byakee

Default thanks Cuchulain Libby

Somewhere in Cook's Heaven, I'll bet Hound's got a big smile on
his face... :-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
(COLD to HOT for e-mail)
jmcquown

Tara & Guy wrote:
> Hi
> With numerous substitutions (budget) I finally made the REAL BBQ Ribs
> from the RFC book. They rocked. I knew hubby agreed when he didn't
> add any sauce :-)
>
> Thanks Tara

You do realize Cuchulain Libby (Hound) passed away last year? I'm sure he'd
be glad you enjoyed his ribs.

Jill

kalanamak

byakee wrote:

> Somewhere in Cook's Heaven, I'll bet Hound's got a big smile on
> his face... :-)

BTW, what the hell does Cuchulain Libby mean? Every time I saw I thought
of a cross between glass-blowing and a can of peas.
blacksalt
sf

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:56:21 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> You do realize Cuchulain Libby (Hound) passed away last year? I'm sure he'd
> be glad you enjoyed his ribs.

I didn't know - wondered where he was...
thanks for the info.

This is a meaningful obit.

Grismalkin

>On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 11:56:21 -0500, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
>
>> You do realize Cuchulain Libby (Hound) passed away last year? I'm sure

>he'd
>> be glad you enjoyed his ribs.
>>

>I didn't know - wondered where he was...
>thanks for the info.

Am I totally losing it now - I think I have seen some of his postings recently?
Maybe it's aol playing with my head. Maybe it's his wife posting.
>This is a meaningful obit.
>

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Curly Sue

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 11:41:05 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>byakee wrote:
>>
>> Somewhere in Cook's Heaven, I'll bet Hound's got a big smile on
>> his face... :-)
>>

>BTW, what the hell does Cuchulain Libby mean? Every time I saw I thought
>of a cross between glass-blowing and a can of peas.
>blacksalt

Cuchulain was his first name (perhaps Libby was his last name?)..
Irish, apparently rare, from mythology. "Cuchulain the Hound of
Ulster"

Google Groups
message ID# also

Sue(tm)
Mr. Wizard

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> byakee wrote:
> >
> > Somewhere in Cook's Heaven, I'll bet Hound's got a big smile on
> > his face... :-)
> >

> BTW, what the hell does Cuchulain Libby mean? Every time I saw I thought
> of a cross between glass-blowing and a can of peas.
> blacksalt

That was his given name.
He was Scottish and left a widow and several orphans.
Drink less next time.

Tony Lew

"jmcquown" > wrote in message >.. .
> Tara & Guy wrote:
> > Hi
> > With numerous substitutions (budget) I finally made the REAL BBQ Ribs
> > from the RFC book. They rocked. I knew hubby agreed when he didn't
> > add any sauce :-)
> >
> > Thanks Tara

> You do realize Cuchulain Libby (Hound) passed away last year? I'm sure he'd
> be glad you enjoyed his ribs.

Warning: The last sentence must be parsed VERY carefully...

> Jill

kalanamak

Curly Sue wrote:

> Cuchulain was his first name (perhaps Libby was his last name?)..
> Irish, apparently rare, from mythology. "Cuchulain the Hound of
> Ulster"

And how might it be pronounced?

jmcquown

kalanamak wrote:
> byakee wrote:
>>
>> Somewhere in Cook's Heaven, I'll bet Hound's got a big smile on
>> his face... :-)
>>

> BTW, what the hell does Cuchulain Libby mean? Every time I saw I
> thought of a cross between glass-blowing and a can of peas.
> blacksalt

It's a Gaelic name.

Jill

jmcquown

Mr. Wizard wrote:
> "kalanamak" > wrote in message
>> byakee wrote:
>>>
>>> Somewhere in Cook's Heaven, I'll bet Hound's got a big smile on
>>> his face... :-)
>>>

>> BTW, what the hell does Cuchulain Libby mean? Every time I saw I
>> thought of a cross between glass-blowing and a can of peas.
>> blacksalt
>>

> That was his given name.
> He was Scottish and left a widow and several orphans.
> Drink less next time.

Please don't be so judgemental. It was'na drink that killed him, it was a
heart attack out of the blue at age 44.

Jill

Grismalkin

>"The Ranger" posts here (and other cooking groups) with 'Cuhulain'
>as part of his email address. Maybe that's where you keep seeing
>the name. Different guy, though.
>
>-sw

Thanks for the info: I really didn't know what was going on. We had had a few
squabbles in our time but I wish him the best out there.
PENMART01

>> BTW, what the hell does Cuchulain Libby mean? Every time I saw I
>> thought of a cross between glass-blowing and a can of peas.
>> blacksalt

It's a Yiddish term, a transliteration, for a type of living arrangement common
in NY's southern Catskills (borsht belt), where multiple families rent a large
bungalow for the summer season, one with many spearate sleeping quarters but
only one kitchen, whereas a schedual is worked out and agreed upon for each
family to cook for themselves (cuchulain = cook alone)... naturally said
agreements rarely worked out very well... ergo, much bickering and undue
stress... certain particular peoples aren't having a good time unless they
constantly live their lives and make all those around them tumultuous.... many
great recipes emerged, food swapped, as were spouses, much sexual activity
between very young minors, especially amongst siblings... there was no DNA
tests, making it impossble to sort out offspring lineage. Orphanages were rife
with discarded infants, institutions filled to the brim with genuine pinheads,
all discarded like summer puppies. And yoose all thought US southern
hillybillys invented the lifestyle, they merely refined the cuchulain concept -
trailer parks - the double wide! LOL

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Curly Sue

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:53:15 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>
>> Cuchulain was his first name (perhaps Libby was his last name?)..
>> Irish, apparently rare, from mythology. "Cuchulain the Hound of
>> Ulster"
>>

>And how might it be pronounced?

From:
http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin

At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
reasonable guess.

Sue(tm)

jmcquown

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:53:15 -0700, kalanamak >
> wrote:
>
>> Curly Sue wrote:
>>
>>> Cuchulain was his first name (perhaps Libby was his last name?)..
>>> Irish, apparently rare, from mythology. "Cuchulain the Hound of
>>> Ulster"
>>>

>> And how might it be pronounced?

> From:
> http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
> koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin
>
> At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
> Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
> reasonable guess.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

rfc's erstwhile occasionaly poster, Siobhan Perricone, explained to me once
(and I may get this wrong), Siobhan is pronounced as "Cha vhan".

Jill

Curly Sue

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 06:34:42 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:53:15 -0700, kalanamak >
>> wrote:

>>> And how might it be pronounced?

>> From:
>> http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
>> koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin
>>
>> At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
>> Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
>> reasonable guess.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>rfc's erstwhile occasionaly poster, Siobhan Perricone, explained to me once
>(and I may get this wrong), Siobhan is pronounced as "Cha vhan".
>
>Jill

Yes, that's who I had in mind. The other one is the singer Eithne who
changed the spelling of her name so people would pronounce it
correctly (Enya).

Sue(tm)
Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> rfc's erstwhile occasionaly poster, Siobhan Perricone, explained to me once
> (and I may get this wrong), Siobhan is pronounced as "Cha vhan".

I asked her once, too, she said it's Sha VHAN ... since then I've
seen characters on tv who have that name and I never knew that's
what they were saying. It certainly is a pretty name.

nancy
Tara & Guy

Sorry to everyone!
I haven't been here much for two years, and if I am it's just to get a
specific recipe or specific info. So I (obviously) did not know that Hound
passed!
Sorry!
Tara
jmcquown

Tara & Guy wrote:
> Sorry to everyone!
> I haven't been here much for two years, and if I am it's just to get a
> specific recipe or specific info. So I (obviously) did not know that
> Hound passed!
> Sorry!
> Tara

Don't worry about it, Tara. Some of the regulars here didn't realize it,
either. I'm sure wherever Cuchulain is, he's happy as a clam you enjoyed
the ribs!

Jill

Arri London

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:53:15 -0700, kalanamak >
> wrote:
>
> >Curly Sue wrote:
> >
> >> Cuchulain was his first name (perhaps Libby was his last name?)..
> >> Irish, apparently rare, from mythology. "Cuchulain the Hound of
> >> Ulster"
> >>

> >And how might it be pronounced?

> From:
> http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
> koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin
>
> At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
> Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
> reasonable guess.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

But both those names are pronounced according to their *Irish* spelling.
In Ireland I heard Siobhan pronounced 'shi-vawn'.
Curly Sue

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:45:59 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:53:15 -0700, kalanamak >
>> wrote:

>> >And how might it be pronounced?

>> From:
>> http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
>> koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin
>>
>> At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
>> Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
>> reasonable guess.
>>
>> Sue(tm)
>> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>But both those names are pronounced according to their *Irish* spelling.
>In Ireland I heard Siobhan pronounced 'shi-vawn'.

I don't know about Siobhan, but the singer Eithne says that *th* is
silent even in Irish; that's why "Enya" is the phonetic spelling of
her name.

Sue(tm)
Nancy Young

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Why not ask Hound how it's pronounced?

Now, that would be one hell of a parlor trick.

nancy
Arri London

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:45:59 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>

> >Curly Sue wrote:

> >> From:
> >> http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
> >> koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin
> >>
> >> At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
> >> Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
> >> reasonable guess.
> >>
> >> Sue(tm)
> >> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> >But both those names are pronounced according to their *Irish* spelling.
> >In Ireland I heard Siobhan pronounced 'shi-vawn'.

> I don't know about Siobhan, but the singer Eithne says that *th* is
> silent even in Irish; that's why "Enya" is the phonetic spelling of
> her name.
>
> Sue(tm)

That's right. It's silent, but changes the 'shape' of the vowel. The
name means 'kernel'(or nucleus and by extension heart).
Bolivar

Nancy Young wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > Why not ask Hound how it's pronounced?

> Now, that would be one hell of a parlor trick.
>
> nancy

Tell me that you didn't really miss the link that Steve posted, leading
to a post from Hound answering the question. If you did, you know
it's gonna be a loooooooong time before you live it down. lol.

Boli
Mama2EandJ

Would someone be kind enough to post the rib recipe? Much appreciated.

Wayne

ojunk (Mama2EandJ) wrote in
:

> Would someone be kind enough to post the rib recipe? Much appreciated.

This is probably the one you want...

Real Barbecue Spare Ribs
Cuchulain Libby

Texas, USA

Barbecue does not include foil or crockpots and bbq sauce is to be
served at the table. Good barbecue ribs simply do not require and are
not improved by sauce. As for rubs, I submit a recipe to get you started
but salt and pepper work fine and you should find a mixture you like
with salt and pepper as the main ingredients and the rest as flavorings.
Not all of us have nor want a cinder block lined hole in the ground with
a bedspring as the grill or a $1000 steel plate 3-chamber log burner
(what I cook in). Adequate bbq is easily made in a $30 Brinkman H2O
Smoker or a Weber kettle. It cannot be replicated in one's kitchen. Nor
is it a "recipe", it really is a technique. Some define it as poor cuts
of meat that, when subjected to the proper combination of time and
smoke, become sublime. That works for me. As for fuel, a small hot fire
is better than a large smoldering one. The smoke should be wispy and
blue, not billowing clouds and if you see dark smoke, you are choking
it. In order of preference is hardwood logs, hardwood chunks, lump, and
lastly briquettes and chips.

1 rack pork spare ribs, 3 ½ pounds or less, ideally.
1 cup Barbecue Rub
Yellow Mustard (optional)

Barbecue rub:

½ cup Kosher Salt
½ cup fresh ground black pepper
¼ cup brown sugar (optional)
½ cup good Paprika
1/3 cup onion/garlic powder
1/3 cup good chili powder or favorite ground chile powder
1 Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 Tablespoon roasted/ground each of cumin and coriander seeds
1 Tablespoon Coleman's dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne

Method:

Let the ribs come to room temperature and start the fire. Rinse and dry
rack. Trim flap and small end if desired. With the end of a spoon, lift
off part of the membrane, grab with a paper towel and pull off as much
as you can. Slather the ribs with some mustard. Don't fret about the
flavor, it's just the mortar to hold the rub. I use a big spice jar with
the perforated lid as a shaker to apply the rub. If you forego the
mustard, just spoon on the rub and lightly press it into the meat. Both
sides in either case. When the temperature is stabilized in the pit,
about 225* F, place ribs bone side up and cook approximately five hours.

If you use a kettle: Bank the coals to one half with a single layer on
the other half. Put the ribs on the hot side and cook for about ½ hour
turning often then put the ribs on the cool side, place the lid so the
vents are over the ribs and cook about an hour. You may have to add more
coals to the hot side. For fuel, lump is OK, as are chunks. A chimney
starter can be used to pre-burn the coals for adding during a session.

To test for doneness, grab one end and try to fold the ribs in half, if
they fold easily let rest for a few minutes and enjoy.

Hound

************************

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
sf

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:08:43 GMT, hahabogus
> wrote:

> Does anybody else like the Uncle Rat track on the Altan CD Blue
> Idol?...they're a celtic band so it does tie in.

What do you think of the Chieftains?

hahabogus

sf > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:08:43 GMT, hahabogus
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anybody else like the Uncle Rat track on the Altan CD Blue
>> Idol?...they're a celtic band so it does tie in.

> What do you think of the Chieftains?
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

So-So.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Mama2EandJ

:

> [...]

>the perforated lid as a shaker to apply the rub. If you forego the
>mustard, just spoon on the rub and lightly press it into the meat. Both
>sides in either case. When the temperature is stabilized in the pit,
>about 225* F, place ribs bone side up and cook approximately five hours.
>
>If you use a kettle: Bank the coals to one half with a single layer on
>the other half. Put the ribs on the hot side and cook for about ½ hour
>turning often then put the ribs on the cool side, place the lid so the
>vents are over the ribs and cook about an hour. You may have to add more
>coals to the hot side. For fuel, lump is OK, as are chunks. A chimney
>starter can be used to pre-burn the coals for adding during a session.
>
>To test for doneness, grab one end and try to fold the ribs in half, if
>they fold easily let rest for a few minutes and enjoy.

Many thanks! All this talk about those ribs made me think I should give them a
try.

alzelt

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 04:21:39 GMT, (Curly
> Sue) wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:53:15 -0700, kalanamak >
>>wrote:

>>>And how might it be pronounced?

http://www.isle-of-skye.org.uk/celti...ia/celt_c6.htm
>>koo chul-inn or koo hoo lin
>>
>>At least that pronounciation comes close to the spelling. Other
>>Gaelic names: Siobhan or Eithne (Enya) are too far away to make a
>>reasonable guess.

> Why not ask Hound how it's pronounced?
> <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4M_va.1776%24Sc.176196%40twister.austi n.rr.com&output=gplain>
>
> -sw

Would you like the name of a good medium!!!!
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Darkginger

"Arri London" > wrote

> > I don't know about Siobhan, but the singer Eithne says that *th* is
> > silent even in Irish; that's why "Enya" is the phonetic spelling of
> > her name.
> >
> > Sue(tm)
> >

> That's right. It's silent, but changes the 'shape' of the vowel. The
> name means 'kernel'(or nucleus and by extension heart).

Here in Co.Mayo, I've also heard Eithne pronounced 'Etna' and 'Ethna'. Enya
(the singer) comes from Donegal, so local pronounciations up there probably
differ. Mayo people pronounce 'Padraic' and 'Padraig' as 'paw-ric', whereas
Dubliners are more likely to say 'pawd-ric', so there is variation even
within the island of Ireland! Siobhan seems to be universally (within
Ireland) shi-vaughn (as in Vaughn Williams). See also Máire (as in Enya's
older sister, Máire Brennan of Clannad fame), Mairead, Aisling, Emer, Síle,
etc! Then there's Deirdre, (deerdra in Ireland, deerdree in the UK)

Much easier to be called...

....Jo

---

Bolivar

alzelt wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > Why not ask Hound how it's pronounced?
> > <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4M_va.1776%24Sc.176196%40twister.austi n.rr.com&output=gplain>
> >
> > -sw

> Would you like the name of a good medium!!!!
> --
> Alan

hehehe, you get to go stand in the corner with nancy, Alan. And, of
course, as usual, she will provide the TPR.

Boli