Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ron S

Default Substituting butter for shortening?

It is cookie baking time again! A lot of cookie recipes call for shortening.
But all shortening I am able to find is made from soybean oil or includes
other soy products to which I am allergic. Butter is my only option.

What is the rule for substituting butter in cookies? Is it generally one for
one? Or should I add an extra egg or more flour or more sugar or use less
butter?

Thanks for the help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Ron S wrote:
> It is cookie baking time again! A lot of cookie recipes call for shortening.
> But all shortening I am able to find is made from soybean oil or includes
> other soy products to which I am allergic. Butter is my only option.
>
> What is the rule for substituting butter in cookies? Is it generally one for
> one? Or should I add an extra egg or more flour or more sugar or use less
> butter?

Butter is typically about 10% water, so be generous.... you can never
have too much butter.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ron S

> Butter is typically about 10% water, so be generous.... you can never
> have too much butter.

Well I found out the hard way that using more butter than shortning is a
bad idea. The cookies spread out more than double and were hard and
greasy. I had to throw the whole batch away.

Does anyone know how to do this? Or is this just hopeless?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

Ron S wrote:
> > Butter is typically about 10% water, so be generous.... you can never
> > have too much butter.

> Well I found out the hard way that using more butter than shortning is a
> bad idea. The cookies spread out more than double and were hard and
> greasy. I had to throw the whole batch away.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this? Or is this just hopeless?

How much more butter did you use? A recipe that called for a half cup
of shortening would half the same amount of fat as a half cup of butter
plus 2 approximately tablespoons Try chilling the dough before baking
the cookies. Butter has a lower melting point than shortening and if
you can keep the butter in the dough from melting too soon the cookies
won't spread out as much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

djs0302 wrote:
> Ron S wrote:
>
>>>Butter is typically about 10% water, so be generous.... you can never
>>>have too much butter.

>>Well I found out the hard way that using more butter than shortning is a
>>bad idea. The cookies spread out more than double and were hard and
>>greasy. I had to throw the whole batch away.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to do this? Or is this just hopeless?

> How much more butter did you use? A recipe that called for a half cup
> of shortening would half the same amount of fat as a half cup of butter
> plus 2 approximately tablespoons Try chilling the dough before baking
> the cookies. Butter has a lower melting point than shortening and if
> you can keep the butter in the dough from melting too soon the cookies
> won't spread out as much.

I have had success with things like this by refrigerating the dough
before forming the cookies, right before baking.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

Posted to rec.food.cooking
djs0302

A recipe that called for a half cup of shortening would HAVE the same
amount of fat as a half cup of butter plus approximately 2 tablespoons.