General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default KFC question.

On Tue 31 Jan 2006 10:57:28a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it notbob?

> On 2006-01-31, Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I think all of the chicken at KFC is disgusting.

>
> I have to agree. I never buy the stuff. I remember eating it
> occasionally when friends would bring a bucket over, but never could
> eat more than about one piece. I used to joke KFC was good for
> motorcycles. I imagined wiring a chicken leg to the frame just above
> the rear drive chain, the dripping grease keeping the chain well
> lubed. My brother came up with a good approach to eating KFC. Take
> the meat off the bone and stick it between one of the biscuits to soak
> up the excess grease, then dose with black pepper and a good Louisiana
> hot sauce.
>
> nb


LOL! I can picture it!

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
________________________________________

Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  #42 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default KFC question.

On Tue 31 Jan 2006 01:03:03p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it notbob?

> On 2006-01-31, Dee Randall > wrote:
>
>
>> don't know if they get their free grease exclusively from one fast-food
>> restaurant or not.

>
> I don't know. It's my understanding deep fryer fat is a waste
> product that's a real pain for any restaurant using it. I think they
> have to pay for its disposal. I could be wrong on this.
>
> nb


You're correct about this. There are companies that specialize in this.

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
________________________________________

Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  #43 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,620
Default KFC question.

On Tue 31 Jan 2006 01:09:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?

>
> Excuse me the English question. Why, sometimes, do you write "fried" and
> why do you write sometimes "fryer" when there is a consonant before the
> "Y"? Sorry if I would like to understand
> cheers
> Pandora
> --------------------------------------------------------


The word "fried" is an adjective that is used to describe a noun, such as
"chicken". The word "fryer" is a noun that is the name of a piece of
equipment, such as "deep fryer".

--
Wayne Boatwright տլ
________________________________________

Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

  #44 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,916
Default KFC question.


"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
28.19...
> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 01:09:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>
>>
>> Excuse me the English question. Why, sometimes, do you write "fried" and
>> why do you write sometimes "fryer" when there is a consonant before the
>> "Y"? Sorry if I would like to understand
>> cheers
>> Pandora
>> --------------------------------------------------------

>
> The word "fried" is an adjective that is used to describe a noun, such as
> "chicken". The word "fryer" is a noun that is the name of a piece of
> equipment, such as "deep fryer".


Ahhhhh! Thank you Wayne! Now I understand ! Fryer is a substantive, OK!
But...now that I think...why a substantive has different grammatichal rules
in comparison with an adjective?
Cheers
Pandora


  #45 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,235
Default KFC question.

Dee Randall wrote:

>
> "notbob" > wrote in message
> news >
> I used to joke KFC was good for
> > motorcycles. I imagined wiring a chicken leg to the frame just
> > above the rear drive chain, the dripping grease keeping the chain
> > well lubed. >
> > nb

>
> I suppose you've seen the TV stories about the guys traveling across
> the US with just used-grease from the fast food place(s) for their
> vehicle. I don't know if they get their free grease exclusively from
> one fast-food restaurant or not. Dee Dee


Google on bio-diesel for more information.



Brian

--
If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)


  #46 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,244
Default KFC question.

Dee Randall wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message
> news >
> I used to joke KFC was good for
>
>>motorcycles. I imagined wiring a chicken leg to the frame just above
>>the rear drive chain, the dripping grease keeping the chain well
>>lubed. >
>>nb

>
>
> I suppose you've seen the TV stories about the guys traveling across the US
> with just used-grease from the fast food place(s) for their vehicle. I
> don't know if they get their free grease exclusively from one fast-food
> restaurant or not.
> Dee Dee
>

Those TV stories have the accuracy of most TV stories. I like the way
they describe someone driving up to the fast food place and simply
filling up with waste fryer oil as if they pulled into a filling
station. The reality is that there is considerable processing involved
to remove undesirable stuff before the oil can be used in a diesel engine.

  #47 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14,587
Default KFC question.

On 2006-01-31, Pandora > wrote:

> Ahhhhh! Thank you Wayne! Now I understand ! Fryer is a substantive...


Substantive? Boy, I had to dig out my dusty old Harbrace for that
one.

nb
  #48 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default KFC question.


"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 01:09:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>
>>
>> Excuse me the English question. Why, sometimes, do you write "fried" and
>> why do you write sometimes "fryer" when there is a consonant before the
>> "Y"? Sorry if I would like to understand
>> cheers
>> Pandora
>> --------------------------------------------------------

>
> The word "fried" is an adjective that is used to describe a noun, such as
> "chicken". The word "fryer" is a noun that is the name of a piece of
> equipment, such as "deep fryer".
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright տլ


A chicken itself, can be called a "fryer," too.
http://www.onelook.com/?w=fryer&ls=a
Quick defintion:
noun: flesh of a medium-sized young chicken suitable for frying

Dee Dee


  #49 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,313
Default KFC question.


"George" > wrote in message
news
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> news >>
>> I used to joke KFC was good for
>>
>>>motorcycles. I imagined wiring a chicken leg to the frame just above
>>>the rear drive chain, the dripping grease keeping the chain well
>>>lubed. >
>>>nb

>>
>>
>> I suppose you've seen the TV stories about the guys traveling across the
>> US with just used-grease from the fast food place(s) for their vehicle.
>> I don't know if they get their free grease exclusively from one fast-food
>> restaurant or not.
>> Dee Dee

> Those TV stories have the accuracy of most TV stories. I like the way they
> describe someone driving up to the fast food place and simply filling up
> with waste fryer oil as if they pulled into a filling station. The reality
> is that there is considerable processing involved to remove undesirable
> stuff before the oil can be used in a diesel engine.


The TV story I saw did show the processing involved.
Dee Dee


  #50 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,916
Default KFC question.


"Dee Randall" > ha scritto nel messaggio
...
>
> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> On Tue 31 Jan 2006 01:09:55p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Pandora?
>>
>>>
>>> Excuse me the English question. Why, sometimes, do you write "fried" and
>>> why do you write sometimes "fryer" when there is a consonant before the
>>> "Y"? Sorry if I would like to understand
>>> cheers
>>> Pandora
>>> --------------------------------------------------------

>>
>> The word "fried" is an adjective that is used to describe a noun, such as
>> "chicken". The word "fryer" is a noun that is the name of a piece of
>> equipment, such as "deep fryer".
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright տլ

>
> A chicken itself, can be called a "fryer," too.
> http://www.onelook.com/?w=fryer&ls=a
> Quick defintion:
> noun: flesh of a medium-sized young chicken suitable for frying
>
> Dee Dee


I can see that if I write frier is not wrong!
Pandora
>
>





  #51 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,235
Default KFC question.

George wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:


> > I suppose you've seen the TV stories about the guys traveling
> > across the US with just used-grease from the fast food place(s)
> > for their vehicle. I don't know if they get their free grease
> > exclusively from one fast-food restaurant or not. Dee Dee

> Those TV stories have the accuracy of most TV stories. I like the way
> they describe someone driving up to the fast food place and simply
> filling up with waste fryer oil as if they pulled into a filling
> station. The reality is that there is considerable processing
> involved to remove undesirable stuff before the oil can be used in a
> diesel engine.


I've read some stuff about it. Most of the time people go through a
processing step to make bio-diesel fuel. However, some guys say that
once the car's up and running at temp they can switch to burning
unprocessed oil (I'm sure they filter it) directly.



Brian

--
If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)
  #52 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,235
Default KFC question.

Pandora wrote:


> I can see that if I write frier is not wrong!


It's not wrong, but is less right. As long as you don't write "friar",
that's something else altogether.


Brian

--
If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)
  #53 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,916
Default KFC question.


"Default User" > ha scritto nel messaggio
...
> Pandora wrote:
>
>
>> I can see that if I write frier is not wrong!

>
> It's not wrong, but is less right. As long as you don't write "friar",
> that's something else altogether.
>
>
> Brian



But it was in your enciclopedy! I would only know if I can write *frier*
without making a grammatical mistake.
Pandora


  #54 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,235
Default KFC question.

Pandora wrote:

>
> "Default User" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> ...
> > Pandora wrote:
> >
> >
> > > I can see that if I write frier is not wrong!

> >
> > It's not wrong, but is less right. As long as you don't write
> > "friar", that's something else altogether.


> But it was in your enciclopedy!


Well, not mine personally.

> I would only know if I can write
> frier without making a grammatical mistake.


Sure. Like I said, "friar" is a different thing all-together.



Brian


--
If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
won't shut up.
-- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)
  #55 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,916
Default KFC question.


"Default User" > ha scritto nel messaggio
...
> Pandora wrote:
>
>>
>> "Default User" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> ...
>> > Pandora wrote:
>> >
>> >
>> > > I can see that if I write frier is not wrong!
>> >
>> > It's not wrong, but is less right. As long as you don't write
>> > "friar", that's something else altogether.

>
>> But it was in your enciclopedy!

>
> Well, not mine personally.
>
>> I would only know if I can write
>> frier without making a grammatical mistake.

>
> Sure. Like I said, "friar" is a different thing all-together.


Oh! Thank you
Pandora
>
>
>
> Brian
>
>
> --
> If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
> won't shut up.
> -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cognac question- US location question- KOS Wine 2 19-12-2008 01:10 PM
Niagara Question / Vidal Blanc Question John Fouts Winemaking 1 08-09-2006 11:44 AM
Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Winemaking 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Please Answer My Serious Question [was Question about Wine, Bacteria, and Stench] Radium Wine 6 09-07-2006 11:22 PM
Chili question (Or maybe it should be chile question) Rich General Cooking 11 16-06-2006 03:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"