Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default how to make chinese soup dumplings

I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings, the kind you get
in dim sum. But I'm am coming up pretty short when it comes to finding
recipes. Can I use conventional dumpling wrappers from a chiness market
, or do I need something different that I have to roll on my own? Do I
have to use agar or can I just freeze the soup and scoop it out a
little at a time? And any guidance on how to crimp these shut? Any
other tips?? Thx.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"higgins" > wrote in news:1138674942.798456.121430
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings, the kind you get
> in dim sum. But I'm am coming up pretty short when it comes to finding
> recipes. Can I use conventional dumpling wrappers from a chiness market
> , or do I need something different that I have to roll on my own? Do I
> have to use agar or can I just freeze the soup and scoop it out a
> little at a time? And any guidance on how to crimp these shut? Any
> other tips?? Thx.

Google on "Jiao Zi Pi". Or buy wonton skins - I'm not sure which type of
soup dumpling you're referring to.

Good luck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._10279,00.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgins wrote:

> I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings,

There's a recipe at
<http://www.galaxylink.com.hk/~john/food/cooking/shanghai/xiaolongbao.htm>,
or search for "Xiao Long Bao".

--
-- Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"higgins" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings, the kind you get
> in dim sum. But I'm am coming up pretty short when it comes to finding
> recipes. Can I use conventional dumpling wrappers from a chiness market
> , or do I need something different that I have to roll on my own? Do I
> have to use agar or can I just freeze the soup and scoop it out a
> little at a time? And any guidance on how to crimp these shut? Any
> other tips?? Thx.

The Chinese wrappers you find at the market generally have a recipe with
them that is decent for a first try. I've used the recipe with good results
or should I say tasty results.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

higgins wrote:
> I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings, the kind you get
> in dim sum. But I'm am coming up pretty short when it comes to finding
> recipes. Can I use conventional dumpling wrappers from a chiness market
> , or do I need something different that I have to roll on my own? Do I
> have to use agar or can I just freeze the soup and scoop it out a
> little at a time? And any guidance on how to crimp these shut? Any
> other tips?? Thx.

You've set yourself quite a challenge here. Xiao long bao are as
difficult to make successfully as any dim sum I can think of. You need
a wrapper that will contain the soup liquid without leaking or bursting
while it's steaming. That's why recipes include the wrapper dough. I
don't know if a regular wonton wrapper works. You need a tasty soup as
well as the filling. Some recipes call for agar agar to gelatinize the
soup so you can fill the wrapper and then it will liquefy when you
steam it. Others just add the soup to the filling to make a quite
liquid filling, which is harder to deal with and produces a little less
soup in the dumpling. Steaming time is more critical than normal.
Learning to crimp 18 folds into the dumpling takes practice. (The only
tip for that is to hold with one hand and crimp with the other--don't
try to do it two-handed, if that makes any sense.) Et cetera.

If you're just beginning to experiment with dim sum there are much
easier varieties to learn first. But if you're enamored of the idea,
the recipe and procedure that Steve's link takes you to looks good to
me.

Personally, I think most dim sum are best enjoyed at a specialty
restaurant because they are so much work to make. When we lived in
places that didn't have such places I would make a few tidbits at home
that were within the scope of my kitchen -- cha siu, har gow, scallion
pancakes, spareribs in black bean sauce -- and then just dream about
all the rest until we could get back to a city. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgins wrote:
> I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings, the kind you get
> in dim sum. But I'm am coming up pretty short when it comes to finding
> recipes. Can I use conventional dumpling wrappers from a chiness market
> , or do I need something different that I have to roll on my own? Do I
> have to use agar or can I just freeze the soup and scoop it out a
> little at a time? And any guidance on how to crimp these shut? Any
> other tips?? Thx.

I know how to eat them... they are very yummy.... ! Slurp!

The ones I ate were very thin and light skin wrappers. They had it
with rice noodles in clear chicken brothe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Personally, I think most dim sum are best enjoyed at a specialty
> restaurant because they are so much work to make. When we lived in
> places that didn't have such places I would make a few tidbits at home
> that were within the scope of my kitchen -- cha siu, har gow, scallion
> pancakes, spareribs in black bean sauce -- and then just dream about
> all the rest until we could get back to a city. -aem

I made dim sum last night-well, heated up stuff I had made the week
before and froze. I don't know how to make the really intricate stuff,
though.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

sarah bennett wrote:
> aem wrote:
>
> > Personally, I think most dim sum are best enjoyed at a specialty
> > restaurant because they are so much work to make. ....

> I made dim sum last night-well, heated up stuff I had made the week
> before and froze. I don't know how to make the really intricate stuff,
> though.

Yes, that's the thing. If you do make them at home you make a lot, to
justify all the work, so you end up freezing them. If I were more
skillful it wouldn't seem like so much work, I suppose. It's the same
with lots of canapés and other appetizers. I won't do them for small
groups because it doesn't justify the effort. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>aem wrote:
>>

>>>Personally, I think most dim sum are best enjoyed at a specialty
>>>restaurant because they are so much work to make. ....

>>I made dim sum last night-well, heated up stuff I had made the week
>>before and froze. I don't know how to make the really intricate stuff,
>>though.
>>

> Yes, that's the thing. If you do make them at home you make a lot, to
> justify all the work, so you end up freezing them. If I were more
> skillful it wouldn't seem like so much work, I suppose. It's the same
> with lots of canapés and other appetizers. I won't do them for small
> groups because it doesn't justify the effort. -aem

I make just a few fillings, and make various shapes of dumplings, and
then cook them differently, but I really don't make that much- enough
for my husband and I, ellie eats a few, and there are some leftovers in
the fridge.
A pic of the plate I made is he
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4.../dim%20sum.jpg

I didn't separate the shu mai before they defrosted completely, so they
are funny looking, but they were still tasty!
Once you know how to make a few kinds, it is not as hard, just kind of
time-consuming

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Another option for a soup dumpling would be a Pot Sticker recipe.

On occasion, I'll do this with a chicken broth, throw in some odd, and
end veggies (Pea pods, Bean Sprouts, Spinach, Scallions, and drop a few
Pot Stickers in for a more filling soup.

One could bypass the hassle of making them from scratch, and buy them
frozen.

The Wal Mart where I'm at carry the Ling Ling Pot Stickers in the bag
(pork, or chicken) and they're pretty good, and can be used in a soup.
Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark D wrote:
> Another option for a soup dumpling would be a Pot Sticker recipe.
>
> On occasion, I'll do this with a chicken broth, throw in some odd, and
> end veggies (Pea pods, Bean Sprouts, Spinach, Scallions, and drop a few
> Pot Stickers in for a more filling soup.
>
> One could bypass the hassle of making them from scratch, and buy them
> frozen.
>
> The Wal Mart where I'm at carry the Ling Ling Pot Stickers in the bag
> (pork, or chicken) and they're pretty good, and can be used in a soup.
> Mark

I think the OP was referring to a type of dim sum that have a soup
filling inside of them, but I could be wrong.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgins wrote:

> I'd like to experiment making Chinese soup dumplings, the kind you get
> in dim sum. But I'm am coming up pretty short when it comes to finding
> recipes. Can I use conventional dumpling wrappers from a chiness market
> , or do I need something different that I have to roll on my own? Do I
> have to use agar or can I just freeze the soup and scoop it out a
> little at a time? And any guidance on how to crimp these shut? Any
> other tips?? Thx.

You need a yeast dough for the skin. Wonton dumpling skins just won't do
it very well. Otherwise these are relatively easy to make.

2/3 lbs minced pork
1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs minced salad/green onion
1/2 tbs minced ginger
6 tbs water

Mix these all together thoroughly.

Also need 1/4 cup of jellied soup stock, cut into 24 pieces.

Basic yeast dough

6 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups warm water
1 tbs yeast
2 tbs shortening (lard or veg)

Dissolve sugar and yeast in the water. Let the mix stand until it foams.
Sift flour and add shortening. Add yeast liquid and mix well.
Knead dough into a ball, remove from bowl and knead until smooth and
elastic.
Place dough in a clean bowl and cover with a cloth; let rise until
double or triple.

Use about 1/4 recipe for the dough balls. Make 24 balls and flatten into
2 inch circles with thin edges.
Spoon some filling onto circle, place a piece of jellied stock on top of
filling.
Pinch together top of dough to enclose the filling completely.
Steam for about 8 minutes or until done.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

These are really dumplings in soup, as opposed to a bit of soup
contained in a dumpling. But thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgins wrote:

> These are really dumplings in soup, as opposed to a bit of soup
> contained in a dumpling. But thanks.

Then do a search for wontons; seem to be the most common dumplings in
soup in the US.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

No, I'm trying to do soup-filled dumplings...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgins wrote:
> No, I'm trying to do soup-filled dumplings...

Not dumpling filled soup?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

higgins wrote:

> No, I'm trying to do soup-filled dumplings...

LOL sorry you said you didn't mean dumplings filled with soup. The
recipe I gave is what you wanted in the first place. After steaming the
dumplings are filled with soup and pork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> higgins wrote:
>
>>No, I'm trying to do soup-filled dumplings...

> LOL sorry you said you didn't mean dumplings filled with soup. The
> recipe I gave is what you wanted in the first place. After steaming the
> dumplings are filled with soup and pork.

higgins was talking about the recipe ms. tonya pointed her to when she
said they were "really dumplings in soup".

Soup-filled dumplings are called "çŒæ¹¯é¤ƒ" in Chinese (which literally
means "soup-filled dumpling"). There are many mentions of the dim sum on
the web but not a whole lot of info on how to make it.

The only semi-helpful info I could find was a description of it (but not
a recipe). According to the description, the ingredients for the filling
include: agar, pork, shrimps, dried scallops (a.k.a. conpoy), crab meat
(not the imitation kind, I suppose), pork with fat (fined chopped), and
shark fins. The ingredients are mixed and frozen (or are they just
refrigerated?). The agar will liquify and turn into soup when the
dumplings are steamed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Long wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > higgins wrote:
> >
> >>No, I'm trying to do soup-filled dumplings...

> > LOL sorry you said you didn't mean dumplings filled with soup. The
> > recipe I gave is what you wanted in the first place. After steaming the
> > dumplings are filled with soup and pork.

> higgins was talking about the recipe ms. tonya pointed her to when she
> said they were "really dumplings in soup".

Apparently that's what the OP wants.

> Soup-filled dumplings are called "çŒæ¹¯é¤ƒ" in Chinese (which literally
> means "soup-filled dumpling"). There are many mentions of the dim sum on
> the web but not a whole lot of info on how to make it.

The recipe I posted is how to make one version of soup-filled dumplings.

> The only semi-helpful info I could find was a description of it (but not
> a recipe). According to the description, the ingredients for the filling
> include: agar, pork, shrimps, dried scallops (a.k.a. conpoy), crab meat
> (not the imitation kind, I suppose), pork with fat (fined chopped), and
> shark fins. The ingredients are mixed and frozen (or are they just
> refrigerated?). The agar will liquify and turn into soup when the
> dumplings are steamed.

That's similar to what I posted. The 'soupy' part in that recipe was
jellied soup stock.