Posted to rec.food.cooking
CJ Jones

Default Evil Potato Soup Quesa-Question

My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
or milk or??

thanks

CJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"CJ Jones" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he bought
> mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the cheese just
> curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a fix for this? I
> have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these or milk or??
>
> thanks
>
> CJ

I've found cheese to be the last thing you put into a soup shortly before
you serve it as heat will make it curdle. No help for now, but something
to think about for your next batch.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

CJ Jones wrote:
> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
> bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
> cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
> fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
> or milk or??
>
> thanks
>
> CJ

You could try a fairly stiff beurre manie but it'll be iffy in any case.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"CJ Jones" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he bought
> mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the cheese just
> curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a fix for this? I
> have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these or milk or??
>
> thanks
>
> CJ

You cooked the cheese for too long. Cheese soups are kinda disgusting
anyway. Try using pureed beans to thicken potato soup, and spices to add
some zing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kevnbro

>My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it.

White House Cookbook!? Of course there'll be oil in it!! (yet
another drum crash!) Kev

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"kevnbro" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
> >letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it.

> White House Cookbook!? Of course there'll be oil in it!! (yet
> another drum crash!) Kev

Are you writing for Letterman, too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

CJ Jones wrote:
> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
> bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
> cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
> fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
> or milk or??

Here's a suggestion for the New Year: let's stop putting cheese in
everything. American consumption of cheese was 11 pounds per person in
1970, 31 pounds per person in 2003. Is this the only reason Americans
are so much fatter than they used to be? Of course not. But it's a
"thing that makes you go hmmmm." Who says broccoli and cauliflower
need to have their taste overpowered by cheese? What don't you like
about potatoes that makes you want to disguise them with cheese? Why
are you using hamburger meat that's so bad you want to mask it with
cheese? Okay, I make an exception for pizza.... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "CJ Jones" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
>> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he bought
>> mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the cheese just
>> curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a fix for this? I
>> have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these or milk or??
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> CJ

> You cooked the cheese for too long. Cheese soups are kinda disgusting
> anyway. Try using pureed beans to thicken potato soup, and spices to add
> some zing.

Strictly in my Opinion.

In any Soup recipe...The Cheese in Question should be added in the last
15 minutes and never ever be brought past a slow simmer. In Fact if the
cheese has melted fully then serve the soup. Cheese has butterfat in it
and just like cream it too will curdle if boiled too long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

CJ Jones wrote:
> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
> bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
> cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
> fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use
> these or milk or??
>
> thanks
>
> CJ

As others have indicated, cheese should only be added at the last minute
until it melts. I didn't realize they used slow cookers in The White House
Cookbook I'd have gone with the milk and tried to smooth it out, but
that's just me.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "CJ Jones" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> the cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone
>> have a fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should
>> I use these or milk or??
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> CJ

> You cooked the cheese for too long. Cheese soups are kinda disgusting
> anyway.

I disagree. I love a good cheddar cheese or beer-cheese soup. For a potato
soup I'd have added the cheese at the last minute or used it as a garnish
and stirred it in the bowl until it was all melty. Top with some crumbled
bacon, snipped chives, sour cream, you have Loaded Baked Potato soup

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
CJ Jones

jmcquown wrote:
> CJ Jones wrote:
>> My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
>> letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
>> bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
>> cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
>> fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use
>> these or milk or??
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> CJ

> As others have indicated, cheese should only be added at the last minute
> until it melts. I didn't realize they used slow cookers in The White House
> Cookbook I'd have gone with the milk and tried to smooth it out, but
> that's just me.
>
> Jill

Thanks! Yep I used the "kettle soup and cheddar recipe"... the slow
cooker was the closest alternative I had at the house at the time.

And thanks to everyone.. lesson learned!! Cheese is a last minute
thingyamabob!!

CJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bubba

aem wrote:
> CJ Jones wrote:
>
>>My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
>>letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
>>bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
>>cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
>>fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
>> or milk or??

> Here's a suggestion for the New Year: let's stop putting cheese in
> everything. American consumption of cheese was 11 pounds per person in
> 1970, 31 pounds per person in 2003. Is this the only reason Americans
> are so much fatter than they used to be? Of course not. But it's a
> "thing that makes you go hmmmm." Who says broccoli and cauliflower
> need to have their taste overpowered by cheese? What don't you like
> about potatoes that makes you want to disguise them with cheese? Why
> are you using hamburger meat that's so bad you want to mask it with
> cheese? Okay, I make an exception for pizza.... -aem

You can keep a pound for your pizza and send me the other 30!!!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure or you wanna cook?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

aem wrote:

> CJ Jones wrote:
>
>>My recipe for potato soup, (white house cook book) was followed to the
>>letter, but I think the cheese we got has oils in it. I thought he
>>bought mild cheddar. I used a slow cooker to make the recipe, and the
>>cheese just curded up after the second hour or so. Does anyone have a
>>fix for this? I have provolone and jack in the house. Should I use these
>> or milk or??

> Here's a suggestion for the New Year: let's stop putting cheese in
> everything. American consumption of cheese was 11 pounds per person in
> 1970, 31 pounds per person in 2003. Is this the only reason Americans
> are so much fatter than they used to be? Of course not. But it's a
> "thing that makes you go hmmmm." Who says broccoli and cauliflower
> need to have their taste overpowered by cheese? What don't you like
> about potatoes that makes you want to disguise them with cheese? Why
> are you using hamburger meat that's so bad you want to mask it with
> cheese? Okay, I make an exception for pizza.... -aem

Sorry, can't do. Cheese is a staple in our home. I will admit to
liking my veggies undressed though with the exception of a wee bit of
butter. I seldom serve cheese on broccoli or cauliflower if eating
either as a veggie. As a soup, cheese really makes the soup for either
of these veggies even though plain cream of broccoli soup is pretty
good. I like sour cream on baked potatoes. In fact I can think of only
a couple of dishes where I use some type of cheese with potatoes. Now
cheese just goes very nice with burgers and dishes containing ground beef.

BTW, years ago and I can't remember where I heard it, someone said the
easiest way to lose weight was to undress your veggies. That means
leave the sauces and toppings off your veggies. Since I don't dress
them in the first place, it makes no difference. When you consider
salads, almost all of the calories are in the dressing. IMO, the very
best salad topping that brings out the flavour with almost no calories
is fresh squeezed lemon juice.