Default CoffeeMakers

We really enjoy our morning coffee !

For years, we've used the same drip-maker
with the paper filters.

Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
that uses cone filters.

Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
and yet the brew is noticeably better.

I'm thinking its because
more of the water goes through the grounds.

????

Has anyone had similar experiences ?

<rj>
smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:35:40 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
>For years, we've used the same drip-maker
>with the paper filters.
>
>Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
>that uses cone filters.
>
>Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
>and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
>????
>
>Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>

><rj>

I think paper filters impart a real taste. To me the brown paper
filters are even worse. Perhaps you are getting better coverage of
your coffee grounds, but I bet you've lost that paper flavor.

aloha,
thunder

www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
smithfarms pure kona

In rec.food.cooking, "<RJ>" > wrote:

> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
> and yet the brew is noticeably better.

> I'm thinking its because
> more of the water goes through the grounds.

Could be, or it could be other factors. The vast majority of
coffeemakers do not get hot enough, and do not keep the grounds wet long
enough.

Check out http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip for reasonably reliable
buying advice.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, "<RJ>" > wrote:

> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
> and yet the brew is noticeably better.

> I'm thinking its because
> more of the water goes through the grounds.

Could be, or it could be other factors. The vast majority of
coffeemakers do not get hot enough, and do not keep the grounds wet long
enough.

Check out http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip for reasonably reliable
buying advice.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

Arri London

"" wrote:

> We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
> For years, we've used the same drip-maker
> with the paper filters.
>
> Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
> that uses cone filters.
>
> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
> and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
> I'm thinking its because
> more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
> ????
>
> Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>

> <rj>

How often did you clean the old one? We never noticed any difference
between using a permanent metal filter and paper filters, but then we've
always had cone-shaped filters either way. But there is always a
difference between the old coffee maker and the new one
Arri London

"" wrote:

> We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
> For years, we've used the same drip-maker
> with the paper filters.
>
> Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
> that uses cone filters.
>
> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
> and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
> I'm thinking its because
> more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
> ????
>
> Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>

> <rj>

How often did you clean the old one? We never noticed any difference
between using a permanent metal filter and paper filters, but then we've
always had cone-shaped filters either way. But there is always a
difference between the old coffee maker and the new one
PENMART01

>: " RJ " writes:
>
>We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
>For years, we've used the same drip-maker
>with the paper filters.
>
>Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
>that uses cone filters.
>
>Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
>and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
>????
>
>Has anyone had similar experiences ?

I seriously doubt it's the filter configuration, more likely your new unit is a
better designed machine, water is likely hotter and drip rate more refined....
I can regulate the water temperature and hot plate temperature, and the flow
rate with my machine. Mine is designed to take cone filters but the basket
type costs substantially less so I use those and notice no difference
regardless which type of filter.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>: " RJ " writes:
>
>We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
>For years, we've used the same drip-maker
>with the paper filters.
>
>Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
>that uses cone filters.
>
>Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
>and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
>????
>
>Has anyone had similar experiences ?

I seriously doubt it's the filter configuration, more likely your new unit is a
better designed machine, water is likely hotter and drip rate more refined....
I can regulate the water temperature and hot plate temperature, and the flow
rate with my machine. Mine is designed to take cone filters but the basket
type costs substantially less so I use those and notice no difference
regardless which type of filter.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>: " RJ " writes:
>
>We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
>For years, we've used the same drip-maker
>with the paper filters.
>
>Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
>that uses cone filters.
>
>Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
>and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
>????
>
>Has anyone had similar experiences ?

I seriously doubt it's the filter configuration, more likely your new unit is a
better designed machine, water is likely hotter and drip rate more refined....
I can regulate the water temperature and hot plate temperature, and the flow
rate with my machine. Mine is designed to take cone filters but the basket
type costs substantially less so I use those and notice no difference
regardless which type of filter.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

> Arri London
>
>"" wrote:
>>
>> We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>>
>> For years, we've used the same drip-maker
>> with the paper filters.
>>
>> Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
>> that uses cone filters.
>>
>> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
>> and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>>
>> I'm thinking its because
>> more of the water goes through the grounds.
>>
>> ????
>>
>> Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>>

>> <rj>

>How often did you clean the old one? We never noticed any difference
>between using a permanent metal filter and paper filters, but then we've
>always had cone-shaped filters either way. But there is always a
>difference between the old coffee maker and the new one

The OP never mentioned metal mesh filters, paper filters come in basket and
cone shape, so do the metal mesh type.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> Arri London
>
>"" wrote:
>>
>> We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>>
>> For years, we've used the same drip-maker
>> with the paper filters.
>>
>> Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
>> that uses cone filters.
>>
>> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
>> and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>>
>> I'm thinking its because
>> more of the water goes through the grounds.
>>
>> ????
>>
>> Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>>

>> <rj>

>How often did you clean the old one? We never noticed any difference
>between using a permanent metal filter and paper filters, but then we've
>always had cone-shaped filters either way. But there is always a
>difference between the old coffee maker and the new one

The OP never mentioned metal mesh filters, paper filters come in basket and
cone shape, so do the metal mesh type.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Richard Periut writes:
>
>Susan wrote:
>>
>>>Richard Periut writes:
>>>Just my 2 cents. I use reverse osmosis water (same thing I use for my
>>>reef hobby, irons, et cetera,) for my coffee machines (both expresso and
>>>drip coffee maker.) It has taken the pain of using vinegar on a monthly
>>>basis, to rid the machines of calcium deposits, et cetera.
>>>
>>>You can buy distilled water, but it's expensive. RO water cents to the
>>>gallon, and no carrying and hauling of gallons--not to mention storing

>them.
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>
>>>Rich

>> I use Brita filtered water, and my drip pot has a charcoal filter in it

>that I
>> replace every three months.
>>
>> Susan

>Brita is good for the first 20 gallons. Afterwards, you can start
>tasting the hardness again. I know, I used a conductivity meter to prove
>this. Not to mention the substances that produce aftertaste.
>
>A good RO membrane will last you years (especially if you protect the
>membrane by replacing the prefilter, usually 25 bucks at costco, every
>year.)
>
>Charcoal also reacts very quickly and after a couple of gallons, is
>pretty much nothing but a gravel filter.
>
>Invest in a good RO unit, and you'll get almost pure water, long
>lasting, and good for various uses.

Yup, RO water is great... other than distilled sterile water no other water
comes anywhere close to the purity of RO water. Typical bottled water
(especially costly designer types) is neither mineral/chemical free or bacteria
free. I love my RO water, costs maybe 1¢/gallon, and the spigot is right there
at my kitchen sink so I don't need to lug jugs. The same local company that
installed my water softening system installed the RO, and services both for a
very nominal fee... four filter cartridges get replaced, the UV light bulb gets
replaced, all the tubing, fittings, etc. get sanitized internally, the RO
pressure is adjusted, and a bunch of other tune up procedures are performed.
The service takes about 30 minutes and for all parts and labor I paid $112 last
time, and this also includes servicing another complete water softening system
with filters and UV in my rental house (no RO there), the service is performed
once a year. I suggest everyone install an RO unit, they aren't very expensive
(about $350 for top of the line), and it's not very difficult to install it
yourself if you're so inclined, the unit is small, easily fits in one half the
cabinet under the kitchen sink, mine is installed in my basement, attached to
the foundation wall just below the kitchen sink... not even a big deal to run
RO water to your fridge icemaker... I don't use much ice so I have no icemaker,
I simply fill my ice trays from the RO. My cats like RO water too. But now
I'm spoiled, when I go to someone elses house or to a restaurant I can no
longer tolerate their water... especially if it contains chlorine, blech!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> [...]

time, and this also includes servicing another complete water softening system
with filters and UV in my rental house (no RO there), the service is performed
once a year. I suggest everyone install an RO unit, they aren't very expensive
(about $350 for top of the line), and it's not very difficult to install it
yourself if you're so inclined, the unit is small, easily fits in one half the
cabinet under the kitchen sink, mine is installed in my basement, attached to
the foundation wall just below the kitchen sink... not even a big deal to run
RO water to your fridge icemaker... I don't use much ice so I have no icemaker,
I simply fill my ice trays from the RO. My cats like RO water too. But now
I'm spoiled, when I go to someone elses house or to a restaurant I can no
longer tolerate their water... especially if it contains chlorine, blech!

RMiller

>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.

I wonder if maybe with the new coffee maker, the water is hotter! This could
make a differernce in the taste.I have used different kinds of the paper
filters with no real difference in taste.

Rosie

RMiller

>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.

I wonder if maybe with the new coffee maker, the water is hotter! This could
make a differernce in the taste.I have used different kinds of the paper
filters with no real difference in taste.

Rosie
JimLane

<RJ> wrote:
> We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
> For years, we've used the same drip-maker
> with the paper filters.
>
> Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
> that uses cone filters.
>
> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
> and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
> I'm thinking its because
> more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
> ????
>
> Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>

> <rj>

You've heard a lot from respondents, but the one thing that is not clear
in your post, and asked by Sheldon, is: did you switch from paper
filters to metal filters?

If you did, one thing that IS getting through to your cup now is the oil
from the coffee. Paper filters suck it up and the associated flavor.

If both are paper filters, then it may be a difference in brew
temperature and/or how long the grounds are exposed to the water.

To take another step up, you have said you'll go to a vacuum pot. Good
idea, although you might want to check out press pots. As I do not make
full pots, except on rare occasions, I find a small press pot performs
more than admirable duty, is smaller on the counter and can be cleaned
very quickly.

jim
JimLane

<RJ> wrote:
> We really enjoy our morning coffee !
>
> For years, we've used the same drip-maker
> with the paper filters.
>
> Recently we bought a new coffee-maker
> that uses cone filters.
>
> Same water, same brand of coffee, same measure,
> and yet the brew is noticeably better.
>
> I'm thinking its because
> more of the water goes through the grounds.
>
> ????
>
> Has anyone had similar experiences ?
>

> <rj>

You've heard a lot from respondents, but the one thing that is not clear
in your post, and asked by Sheldon, is: did you switch from paper
filters to metal filters?

If you did, one thing that IS getting through to your cup now is the oil
from the coffee. Paper filters suck it up and the associated flavor.

If both are paper filters, then it may be a difference in brew
temperature and/or how long the grounds are exposed to the water.

To take another step up, you have said you'll go to a vacuum pot. Good
idea, although you might want to check out press pots. As I do not make
full pots, except on rare occasions, I find a small press pot performs
more than admirable duty, is smaller on the counter and can be cleaned
very quickly.

jim
JimLane

PENMART01 wrote:

snip

> Yup, RO water is great... other than distilled sterile water no other water
> comes anywhere close to the purity of RO water. Typical bottled water
> (especially costly designer types) is neither mineral/chemical free or bacteria
> free. I love my RO water, costs maybe 1¢/gallon, and the spigot is right there
> at my kitchen sink so I don't need to lug jugs. The same local company that
> installed my water softening system installed the RO, and services both for a
> very nominal fee... four filter cartridges get replaced, the UV light bulb gets
> replaced, all the tubing, fittings, etc. get sanitized internally, the RO
> pressure is adjusted, and a bunch of other tune up procedures are performed.
> The service takes about 30 minutes and for all parts and labor I paid $112 last
> time, and this also includes servicing another complete water softening system
> with filters and UV in my rental house (no RO there), the service is performed
> once a year. I suggest everyone install an RO unit, they aren't very expensive
> (about $350 for top of the line), and it's not very difficult to install it
> yourself if you're so inclined, the unit is small, easily fits in one half the
> cabinet under the kitchen sink, mine is installed in my basement, attached to
> the foundation wall just below the kitchen sink... not even a big deal to run
> RO water to your fridge icemaker... I don't use much ice so I have no icemaker,
> I simply fill my ice trays from the RO. My cats like RO water too. But now
> I'm spoiled, when I go to someone elses house or to a restaurant I can no
> longer tolerate their water... especially if it contains chlorine, blech!

Last I checked, and that about 10 years ago, the cost of RO also
included a hidden cost as it cost several gallons of water per each
gallon of RO, especially if it had a back-flush in it.

Has the technology changed? How many gallons of water per gallon of RO
in today's units?

jim
PENMART01

> JimLane writes:
>
>Last I checked, and that about 10 years ago, the cost of RO also
>included a hidden cost as it cost several gallons of water per each
>gallon of RO, especially if it had a back-flush in it.
>
>Has the technology changed? How many gallons of water per gallon of RO
>in today's units?

Most people waste more water brushing their teeth... I've yet to ever see
anyone shut off the tap while they brush.

The RO unit cycles 3-4 gallons to produce 1 gallon of filtered water....
there's no appreciable cost or hardship unless one lives somewhere in a desert
and has to truck in their water. How much water do you think most folks
consume each day, at most 1 1/2 gallons, but most people average less than 1
gallon a day over time. The RO filters only the water from the dedicated tap,
not all the water in the house. Do two toilet flushes less each day and you'll
be even. In the US most households connected to municipal water never even
come close to using their basic allotment, unless they wash cars and water
lawns each day. With a private well there is no water bill for volume. I
guarantee you waste far more water without even realizing than you would ever
pass through an RO... do you have any idea how many gallons the typical
American teenage girl uses each day just washing her hair... well that's not
even close to the water the average teenage boy uses each day washing his
wheels.

Actually it's been proven that households with ROs consume far less water... no
one wastes water letting it run before filling their glass, coffee pot, cooking
water, etc... place whatever vessel under the spigot and press the lever, no
water ever hits the sink.... RO water is always fresh tasting and doesn't get
any colder by letting it run... left full open continuously the storage tank
will empty far faster than it can filter more water. ROs are not designed for
large volume usage, like washing, but produce an adaquate supply at an adequate
rate for drinking, cooking, ice cubes and such... my unit has a 1 1/2 gallon
storage tank, I've never yet needed an amount of water at one time that came
close to emptying it.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

> JimLane writes:
>
>Last I checked, and that about 10 years ago, the cost of RO also
>included a hidden cost as it cost several gallons of water per each
>gallon of RO, especially if it had a back-flush in it.
>
>Has the technology changed? How many gallons of water per gallon of RO
>in today's units?

Most people waste more water brushing their teeth... I've yet to ever see
anyone shut off the tap while they brush.

The RO unit cycles 3-4 gallons to produce 1 gallon of filtered water....
there's no appreciable cost or hardship unless one lives somewhere in a desert
and has to truck in their water. How much water do you think most folks
consume each day, at most 1 1/2 gallons, but most people average less than 1
gallon a day over time. The RO filters only the water from the dedicated tap,
not all the water in the house. Do two toilet flushes less each day and you'll
be even. In the US most households connected to municipal water never even
come close to using their basic allotment, unless they wash cars and water
lawns each day. With a private well there is no water bill for volume. I
guarantee you waste far more water without even realizing than you would ever
pass through an RO... do you have any idea how many gallons the typical
American teenage girl uses each day just washing her hair... well that's not
even close to the water the average teenage boy uses each day washing his
wheels.

Actually it's been proven that households with ROs consume far less water... no
one wastes water letting it run before filling their glass, coffee pot, cooking
water, etc... place whatever vessel under the spigot and press the lever, no
water ever hits the sink.... RO water is always fresh tasting and doesn't get
any colder by letting it run... left full open continuously the storage tank
will empty far faster than it can filter more water. ROs are not designed for
large volume usage, like washing, but produce an adaquate supply at an adequate
rate for drinking, cooking, ice cubes and such... my unit has a 1 1/2 gallon
storage tank, I've never yet needed an amount of water at one time that came
close to emptying it.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
rosie

: Invest in a good RO unit, and you'll get almost pure water, long
: lasting, and good for various uses.
:
: HTH,
:
: Rich
:
:

do you have a recommendation?

Richard Periut

JimLane wrote:
> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> snip
>

>> Yup, RO water is great... other than distilled sterile water no other
>> water
>> comes anywhere close to the purity of RO water. Typical bottled water
>> (especially costly designer types) is neither mineral/chemical free or
>> bacteria
>> free. I love my RO water, costs maybe 1¢/gallon, and the spigot is
>> right there
>> at my kitchen sink so I don't need to lug jugs. The same local
>> company that
>> installed my water softening system installed the RO, and services
>> both for a
>> very nominal fee... four filter cartridges get replaced, the UV light
>> bulb gets
>> replaced, all the tubing, fittings, etc. get sanitized internally, the RO
>> pressure is adjusted, and a bunch of other tune up procedures are
>> performed.
>> The service takes about 30 minutes and for all parts and labor I paid
>> $112 last
>> time, and this also includes servicing another complete water
>> softening system
>> with filters and UV in my rental house (no RO there), the service is
>> performed
>> once a year. I suggest everyone install an RO unit, they aren't very
>> expensive
>> (about $350 for top of the line), and it's not very difficult to
>> install it
>> yourself if you're so inclined, the unit is small, easily fits in one
>> half the
>> cabinet under the kitchen sink, mine is installed in my basement,
>> attached to
>> the foundation wall just below the kitchen sink... not even a big deal
>> to run
>> RO water to your fridge icemaker... I don't use much ice so I have no
>> icemaker,
>> I simply fill my ice trays from the RO. My cats like RO water too.
>> But now
>> I'm spoiled, when I go to someone elses house or to a restaurant I can no
>> longer tolerate their water... especially if it contains chlorine, blech!
>>

> Last I checked, and that about 10 years ago, the cost of RO also
> included a hidden cost as it cost several gallons of water per each
> gallon of RO, especially if it had a back-flush in it.
>
> Has the technology changed? How many gallons of water per gallon of RO
> in today's units?
>

> jim

I get about 1:3 ratio of RO:Waste. But it doesn't go to waste. I use it
for my wash. So I wash my cloth with some extra calcium and wastes. Big
deal, the detergent, the rinse and dryer take care of that.

Plus, at least where I live, water is pretty cheap. It still is cheaper
that buying and hauling gallons.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Richard Periut

BubbaBob wrote:

> RO water makes terrible, flat-tasting coffee. It also eats the guts
> out of coffee brewers and espresso machines. Good coffee requires a
> certain percentage of dissolved minerals. the SCAA has a spec for
> this but I've forgotten exactly what the numbers are. Here in
> Albuquerque out tap water makes really good coffee after you let it
> sit for 24 hours to outgas the chlorine. Lucky us.

That's your opinion and taste. I find the coffee and expresso give out
their nuances better if water is not contaminated with salts, et cetera.

BTW, can you please explain to me how RO water eats the guts of coffee
brewers and expresso machines? I really am intrigued.

TIA,

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Richard Periut

BubbaBob wrote:

> RO water makes terrible, flat-tasting coffee. It also eats the guts
> out of coffee brewers and espresso machines. Good coffee requires a
> certain percentage of dissolved minerals. the SCAA has a spec for
> this but I've forgotten exactly what the numbers are. Here in
> Albuquerque out tap water makes really good coffee after you let it
> sit for 24 hours to outgas the chlorine. Lucky us.

That's your opinion and taste. I find the coffee and expresso give out
their nuances better if water is not contaminated with salts, et cetera.

BTW, can you please explain to me how RO water eats the guts of coffee
brewers and expresso machines? I really am intrigued.

TIA,

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Richard Periut

rosie wrote:

> : Invest in a good RO unit, and you'll get almost pure water, long
> : lasting, and good for various uses.
> :
> : HTH,
> :
> : Rich
> :
> :
>
> do you have a recommendation?

Costco sells the GE unit I have. I think I paid 189, don't remember
exactly. I've had it well over two years, and the only thing I have
replaced is the pre and post filters every 9 months. I check the RO
water with a conductivity meter, and it still reads 17 microsiemens--the
same number when I purchased it. My faucet water reads 750 + - 50

The reason I'm fussy is that I use the water for doing water changes and
adding top off for evaporation for a reef tank I have. I have invested
many hundreds of dollars in the tank, and the water has to be of the
purest quality or I'll lose the expensive marine life.

HTH,

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Richard Periut

rosie wrote:

> : Invest in a good RO unit, and you'll get almost pure water, long
> : lasting, and good for various uses.
> :
> : HTH,
> :
> : Rich
> :
> :
>
> do you have a recommendation?

Costco sells the GE unit I have. I think I paid 189, don't remember
exactly. I've had it well over two years, and the only thing I have
replaced is the pre and post filters every 9 months. I check the RO
water with a conductivity meter, and it still reads 17 microsiemens--the
same number when I purchased it. My faucet water reads 750 + - 50

The reason I'm fussy is that I use the water for doing water changes and
adding top off for evaporation for a reef tank I have. I have invested
many hundreds of dollars in the tank, and the water has to be of the
purest quality or I'll lose the expensive marine life.

HTH,

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

rosie

thanks for the info.

--
rosie

"I think Senator Kerry should be proud of his record. No, I don't
think he lied."
.................................................. ...GEORGE W. BUSH
(8-25-04)
http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/USfatalities.html

"Richard Periut" > wrote in message
: rosie wrote:
:
: > : Invest in a good RO unit, and you'll get almost pure water,
long
: > : lasting, and good for various uses.
: > :
: > : HTH,
: > :
: > : Rich
: > :
: > :
: >
[...]
: --
: "Dum Spiro, Spero."
:
: As long as I breath, I hope.
:
: Cicero
:

Denise~*

wrote:

>Has anyone had similar experiences ?

When I switched to a gold filter, yes.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Denise~*

wrote:

>Has anyone had similar experiences ?

When I switched to a gold filter, yes.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.

If you're serious about your coffee, or think you might be, go lurk for
a while at alt.coffee

They know more about coffee than you could imagine. Most are into
espresso, but they'll give good advice on "regular " coffees as well.

The first and easiest steps to making great coffee are buying fresh
beans, and grinding them for the coffee you're going to make now.

ALL pre-ground beans are stale in a few hours.

Grinding your own has many different cost levels, but you can start low
and grow.
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.

If you're serious about your coffee, or think you might be, go lurk for

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm thinking its because
>more of the water goes through the grounds.

If you're serious about your coffee, or think you might be, go lurk for

Richard Periut

BubbaBob wrote:
> Richard Periut > wrote:
>

>>BubbaBob wrote:
>>

>>>RO water makes terrible, flat-tasting coffee. It also eats the
>>>guts out of coffee brewers and espresso machines. Good coffee
>>>requires a certain percentage of dissolved minerals. the SCAA
>>>has a spec for this but I've forgotten exactly what the numbers
>>>are. Here in Albuquerque out tap water makes really good coffee
>>>after you let it sit for 24 hours to outgas the chlorine. Lucky
>>>us.

>>That's your opinion and taste. I find the coffee and expresso
>>give out their nuances better if water is not contaminated with
>>salts, et cetera.
>>
>>BTW, can you please explain to me how RO water eats the guts of
>>coffee brewers and expresso machines? I really am intrigued.
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Rich
>>

> Really pure water is a fantastic solvent, a bit of dissolved mineral
> salts can really cut down its corrosive potential.

Corrosive to plastic and rubber? I have never heard of that. Also, I
have never heard of the chemical / physical reaction that takes place
between water (almost pure,) and rubber and plastic. Quite the contrary
with water that has salts in it; very corrosive to metals like iron and
copper.

Can you point to your source of information to back this up?

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero

Richard Periut

In rec.food.cooking, Susan > wrote:

> I use Brita filtered water, and my drip pot has a charcoal filter in it that I
> replace every three months.

I use a Brita too. My water is pretty good straight from the tap, but
better after the Brita filters it.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, PENMART01 > wrote:

> Yup, RO water is great... other than distilled sterile water no other water
> comes anywhere close to the purity of RO water. Typical bottled water
> (especially costly designer types) is neither mineral/chemical free

But don't the minerals taste good? Sometimes?

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who