Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Breakfast in the Park

We are a neighborhood of 200 houses with a small park in the center with
picnic tables, a large pond, trees, playground, and swimming pool.

The pool opens every Memorial Day and in recent years the HOA Board has
hosted a pancake breakfast at the park for the opening. It's not
terribly fancy,pancakes, ham or bacon, juice and coffee, but it's a
chance for neighbors who haven't seen one another all winter to
reconnect, share news, and just enjoy.

This year we had the usual ducks floating in the pond with 8 small
ducklings, two black cormorants, a few Canada geese left over from the
hundreds who spend much of the winter in the pond.

The biggest surprise was a flock of nine white pelicans paddling and
dipping for food in unison like a team of synchronized swimmers. We are
1100 miles from the ocean, but they spend mornings here and then fly off
to a flood control lake about a mile away. This is the second year
they've been spotted here. We also have an occasional blue heron in the
pond.

We also have an annual 4th of July picnic in the park. Good weather
also finds parents and little kids feeding the ducks quite often.

Life is good.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria.p" > wrote in -
september.org:

[Snip ]

Sounds like a great little area to live in :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

A good friend would drive 30 miles at 2:00 am to bail you out of jail.
A best friend, however, would be sitting in the cell next to you saying
"Man, that was f******n Awesome!"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 30, 11:04*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> We are a neighborhood of 200 houses with a small park in the center with
> picnic tables, a large pond, trees, playground, and swimming pool.
>
> The pool opens every Memorial Day and in recent years the HOA Board has
> hosted a pancake breakfast at the park for the opening. *It's not
> terribly fancy,pancakes, ham or bacon, juice and coffee, but it's a
> chance for neighbors who haven't seen one another all winter to
> reconnect, share news, and just enjoy.
>
> This year we had the usual ducks floating in the pond with 8 small
> ducklings, two black cormorants, a few Canada geese left over from the
> hundreds who spend much of the winter in the pond.
>
> The biggest surprise was a flock of nine white pelicans paddling and
> dipping for food in unison like a team of synchronized swimmers. *We are
> 1100 miles from the ocean, but they spend mornings here and then fly off
> to a flood control lake about a mile away. *This is the second year
> they've been spotted here. *We also have an occasional blue heron in the
> pond.
>
> We also have an annual 4th of July picnic in the park. *Good weather
> also finds parents and little kids feeding the ducks quite often.
>
> Life is good.
>
> gloria p

Sounds idyllic! Enjoy.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:04:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
wrote:

>We are a neighborhood of 200 houses with a small park in the center with
>picnic tables, a large pond, trees, playground, and swimming pool.
>
>This year we had the usual ducks floating in the pond with 8 small
>ducklings, two black cormorants, a few Canada geese left over from the
>hundreds who spend much of the winter in the pond.
>
>The biggest surprise was a flock of nine white pelicans paddling and
>dipping for food in unison like a team of synchronized swimmers. We are
>1100 miles from the ocean, but they spend mornings here and then fly off
>to a flood control lake about a mile away. This is the second year
>they've been spotted here. We also have an occasional blue heron in the
>pond.

Why don't you own a camera?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> We are a neighborhood of 200 houses with a small park in the center with
> picnic tables, a large pond, trees, playground, and swimming pool.
>
> The pool opens every Memorial Day and in recent years the HOA Board has
> hosted a pancake breakfast at the park for the opening. It's not
> terribly fancy,pancakes, ham or bacon, juice and coffee, but it's a
> chance for neighbors who haven't seen one another all winter to
> reconnect, share news, and just enjoy.
>
> This year we had the usual ducks floating in the pond with 8 small
> ducklings, two black cormorants, a few Canada geese left over from the
> hundreds who spend much of the winter in the pond.
>
> The biggest surprise was a flock of nine white pelicans paddling and
> dipping for food in unison like a team of synchronized swimmers. We are
> 1100 miles from the ocean, but they spend mornings here and then fly off
> to a flood control lake about a mile away. This is the second year
> they've been spotted here. We also have an occasional blue heron in the
> pond.
>
> We also have an annual 4th of July picnic in the park. Good weather
> also finds parents and little kids feeding the ducks quite often.
>
> Life is good.
>
> gloria p

You sound very fortunate. Jpegs please? <g>
I've seen pelicans and seagulls come pretty far inland sometimes. I'm
betting on seeing more of them soon with the gulf oil leak!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:04:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> wrote:
>
>> We are a neighborhood of 200 houses with a small park in the center with
>> picnic tables, a large pond, trees, playground, and swimming pool.
>>
>> This year we had the usual ducks floating in the pond with 8 small
>> ducklings, two black cormorants, a few Canada geese left over from the
>> hundreds who spend much of the winter in the pond.
>>
>> The biggest surprise was a flock of nine white pelicans paddling and
>> dipping for food in unison like a team of synchronized swimmers. We are
>> 1100 miles from the ocean, but they spend mornings here and then fly off
>> to a flood control lake about a mile away. This is the second year
>> they've been spotted here. We also have an occasional blue heron in the
>> pond.

> Why don't you own a camera?

I do own a camera.
I use it for family photos and vacation.
I don't carry it around most of the time.
I don't know how to post photos to ngs if I DID take them.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> brooklyn1 wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 May 2010 21:04:09 -0600, "gloria.p" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> We are a neighborhood of 200 houses with a small park in the center with
> >> picnic tables, a large pond, trees, playground, and swimming pool.
> >>
> >> This year we had the usual ducks floating in the pond with 8 small
> >> ducklings, two black cormorants, a few Canada geese left over from the
> >> hundreds who spend much of the winter in the pond.
> >>
> >> The biggest surprise was a flock of nine white pelicans paddling and
> >> dipping for food in unison like a team of synchronized swimmers. We are
> >> 1100 miles from the ocean, but they spend mornings here and then fly off
> >> to a flood control lake about a mile away. This is the second year
> >> they've been spotted here. We also have an occasional blue heron in the
> >> pond.

> > Why don't you own a camera?

> I do own a camera.
> I use it for family photos and vacation.
> I don't carry it around most of the time.
> I don't know how to post photos to ngs if I DID take them.
>
> gloria p

Many of us would be happy to help, if you were interested. :-)
I personally consider it to be fun, but ymmv!
--
Peace! Om

Picnic in the Park Tara General Cooking 0 29-01-2011 08:07 PM
Trailer park balls bulka[_2_] General Cooking 0 06-01-2010 10:42 PM
I hit one out of the park! vex[_4_] Barbecue 13 21-09-2009 06:34 AM
Central Park jmcquown General Cooking 0 01-10-2006 06:27 PM
Bryant Park Margaret Suran General Cooking 42 04-12-2005 10:55 AM