Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Construction/hardware tools for cooking?

The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)

What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?

For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
something metal might not be more efficient.

A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:04:09 -0600:

> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen
> tools?

> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's
> mainly for cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch
> has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that
> singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in
> burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or
> maybe a small trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber
> spatula but I'm wondering if something metal might not be more
> efficient.

> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

A rubber mallet can be used for flattening schnitzels as well as for its
normal purposes. I certainly use mine. Of course, the meat would be
covered by wax paper or plastic.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>
> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

My Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 torch (with MAPP) is equally at home in my
kitchen or shop.

I got an IR thermometer for the shop, but it quickly got dedicated to
the kitchen and I bought another for the shop.

I hear the plastic notched adhesive spreaders used for flooring adhesive
are good in the kitchen for frosting use. I imaging the plastic putty
knives in various widths would be as well.

I once used a big 6" C clamp to crack a particularly large lobster claw.

I decided to try cheese making once, so I went out to the shop and in
about 30 min fabricated a pneumatic cheese press. I ran 150' of air hose
into the house from the detached shop to power it.

I'm sure there is some culinary use for the 20 ton press out in the
shop.

While not the most common shop item, my liquid nitrogen dewar and it's
contents get more use in the kitchen than in the shop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:04:09 -0600:
>
> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen
> > tools?

> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's
> > mainly for cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch
> > has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that
> > singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in
> > burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or
> > maybe a small trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber
> > spatula but I'm wondering if something metal might not be more
> > efficient.

> > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

> A rubber mallet can be used for flattening schnitzels as well as for its
> normal purposes. I certainly use mine. Of course, the meat would be
> covered by wax paper or plastic.

When I pound meat, I cover it with plastic wrap anyway, or put it in a
storage bag. Less messy.

I like the idea of a rubber mallet. I have a tenderizer mallet with one
side smooth and flat that I currently use.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> >
> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >
> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
> >
> > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> > trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> > something metal might not be more efficient.
> >
> > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

> My Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 torch (with MAPP) is equally at home in my
> kitchen or shop.

Agreed.

> I got an IR thermometer for the shop, but it quickly got dedicated to
> the kitchen and I bought another for the shop.

Hm. I'll have to look at that.

> I hear the plastic notched adhesive spreaders used for flooring adhesive
> are good in the kitchen for frosting use. I imaging the plastic putty
> knives in various widths would be as well.
>
> I once used a big 6" C clamp to crack a particularly large lobster claw.

<lol> That was funny!

> I decided to try cheese making once, so I went out to the shop and in
> about 30 min fabricated a pneumatic cheese press. I ran 150' of air hose
> into the house from the detached shop to power it.
>
> I'm sure there is some culinary use for the 20 ton press out in the
> shop.

Ooh I like that! Power tools for the kitchen. <g>

> While not the most common shop item, my liquid nitrogen dewar and it's
> contents get more use in the kitchen than in the shop.

I can imagine......
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>
> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
> --
> Peace! Om
>
> "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity
> cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, and
other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a bait
of use.

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete wrote on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:17:40 -0600:

> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>>
>> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to
>> kitchen tools?
>>
>> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's
>> mainly for cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch
>> has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing
>> that singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in
>> burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>>
>> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or
>> maybe a small trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber
>> spatula but I'm wondering if something metal might not be
>> more efficient.
>>
>> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

> My Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 torch (with MAPP) is equally at home
> in my kitchen or shop.

I use mine in the workshop and also when broiling tomatoes, peppers or
egg plants. Since my broiler is electric, I give the vegs a good
singeing with the torch before removing the skins to get the desired
charred taste. This has caused a little interest from passers-by since
the most convenient place is the doorstep :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Theron" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> >
> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >
> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
> >
> > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> > trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> > something metal might not be more efficient.
> >
> > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
> >

> You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, and
> other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a bait
> of use.
>
> Theron

I agree about the pliers. <g> But for stubborn lids, I keep a latex
tourniquet on hand.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> > My Bernz-o-Matic TS4000 torch (with MAPP) is equally at home
> > in my kitchen or shop.

> I use mine in the workshop and also when broiling tomatoes, peppers or
> egg plants. Since my broiler is electric, I give the vegs a good
> singeing with the torch before removing the skins to get the desired
> charred taste. This has caused a little interest from passers-by since
> the most convenient place is the doorstep :-)

<snicker> They ARE handy for peeling peppers.
And the fumes disperse better outdoors!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 1:48�pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>
> news >
>

> > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)

> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?

> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> > trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> > something metal might not be more efficient.

> > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> > "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity
> > cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

> You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, �and
> other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a bait
> of use.

Slip joint pliers make great nut crackers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Dec 14, 1:48?pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> >
> > news > >
> >

> > > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)

> > > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?

> > > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> > > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> > > trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> > > something metal might not be more efficient.

> > > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?
> > > --
> > > Peace! Om

> > > "Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity
> > > cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

> > You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, ?and
> > other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a bait
> > of use.

> Slip joint pliers make great nut crackers.

Goody.

Can I use them on yours?
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>
> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

A "heat gun" (looks like a hair dryer, but operates at >900°) is great
for browning things cooked in a covered roaster that come out a little pale.

Putty knife is good for scraping up small spills and splatters.

Maybe a bolt cutter for chopping up poultry drumstick and thigh bones
for soup? (haven't tried that one yet)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> >
> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >
> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
> >
> > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> > trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> > something metal might not be more efficient.
> >
> > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

> A "heat gun" (looks like a hair dryer, but operates at >900°) is great
> for browning things cooked in a covered roaster that come out a little pale.

Really! Never thought about that.
Might be a good solution to soft, non-crispy results from using the
table top roaster. Thanks. It tends to braise things.

> Putty knife is good for scraping up small spills and splatters.
>
> Maybe a bolt cutter for chopping up poultry drumstick and thigh bones
> for soup? (haven't tried that one yet)
>
> Bob

<lol> I like that concept!
Who needs poultry shears? <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > On Dec 14, 1:48?pm, "Theron" > wrote:
> > > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > news > > >

> > > You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, ?and
> > > other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a bait
> > > of use.

> > Slip joint pliers make great nut crackers.

> Goody.
>
> Can I use them on yours?

A small arbor press works well also. I have a little 1T arbor press that
works well on pecans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >
> > In article
> > >,
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> > > Slip joint pliers make great nut crackers.

> > Goody.
> >
> > Can I use them on yours?

> A small arbor press works well also. I have a little 1T arbor press that
> works well on pecans.

BDSM tools. Sheldon should like that.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Omelet wrote:
>> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>>
>> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>>
>> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
>> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
>> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
>> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

It's spelled singeing, actually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"dejablues" > wrote:

> > Omelet wrote:
> >> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> >>
> >> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >>
> >> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> >> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> >> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> >> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> It's spelled singeing, actually.

Ok, thanks. I czeched the speeling via google and that was what I got.
;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> The torch has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that
> singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in burning
> pinfeathers off. <g>)

I'm not gonna look in every dictionary I can find, but The American
Heritage Dictionary isn't aware of this.

"singed, singeing, singes"

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
>
> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

I use a rubber mallet to help cut into hard vegetables (big rutabagas and
hard-skinned squashes in particular).

Needle-nosed pliers are good for removing the pin bones from salmon.

A hatchet can do double duty as a cleaver. Of course, if you have a spare
food-grade BANDSAW around, who needs a cleaver? :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

(Shhhhh! Not so loud! My dictionary says it is "singeing".)

:-(

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > The torch has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that
> > singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in burning
> > pinfeathers off. <g>)

> I'm not gonna look in every dictionary I can find, but The American
> Heritage Dictionary isn't aware of this.
>
> "singed, singeing, singes"

Ok, I DID google it before posting. :-)

Seems some spelling rules do not apply.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >
> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)
> >
> > I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> > trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> > something metal might not be more efficient.
> >
> > A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

> I use a rubber mallet to help cut into hard vegetables (big rutabagas and
> hard-skinned squashes in particular).

It's easier on the back of the knife than a hammer. <g>

> Needle-nosed pliers are good for removing the pin bones from salmon.

OH yes! I use fishing plyers.

> A hatchet can do double duty as a cleaver. Of course, if you have a spare
> food-grade BANDSAW around, who needs a cleaver? :-)
>

> Bob

Reciprocating saw. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> >
> > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >
> > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> (Shhhhh! Not so loud! My dictionary says it is "singeing".)
>
> :-(

Damnit! I googled it before posting too to make sure I got it right. :-(
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:01:23 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article .net>,
> Blinky the Shark > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> > The torch has been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that
>> > singing as in song is spelled the same as singing as in burning
>> > pinfeathers off. <g>)

>> I'm not gonna look in every dictionary I can find, but The American
>> Heritage Dictionary isn't aware of this.
>>
>> "singed, singeing, singes"

>Ok, I DID google it before posting. :-)
>
>Seems some spelling rules do not apply.

If you have Firefox, install m-w into the search engine box in the
upper right hand corner. It's spelled singeing. Believe it or not!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/singeing

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:01:23 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article .net>,
> > Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> >> I'm not gonna look in every dictionary I can find, but The American
> >> Heritage Dictionary isn't aware of this.
> >>
> >> "singed, singeing, singes"

> >Ok, I DID google it before posting. :-)
> >
> >Seems some spelling rules do not apply.

> If you have Firefox, install m-w into the search engine box in the
> upper right hand corner. It's spelled singeing. Believe it or not!
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/singeing

I'm always willing to admit to spelling errors.
I consider myself corrected. <g>
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> Om wrote:
>>
>>> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen
>>> tools?
>>>
>>> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's
>>> mainly for cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has
>>> been used for glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing
>>> as in song is spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers
>>> off. <g>)
>>>
>>> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a
>>> small trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm
>>> wondering if something metal might not be more efficient.
>>>
>>> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

>> I use a rubber mallet to help cut into hard vegetables (big
>> rutabagas and hard-skinned squashes in particular).

> It's easier on the back of the knife than a hammer. <g>
>

>> Needle-nosed pliers are good for removing the pin bones from salmon.

> OH yes! I use fishing plyers.

I don't fish but I'd forgotten that use for needle-nosed pliers, not
that I keep a special pair. Tweezers, even the large ones I use for
electronic work, don't gripfirmly enough.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> >> Needle-nosed pliers are good for removing the pin bones from salmon.

> > OH yes! I use fishing plyers.
> >

> I don't fish but I'd forgotten that use for needle-nosed pliers, not
> that I keep a special pair. Tweezers, even the large ones I use for
> electronic work, don't gripfirmly enough.

Hemostats work too... The ones with teeth.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:56:53 -0600:

> >> OH yes! I use fishing plyers.
> >>

>> I don't fish but I'd forgotten that use for needle-nosed
>> pliers, not that I keep a special pair. Tweezers, even the
>> large ones I use for electronic work, don't gripfirmly
>> enough.

> Hemostats work too... The ones with teeth.

Yes, I've tried hemostats since I use them for electronics too but they
only seem to work if there is enough of the pin bone to grip.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:48:29 -0800, Theron wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>>
>> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>>

> You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, and
> other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a bait
> of use.
>
> Theron

i get a lot of use from my pliers in the kitchen. bottle tops and
sometimes turning metal skewers on an electric grill.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> >> I don't fish but I'd forgotten that use for needle-nosed
> >> pliers, not that I keep a special pair. Tweezers, even the
> >> large ones I use for electronic work, don't gripfirmly
> >> enough.

> > Hemostats work too... The ones with teeth.

> Yes, I've tried hemostats since I use them for electronics too but they
> only seem to work if there is enough of the pin bone to grip.

True. You may have to dig into the meat.

If it's cooked, I just use my fingernails.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:48:29 -0800, Theron wrote:
>
> > "Omelet" > wrote in message
> > news
> >> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> >>
> >> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> >>

> > You have to have a kitchen pliers to get feisty champagne corks off, and
> > other whatever. I'd be dead without it. My kitchen hacksaw gets quite a
> > bait
> > of use.
> >
> > Theron

> i get a lot of use from my pliers in the kitchen. bottle tops and
> sometimes turning metal skewers on an electric grill.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Huh. I use tongs for turning skewers...
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use small hemostats for salmon pin bones and pliers for stubborn jars.
I also use small paint brushes for basting, learned from the Fruge and
Martha Stewart.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?

Large rubber mallet for cracking open young coconuts
after the coconut water has been drained out.
I usually only do that in the summer, when making
my pineapple juice/coconut/white wine concoction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Omelet > wrote:
> >
> > > The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
> > >
> > > What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
> > >
> > > For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> > > cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> > > glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> > > spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

> > (Shhhhh! Not so loud! My dictionary says it is "singeing".)
> >
> > :-(

> Damnit! I googled it before posting too to make sure I got it right. :-(

The Mac has a dictionary included. I put it on my toolbar (what Apple
calls a dock, I think). Also, in every application I've seen, go to the
main menu item (the name of that application), and select Services and
then Speech, and it will pronounce words for you.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 15, 1:39�pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article >,
> �"James Silverton" > wrote:

> > > Hemostats work too... The ones with teeth.

> > Yes, I've tried hemostats since I use them for electronics too but they
> > only seem to work if there is enough of the pin bone to grip.

> True. �You may have to dig into the meat.
>
> If it's cooked, I just use my fingernails.

Sure, but not everyone is blessed with emu talons.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Dan Abel > wrote:

> > > (Shhhhh! Not so loud! My dictionary says it is "singeing".)
> > >
> > > :-(

> > Damnit! I googled it before posting too to make sure I got it right. :-(

> The Mac has a dictionary included. I put it on my toolbar (what Apple
> calls a dock, I think). Also, in every application I've seen, go to the
> main menu item (the name of that application), and select Services and
> then Speech, and it will pronounce words for you.

I'll czech that out, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Dec 15, 1:39?pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > ?"James Silverton" > wrote:

> > > Yes, I've tried hemostats since I use them for electronics too but they
> > > only seem to work if there is enough of the pin bone to grip.

> > True. You may have to dig into the meat.
> >
> > If it's cooked, I just use my fingernails.

> Sure, but not everyone is blessed with emu talons.

Don't bite your fingernails.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:30:41 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:01:23 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article .net>,
>> Blinky the Shark > wrote:

>>> I'm not gonna look in every dictionary I can find, but The American
>>> Heritage Dictionary isn't aware of this.
>>>
>>> "singed, singeing, singes"

>>Ok, I DID google it before posting. :-)
>>
>>Seems some spelling rules do not apply.

> If you have Firefox, install m-w into the search engine box in the
> upper right hand corner. It's spelled singeing. Believe it or not!
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/singeing

not my favorite dictionary, but it's handy in the search engine drop-down.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> The thread on tamales inspired this subject. :-)
>
> What "hardware" tools would you consider converting to kitchen tools?
>
> For me, I already have a dedicated hacksaw for cooking, (it's mainly for
> cutting bones) along with a blow torch. The torch has been used for
> glazing and singing. (I find it amusing that singing as in song is
> spelled the same as singing as in burning pinfeathers off. <g>)

I often use my propane torch to caramelize sugar ofor things like creme
brulee. I have used a hammer in an attempt to crack macadamea nuts. I
have used pliers to rip connective tissue off spare ribs. I have also
used pliers to crack lobster. Microplane graters were originally
intended for autobody work.

BTW... you might find that your saw works better if you use the
appropriate blade for it. Bow saws have many different applications. You
use the same bow saw frame with different blades. There are different
hacksaw blades for different types and hardness of metal and some
designed specifically for bone.

> I'm considering a drywall/spackling tool for spreading, or maybe a small
> trowel. At the moment, I use a good rubber spatula but I'm wondering if
> something metal might not be more efficient.
>
> A hardware store might be fertile ground for kitchen gadgets?

They have god stuff for surgeons too. A friend of mine had a summer job
working in the store room of a hospital and was surprised one day when a
neurosurgeon ordered a Black & Decker drill.