Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Default I got a Breadman

WOO!
It wasn't a surprise, my dad has a hard time shopping for me so I had to tell
him exactly what I wanted. It's the Breadman Deluxe Rapid and it kind of looks
like a little roundy rocketship (which prompted me to run around the kitchen
holding it over my head and making rocket noises).

Year and years ago I got a West Bend bread machine and it was a work horse. I
used it all the time. I loved making focaccia dough and cinnamon roll dough in
there. Eventually, after years of faithful service, it died. I went and picked
up and Oster without really researching. I hated that thing so much I ended up
selling it at a garage sale for cheap. It never got all the ingredients from
the edges of the pan so you ended up standing there vigilantly scraping the
sides. Hey, if I wanted to be vigilant about bread making I'd actually make
the bread myself instead of entrusting it to a robot.

I did a lot of research and this machine came highly rated. I won't use the
rapid, 59 minute cycle, everything I read says that your bread has so much
yeast in it that it almost tastes of alcohol.

I cannot wait to make my roasted garlic focaccia bread. YUM!

(I also got other cool things for christmas but they were mostly dinosaur
related and not food related)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

The Bubbo wrote:
> [snip]
> I cannot wait to make my roasted garlic focaccia bread. YUM!

Don't forget using the timer to have warm cinammon raisin bread
finishing when you wake up in the morning.... -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

aem wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I cannot wait to make my roasted garlic focaccia bread. YUM!
>>

> Don't forget using the timer to have warm cinammon raisin bread
> finishing when you wake up in the morning.... -aem

pretty sure I'm gonna do that before I go to bed tonight. Hopefully it is
quieter than my last one, that one was amazingly loud and woke me up and made
crappy bread.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
JeanineAlyse

The Bubbo wrote:
> WOO!
> It wasn't a surprise, my dad has a hard time shopping for me so I had to tell
> him exactly what I wanted. It's the Breadman Deluxe Rapid and it kind of looks
> like a little roundy rocketship (which prompted me to run around the kitchen
> holding it over my head and making rocket noises)....snip-snip wonderful tell.

Heather, I am very interested in having a bread machine for a first.
My arthritic wrists prevent me from enjoying the kneading process, and
I'd love to make Foccacia instead of driving 20 miles to buy it for the
Marines I often make the overnight refrigerated for pesto soak-in,
layered sandwiches they have come to depend on. I'd love to see you
post an update on this machine after your using it, and also the recipe
for your own Foccacia.

PickyInterested

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

JeanineAlyse wrote:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>> WOO!
>> It wasn't a surprise, my dad has a hard time shopping for me so I had to

tell
>> him exactly what I wanted. It's the Breadman Deluxe Rapid and it kind of

looks
>> like a little roundy rocketship (which prompted me to run around the

kitchen
>> holding it over my head and making rocket noises)....snip-snip wonderful

tell.
> Heather, I am very interested in having a bread machine for a first.
> My arthritic wrists prevent me from enjoying the kneading process, and
> I'd love to make Foccacia instead of driving 20 miles to buy it for the
> Marines I often make the overnight refrigerated for pesto soak-in,
> layered sandwiches they have come to depend on. I'd love to see you
> post an update on this machine after your using it, and also the recipe
> for your own Foccacia.
>
> PickyInterested

I love love love the focaccia I make. I'll get a recipe posted once I try it
to make sure this makes a good focaccia. I'll also post the cinnamon roll
dough recipe along with my filling recipe.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:52:18 GMT, The Bubbo >
wrote:

>I'll also post the cinnamon roll
>dough recipe along with my filling recipe.

I'll be watching for that one!

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Sigh, the first loaf was sad sad sad
Of course I don't notice until this morning that my yeast is woefully out of
date! My bread is a hard little lump stuck inside the pan. Sad. I'll get more
yeast today.

Also, I learned that if you have two dogs with the "guard the human at any
cost" genes stuck deep in their marrow, having the bread machine come on
unexpectedly in the wee hours of the morning is a very bad idea. Once I got
them back into bed, one of them sat next to me and grumbled.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

The Bubbo wrote:
> Sigh, the first loaf was sad sad sad
> Of course I don't notice until this morning that my yeast is woefully out of
> date! My bread is a hard little lump stuck inside the pan. Sad. I'll get more
> yeast today.
>
> Also, I learned that if you have two dogs with the "guard the human at any
> cost" genes stuck deep in their marrow, having the bread machine come on
> unexpectedly in the wee hours of the morning is a very bad idea. Once I got
> them back into bed, one of them sat next to me and grumbled.

Isn't there a section in the manual about aclimatizing dogs and cats to
the noise. Perphaps running it a few times with them in the room? My
back door is fairly close to my neighbour's bedroom window. The
deadbolt squeals when I turn it...Their dog has stopped barking about
that noise long since. I would come and go at strange hours...when I
worked nights.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> The Bubbo wrote:
>> Sigh, the first loaf was sad sad sad
>> Of course I don't notice until this morning that my yeast is woefully out

of
>> date! My bread is a hard little lump stuck inside the pan. Sad. I'll get

more
>> yeast today.
>>
>> Also, I learned that if you have two dogs with the "guard the human at any
>> cost" genes stuck deep in their marrow, having the bread machine come on
>> unexpectedly in the wee hours of the morning is a very bad idea. Once I got
>> them back into bed, one of them sat next to me and grumbled.
>>

> Isn't there a section in the manual about aclimatizing dogs and cats to
> the noise. Perphaps running it a few times with them in the room? My
> back door is fairly close to my neighbour's bedroom window. The
> deadbolt squeals when I turn it...Their dog has stopped barking about
> that noise long since. I would come and go at strange hours...when I
> worked nights.

I live in a duplex and my neighbor leaves earlier than David or I get up in
the morning. The dogs went nuts at first but mostly they are okay now. On the
other hand they freak every day when the mailman comes.

Cool thing, though, a solicitor came to the door last night and he got so
freaked out that when I poked my head through the door he just apologized and
left. I figured I'd let him think they were vicious instead of explaining that
they're actually very nice unless they perceive a threat. They just enjoy
barking at strangers.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Graphic Queen wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:34:06 GMT, The Bubbo >
> wrote:
>
>>Sigh, the first loaf was sad sad sad
>>Of course I don't notice until this morning that my yeast is woefully out of
>>date! My bread is a hard little lump stuck inside the pan. Sad. I'll get

more
>>yeast today.

> It can be used as a doorstop. :-)

I scooped out the inside and buttered that and ate it. Not great but not bad
either. The dogs stole the hard outer crusts while I was in the back, they
were in heaven but I had to take them away and admonish them, can't let them
think it's cool to steal stuff off the table. Funny thing is, I probably would
have given them some, but now that they stole it, they get none.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

The Bubbo wrote:
> Graphic Queen wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:34:06 GMT, The Bubbo >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Sigh, the first loaf was sad sad sad
>>>Of course I don't notice until this morning that my yeast is woefully out

of
>>>date! My bread is a hard little lump stuck inside the pan. Sad. I'll get

> more
>>>yeast today.

>> It can be used as a doorstop. :-)

> I scooped out the inside and buttered that and ate it. Not great but not bad
> either. The dogs stole the hard outer crusts while I was in the back, they
> were in heaven but I had to take them away and admonish them, can't let them
> think it's cool to steal stuff off the table. Funny thing is, I probably

would
> have given them some, but now that they stole it, they get none.

I have a round of focaccia baking in the over to gove to my dad tomorrow
morning for taking me to the airport. He can bring it to work and share it
with the other pilots. I also have a loaf of egg bread mixing in the machine.
I hope my dog sitter likes egg bread!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Congrats, Heather! What fun.

I love my bread machine... my favorite recipe is for 'County Line
Bread', a sweet, moist, honey-tasting bread (although there's no honey
in it) that's served at a popular restaurant here in Austin. In fact,
it's probably the only bread I ever make anymore. I love to do the
overnight setting and wake up to the smell wafting through the house.
The only thing is, I have to lock the machine into the laundry room,
because it's so noisy that the thumping wakes up the whole house if I
leave it in the kitchen!

Bread Machine County Line Bread

1 c + 2 T warm water
1/4 c shortening (I use the Smart Balance stuff, which works fine)
3 1/2 c bread flour
1/2 c sugar
1 t salt
1 1/2 t salt

Dump ingredients in in order, then use the light crust setting.
Although it's probably a 1 3/4 lb. loaf, I use the 2 lb. setting, and
it works fine. I also sometimes substitute half wheat flour for the
flour. In fact, I think I'm going to set the machine up tonight...

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Karen MacInerney wrote:
> Congrats, Heather! What fun.
>
> I love my bread machine... my favorite recipe is for 'County Line
> Bread', a sweet, moist, honey-tasting bread (although there's no honey
> in it) that's served at a popular restaurant here in Austin. In fact,
> it's probably the only bread I ever make anymore. I love to do the
> overnight setting and wake up to the smell wafting through the house.
> The only thing is, I have to lock the machine into the laundry room,
> because it's so noisy that the thumping wakes up the whole house if I
> leave it in the kitchen!
>
> Bread Machine County Line Bread
>
> 1 c + 2 T warm water
> 1/4 c shortening (I use the Smart Balance stuff, which works fine)
> 3 1/2 c bread flour
> 1/2 c sugar
> 1 t salt
> 1 1/2 t salt
>
> Dump ingredients in in order, then use the light crust setting.
> Although it's probably a 1 3/4 lb. loaf, I use the 2 lb. setting, and
> it works fine. I also sometimes substitute half wheat flour for the
> flour. In fact, I think I'm going to set the machine up tonight...
>
> Karen MacInerney
> Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
> www.karenmacinerney.com

oooh thanks!
I'll have to make that when I get back from my trip!

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ken Knecht

"Karen MacInerney" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Congrats, Heather! What fun.
>
> I love my bread machine... my favorite recipe is for 'County Line
> Bread', a sweet, moist, honey-tasting bread (although there's no honey
> in it) that's served at a popular restaurant here in Austin. In fact,
> it's probably the only bread I ever make anymore. I love to do the
> overnight setting and wake up to the smell wafting through the house.
> The only thing is, I have to lock the machine into the laundry room,
> because it's so noisy that the thumping wakes up the whole house if I
> leave it in the kitchen!
>
> Bread Machine County Line Bread
>
> 1 c + 2 T warm water
> 1/4 c shortening (I use the Smart Balance stuff, which works fine)
> 3 1/2 c bread flour
> 1/2 c sugar
> 1 t salt
> 1 1/2 t salt
>
> Dump ingredients in in order, then use the light crust setting.
> Although it's probably a 1 3/4 lb. loaf, I use the 2 lb. setting, and
> it works fine. I also sometimes substitute half wheat flour for the
> flour. In fact, I think I'm going to set the machine up tonight...
>
> Karen MacInerney
> Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
> www.karenmacinerney.com

There seems to be an error. I assume the last

1 1/2 t salt is actually yeast?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

Duh.

It's 1 t salt, and 1.5 t yeast.

I need one of those recipe programs, obviously.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Denny Wheeler

On 27 Dec 2005 15:56:51 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
> wrote:

>Duh.
>
>It's 1 t salt, and 1.5 t yeast.
>
>I need one of those recipe programs, obviously.

No, it was just a culinary mystery by you. <g>

>Karen MacInerney
>Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author

--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen MacInerney

>No, it was just a culinary mystery by you. <g>

Now, if only I could get a six-figure advance for it.

Karen MacInerney
Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
www.karenmacinerney.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:23:50 GMT, The Bubbo >
connected the dots and wrote:

~WOO!
~It wasn't a surprise, my dad has a hard time shopping for me so I had
to tell
~him exactly what I wanted. It's the Breadman Deluxe Rapid and it kind
of looks
~like a little roundy rocketship (which prompted me to run around the
kitchen
~holding it over my head and making rocket noises).
~
Me too! I made my first loaf of course by modifying their recipe:
subbed whole wheat for the bread flour in the whole wheat recipe,
added 1/2 cup of flax, and set it to finish when I got up the next
morning.

They said to use 1/4 cup gluten--the loaf came out as soft as wonder
bread. I can't imagine what it would have been like with the bread
flour!

Went into building19 today, and found one copy of the breadman's
healthy bread book. The recipes in the book rely on whey and lecithin
where I didn't notice them in the manual that came with the machine.

maxine in ri