Old 19-11-2016, 10:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The dreaded "green bean casserole"

After 68 yrs, I finally caved!

We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.

I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!

nb

Old 19-11-2016, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

After 68 yrs, I finally caved!

We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.

I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!

nb

Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
good.

Old 19-11-2016, 10:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-11-19 5:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

After 68 yrs, I finally caved!

We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.

I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!

nb

Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
good.

I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching him
slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her cook
Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of preparing
the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many Americans liked
it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was surprisingly good.

Old 19-11-2016, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

On 2016-11-19 5:15 PM, cshenk wrote:
[...]

Hehehe I give it that! I like to add the traditional fried onion
topping as well.

It's when try to 'improve it' with nuts and things, that that the
simple charm is lost.

Old 20-11-2016, 01:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2016 5:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
I used to look south and cringe at the idea of that casserole. It
reminded me too much of a visit to my great uncles farm and watching him
slop the pigs. However, in my mother's later years I helped her cook
Christmas dinner for the family and I was assigned the job of preparing
the green bean casserole. She thought that if so many Americans liked
it, it must be good. I have to admit that it was surprisingly good.

I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.

Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.

I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.

The crispy fried onions are requisite.

Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
sprouts. And acorn squash.

Jill

Old 20-11-2016, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news
[...]

I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
bean casserole. ;-)

Cheri

Old 20-11-2016, 02:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Cheri says...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
news

I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.

Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your own
cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.

I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.

The crispy fried onions are requisite.

Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels sprouts.
And acorn squash.

Jill

I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
bean casserole. ;-)

Oh, don't be stingy. Bring the KFC chicken too.
Old 20-11-2016, 02:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2016 7:12 PM, Bruce wrote:

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels sprouts.
And acorn squash.

Jill

I would like all of the above, what time is dinner? I'll bring the green
bean casserole. ;-)

Oh, don't be stingy. Bring the KFC chicken too.

I think everyone here disrespects you intensely, Bwuthie dear.
Old 20-11-2016, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, my favorite aunt made it with a basic white sauce and fresh mushrooms,
plus crispy bacon bits, and it was always a favorite. I would never call it
"Trailer trash" food. Why do you say it is? If one does go to the trouble of
making it without the sodium-laden can of mushroom soup, it is very good.

N.
Old 20-11-2016, 03:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, I forgot the diced onion, which has been sautéed until translucent in the bacon
fat.

N.

Old 20-11-2016, 05:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 19:48:01 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
wrote:

Well, my favorite aunt made it with a basic white sauce and fresh mushrooms,
plus crispy bacon bits, and it was always a favorite. I would never call it
"Trailer trash" food. Why do you say it is? If one does go to the trouble of
making it without the sodium-laden can of mushroom soup, it is very good.

N.

that sort of approach was around way before anyone thought of green
bean casserole. It was just another way to serve green beans.
Janet US
Old 20-11-2016, 06:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 20:09:47 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
sprouts. And acorn squash.

I saw a recipe earlier today that combined brussels sprouts and sweet
potatoes. Butternut squash could be substituted for the sweet potato.
http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2015/11/...prouts-recipe/

Old 20-11-2016, 09:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

After 68 yrs, I finally caved!

We had a early pot-luck Thanksgiving dinner at our common lodge. At
least two ppl made that green bean monstrosity we always joke about.

I tried the best looking of the two. Damned if it wasn't actually
tasty! Who knew!? Not that I'll ever make it, but now I understand
why it remains so popular. Trailer-trash cuisine at its best!

nb

Grin, made in simple fashion and not overly doctored up, it's pretty
good.

==============

Not something I've ever tried but I am starting to think about it

We don't like canned soups but I found a 'scratch' recipe.

Do you fry your own onions or use dried ones?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Old 20-11-2016, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

I just love this time of year! It's that time when people suddenly
confess to trying and liking Campbell's Soup green bean casserole.

Then there are those who who offer creative, alternate ways to make it.
Recipes that don't call for canned cream of mushroom soup. Make your
own cream sauce and maybe use shitake mushrooms instead. Stuff like that.

I've tried the original recipe with the Campbell's soup. I've tried it
with white sauce, sauteed button mushrooms, etc.

The crispy fried onions are requisite.

Sorry, it's still not interesting to me. You all may have my share.

I've never had "the casserole" either. I'm sure I would like it
but I'm not going to make it. Someday maybe.

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
sprouts. And acorn squash.

Right now, I'm planning on a veggie Thanksgiving meal.
Baked sweet potato with butter and S&P (no casserole)
Baked regular potato
Probably some frozen green beans
Definitely stuffing made with homemade chicken stock/broth
Also some gravy (white sauce recipe using chicken stock instead of milk)

That said, I'm considering baking a ham. I see several in the sale ads
this week. I haven't made a ham in at least 3 years, maybe longer.

Question for all: My sale ads show ($1.49/lb) butt or shank portions.
Which one would be better for a ham meal (not pork bbq)

If not maybe just add one microwaved chicken thigh to the veggies.
Don't laugh...cooking just one works fine in the microwave.
Old 20-11-2016, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Thanksgiving (or thereabouts) I'll be having roasted brussels
sprouts. And acorn squash.

I saw a recipe earlier today that combined brussels sprouts and sweet
potatoes. Butternut squash could be substituted for the sweet potato.
http://thefoodcharlatan.com/2015/11/...prouts-recipe/

I would like the butternut squash and brussels sprouts better, I
think. I just seems to me that the sweet potatoes would be too mushy
of a contrast for mouth feel.
Janet US