Default Slow Cooker and Chuck Roast

Hi,
I bought a Farberware 6 qt oval slow cooker. I put in a 3.5 lb chuck
roast and added the prescribed liquid,et al. Instructions in the
recipe stated (7) hours on HIGH. The meat fell apart and became
shredded beef, fabulous for mexican cooking, tacos, enchiladas, etc,
but not good for slicing! Que Paso??

Thanks, Mike

RTEXASCWBY

>The meat fell apart and became
>shredded beef, fabulous for mexican cooking, tacos, enchiladas, etc,
>but not good for slicing!

You have cooked the perfect pot roast in a slow cooker :-{ ) If you wish to
slice like a steamboat roast then use the oven and not the slow cooker with
liquid.
RTEXASCWBY

>The meat fell apart and became
>shredded beef, fabulous for mexican cooking, tacos, enchiladas, etc,
>but not good for slicing!

You have cooked the perfect pot roast in a slow cooker :-{ ) If you wish to
slice like a steamboat roast then use the oven and not the slow cooker with
liquid.
RTEXASCWBY

>The meat fell apart and became
>shredded beef, fabulous for mexican cooking, tacos, enchiladas, etc,
>but not good for slicing!

You have cooked the perfect pot roast in a slow cooker :-{ ) If you wish to
slice like a steamboat roast then use the oven and not the slow cooker with
liquid.
Sam D.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
> I bought a Farberware 6 qt oval slow cooker. I put in a 3.5 lb

chuck
> roast and added the prescribed liquid,et al. Instructions in the
> recipe stated (7) hours on HIGH. The meat fell apart and became
> shredded beef, fabulous for mexican cooking, tacos, enchiladas, etc,
> but not good for slicing! Que Paso??

DON'T cook it on high heat. It may not even take less than 7 hours on
low heat to thoroughly cook it but the extra time on low heat won't do
any harm. I've been cooking roasts like that for many years in my
crock pot. I brown the roast first in a cast iron skillet. I think it
improves the flavor but it isn't necessary. Also I like to pre-heat
the crock pot for at least 30 minutes before using it.