Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

Default picnic in the park with recipe

Today I went on a picnic to a local wildlife sanctuary. The wildlife
is mainly birds (we don't have "wild" animals here) and tuataras, a
large lizard. It's a protected area to allow native birds and trees
and bushes a chance to grow without predators.

The picnic was not the main event, sacrilegious as that may sound.
Four of us walked or ambled along the paths identifiying birds,
watching the huge native parrots (kakas) and enjoying the sun.

Our picnic was simple, homemade French baguettes (courtesy of my son)
filled with meat and salad, I made a bacon and egg pie -- I always
associate picnics with bacon and egg pie -- and a bottle of NZ
sauvignon blanc.

It was a lovely day out, yet only 30 minutes from my house and 10
minutes from his. You don't always have to travel miles to have a
great day out.

BACON AND EGG PIE
(quantities not important, to taste)

1-2 sheets of flaky pastry
(depending on how big a pie you're making. I made a small one and used
one thinly rolled sheet as it was alll I had)

eggs (I used 6)
bacon (I used two slices)
finely chopped onion (I used a quarter)
sliced tomato
splash of milk
salt and pepper

Roll out pastry and line a greased deep pie dish with half of it.
Mix eggs, add some milk so it's not so stodgy, and salt and pepper
Pour into pie shell
Sprinkle chopped onion into liquid
Add chopped raw bacon generously
Top with tomato slices (optional but it makes it moist)
Place pastry on top for top layer.
Crimp and make steam holes in top.

Cook in fairly hot oven (about 190C) for about 45 mins

I like it cold. Some like it hot.

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bronwyn

Sounds a terrific day out Kathy!
NZ seems to be having a nice summer this year. A little too humid over
here on the Gold Coast altho' the storms have been welcome to top up
the dams.
My DH loves E & B pie and makes one by putting the onion and bacon in
the shell first and then breaking the eggs gently in all around whole
before topping it.
Cheers
Bronwyn

Kathy in NZ wrote:
> Today I went on a picnic to a local wildlife sanctuary. The wildlife
> is mainly birds (we don't have "wild" animals here) and tuataras, a
> large lizard. It's a protected area to allow native birds and trees
> and bushes a chance to grow without predators.
>
> The picnic was not the main event, sacrilegious as that may sound.
> Four of us walked or ambled along the paths identifiying birds,
> watching the huge native parrots (kakas) and enjoying the sun.
>
> Our picnic was simple, homemade French baguettes (courtesy of my son)
> filled with meat and salad, I made a bacon and egg pie -- I always
> associate picnics with bacon and egg pie -- and a bottle of NZ
> sauvignon blanc.
>
> It was a lovely day out, yet only 30 minutes from my house and 10
> minutes from his. You don't always have to travel miles to have a
> great day out.
>
> BACON AND EGG PIE

[snip recipe]

> Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On 15 Jan 2006 03:37:25 -0800, "Bronwyn" > wrote:

>Sounds a terrific day out Kathy!
>NZ seems to be having a nice summer this year. A little too humid over
>here on the Gold Coast altho' the storms have been welcome to top up
>the dams.
>My DH loves E & B pie and makes one by putting the onion and bacon in
>the shell first and then breaking the eggs gently in all around whole
>before topping it.
>Cheers
>Bronwyn
>
>Kathy in NZ wrote:

>> Our picnic was simple, homemade French baguettes (courtesy of my son)
>> filled with meat and salad, I made a bacon and egg pie -- I always
>> associate picnics with bacon and egg pie -- and a bottle of NZ
>> sauvignon blanc.

My recipe is not the classic bacon and egg pie. For that, eggs are
undiluted with milk, but that gives me indigestion. I prefer the
lighter filling. The classic recipe has unbroken whole eggs, like
your DH does.

Some people put mixed (frozen) veges in their pie. Yuk! But it's a
matter of taste.

One of the nicest (light) B&E Ps I've ever had used filo pastry.

Kathy in NZ

Picnic in the Park Tara General Cooking 0 29-01-2011 08:07 PM
Breakfast in the Park gloria.p General Cooking 6 01-06-2010 02:09 AM
I hit one out of the park! vex[_4_] Barbecue 13 21-09-2009 06:34 AM
Central Park jmcquown General Cooking 0 01-10-2006 06:27 PM
Bryant Park Margaret Suran General Cooking 42 04-12-2005 10:55 AM