Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

Default Slow cooker pot roast

I just put a 4 pound Angus roast in the slow cooker with a can of
cream-of-mushroom soup, some onion soup mix, and water.

I plan to cook it on low for 9-10 hours.

When should I add baby carrots and new potatoes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elisa

> wrote in message
>I just put a 4 pound Angus roast in the slow cooker with a can of
> cream-of-mushroom soup, some onion soup mix, and water.
>
> I plan to cook it on low for 9-10 hours.
>
> When should I add baby carrots and new potatoes?

I'll be interested to see what everyone's response is to this, Mitch.

I really have had no success with the carrots and potatoes in the crockpot,
so I just cook them on the stovetop at the end of the 9-10 hours and throw
them in the stew.

Elisa

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent

Combining a decent cut of beef roast, assuming that's what it is, strikes me
as the most tasteless, laziest, and dumbest waste of meat I can imagine.
It's almost a waste of electricity.

> wrote in message
>I just put a 4 pound Angus roast in the slow cooker with a can of
> cream-of-mushroom soup, some onion soup mix, and water.
>
> I plan to cook it on low for 9-10 hours.
>
> When should I add baby carrots and new potatoes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

>It's almost a waste of electricity.

Thanks for your thoughts.

We love the way it turns out, so that's that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Kent wrote:

> Combining a decent cut of beef roast, assuming that's what it is, strikes me
> as the most tasteless, laziest, and dumbest waste of meat I can imagine.
> It's almost a waste of electricity.
>
> > wrote in message
> >I just put a 4 pound Angus roast in the slow cooker with a can of
> > cream-of-mushroom soup, some onion soup mix, and water.
> >
> > I plan to cook it on low for 9-10 hours.
> >
> > When should I add baby carrots and new potatoes?

I have to agree with the fact that an angus roast is better done
another way. I pot roast the tougher cuts only. ...........Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 01 Jan 2006 11:29:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 08:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> ?
>>
>> > I just put a 4 pound Angus roast in the slow cooker with a can of
>> > cream-of-mushroom soup, some onion soup mix, and water.
>> >
>> > I plan to cook it on low for 9-10 hours.
>> >
>> > When should I add baby carrots and new potatoes?

>> The carrots and potatoes need at least 5 hours.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>> __________________________________________________ ________________
>> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

> I usually agree with you Wayne, but it depends on what flavour you
> want the vegs to take on. For years I put them in when I put the roast
> in, because I worked and need it to be ready as soon as I got home. But
> now that I'm retired, I put the vegs in for just the time it takes to
> cook them separately..well, maybe a bit longer but not much. I find I
> like the flavour better. They taste more like themselves rather than
> all the flavours in the liquid. ......Sharon

I agree with you about the potatoes. They can certainly get overdone and
sodden with the cooking liquid. I've had problems with carrots remaining
hard, however, so I do give them more time. Actually, the last time I made
a potroast in the crockpot, I cooked both the potatoes and carrots
independently, then added to the meat juices just at the end.

Of course the premise of the crockpot is long, unattended cooking. To reap
the benefits of that, one often has to make a lot of concessions. The
results are often not ideal.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
biig

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 11:29:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 08:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> >> ?

> >> The carrots and potatoes need at least 5 hours.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
> >> __________________________________________________ ________________
> >> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

> > I usually agree with you Wayne, but it depends on what flavour you
> > want the vegs to take on. For years I put them in when I put the roast
> > in, because I worked and need it to be ready as soon as I got home. But
> > now that I'm retired, I put the vegs in for just the time it takes to
> > cook them separately..well, maybe a bit longer but not much. I find I
> > like the flavour better. They taste more like themselves rather than
> > all the flavours in the liquid. ......Sharon
> >

> I agree with you about the potatoes. They can certainly get overdone and
> sodden with the cooking liquid. I've had problems with carrots remaining
> hard, however, so I do give them more time. Actually, the last time I made
> a potroast in the crockpot, I cooked both the potatoes and carrots
> independently, then added to the meat juices just at the end.
>
> Of course the premise of the crockpot is long, unattended cooking. To reap
> the benefits of that, one often has to make a lot of concessions. The
> results are often not ideal.

Right on....I always put the carrots in while I'm prepping the
potatoes, so they get more cooking time than the spuds. ....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 11:29:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 01 Jan 2006 08:22:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> ?

>>> The carrots and potatoes need at least 5 hours.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>> __________________________________________________ ________________
>>> And if we enter a room full of manure, may we believe in the pony.

>> I usually agree with you Wayne, but it depends on what flavour you
>> want the vegs to take on. For years I put them in when I put the roast
>> in, because I worked and need it to be ready as soon as I got home. But
>> now that I'm retired, I put the vegs in for just the time it takes to
>> cook them separately..well, maybe a bit longer but not much. I find I
>> like the flavour better. They taste more like themselves rather than
>> all the flavours in the liquid. ......Sharon
>>

> I agree with you about the potatoes. They can certainly get overdone and
> sodden with the cooking liquid. I've had problems with carrots remaining
> hard, however, so I do give them more time. Actually, the last time I made
> a potroast in the crockpot, I cooked both the potatoes and carrots
> independently, then added to the meat juices just at the end.
>
> Of course the premise of the crockpot is long, unattended cooking. To reap
> the benefits of that, one often has to make a lot of concessions. The
> results are often not ideal.

I add veggies to the potroast...Whatever I think will flavour the broth
the best that day and Cook it all together about 8 hrs on low...If I
want veggies with the roast I cook them seperately. Boy that makes
killer gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 01 Jan 2006 03:17:18p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> sf wrote:

>>> A roast in the crock pot comes out soooooo tender. What's not to
>>> like about it? A cheap roast turns into something tasting much more
>>> expensive.

>> His point is that Angus isn't cheap.

> The odd thing about this is almost every cut of beef I see at the
> grocery store is now labelled "Certified Angus Beef". Hmmmm. So if
> it's all Angus, what's the difference? And how did those other cows get
> away with killing off only the Angus' ? <G>
>
> Jill

We have one supermarket chain here in the Phoenix area that carries
predominantly "Certified Angus Beef". On the whole, I like their beef a
lot, the roasts, ribs, stew meat, etc. A month or so ago I bought an Angus
ribeye steak. It was one of the toughest steaks I've ever tried to eat. A
year ago, I bought my standing rib there, and took it back for a refund the
the day after Christmas because it was too tough to eat. Some may think
that being Angus beef also means that it's prime grade, but there's just as
much select and choice graded Angus as there is of any other beef. Angus
is a breed, not a quality grade. The steak and the roast were choice. In
cuts that I am not planning to braise, potroast, or stew, I will never by
anything but prime again. No beef is cheap, and with results like that,
it's a total waste of money.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann

sf wrote:
> On 1 Jan 2006 09:12:49 -0800, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>

> > A roast in the crock pot comes out soooooo tender. What's not to like
> > about it? A cheap roast turns into something tasting much more
> > expensive.

> His point is that Angus isn't cheap.
> --

I didn't say his roast was cheap. I was saying it will even make a
cheap roast tender and have you thinking it originally was an expensive
roast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton

One word:

Adovada.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 01 Jan 2006 04:45:45p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Blair P.
Houghton?

> One word:
>
> Adovada.

Isn't that usually make with pork? The OP was cooking beef.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 1 Jan 2006 15:30:57 -0800, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On 1 Jan 2006 09:12:49 -0800, itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> >

> > > A roast in the crock pot comes out soooooo tender. What's not to like
> > > about it? A cheap roast turns into something tasting much more
> > > expensive.

> > His point is that Angus isn't cheap.
> > --

> I didn't say his roast was cheap. I was saying it will even make a
> cheap roast tender and have you thinking it originally was an expensive
> roast.

joan, cheap = inexpensive in this case.

BTW: After all this time, I finally "got" your nick. My godmother's
name is JoAnn, but it's spelled "Joan".... something I didn't know
until Dec 2005.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
itsjoannotjoann

sf wrote:
> BTW: After all this time, I finally "got" your nick. My godmother's
> name is JoAnn, but it's spelled "Joan".... something I didn't know
> until Dec 2005.
> --

My former neighbor across the street spelled hers Joan, too, and
pronounced it JoAnn. I never could understand that. I tell everybody
who has any doubts how to pronounce it that it's just like Joan of Arc,
Joan Fontaine, Joan Bennett, Joan Crawford, Joan Collins, etc.

:-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 1 Jan 2006 17:44:47 -0800, itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> My former neighbor across the street spelled hers Joan, too, and
> pronounced it JoAnn. I never could understand that.

Apparently, it's an "era" thing. Would she be in her 70s now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Blair P. Houghton

>Isn't that usually make with pork?

Sorry. I didn't look that far back. Saw something about a pork
roast...

--Blair