Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default Dinner Tonight & Tomorrow Night

On Sat 12 Nov 2005 01:26:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> I swear I'm so distacted these days my mind wanders. I originally
> posted this in a crime newsgroup I frequent. I'm sure the only meat
> loaf they're interested in over there is one made of human meat
>

> Went digging through the freezer. Came up with a family pack of chicken
> breasts with a May '05 date on them. They are thawing in the fridge.
> I'll marinate them in some oil, soy sauce, garlic, fresh cracked pepper
> and then grill them. I might throw some ginger in the marinade if I can
> find some fresh at the store. I think I'll serve them as sandwiches and
> I'll make some home made chips and a salad to go with. I'm trying to
> find a gunk recipe that a restaurant serves on sandwiches here in St.
> Louis. It's a mayo base with maybe some dry mustard, relish and other
> stuff. I'm not having much luck.
>
> Tonight I'll use the rest of the ground chuck and make a meatloaf
> *sigh*. I'm gonna smooge some olive oil, S&P and whatever spices strike
> my fancy all over some halved new potatoes, turnip chunks, thick slices
> of onion, quartered green and red bell peppers, and whatever else I find
> in the fridge. I'm thinking about slicing up a stalk of celery and
> adding it to the mix just to see what it turns out like. I'll broil
> those... easy eats. I'm tired of salads so I might do a soup tonight.
> Not sure what kind yet. I'm down to about 1/2 gallon of chicken stock in
> the freezer and I am completely out of beef stock. I might just wing the
> soup and do a quickie veggie soup with tomato juice, bouillion cube and
> frozen mixed veggies with spices of my choice.
>
> Dessert tonight will be cranberry smoothies. Tomorrow night will be a
> new experimental ice cream I'm thinking about doing in the ice cream
> maker.
>
> Michael

Yes, it seems like it's time for meatloaf. Nice homey smell and taste for
the Fall.

I just put 36 stuffed cabbage rolls in the electric roaster to simmer in
tomato/sour cream gravy. Will freeze it in portions after we have some for
dinner tonight. Also have a big pot of spaghetti sauce with meatballs
simmering on the stove, to be divided and frozen.

In the past several weeks I've baked and eaten enough pies to feed a small
army...not good for a diabetic, so no more real desserts for a while. I
just made some sugar-free Jell-O with fresh orange segments and a few
chopped fresh mint leaves. That will have to do.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> I just put 36 stuffed cabbage rolls in the electric roaster to simmer in
> tomato/sour cream gravy. Will freeze it in portions after we have some
> for
> dinner tonight. Also have a big pot of spaghetti sauce with meatballs
> simmering on the stove, to be divided and frozen.

Man, it's *all* good ... thanks for reminding me, why I never think
to make stuffed cabbage, I do not know. Love that! Add it to my
list.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Default REC: Stuff Cabbage (was Dinner Tonight & Tomorrow Night)

On Sat 12 Nov 2005 02:46:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> "Nancy Young" > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
>>
>>> I just put 36 stuffed cabbage rolls in the electric roaster to simmer
>>> in tomato/sour cream gravy. Will freeze it in portions after we have
>>> some for dinner tonight. Also have a big pot of spaghetti sauce with
>>> meatballs simmering on the stove, to be divided and frozen.

>> Man, it's *all* good ... thanks for reminding me, why I never think
>> to make stuffed cabbage, I do not know. Love that! Add it to my list.
>>
>> nancy

> I want his recipe.
>
> Michael

Michael, I don't really have a recipe. Learned how to make them watching
the mother of a friend. Since I just made them, however, I can "walk"
through what I do, and that should serve...

1 large green cabbage

1 lb. lean ground meat
1/4 lb. ground pork
1/4 lb. ground veal
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 small or 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon bouquet garni (or herb of your choice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
2 teaspoons Worcesterchire sauce
1 egg, well-beaten

1/2 cup raw white rice, well washed in cold water
1 cup minus 2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 "family size" can tomato soup
1 pint sour cream (you can use fat-free sour cream, if preferred)
1/2 teaspoon bouquet garni (or herb of your choice)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcesterchire sauce

First, cook the rice. Bring water to a boil, stir in rice, cover, then
simmer on low heat 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with fork, place
towel over pot, the cover with lid. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Spread
rice out on a plate to cool and dry a bit.

Combine all ingredients in the meat mixture, mixing gently with 2 forks
(avoid compacting the meat).

Add cold rice to meat mixture and toss with forks to combine, keeping
mixture light.

I use the old-fashioned boiling water method of cooking the cabbage to
loosen the leaves. It really does produce the best results. Freezing or
nuking the cabbage destroys the texture and makes it watery. Have a large
pot of water boiling. Stab the core of the cabbage with a large pot fork
and hold the cabbage under the boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until the
outer couple of leaves loosen. Use a sharp knife to sever the stem end of
the leaf from the core and pull the leaf away with a pair of tongs.
Continue this process until you have a dozen or so large leaves. Coarsely
chop some of the remaining cabbage to place in the bottom of the cooking
pan.

If the stems of the cabbage leaves are especially coarse and inflexible,
carefully remove or thin them down with a sharp knife. Place a leaf on a
cutting board or plate and place approximately 1/3 cup of the meat mixture
at the stem end of the leaf. Begin rolling the leaf, tucking in the sides
to contain the meat. When fully rolled, secure carefully with a toothpick
and set aside. Continue until you run out of filling.

Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients, whisking thoroughly.

Scatter chopped cabbage on bottom of baking dish, roaster, or electric
skillet. Pour a cup of so of the sauce over the cabbage. Arrange stuffed
cabbage leaves over the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over all.

If using the oven, cook covered for 45-60 minutes, then uncover and
continue cooking until the top begins to brown slightly, about 10-15
minutes. I usually turn over each cabbage roll halfway through cooking.

If using an electric skillet, assemble the same way and turn halfway
through cooking, for a total cooking time of 1 hour, 15 minutes.

These freeze well. Should be completely thawed in the refrigerator before
reheating gently.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Nov 2005 04:30:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sat 12 Nov 2005 02:46:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan?
>>
>>> "Nancy Young" > looking for trouble wrote in
>>> :

>>> I want his recipe.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Michael, I don't really have a recipe. Learned how to make them
>> watching the mother of a friend. Since I just made them, however, I
>> can "walk" through what I do, and that should serve...
>>

> <recipe snipped and saved>
>
> Thanks!!! I seldom go by a recipe anyway and this will give me a base. I
> can't find the recipe I have scribbled down. Did you get my email about
> my new cat? I have researced everything and I'm coming up a blank. Do
> you know anything?
>
> Michael

Michael, I have just written you in e-mail. Let me know how things are
going.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Nov 2005 05:00:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
>> On Sat 12 Nov 2005 04:30:10p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
>> "Dog3" Lonergan?
>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
>>> :

divided

>>> <recipe snipped and saved>
>>>
>>> Thanks!!! I seldom go by a recipe anyway and this will give me a base.

>>> can't find the recipe I have scribbled down. Did you get my email about
>>> my new cat? I have researced everything and I'm coming up a blank. Do
>>> you know anything?
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Michael, I have just written you in e-mail. Let me know how things are
>> going.
>>

> Thanks for the email. I've seen the site. It all looks like a wait and
> see thing. Whatever, he's having a blast, living well, and he is

loved.

> That goes for the both of them, Shelly and Ramsey.
>
> Michael

Michael, there's always a chance of a mis-diagnosis, as well as an
individual dog or cat who beats the odds. Let's pray one of these is the
case. It's good that they are showing severe symptoms.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Margaret Suran

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

>>On Sat 12 Nov 2005 02:46:53p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>Michael "Dog3" Lonergan?
>>

>>>"Nancy Young" > looking for trouble wrote in
:

>>>I want his recipe.
>>>
>>>Michael

>>Michael, I don't really have a recipe. Learned how to make them
>>watching the mother of a friend. Since I just made them, however, I
>>can "walk" through what I do, and that should serve...
>>

> <recipe snipped and saved>
>
> Thanks!!! I seldom go by a recipe anyway and this will give me a base. I
> can't find the recipe I have scribbled down. Did you get my email about my
> new cat? I have researced everything and I'm coming up a blank. Do you
> know anything?
>
> Michael

Michael, Another new cat? When and how did you get it and where can
I read all about it? M
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 12 Nov 2005 06:00:44p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michael
"Dog3" Lonergan?

> Margaret Suran > looking for trouble
> wrote in :
>

>> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>>> Wayne Boatwright > looking for trouble wrote
>>> in :

:

>>> <recipe snipped and saved>
>>>
>>> Thanks!!! I seldom go by a recipe anyway and this will give me a
>>> base. I can't find the recipe I have scribbled down. Did you get my
>>> email about my new cat? I have researced everything and I'm coming
>>> up a blank. Do you know anything?
>>>
>>> Michael

>> Michael, Another new cat? When and how did you get it and where can
>> I read all about it? M
>>

> It's Ramsey Margaret, I *THINK* I sent you a pic. If not I'll send
> again. Ramsey got me. He grabbed on and wouldn't let go. Apparently,
> according to the vet, he is a Sealpoint Snowshoe. Like that means
> anything to me
>
> Michael

Michael, you never sent me a picture of Ramsey, either. Could you? He
sounds beautiful.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*