Brick

Default Tribute to Cuchulain Libby - 'The Hound'

Tribute to Cuchulain Libby AKA 'Hound'

We marinated a 6# chicken
for three days this year in an exotic citrus brine and then roasted it for
a little over two hours at 350°. I called it done when the fleshy part of the
thigh reached 165°. We cooked it on a vertical bird rack in the convection
oven. It is one of the tenderest, tastiest birds we've ever done. Side dishes
were early peas, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and pecan pie. The
gravy was made from the chicken drippings with a little sherry, flour and
chicken stock. (I take back what I said about two hours not being enough
for a bird this size. I don't know how, but it was damn well falling off the
bone done. This one got a head start from room temp for 20 mins at 425°,
then finished at 350° in a convection oven.)

God Bless you and yours.
--
Howard and Nathalie Bricker

Hound's Citrus Brined Chicken

Prepare the brine:
1 gallon water
1 cup Kosher salt or 1/2 cup table salt
juice of 3 oranges
juice of three limes
juice of three lemons
rinds from same
1 sliced white onion
1 head of garlic, crushed
stems from a bunch of cilantro, chopped
serranos to taste, minimum of 4
rough ground cumin and coriander 2 Tbsp each
1/4 cup chili powder or any ground chile you prefer
(1/4 cup onion powder is optional)
(1/4cup garlic powder is optional)

Place the bird(s) and plenty of brine solution in a ziploc bag(s) and
leave refrigerated overnight prior to cooking. A cooler works fine also.
I use a 5 gal beverage cooler for all but the biggest turkeys. Frozen
soda bottles, or ice can be used to keep the cold. {8 lbs of ice= 1
gallon of water} An hour before cooking take the bird out and
thoroughly wash it down with cold water for at least 30 seconds. You
can place aromatics like garlic heads, apples, citrus in the cavity of
the bird for the cooking. I like also to place orange slices between
skin and meat. Smoke rear end of chicken toward the fire for 45
minutes/lb @ 225°F until the thigh is about 170°F. You can rotate as
necessary to avoid charring. Cooking this way will result in inedible
skin, but juicy chicken. If you like the crispy skin then place the
chicken near the firebox. This works for either chickens or turkeys.
If you eliminate the brine (salt and water) the rest of the recipe makes
an excellent marinade for grilled chicken.

Recipe courtesy of the late Cuchulain Libby (AKA Hound)of San Antonio,TX.
The Hound was (and still is) renowned for his innovative outdoor cooking
style. This citrus brine recipe is just one outgrowth of his inventive mind.
The Hound was taken from us abruptly several years ago at the tender age
of 52. He will be missed, but his recipies and style of cooking will live on.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

TFM®

"Eddie" > wrote

"Brick" >
> wrote:

> >The Hound was taken from us abruptly several years ago at the tender age
> >of 52. He will be missed, but his recipies and style of cooking will live

on.

> You know Brick, I'm pretty sure I have this recipe saved somewhere,
> but I'm gonna save this one just-in-case. Thanks for re-posting it.
> Yeah, I remember the Hound. And yes, 52 is way too young.

Ahem. He was 42 or 44. I was chastizing him on his physical condition in
Micanopy when he picked up his cooker just scant months before he died.

I said, "Boy, you gotta do something other than sit in a chair all day
calling people, drinking whisky and smoking."

He was wheezing on a quarter mile walk to my truck for more beer.

Helluva good guy, but not a fitness model.

Hoisting one to him now,
TFM®

Harry Demidavicius

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:07:14 GMT, "TFM®" >
wrote:

>"Eddie" > wrote
>
>"Brick" >
>> wrote:

>> >The Hound was taken from us abruptly several years ago at the tender age
>> >of 52. He will be missed, but his recipies and style of cooking will live

>on.
>>
>> You know Brick, I'm pretty sure I have this recipe saved somewhere,
>> but I'm gonna save this one just-in-case. Thanks for re-posting it.
>> Yeah, I remember the Hound. And yes, 52 is way too young.

>Ahem. He was 42 or 44. I was chastizing him on his physical condition in
>Micanopy when he picked up his cooker just scant months before he died.
>
>I said, "Boy, you gotta do something other than sit in a chair all day
>calling people, drinking whisky and smoking."
>
>He was wheezing on a quarter mile walk to my truck for more beer.
>
>Helluva good guy, but not a fitness model.
>

>Hoisting one to him now,
>TFM®

No kidding,eh, Alan. didn't he just go on [and on].

Harry
F.G. Whitfurrows

TFM® wrote:

> Hoisting one to him now,
> TFM®

Its funny this should come up at this time. Just the other day my friend
Archie Decenzio III, or whateverthe****hisnameis, emailes me a bunch of Q
recipes he had found on the internet. Included in the group were a couple of
Hound's recipes, a couple of Curry's recipes, *and* a couple of my recipes.
Funny thing was when I asked him if he had noticed that some of the recipes
were mine he said no he had no idea. He had just googled something and up
they came. He saw one for dove, thought it was funny, and sent the page my
way. Turns out it was the Tejas Website. Ain't that a bitch?

I am more honored than I ever reckoned I would be at the time to be included
on a recipe page with both Hound *and* Jack Curry. Funny how things turn
out. In an unfunny sorta way. I hope its not a problem for Tejas that I'm
including a link to the recipes in this post.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/recipes.htm

Happy Oktoberfest to y'all, Jack and Hound!
Beer shot beer shot!

--
The High Honorable Reverend
Fosco Gamgee Wooaaa.... hahaa... Whitfurrows

--Weddings performed for a nominal fee.
--Beer or magic shrooms accepted in lieu of cash payment
ROFL!

Harry Demidavicius

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:28:46 -0700, "F.G. Whitfurrows"
> wrote:

>TFM® wrote:
>>
>> Hoisting one to him now,
>> TFM®

>Its funny this should come up at this time. Just the other day my friend
>Archie Decenzio III, or whateverthe****hisnameis, emailes me a bunch of Q
>recipes he had found on the internet. Included in the group were a couple of
>Hound's recipes, a couple of Curry's recipes, *and* a couple of my recipes.
>Funny thing was when I asked him if he had noticed that some of the recipes
>were mine he said no he had no idea. He had just googled something and up
>they came. He saw one for dove, thought it was funny, and sent the page my
>way. Turns out it was the Tejas Website. Ain't that a bitch?
>
>I am more honored than I ever reckoned I would be at the time to be included
>on a recipe page with both Hound *and* Jack Curry. Funny how things turn
>out. In an unfunny sorta way. I hope its not a problem for Tejas that I'm
>including a link to the recipes in this post.
>

>http://www.tejassmokers.com/recipes.htm
>

>Happy Oktoberfest to y'all, Jack and Hound!
>Beer shot beer shot!

Errrm, Fos. Let's hope you don't hook up with those two boys in the
near foreseeable future.

Harry