Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Pod Coffeemakers Revisited

Someone asked about the pod coffeemakers and I replied we had got one
for Christmas. I also said I wasn't impressed as we are into finding
and grinding coffee beans. Well, we have had the opportunity to try it
out and again, we are impressed so I was wrong on my initial assessment.
IMO it won't replace the perculator but it does make a decent cup of
coffee that tastes a lot better than <shudder> instant coffee. Even
though the pods are more expensive, the taste is worth it and there is
less waste. There are different flavours you can get. We will buy the
actual coffee pods. I see no reason to buy the pod tea bags as regular
tea bags work just as well, IME. I drink a fair amount of herbal and
green tea which they don't have pods so I'll just use the regular.
We've had visitors drop in where only one wants a cup of coffee so this
is the ideal solution.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

~patches~ wrote:

> Someone asked about the pod coffeemakers and I replied we had got one
> for Christmas. I also said I wasn't impressed as we are into finding
> and grinding coffee beans. Well, we have had the opportunity to try it
> out and again, we are impressed so I was wrong on my initial assessment.
> IMO it won't replace the perculator but it does make a decent cup of
> coffee that tastes a lot better than <shudder> instant coffee. Even
> though the pods are more expensive, the taste is worth it and there is
> less waste. There are different flavours you can get. We will buy the
> actual coffee pods. I see no reason to buy the pod tea bags as regular
> tea bags work just as well, IME. I drink a fair amount of herbal and
> green tea which they don't have pods so I'll just use the regular.
> We've had visitors drop in where only one wants a cup of coffee so this
> is the ideal solution.

One of the things that turned me off a pod machine was that the machine
manufacturers were making pods specific to their machines, so if you got a
particular brand you were stuck with their brand of coffee. That means less
price competition and the chance of your store not carrying pods for your
machine. I liked the idea of making one good cup of coffee, so that problem
turned me off the pod concept. If I want one cup of good coffee I make
espresso, but I am still open to the idea of a pod if I am wrong about the
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
> > Someone asked about the pod coffeemakers and I replied we had got one
> > for Christmas. I also said I wasn't impressed as we are into finding
> > and grinding coffee beans. Well, we have had the opportunity to try it
> > out and again, we are impressed so I was wrong on my initial assessment.
> > IMO it won't replace the perculator but it does make a decent cup of
> > coffee that tastes a lot better than <shudder> instant coffee. Even
> > though the pods are more expensive, the taste is worth it and there is
> > less waste. There are different flavours you can get. We will buy the
> > actual coffee pods. I see no reason to buy the pod tea bags as regular
> > tea bags work just as well, IME. I drink a fair amount of herbal and
> > green tea which they don't have pods so I'll just use the regular.
> > We've had visitors drop in where only one wants a cup of coffee so this
> > is the ideal solution.

> One of the things that turned me off a pod machine was that the machine
> manufacturers were making pods specific to their machines, so if you got a
> particular brand you were stuck with their brand of coffee. That means less
> price competition and the chance of your store not carrying pods for your
> machine. I liked the idea of making one good cup of coffee, so that problem
> turned me off the pod concept. If I want one cup of good coffee I make
> espresso, but I am still open to the idea of a pod if I am wrong about the
> them.

We just have a 1 cup coffee maker and make coffee one cup at a time. ;-)

But, there are only two of us and I don't drink a lot of coffee anyway,
so when I do, I want it to be REALLY good.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Roberta

Dave Smith wrote:
> ~patches~ wrote:
>

>>Someone asked about the pod coffeemakers and I replied we had got one
>>for Christmas. I also said I wasn't impressed as we are into finding
>>and grinding coffee beans. Well, we have had the opportunity to try it
>>out and again, we are impressed so I was wrong on my initial assessment.
>> IMO it won't replace the perculator but it does make a decent cup of
>>coffee that tastes a lot better than <shudder> instant coffee. Even
>>though the pods are more expensive, the taste is worth it and there is
>>less waste. There are different flavours you can get. We will buy the
>>actual coffee pods. I see no reason to buy the pod tea bags as regular
>>tea bags work just as well, IME. I drink a fair amount of herbal and
>>green tea which they don't have pods so I'll just use the regular.
>>We've had visitors drop in where only one wants a cup of coffee so this
>>is the ideal solution.

> One of the things that turned me off a pod machine was that the machine
> manufacturers were making pods specific to their machines, so if you got a
> particular brand you were stuck with their brand of coffee. That means less
> price competition and the chance of your store not carrying pods for your
> machine. I liked the idea of making one good cup of coffee, so that problem
> turned me off the pod concept. If I want one cup of good coffee I make
> espresso, but I am still open to the idea of a pod if I am wrong about the
> them.

You can buy "make your own" pod filter thingies....there is also a
website that details how to do it without buying the special filters.

Still not sure I want one of those - I really drink too much coffee to
brew it one cup at a time .... but then there are some days I just want
one cup

Roberta (in VA)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
pavane

Take a look at www.podhead.com
Nice products, excellent service, good variety.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson

Roberta wrote:

> You can buy "make your own" pod filter thingies....there is also a
> website that details how to do it without buying the special filters.

Here's instruction to make your own:

http://ineedcoffee.com/04/coffeepods/

Here's a review of the refillable pods:

http://www.epinions.com/content_154316410500

I believe I've heard of a device which
replaces the pod holder something like
a normal filter basket, thus giving you
the best of both worlds.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>We just have a 1 cup coffee maker and make coffee one cup at a time. ;-)
>
>But, there are only two of us and I don't drink a lot of coffee anyway,
>so when I do, I want it to be REALLY good.

How much is "one cup" ?

Is that an 8oz cup ? 12oz mug ?

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

<RJ> wrote on 12 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> >We just have a 1 cup coffee maker and make coffee one cup at a time. ;-)
> >
> >But, there are only two of us and I don't drink a lot of coffee anyway,
> >so when I do, I want it to be REALLY good.

> How much is "one cup" ?
>
> Is that an 8oz cup ? 12oz mug ?
>
> <rj>

I obly drink 2 cups of coffee a day...both are 24 oz cups.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Scott

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> IMO it won't replace the perculator but it does make a decent cup of
> coffee that tastes a lot better than <shudder> instant coffee.

Percolator? <shudder>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

Yield revisited Brick[_3_] Barbecue 2 15-09-2008 07:33 AM
Pesto Revisited The Joneses[_1_] General Cooking 7 25-04-2007 04:48 PM
Rum Pot Revisited Casey Wilson Winemaking 10 14-04-2007 10:17 PM
Kalami Tea Revisited Scott Dorsey Tea 7 09-08-2005 02:09 PM
CoffeeMakers General Cooking 140 08-09-2004 03:13 AM