Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Paula's Home Cooking" Green Bean Recipe

Paula's Home Cooking program Feb 1, 4pm EST, demonstrates the rfc
much-discussed holidays' green-bean recipe. I see she uses "fresh" green
beans. Recipe just fyi:

1/3 stick butter
1/2 cup diced onions "
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups sliced green beans
3 cups chicken broth
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 cup grated Cheddar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute the onions and mushrooms in the
butter. Boil green beans in chicken broth for 10 minutes and drain. Add the
green beans, mushroom soup, onion rings, and House Seasoning, to taste, to
the onion mixture. Stir well. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
Bake for 20 minutes, then top the casserole with the Cheddar and bake for 10
minutes longer, or until the casserole is hot and cheese is melted.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6
months.

Other Recipes from this Episode
Black Bean Salsa
Apple Baked Bean Casserole
Peanut Butter Cake

Dee Dee

Attached Images

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:21:36 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>Paula's Home Cooking program Feb 1, 4pm EST, demonstrates the rfc
>much-discussed holidays' green-bean recipe. I see she uses "fresh" green
>beans. Recipe just fyi:
>
>1/3 stick butter
>1/2 cup diced onions "
>1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
>2 cups sliced green beans
>3 cups chicken broth
>1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
>1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
>Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
>1 cup grated Cheddar

Melted cheddar on top of this casserole??? gag....

The redeeming part of this casserole is the crunchy onions on top.

Adding cheese to this recipe is the evil twin of gilding the lily.
Has she no shame? ;>

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:21:36 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
>>Paula's Home Cooking program Feb 1, 4pm EST, demonstrates the rfc
>>much-discussed holidays' green-bean recipe. I see she uses "fresh" green
>>beans. Recipe just fyi:
>>
>>1/3 stick butter
>>1/2 cup diced onions "
>>1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
>>2 cups sliced green beans
>>3 cups chicken broth
>>1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
>>1 (2.8-ounce) can French-fried onion rings
>>Pinch House Seasoning, recipe follows
>>1 cup grated Cheddar

> Melted cheddar on top of this casserole??? gag....
>
> The redeeming part of this casserole is the crunchy onions on top.
>
> Adding cheese to this recipe is the evil twin of gilding the lily.
> Has she no shame? ;>
>
> Sue(tm)

Certainly agree with your opinion.
Wonder when this cheese topping addition happened. I guess she's just
taking a 'good thang' and making it even better :-).
As for me in the 50's I never saw it with cheese. But then I think she is
probably a generation or two younger than me.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Curly Sue wrote:

> Melted cheddar on top of this casserole??? gag....
>
> The redeeming part of this casserole is the crunchy onions on top.

Agree that melted cheddar would make it even worse. Disagree that
anything can redeem this "traditional" glop. I actually ventured a
forkful of it over the past holidays. Won't have to try it again for
another ten years or so. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Agree that melted cheddar would make it even worse. Disagree that
> anything can redeem this "traditional" glop. I actually ventured a
> forkful of it over the past holidays. Won't have to try it again for
> another ten years or so. -aem

I have to admit that I was completely ignorant of this American tradition
until this past year. The first time I saw it I was reminded of a dish
that my mother served us when I was a kid. I had recently been to visit
my mother's aunt and uncle on their pig farm, and it reminded me too much
of the look of the pig slop.

My mother made this casserole and brought it along for Christmas dinner
this year. I couldn't help but think of her attempt to feed me something
like that more than 40 years ago, but I tried it. I have to say it was
pretty tasty. It wasn't good enough that I would insist on having it for
Thanksgiving every year, but I certainly would try it again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have to admit that I was completely ignorant of this American tradition
> until this past year.

It isn't a "tradition" in MY house or family. Ugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 sez:

> It isn't a "tradition" in MY house or family. Ugh.

Nor in mine! Double-Ugh.

My family does have its own traditions, of course, some of which might be
ugh-inducing to y'all.

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"