Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The dreaded "green bean casserole"

After 68 yrs, I finally caved!

We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.

I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
>
> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
>
> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
>
> nb

Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-19 5:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
>>
>> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
>> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
>>
>> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
>> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
>> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
>>
>> nb

> Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> good.

I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching him
slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her cook
Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of preparing
the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many Americans liked
it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was surprisingly good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2016-11-19 5:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
> > >
> > > We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge.
> > > At least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke
> > > about.
> > >
> > > I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> > > tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I
> > > understand why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at
> > > its best!
> > >
> > > nb

> > Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> > good.
> >

> I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
> reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching
> him slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her
> cook Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of
> preparing the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many
> Americans liked it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was
> surprisingly good.

Hehehe I give it that! I like to add the traditional fried onion
topping as well.

It's when try to 'improve it' with nuts and things, that that the
simple charm is lost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2016 5:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
> reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching him
> slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her cook
> Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of preparing
> the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many Americans liked
> it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was surprisingly good.

I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.

Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.

I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.

The crispy fried onions are requisite.

Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
sprouts. And acorn squash.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/19/2016 5:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
>> reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching him
>> slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her cook
>> Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of preparing
>> the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many Americans liked
>> it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was surprisingly good.

> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>
> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
> Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your own
> cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
>
> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
> with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>
> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>
> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.
>
> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels sprouts.
> And acorn squash.
>
> Jill

I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
bean casserole. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Cheri says...

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> > confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
> >
> > Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
> > Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your own
> > cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
> >
> > I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
> > with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
> >
> > The crispy fried onions are requisite.
> >
> > Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.
> >
> > On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels sprouts.
> > And acorn squash.
> >
> > Jill

> I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
> bean casserole. ;-)

Oh, don't be stingy. Bring the KFC chicken too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2016 7:12 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels sprouts.
>>> And acorn squash.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
>> bean casserole. ;-)

> Oh, don't be stingy. Bring the KFC chicken too.

I think everyone here disrespects you intensely, Bwuthie dear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, my favorite aunt made it with a basic white sauce and fresh mushrooms,
plus crispy bacon bits, and it was always a favorite. I would never call it
"Trailer trash" food. Why do you say it is? If one does go to the trouble of
making it without the sodium-laden can of mushroom soup, it is very good.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, I forgot the diced onion, which has been sautéed until translucent in the bacon
fat.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 19:48:01 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Well, my favorite aunt made it with a basic white sauce and fresh mushrooms,
>plus crispy bacon bits, and it was always a favorite. I would never call it
>"Trailer trash" food. Why do you say it is? If one does go to the trouble of
>making it without the sodium-laden can of mushroom soup, it is very good.
>
>N.

that sort of approach was around way before anyone thought of green
bean casserole. It was just another way to serve green beans.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:09:47 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> sprouts. And acorn squash.

I saw a recipe earlier today that combined brussels sprouts and sweet
potatoes. Butternut squash could be substituted for the sweet potato.
http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2015/11/...prouts-recipe/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
>
> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
>
> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
>
> nb

Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
good.

==============

Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it

We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.

Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>
> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
> Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
> own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
>
> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
> with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>
> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>
> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.

> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> sprouts. And acorn squash.

Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
Baked regular potato
Probably some frozen green beans
Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)

That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.

Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:47:41 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:09:47 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
>> sprouts. And acorn squash.

>I saw a recipe earlier today that combined brussels sprouts and sweet
>potatoes. Butternut squash could be substituted for the sweet potato.
>http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2015/11/...prouts-recipe/

I would like the butternut squash and brussels sprouts better, I
think. I just seems to me that the sweet potatoes would be too mushy
of a contrast for mouth feel.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-20, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> I just seems to me that the sweet potatoes would be too mushy
> of a contrast for mouth feel.

Strictly a personal judgement.

I was astonished to discover candied yams 'n apples, a combo dish I'd
never experienced in over 60 yrs of T-day dinners. The dish offered
at our church-provided T-day dinner was no doubt canned, but I've been
unable to duplicate it. It was very good.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 11/19/2016 5:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
> > reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and
> > watching him slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I
> > helped her cook Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned
> > the job of preparing the green bean casserole. She thought that if
> > so many Americans liked it, it must be good. I have to admit that
> > it was surprisingly good.

> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>
> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make
> it. Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup.
> Make your own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead.
> Stuff like that.
>
> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried
> it with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>
> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>
> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.
>

> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> sprouts. And acorn squash.
>
> Jill

Hi Jill! We actually won't be doing the green bean cassarole thing
here this year (because we are feeding only 4 this time), but as I
setup all the local food bank and Freecycling meals, I had cans of
green beans matched to cans of campbells soup and had rebaggied the
requiste fried onions to match.

If I were feeding 6-8 this year, I'd have less to do as we do a sort of
sign-up potluck list and one would have provided that. This time it's
just Jacob added. Jacob's son normally can afford tickets to fly him
to be with the family but this year they can't because the DIL lost her
job (out sourced and she's looking for new work). So Jacob is eating
here thi year. We might gain a few more too by T-day, in which case we
will add a green bean cassarole.

Current menu:

13.5lb Turkey, stuffed with standard Pepperidge farm (my tradition,
don't argue)

5lbs potatoes turned into mashed - skin on rustic (don't argue, we like
that)

2 acorn squashes with butter and honey in the center

Steamed fresh chinese broccoli, brussells sprouts and fresh carrots
(pick items you like)

Lots of gravy- doctored from jars with added mushrooms

Fresh bread- A standard crusty white and for the rare time done totally
in the ABM and eaten Italian family style (grab a handful and slather
with below, not cut to slices).

Garlicy butter log plus a second dish of: italian type bread dip of
oil, balsalmic vinegar and fine slivers of hard cheeses.

It's not uncommon for us to gain a few tablemates here at the last
minute. Jacob is checking his buddies, so maybe it's a good thing we
got a larger Turkey than we actually need. Humm, perhaps the great
spirit had a plan in that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I was astonished to discover candied yams 'n apples, a combo dish I'd
> never experienced in over 60 yrs of T-day dinners. The dish offered
> at our church-provided T-day dinner was no doubt canned, but I've been
> unable to duplicate it. It was very good.

Candied yams and peaches is also a very good taste combo.
This year, I'm cooking them plain, served with butter and s&p.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 08:35:09 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
>> confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
>>
>> Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
>> Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
>> own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
>>
>> I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
>> with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
>>
>> The crispy fried onions are requisite.
>>
>> Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

>I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
>but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.
>

>> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
>> sprouts. And acorn squash.

>Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
>Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
>Baked regular potato
>Probably some frozen green beans
>Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
>Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)
>
>That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
>this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.
>
>Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
>Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

Are you sure you read that correctly, the butt half always costs about
20¢ more per pound (it contains less bone). Why not consider roasting
a Fresh ham, the King of roasts, get a butt half, and the left overs
freeze very well, much better than cured ham. If turkey wasn't so
traditional for Thanksgiving I'd be roasting a fresh ham... I may do
fresh ham for Christmas.

>If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
>Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

Microwaved poultry stinks, literally.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
> >Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

> Microwaved poultry stinks, literally.

No it doesn't. And if you think about that, there is no reason
that it would. One piece of thigh or breast is good cooked
by microwave. No crisp skin but I'm not after that.

The taste is very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> >Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

> Are you sure you read that correctly, the butt half always costs about
> 20¢ more per pound (it contains less bone). Why not consider roasting
> a Fresh ham, the King of roasts, get a butt half, and the left overs
> freeze very well, much better than cured ham. If turkey wasn't so
> traditional for Thanksgiving I'd be roasting a fresh ham... I may do
> fresh ham for Christmas.

The sale ad is correct. Same price for butt or shank.
I've never seen a fresh ham here but I'll look for it tomorrow.
It sounds like a better option.

Anyway...It's been about 3 years now since I've cooked any ham. All of
the sudden, it sounds pretty nice now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

Personally, I usually buy the shank, a really good bone left for soup after
eating the ham.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:30:11 AM UTC-8, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > >Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> > >Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

> > Are you sure you read that correctly, the butt half always costs about
> > 20¢ more per pound (it contains less bone). Why not consider roasting
> > a Fresh ham, the King of roasts, get a butt half, and the left overs
> > freeze very well, much better than cured ham. If turkey wasn't so
> > traditional for Thanksgiving I'd be roasting a fresh ham... I may do
> > fresh ham for Christmas.

> The sale ad is correct. Same price for butt or shank.
> I've never seen a fresh ham here but I'll look for it tomorrow.
> It sounds like a better option.
>
> Anyway...It's been about 3 years now since I've cooked any ham. All of
> the sudden, it sounds pretty nice now.

I have a recipe for a knock off Honey Baked Ham that is killer. I'm doing that along with a Turkey for Thanksgiving this year.

http://hizzoners.com/index.php/recip...ney-bakedq-ham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> > confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
> >

> > Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make
> > it. Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup.
> > Make your own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead.
> > Stuff like that.
> >
> > I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've
> > tried it with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
> >
> > The crispy fried onions are requisite.
> >
> > Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my
> > share.

> I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
> but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.
>

> > On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> > sprouts. And acorn squash.

> Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
> Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
> Baked regular potato
> Probably some frozen green beans
> Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
> Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of
> milk)
>
> That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
> this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.
>
> Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)
>
> If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
> Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

LOL! It's ok. I'm now researching kosher/halal stuff. Looking to a
gravy with no milk and turns out all my packets and jars have a
component of it in there. Not a biggie per Jacob for either of them
but in politeness, I will be trying to match best as I can.

On your question, neither will taste like 'ham' of the tradional sort
because it hasn't been 'cured'. Fresh uncured ham though is lovely!
Go for the butt as closest to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 12:15:54 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
> >
> > We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
> > least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
> >
> > I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> > tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
> > why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
> >
> > nb

> Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> good.
>
> --

My son makes this dish in large amounts to take to parties. He uses those big institutional cans to make it. Beats me how that started - he might have tasted one at my brother-in-law's funeral that we attended on the mainland a few years ago. My wife said he makes a good green bean casserole but I've never had the opportunity to try it. Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
> >
> > We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
> > least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
> >
> > I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> > tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
> > why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
> >
> > nb

> Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> good.
>
> ==============
>
> Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it
>
> We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.
>
> Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

I use the dried ones but once you read up (hey, it's ok!) you will see
that was not on the menu but may be added.

Jacob just called back. He's bringing a friend. He and his friend are
not antsy over kosher/halal stuff being perfect. Happy to suit them.
Just checked my stuffing and it's ok best as I can tell. They said it's
more like try a bit and if I can't tell, they can't and are not worried
about it. They like Butterball Turkeys for example (which is what I
have).

I think the 5 of us can handle a 13.5lb Turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-19, cshenk > wrote:

> I like to add the traditional fried onion topping as well.

I think that is what drew me to try it. My late mom usta leave half-eaten
cans of those onions around the house. I tasted some of the better
one's. Not bad.

> It's when try to 'improve it' with nuts and things, that that the
> simple charm is lost.

I think it's a case of canned goods. Which is best? French's?
Hennan's? Whateveryougot? Campbells Mushroom soup (which has become
nothing more than a blk specked carrageenan sludge)? Some other
joker? Del Monte green beans (grn beans are overcooked in any can!)
or some other brand of green beans?

I sed it was surprisingly tasty. I did not say I'd ever make it.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
> >
> > We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
> > least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.
> >
> > I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> > tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
> > why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!
> >
> > nb

> Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> good.
>
> ==============
>
> Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it
>
> We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.
>
> Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

I use the dried ones but once you read up (hey, it's ok!) you will see
that was not on the menu but may be added.

Jacob just called back. He's bringing a friend. He and his friend are
not antsy over kosher/halal stuff being perfect. Happy to suit them.
Just checked my stuffing and it's ok best as I can tell. They said it's
more like try a bit and if I can't tell, they can't and are not worried
about it. They like Butterball Turkeys for example (which is what I
have).

I think the 5 of us can handle a 13.5lb Turkey.

===================

I am sure you will all do your very best))) Have a great day)

ps who is Jacob?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2016 11:23 AM, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>

>>> If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
>>> Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

>> Microwaved poultry stinks, literally.

> No it doesn't. And if you think about that, there is no reason
> that it would. One piece of thigh or breast is good cooked
> by microwave. No crisp skin but I'm not after that.

The smell of raw chicken in the microwave makes me nauseated.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2016 11:03 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-11-20, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> I just seems to me that the sweet potatoes would be too mushy
>> of a contrast for mouth feel.

> Strictly a personal judgement.
>
> I was astonished to discover candied yams 'n apples, a combo dish I'd
> never experienced in over 60 yrs of T-day dinners. The dish offered
> at our church-provided T-day dinner was no doubt canned, but I've been
> unable to duplicate it. It was very good.

Joy Philbin's recipe for sweet potatoes and sliced blood oranges
was very good. And it's pretty, too. The recipes I came across in
a search seem to have been changed to regular oranges, so I don't
know if they messed with anything else.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 08:33:12 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
>> Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
>> Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

>Personally, I usually buy the shank, a really good bone left for soup after
>eating the ham.
>
>Cheri

I get shank as well, just so there is a good bone.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 08:56:12 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:47:41 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:09:47 -0500, jmcquown >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> >> sprouts. And acorn squash.

> >I saw a recipe earlier today that combined brussels sprouts and sweet
> >potatoes. Butternut squash could be substituted for the sweet potato.
> >http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2015/11/...prouts-recipe/

> I would like the butternut squash and brussels sprouts better, I
> think. I just seems to me that the sweet potatoes would be too mushy
> of a contrast for mouth feel.

I was thinking butternut would overcook before sweet potato. It's an
either or situation. In the mean time, I found a recipe for potatoes
and beans that can be served at room temperature. I'd use tri-colored
string beans and a single color (yellow flesh) potato.
http://www.theorganickitchen.org/blo...-potato-salad/

I also want to use this as a springboard recipe alternative to the
bread based dressing that DD can't eat due to a physical reaction to
gluten. She can't eat cow dairy either, so no mashed potatoes.
http://www.cookincanuck.com/2015/03/...-thyme-recipe/
I'll use converted rice instead of brown and transfer it to the rice
cooker to finish cooking.

Talking to DD tomorrow to nail down a menu, so she can shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 11:14:45 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> notbob wrote:
> >
> > I was astonished to discover candied yams 'n apples, a combo dish I'd
> > never experienced in over 60 yrs of T-day dinners. The dish offered
> > at our church-provided T-day dinner was no doubt canned, but I've been
> > unable to duplicate it. It was very good.

> Candied yams and peaches is also a very good taste combo.
> This year, I'm cooking them plain, served with butter and s&p.

Candied yams and peaches if flat out wonderful. My SIL was married to
a man from Alabama, so she learned that kind of Southern cooking from
her MIL. I tried making it on my own once. Used what she told me to
use and put it together the way she told me to - but it wasn't the
same. It's one of those dishes, I will happily let someone else cook
and I'll eat it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 12:37:30 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 08:33:12 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>>
>>> Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
>>> Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

>>Personally, I usually buy the shank, a really good bone left for soup after
>>eating the ham.
>>
>>Cheri

>I get shank as well, just so there is a good bone.
>Janet US

Yoose gals always need lots of good bone. hehe
The butt half has bone plus a big hunk of cartilege that adds a lot of
gelatin to soups... and regardless you can also not carve away all the
meat.
With a fresh or cured ham the bone can be removed for soups and then
the meat stuffed, rolled, and tied... makes for easy service. A fresh
ham bone makes excellent stock for oriental soups.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 08:35:09 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
> > confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.
> >
> > Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
> > Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
> > own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.
> >
> > I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
> > with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.
> >
> > The crispy fried onions are requisite.
> >
> > Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

> I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
> but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.
>

> > On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
> > sprouts. And acorn squash.

> Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
> Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
> Baked regular potato
> Probably some frozen green beans
> Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
> Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)
>
> That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
> this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.
>
> Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
> Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)
>
> If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
> Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.

Why not treat yourself to a turkey thigh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 11:23:19 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> No it doesn't. And if you think about that, there is no reason
> that it would. One piece of thigh or breast is good cooked
> by microwave. No crisp skin but I'm not after that.

If you wanted crisp skin, you could do what they do after sous vide
and put the chicken skin side down in a hot cast iron pan to brown and
crisp it up.

> The taste is very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
> > >
> >> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge.

> At >> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke
> about.
> > >
> >> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> >> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I

> understand >> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at
> its best!
> > >
> >> nb

> > Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> > good.
> >
> > ==============
> >
> > Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it
> >
> > We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.
> >
> > Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

> I use the dried ones but once you read up (hey, it's ok!) you will see
> that was not on the menu but may be added.
>
> Jacob just called back. He's bringing a friend. He and his friend are
> not antsy over kosher/halal stuff being perfect. Happy to suit them.
> Just checked my stuffing and it's ok best as I can tell. They said
> it's more like try a bit and if I can't tell, they can't and are not
> worried about it. They like Butterball Turkeys for example (which is
> what I have).
>
> I think the 5 of us can handle a 13.5lb Turkey.
>
> ===================
>
> I am sure you will all do your very best))) Have a great day)
>
> ps who is Jacob?

Jacob is a neighbor down the street from me. He's invited 'Sal'
(Salin?). Both are 2-3 generations USA folks. Laugh with me though as
one is jewish and the other from muslim background. We will all be
breaking bread together Thursday. Don't worry, Jacob knew we are good
for extras. Art next door normally comes if his kids can't pick him up
but his DIL Thersa is expected this year. If not, we add another plate.

In fact, if add the extenders to the table, I can fit 14 here at the
main table and 8 more at the Japanese low table. For now though, we
put the big table in the living room that fits 8 easily without the
extenders. Jacob's walker doesn't do the little 'sit on the floor'
Japan table well so this year, not planning to use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> After 68 yrs, I finally caved!
> > >
> >> We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge.

> At >> least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke
> about.
> > >
> >> I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
> >> tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I

> understand >> why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at
> its best!
> > >
> >> nb

> > Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
> > good.
> >
> > ==============
> >
> > Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it
> >
> > We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.
> >
> > Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

> I use the dried ones but once you read up (hey, it's ok!) you will see
> that was not on the menu but may be added.
>
> Jacob just called back. He's bringing a friend. He and his friend are
> not antsy over kosher/halal stuff being perfect. Happy to suit them.
> Just checked my stuffing and it's ok best as I can tell. They said
> it's more like try a bit and if I can't tell, they can't and are not
> worried about it. They like Butterball Turkeys for example (which is
> what I have).
>
> I think the 5 of us can handle a 13.5lb Turkey.
>
> ===================
>
> I am sure you will all do your very best))) Have a great day)
>
> ps who is Jacob?

Jacob is a neighbor down the street from me. He's invited 'Sal'
(Salin?). Both are 2-3 generations USA folks. Laugh with me though as
one is jewish and the other from muslim background. We will all be
breaking bread together Thursday. Don't worry, Jacob knew we are good
for extras. Art next door normally comes if his kids can't pick him up
but his DIL Thersa is expected this year. If not, we add another plate.

In fact, if add the extenders to the table, I can fit 14 here at the
main table and 8 more at the Japanese low table. For now though, we
put the big table in the living room that fits 8 easily without the
extenders. Jacob's walker doesn't do the little 'sit on the floor'
Japan table well so this year, not planning to use it.

===

I guess you will have a lovely party) Enjoy)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Cheri >
wrote:

> Personally, I usually buy the shank, a really good bone left for soup after
> eating the ham.

I do too. Well, not for Thanksgiving for us, but I buy shanks. Then I
don't spend time trying to get ham off the bone and leave plenty of
meat on it. I freeze the meaty shank for ham and beans later.
By the time I'm done with a ham shank, I'm not eager for ham and beans.
Dorothy Parker's definition of eternity: "Two people and a ham".
Yeah, yeah, we've all heard it before, but it's as true today as it was
then.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >, Cheri >
> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I usually buy the shank, a really good bone left for soup
>> after
>> eating the ham.

> I do too. Well, not for Thanksgiving for us, but I buy shanks. Then I
> don't spend time trying to get ham off the bone and leave plenty of
> meat on it. I freeze the meaty shank for ham and beans later.
> By the time I'm done with a ham shank, I'm not eager for ham and beans.
> Dorothy Parker's definition of eternity: "Two people and a ham".
> Yeah, yeah, we've all heard it before, but it's as true today as it was
> then.
>
> leo

I freeze a lot of it after the initial cutting when it's just us, and yes it
is still true as you say.

Cheri