasco!
>> Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

> There is a regional canner/bottler in the NE that besides their
> excellent mustard and pickles makes a Worcestershire sauce that even
> tastes better than the Lea & Perrins.

Do you know the name of the brand? I'm in the SW, however, so it probably
isn't distributed in my area.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2006 17:57:31 -0800, "Jude" > wrote:
>
> >Tara wrote:
> >Contadina tomato paste. I think it's got less sugar than many brands.

> Whatever's cheapest.
>
> >OT pet peeve: I HATE the fact that they've started using plastic jars
> >instead of glass for their mayo. I love the size of the jars and I
> >would wash them, then re-use them to freeze spaghetti sauce or soups.
> >And I don't believe the new plastic ones are taken by my city for
> >recycling.

Contidina's also has way less salt than Hunt's, and less than Del Monte.
But Del Monte has Bavarian style sauerkraut with caraway seeds. Gnam! Kraft
Light Done Right French Dressing.
And we have to school the recyclers - show them the numbers on the bottom
of the jars. I did it.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:11:25 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

>http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

Your "Greek" meatballs look so yummy!

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message

> Tabasco hot sauce

Yes...Tabasco is the Holy of Holies; thou shalt not use
any substitute. ( I do keep a bottle of Frank's around as well,
but that's only for authentic Buffalo wings...it does NOT go
in anything as a substitute for the One True Tabasco, ever!)

Kraft Mac & Cheese - when you're doing mac from a box,
there's no other way.

There also doesn't appear to be anything, really, that competes
with Velveeta in terms of "brick of cheeselike gunk in a box,"
but then I can't really say I'm a big Velveeta user. It's just that
I've noticed that there ISN'T anything else like this.

Nothing, IMHO, seems to compete with Celestial Seasonings
tea, either. And THAT stuff I keep on hand in huge quantities!

Not a food, but Elmer's glue is the only thing I would accept
for...well....for Elmer's glue! Ditto Scotch brand tape - the
competition just isn't the same.

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> Steve Wertz > hitched up their panties and posted
> :
>
> > On 7 Feb 2006 20:33:48 -0800, "Lynn from Fargo" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>WHAT?????????????????????
> >>Tabasco Chipotle is no more??

> > None of the stores in my area have had it for at least a year. The
> > "Tabasco Locator" on their site says it's available, but it lies.

I know I've seen it recently in several stores here in CO.
Maybe the Tabasco people just figured that there was no
point in selling this stuff in those parts of the country where
y'all couldn't say "chipotle" correctly....;-)

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:
> I buy a good number of store brands, but there are a very few items
> for which I must have a particular brand.
>
> Heinz ketchup
> Duke's mayonnaise -- until very recently, it was Hellman's. I like
> Duke's better now; I'm not sure why.
> Pace salsa
> Tabasco hot sauce
>
> Hmm .... condiments only. I'll probably add more to the list later.
>
> Tara

Kellogg's Rice Krispies: The other brands don't seem to be as toasty.
Old El Paso chili seasoning mix: It's the only chili powder I know
that has cocoa in it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I find the store brands of sour cream just fine. I'll buy Daisy when it's
> on sale. Same with cream cheese and Philadelphia. Sometimes there is a huge
> price difference. I'm not a cheap person, I'm just thrifty sometimes.

ooh! that reminds me. I prefer Breakstone's sour cream over any other
brand or store brand, but I only buy it when it is on sale. The rest of
the time I'll use whatever.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

serene wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:11:25 GMT, sarah bennett
> > wrote:
>

>>http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

> Your "Greek" meatballs look so yummy!
>
> serene

thanks! I had to come up with something to use up some yogurt

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 08 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "Lynn from Fargo" > wrote
>
> > As for brands. . . Better than Bouillon stock concentrates

> Redi-Base beat out Better than in the beef category
> in Cook's Illustrated, as a matter of fact, the Better than
> was not recommended.
>
> Just FYI.
>
> nancy

I like redi base...but I haven't seen or tried better than so I can't say
for sure. I use Redi's chicken and their turkey pastes a fair bit. Redi
base's clam stock makes good chowder as well.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.