Thomas Mooney

Default The Legend of Cuchulain Libby aka "Hound"

<snip>

http://www.irishmythology.com/Irish_...n_&_Red_Branch
> _Page_1.htm

For your single-clicking pleasure I offer this alternative:

http://tinyurl.com/2mmsu

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Thomas Mooney

> > http://tinyurl.com/2mmsu

> How do ya do that? Thanks, TFM3. That's kewl.

1) Go to the site you want.
2) Copy the address to your clipboard (just as you would before pasting it
into the newsgroup.
3) Go to www.tinyurl.com.
4) Paste the address into the provided input area.
5) Press the button - Voila!

Another choice is http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php but I prefer
tinyurl.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Buzz1

"Thomas Mooney" > wrote in message

> > > http://tinyurl.com/2mmsu

> > How do ya do that? Thanks, TFM3. That's kewl.
> >

> 1) Go to the site you want.
> 2) Copy the address to your clipboard (just as you would before pasting it
> into the newsgroup.
> 3) Go to www.tinyurl.com.
> 4) Paste the address into the provided input area.

whne at the tinyurl drag the button onto your toolbar(?) and always have it
with a single click

Buzz

Jack Schidt®

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 03:26:29 -0600, "Thomas Mooney"
> > wrote:
>

> >1) Go to the site you want.
> >2) Copy the address to your clipboard (just as you would before pasting

it
> >into the newsgroup.
> >3) Go to www.tinyurl.com.
> >4) Paste the address into the provided input area.
> >5) Press the button - Voila!
> >
> >Another choice is http://makeashorterlink.com/index.php but I prefer
> >tinyurl.

> There only catch to using these kinds of sites is that when they
> go down (which they do), hundereds of thousands of links stop
> working with no alternate access to the referenced site.
>
> I simpley put the long URL's in <>'s. Most newsreaders (all)
> won't break the URL's when you do this, especially on the
> receiving end.
>
> -sw

I agree, I prefer the bracketing, as it provides some clue as to what the
link is.

Jack - convert

JakBQuik

> wrote in message
>Why did Cuch call himself that?
>
> In your memory Hound:

I only talked to the Hound once on the phone to invite him to come dove
hunting and he explained the derivation of his moniker. Alas, it was a
terrible dove season in central TX and we never connected. As an owner of 3
basset hounds, anyone called The Hound is fine in my book. Also, anyone who
has deep-seated opinions about beers, scotches, coffee and barbeque rates
with me. RIP Mr. Hound.

John in Austin

Karl Mitschke

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:37:12 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> > wrote:
>
> >I agree, I prefer the bracketing, as it provides some clue as to what the
> >link is.

> That's true too. You can tell wheter you're going to download a
> binary file, picture, wave file, etc.. or you can tell if it's a
> questionable site.
>
> I hate when people will send/post in the subject something like
> "Look at this!", and then include only a tinyurl in the body of
> the message. That's a guarentee I won't be looking at the link.
>
> -sw

We specifically block access to any url that uses tinyurl and other services
like that, as there is no way foor our filter to ensure that the shortened
url is not blockled.

So, a tinyurl is a guarantee I won't look at the link, either.

Karl

Reg

Karl Mitschke wrote:

> We specifically block access to any url that uses tinyurl and other services
> like that, as there is no way foor our filter to ensure that the shortened
> url is not blockled.
>
> So, a tinyurl is a guarantee I won't look at the link, either.

I agree. I dislike tinyurl because it shrouds the actual URL.
It's not that much work to cut and paste URLs, either. It's a
solution looking for a problem, IMO.

TFM®

> wrote in message
> One of the joys of drinking is the many places drink takes you. As my
> Google searches took me from one place to another, entering one search

word
> after another, I suddenly struck gold! Why did Cuch call himself that? Why
> did he take the nickname of the Hound (of Ulster, as it turns out)? Here,

> believe, is the answer to that question I've often pondered and discovered
> quite by accident. The second one will take some manipulation to
> re-construct as a single URL, beyond me to post properly, but not beyond
> the ability of the Q family to achieve.

============================

Sorry man, it just ain't so. Cuchulain, not "Cuchlainn" was the "Hound of
Cullen" or something like that.

Yep, I remember it as distinctly as the rest of my foggy memories.
Definitely Hound of Cullen.

Get back to your research and report back when you have rectified this
misinformation.

He *was* damn sure a hound though. A booze hound and a skirt chasin'
hound.

Dawg will hunt,
TFM®

TFM®

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in

> There only catch to using these kinds of sites is that when they
> go down (which they do), hundereds of thousands of links stop
> working with no alternate access to the referenced site.
>
> I simpley put the long URL's in <>'s. Most newsreaders (all)
> won't break the URL's when you do this, especially on the
> receiving end.
>
> -sw

When I was using OE QuoteFix, long links spanning several lines were
clickable. I haven't installed it since my latest Winblows install though.

The Mighty Dr. Gates caught me using unlicensed software (XP Pro while only
hidden with a firewall) and broke my computer from afar.

I have a *router* and a firewall now! I'm impenetrable!

Avast ye matey's. Long live piracy!

TFM®

TFM®

"TFM®" > wrote

> Sorry man, it just ain't so. Cuchulain, not "Cuchlainn" was the "Hound of
> Cullen" or something like that.

======================

Oops, maybe next time I'll do a little research myself.

Sorry,
TFM®

TFM®

http://avalon.gargoyles-fans.org/cas...gic/irish.html

I might add........Cuchulain's sister is named Morgan........Or could it be
Morrigan?

Interesting stuff.

TFM®

Mark Shaw

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

[makeashorterlink and tinyurl]

>There only catch to using these kinds of sites is that when they
>go down (which they do), hundereds of thousands of links stop
>working with no alternate access to the referenced site.

They could also go away entirely at some point in the
future.

>I simpley put the long URL's in <>'s. Most newsreaders (all)
>won't break the URL's when you do this, especially on the
>receiving end.

That's a good idea, but do please provide the short version as
well. That's what I do -- that way, the short one is there for
convenience and the long one is there for possible future archival
needs.

Why? Well, your claim about "all" newsreaders not breaking URLs
is false. Some of us are still using stone knives and bearskins
from the DOS era -- heck, mine has no idea that a URL is anything
at all special anyway.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can
Duwop

************
>> I simpley put the long URL's in <>'s. Most newsreaders (all)
>> won't break the URL's when you do this, especially on the
>> receiving end.

*************

Good tip, and it's easy to remember. And easy to do, especially if people
know to use their <end> and <home> keys for quick navigation.

Dale

F.G. Whitfurrows

"TFM®" > wrote in message
m...

> "TFM®" > wrote
> >
> > Sorry man, it just ain't so. Cuchulain, not "Cuchlainn" was the "Hound

of
> > Cullen" or something like that.

> ======================
>

> Oops, maybe next time I'll do a little research myself.
>
> Sorry,
> TFM®

HUH?
You talkin to yerself, TFM? Or am I missin somethin?
--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

TFM®

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> "TFM®" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "TFM®" > wrote
> > >
> > > Sorry man, it just ain't so. Cuchulain, not "Cuchlainn" was the

"Hound
> of
> > > Cullen" or something like that.

> > ======================
> >

> > Oops, maybe next time I'll do a little research myself.
> >
> > Sorry,
> > TFM®
> >

> HUH?
> You talkin to yerself, TFM? Or am I missin somethin?
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

Reckon you're missin' something. Though I have been known to talk to
myself, this ain't one of them times.

TFM®

F.G. Whitfurrows

"TFM®" > wrote >

> Reckon you're missin' something. Though I have been known to talk to
> myself, this ain't one of them times.
>
> TFM®

Welllllllllllllllll, thanks for splainin' that for me...its all much clearer
now. Was there someone postin in between them 2 posts of yours that maybe I
have on my kill file or were ya just correctin yerself.

Please forgive this ol drunk Hobbit, man, I just don't get it.

And did ya eber get ya a special beer for Christmas like ya said ya might?

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

F.G. Whitfurrows

> wrote in message
> "F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote:
> > "TFM®" > wrote >
> > >
> > > Reckon you're missin' something. Though I have been known to talk to
> > > myself, this ain't one of them times.
> > >
> > > TFM®
> > >

> > Welllllllllllllllll, thanks for splainin' that for me...its all much
> > clearer now. Was there someone postin in between them 2 posts of yours
> > that maybe I have on my kill file or were ya just correctin yerself.
> >
> > Please forgive this ol drunk Hobbit, man, I just don't get it.
> >
> > And did ya eber get ya a special beer for Christmas like ya said ya
> > might?

> Get off yer high horse, Fuzzy Foot. Yeah. You apparently missed MY post
> about the Legend of Cuchulain Libby aka Hound. TFM (almost correctly) took
> issue with one of my statements, subsequently corrected himself. I had to
> look everything up. He was working from memory, which impressed the Hell
> out of me.

Dude, I ain't on no ****in high horse. I'm a goddamned hobbit and hobdits
rides ponies, remember?

I did not miss your post about the legend of CL, It just seemed like I
missed a post between TFM corectin' you and TFM correctin' himself. But now
that I know it was just TFM correctin' himself, and not TFM admitting to
someone else that he was wrong after that someone else had corrected the
afore mentioned TFM, it all makes perfect sense to me you drunk bacardi and
coke lovin son of a bitch. Now I'm gonna go drink me another 10+% beer and a
shot of Old Forester and contemplate addin you to my killfile so's I can
just avoid all this goddamned confusion in the future.

<BG>

I aint sayin your damned pennances, *******!:>)

--
Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" boner

Mark Shaw

Duwop > wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:

Please watch your attributions. I wrote nothing in the
portion of the article you quoted.

--
Mark Shaw anti-spam: change 'bang' to 'not' to email me
"This time I think the Americans are serious. Bush is not like Clinton.
Spud

> I have a *router* and a firewall now! I'm impenetrable!

My ex-ol-lady was like that too!

I hope that firewall ain't the piece of shit from McAfee. I just sent in
the CD to Zone Alarm for the upgrade rebate. If you're using Zone Alarm,
don't let any program send out, expecially to microsoft.com. I installed
Zone Alarm and found that my UPS software (yea, my uninterruptable power
supply) was trying to send out data. Amazing.

Hey also, if you haven't done it before, get a freeware copy of Ad-aware
and run it. There's spyware hidden everywhere.

Spud

Harry Demidavicius

On 16 Jan 2004 06:06:52 GMT, wrote:

>Sorry. xpost test.
>
>BBQ & booze!

It's his time or the month or sumpin', Nick. Look forward to another
20-30 BOTD posts tomorrow, eh . .. :0)

Harry

TFM®

"F.G. Whitfurrows" > wrote in message

> "TFM®" > wrote >
> >
> > Reckon you're missin' something. Though I have been known to talk to
> > myself, this ain't one of them times.
> >
> > TFM®
> >

> Welllllllllllllllll, thanks for splainin' that for me...its all much

clearer
> now. Was there someone postin in between them 2 posts of yours that maybe

> have on my kill file or were ya just correctin yerself.
>
> Please forgive this ol drunk Hobbit, man, I just don't get it.
>
> And did ya eber get ya a special beer for Christmas like ya said ya might?
>
> --
> Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
> and his 6" boner

Ya mon! I got that *huge* Bitburger. That was pretty special.

TFM®

Harry in Iowa

"Spud" > held forth in
:

>> I have a *router* and a firewall now! I'm impenetrable!
>>

> My ex-ol-lady was like that too!
>>

> I hope that firewall ain't the piece of shit from McAfee. I just sent
> in the CD to Zone Alarm for the upgrade rebate. If you're using Zone
> Alarm, don't let any program send out, expecially to microsoft.com. I
> installed Zone Alarm and found that my UPS software (yea, my
> uninterruptable power supply) was trying to send out data. Amazing.
>
> Hey also, if you haven't done it before, get a freeware copy of
> Ad-aware and run it. There's spyware hidden everywhere.
>
> Spud

I like zone alarm, it tells you what is trying to send out. I use spybot
instead of ad-aware, it caught more spyware.

--
Harry in Iowa

"Land of mystery 'cause nobody really lives there"
M&M Man

Spybot it good. The only 'small' downside is that
it encourages you to erase some benebicial cookies.
They are evident though and easy to restore the first
time you visit the desired site. My first experience
was when I tried to sign on to my bank account. I
simply had to re-enter my ID and PSW. Big deal.
Spybot shitcanned about a hundred unwanted sites.

M&M
Tyler Hopper

"TFM®" > wrote in message
m...

> http://avalon.gargoyles-fans.org/cas...gic/irish.html
>
> I might add........Cuchulain's sister is named Morgan........Or could it be
> Morrigan?
>
> Interesting stuff.
>
> TFM®

Morgan is her name.

_________
ht_redneck

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM® View Post
[...]

Hi. Morgan Here. Cuchulain's sister. I will clear up the confusion his name for. Yes he chose "The Hound" as a reference to the mythology surrounding his name. He simply found it it too difficult for most people to remember or pronounce. The issue of the Hound of Cullen and The Hound of Ulster is redundant. They are one in the same. The house of Cullen was the King of Ulster
The story is summarized below:
He gained his better-known name as a child after he killed Culann's fierce guard-dog in self-defence, and offered to take its place until a replacement could be reared. At the age of seventeen he defended Ulster single-handedly against the armies of queen Medb of Connacht in the epic Táin Bó Cúailnge ("Cattle Raid of Cooley"). It was prophesied that his great deeds would give him everlasting fame, but that his life would be a short one. This is the reason why he is compared to the Greek hero Achilles. He is known for his terrifying battle frenzy or ríastrad (similar to a berserker's frenzy, though sometimes called a "warp spasm" because of the physical changes that take place in the warrior), in which he becomes an unrecognisable monster who knows neither friend nor foe. He fights from his chariot, driven by his loyal charioteer Láeg, and drawn by his horses, Liath Macha and Dub Sainglend. In more modern times, Cú Chulainn is often referred to as the "Hound of Ulster".

All other references to him being a booze hound and skirt chaser would be accurate. As would his love of all of you on this site.