Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shortening vs. butter

On 12/16/2010 2:21 PM, Mr. Bill wrote:
> Interesting reading shortening vs. butter in cookies. Answered
> a few questions.
>

> http://www.finecooking.com/item/2670...ter-in-cookies

As much as I love butter and feel that in general butter
makes everything taste better, there are a few exceptions
to that rule.

With cookies, shortening is better in many cookie recipes.
I like my cookies chewy. I always have made Nestle's Toll
House cookies with all shortening instead of half and half
as in the original recipe. They come out just the way I like
them. I do them this way because that's the way my mother
taught me to make them.

One day I decided to follow the recipe exactly and I was very
disappointed in the cookies - they were crispy, not chewy!
Damn! The moral is that butter makes things like cookies
crispier, shortening makes them chewier, all other things being
equal.

There are some kinds of cookies where I use butter - shortbread
for one, duh! But most of the kinds of cookies I like, I like
because they are, or can be, chewy, not crisp - chocolate
chip, peanut butter, oatmeal, snickerdoodles, ginger cookies,
etc.

I think this applies to cakes also but I have never really
tested it. I have had cakes made with butter, though, and
I find the texture less pleasant that the cakes I make with
shortening. (Most of the cakes I make are from the Betty
Crocker Cookbook and they almost all call for shortening.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 2:33*pm, Kate Connally > wrote:

> I think this applies to cakes also but I have never really
> tested it. *I have had cakes made with butter, though, and
> I find the texture less pleasant that the cakes I make with
> shortening. *(Most of the cakes I make are from the Betty
> Crocker Cookbook and they almost all call for shortening.

Only a damned fool would cook with hydrogenated shortening in 2010.
Eating Betty Crocker stuff is like screwing a crack whore w/o a
condom.

> Kate

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 1:47*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2:33*pm, Kate Connally > wrote:
>

> > I think this applies to cakes also but I have never really
> > tested it. *I have had cakes made with butter, though, and
> > I find the texture less pleasant that the cakes I make with
> > shortening. *(Most of the cakes I make are from the Betty
> > Crocker Cookbook and they almost all call for shortening.

> Only a damned fool would cook with hydrogenated shortening in 2010.
> Eating Betty Crocker stuff is like screwing a crack whore w/o a
> condom.
>
> > Kate

> --Bryan

Sounds like an experienced reply. However...I take it you have screwed
a crack whore with a condom.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 3:54*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 1:47*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Dec 17, 2:33*pm, Kate Connally > wrote:

> > > I think this applies to cakes also but I have never really
> > > tested it. *I have had cakes made with butter, though, and
> > > I find the texture less pleasant that the cakes I make with
> > > shortening. *(Most of the cakes I make are from the Betty
> > > Crocker Cookbook and they almost all call for shortening.

> > Only a damned fool would cook with hydrogenated shortening in 2010.
> > Eating Betty Crocker stuff is like screwing a crack whore w/o a
> > condom.

> > > Kate

> > --Bryan

> Sounds like an experienced reply. However...I take it you have screwed
> a crack whore with a condom.

No, but I know a guy who did. He went off with her somewhere, and the
rest of us figured that they were just going off to do a drug deal,
and later the guy said he had sex with her with two layers of condom.
We were all pretty disgusted because this chick was astoundingly
unattractive, even if she hadn't been a crack whore. I thought of her
as "the flat face British crack whore" because she looked like she had
grown up with a frying pan strapped tightly to her face.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 2:04*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 3:54*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> > > Only a damned fool would cook with hydrogenated shortening in 2010.
> > > Eating Betty Crocker stuff is like screwing a crack whore w/o a
> > > condom.

> > > --Bryan

> > Sounds like an experienced reply. However...I take it you have screwed
> > a crack whore with a condom.

> No, but I know a guy who did. *He went off with her somewhere, and the
> rest of us figured that they were just going off to do a drug deal,
> and later the guy said he had sex with her with two layers of condom.
> We were all pretty disgusted because this chick was astoundingly
> unattractive, even if she hadn't been a crack whore. *I thought of her
> as "the flat face British crack whore" because she looked like she had
> grown up with a frying pan strapped tightly to her face.
>
> --Bryan

Well...maybe she was good with the lights out and maybe he was stoned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 4:13*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2:04*pm, Bryan > wrote:

> > > Sounds like an experienced reply. However...I take it you have screwed
> > > a crack whore with a condom.

> > No, but I know a guy who did. *He went off with her somewhere, and the
> > rest of us figured that they were just going off to do a drug deal,
> > and later the guy said he had sex with her with two layers of condom.
> > We were all pretty disgusted because this chick was astoundingly
> > unattractive, even if she hadn't been a crack whore. *I thought of her
> > as "the flat face British crack whore" because she looked like she had
> > grown up with a frying pan strapped tightly to her face.

> > --Bryan

> Well...maybe she was good with the lights out and maybe he was stoned.

I don't think he was high because he also told us about getting mugged
on the way back. These two guys told him to hand over his money and
he refused, so they told him to give them the pizza he was carrying,
and my buddy ended up martial artsing their asses. We saw a good
alternative country band that night. All completely believable, as
this guy was Mr. Nin-jitsu, and was also known for being rather un-
selective as to the women he'd have sex with.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 8:14*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 4:13*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> alternative country band that night. *All completely believable, as
> this guy was Mr. Nin-jitsu, and was also known for being rather un-
> selective as to the women he'd have sex with.

Good gravy...do you have a SINGLE thing to contribute of value to a
cooking forum?....

I guess not. Pity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 17, 7:17*pm, "Mr. Bill" > wrote:
> On Dec 17, 8:14*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 17, 4:13*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> > alternative country band that night. *All completely believable, as
> > this guy was Mr. Nin-jitsu, and was also known for being rather un-
> > selective as to the women he'd have sex with.

> Good gravy...do you have a SINGLE thing to contribute of value to a
> cooking forum?....
>
> I guess not. *Pity.

You dumb redneck, this is a shortening thread. Cooking with
shortening is right up there with going down on that crack whore.
Backwoods mouth-
breather that you are, I doubt you understand that.

--Bryan