Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

Default REC: Chicken and dumplings (was Easy Soul Food recipes needed please ....)

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sun 30 Oct 2005 01:00:33a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

> (snip)
>> > Oh I do agree. I make mine with SR flour, shredded suet, salt and
>> > water. I often put herbs in too. They take seconds to mix and
>> > enhance
>> > a stew like nothing else can

> Oh, duh!! SR = Self Rising! Forget my request about that, Ophelia!

ahh ok.. too late)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chuck

Default Southern cooking (was Easy Soul Food recipes needed please) ....

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:46:35 -0500, Rodney Myrvaagnes
> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:52:32 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:
>

>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

>>> Funny isn't it?
>>> One large country, "America" and a hundred or more different traditional
>>> cooking styles.
>>>
>>> Ain't it grand? :-)
>>> --

>Absolutely
>>
>>One of the things I've always really enjoyed is going on vacation and
>>finding local diners to try the local fare. There's such a wide variety in
>>this country from one area to another. And so far all of it good!!
>>

>You have led a sheltered life, sorry to say. It is worth trying new
>things wherever you go, but don't expect it all to be good.
>

>Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a
>

>Kansas--working to become a science-free zone

Also.. have an open mind.. Female of mine from years ago.. We would
travel.. She was otherwise very smart.. But when it come to foods, she
expected everything to taste "the way her mom made it"...If it was
slightly different it was bad to her taste buds..
..... but the last time I saw her she was still a size 5 at age 40..
Chuck
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 01:16:22a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Oh I do agree. I make mine with SR flour, shredded suet, salt and
>>> water. I often put herbs in too. They take seconds to mix and
>>> enhance a stew like nothing else can

>> You must tell me the proportions, O. I have SR flour, and just got
>> fresh suet from the butcher for my cakes, but I can spare some for
>> dumplings. :-)

> For 2 of us I use 3oz suet, 6oz SR flour, pinch of salt and water to mix
> to soft dough. I put them on top of the simmering stew (already cooked)
> and then into a hot oven for about 20-30 mins till nicely brown

Thank you so much!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 01:43:46a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >,
> "Ms Leebee" > wrote:
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> > http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

>> > Meet Mr. Bailey

>> cute cat
>>

> But he looks annoyed for some reason? :-)
> Big eye pupils are the key.

No, I had just awakened him and the room was dark.

You couldn't find a more laid back cat than Mr. Bailey.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> You must tell me the proportions, O. I have SR flour, and just got
>>> fresh suet from the butcher for my cakes, but I can spare some for
>>> dumplings. :-)

>> For 2 of us I use 3oz suet, 6oz SR flour, pinch of salt and water to
>> mix
>> to soft dough. I put them on top of the simmering stew (already
>> cooked)
>> and then into a hot oven for about 20-30 mins till nicely brown

> Thank you so much!

I hope you enjoy. Let me know if you get round to making them. Btw
they are nice with herbs mixed in

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sun 30 Oct 2005 01:43:46a, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Ms Leebee" > wrote:
> >
> >> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> cute cat
> >>

> > But he looks annoyed for some reason? :-)
> > Big eye pupils are the key.

> No, I had just awakened him and the room was dark.
>
> You couldn't find a more laid back cat than Mr. Bailey.

Heh! Even the most laid back cats IME can get annoyed...
but they just stalk off with a flick of the ear and tail to let you know.

Cats body language is SO expressive! ;-D
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 30 Oct 2005 12:57:30p, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> For 2 of us I use 3oz suet, 6oz SR flour, pinch of salt and water to
>>> mix to soft dough. I put them on top of the simmering stew (already
>>> cooked) and then into a hot oven for about 20-30 mins till nicely
>>> brown

>> Thank you so much!

> I hope you enjoy. Let me know if you get round to making them. Btw
> they are nice with herbs mixed in

We're due for a good stew, and I think it will be next weekend. I'll
report back.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Kathy in NZ wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:05:54 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:

>>>That sounds good!
>>>Mom would occasionally just used the canned biscuits from the store.
>>>Cut each circle in 1/4's and roll them into balls.
>>>--
>>>Om.
>>>
>>>"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
>>>Nicholson

>> Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
>> canned biscuits or bisquick.
>>
>> Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
>> And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America, and
>> like it that way
>>

> Kathy, good question. I don't use the canned biscuits but take the short
> cut of bisquick sometimes and other times use a scratch recipe. There is a
> copycat recipe for bisquick on the web that you can make up to keep on
> hand. I think it is called multi-baking mix. Here's my dumpling recipe.
>
> Dumplings
>
> 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
> 2 tsp baking powder
> 3/4 tsp salt
> 3 tbsp shortening
> 3/4 c milk
>
> Measure dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in shorting until mixture looks
> like meal. Stir in milk. (note - batter will be lumpy)
>
> Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot meat or vegetables. The recipe says not
> to drop directly into the liquid but I do because that's the way we like
> dumplings. Cook uncovered 10 min. Cover & cook about 10 min longer or
> until dumplings are fluffy.

I made my own chicken and dumplings tonight. We had roast chicken last
night so this morning I stripped it and threw some onion, green onion,
celery and leaves, carrot in a pot and sauted them. I added the carcasse
and some garlic and water and simmerd a couple of hours.

Strained the stock. Saute'd more onion, shallot, celery and carrots. Added
the stock and leftover gravy from last night and some barley.

When the barley was cooked I added potatoes and frozen mixed veg and
simmered till mixed veg was cooked. Mixed up some of my own biscuit mix
with egg and milk and dropped dumplings on top and simmered for 30 minutes.

Yum!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article <1130717608.befac64efaf5117e04ef8f9b962230e6@teran ews>,
"MoM" > wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
> > Kathy in NZ wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:05:54 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet

> >> Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
> >> canned biscuits or bisquick.
> >>
> >> Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
> >> And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America, and
> >> like it that way
> >>

> > Kathy, good question. I don't use the canned biscuits but take the short
> > cut of bisquick sometimes and other times use a scratch recipe. There is a
> > copycat recipe for bisquick on the web that you can make up to keep on
> > hand. I think it is called multi-baking mix. Here's my dumpling recipe.
> >
> > Dumplings
> >
> > 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
> > 2 tsp baking powder
> > 3/4 tsp salt
> > 3 tbsp shortening
> > 3/4 c milk
> >
> > Measure dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in shorting until mixture looks
> > like meal. Stir in milk. (note - batter will be lumpy)
> >
> > Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot meat or vegetables. The recipe says not
> > to drop directly into the liquid but I do because that's the way we like
> > dumplings. Cook uncovered 10 min. Cover & cook about 10 min longer or
> > until dumplings are fluffy.

> I made my own chicken and dumplings tonight. We had roast chicken last
> night so this morning I stripped it and threw some onion, green onion,
> celery and leaves, carrot in a pot and sauted them. I added the carcasse
> and some garlic and water and simmerd a couple of hours.
>
> Strained the stock. Saute'd more onion, shallot, celery and carrots. Added
> the stock and leftover gravy from last night and some barley.
>
> When the barley was cooked I added potatoes and frozen mixed veg and
> simmered till mixed veg was cooked. Mixed up some of my own biscuit mix
> with egg and milk and dropped dumplings on top and simmered for 30 minutes.
>
> Yum!
>
> MoM

Sounds yummy!
Barley is always a good additive to soups.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ms. tonya

Default Easy Soul Food recipes needed please ....

http://www.foxhome.com/soulfood/htmls/soulfood.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ms_peacock

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:52:32 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> > wrote:

>>One of the things I've always really enjoyed is going on vacation and
>>finding local diners to try the local fare. There's such a wide variety
>>in
>>this country from one area to another. And so far all of it good!!
>>

> You have led a sheltered life, sorry to say. It is worth trying new
> things wherever you go, but don't expect it all to be good.
> >

> Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Traveling and trying the local fare is sheltered? Maybe you just don't like
a wide variety of food if you don't expect it to be good. Judging the food
of an entire region on one meal in one diner is unreasonable.

Some of the worst food I've had is right down the street. I didn't have to
travel to find it.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MoM

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article <1130717608.befac64efaf5117e04ef8f9b962230e6@teran ews>,
> "MoM" > wrote:

>> > Kathy, good question. I don't use the canned biscuits but take the
>> > short
>> > cut of bisquick sometimes and other times use a scratch recipe. There
>> > is a
>> > copycat recipe for bisquick on the web that you can make up to keep on
>> > hand. I think it is called multi-baking mix. Here's my dumpling
>> > recipe.
>> >
>> > Dumplings
>> >
>> > 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
>> > 2 tsp baking powder
>> > 3/4 tsp salt
>> > 3 tbsp shortening
>> > 3/4 c milk
>> >
>> > Measure dry ingredients into bowl. Cut in shorting until mixture looks
>> > like meal. Stir in milk. (note - batter will be lumpy)
>> >
>> > Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot meat or vegetables. The recipe says
>> > not
>> > to drop directly into the liquid but I do because that's the way we
>> > like
>> > dumplings. Cook uncovered 10 min. Cover & cook about 10 min longer or
>> > until dumplings are fluffy.

>> I made my own chicken and dumplings tonight. We had roast chicken last
>> night so this morning I stripped it and threw some onion, green onion,
>> celery and leaves, carrot in a pot and sauted them. I added the carcasse
>> and some garlic and water and simmerd a couple of hours.
>>
>> Strained the stock. Saute'd more onion, shallot, celery and carrots.
>> Added
>> the stock and leftover gravy from last night and some barley.
>>
>> When the barley was cooked I added potatoes and frozen mixed veg and
>> simmered till mixed veg was cooked. Mixed up some of my own biscuit mix
>> with egg and milk and dropped dumplings on top and simmered for 30
>> minutes.
>>
>> Yum!
>>
>> MoM
>>

> Sounds yummy!
> Barley is always a good additive to soups.
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack
> Nicholson

You bet! And good for you too.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "Kathy in NZ" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:05:54 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:

>>> That sounds good!
>>> Mom would occasionally just used the canned biscuits from the store.
>>> Cut each circle in 1/4's and roll them into balls.
>>> --
>>> Om.
>>>
>>> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
>>> -Jack Nicholson

>> Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
>> canned biscuits or bisquick.
>>
>> Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
>> And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America,
>> and like it that way

> Oh I do agree. I make mine with SR flour, shredded suet, salt and
> water. I often put herbs in too. They take seconds to mix and
> enhance a stew like nothing else can

My (Scottish) grandmother always put dumplings in her beef stew. In fact,
the only thing in her beef stew was meat, potatoes and dumplings cooked on
top. No carrots, no onion, no celery. It was a very thick, meaty stew.
Delicious!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

(Kathy in NZ) wrote:

>>>Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
>>>canned biscuits or bisquick.
>>>
>>>Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
>>>And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America, and
>>>like it that way

>>Lots of dumpling recipes abound on the internet, Kathy. You can even
>>find plenty of recipes for "Bisquick"-type baking mix bases. I don't
>>know if you've gleaned any clues about what Bisquick is -- essentially a
>>basis for a variety of baked goods. Flour, vegetable shortening,
>>leavening, salt, mixed together for use at will. It's a versatile
>>product and I usually keep a small box in the pantry. I'm not proud.
>>--

> LOL, loved your reply.
>
> I guess we possibly DO have a product that might fit that category but
> I never use it. I didn't actually know what Bisquick was, to be
> honest.
>
> Kathy, who's usually too proud to use pre-made products!!

Kathy, I think I'm a lot like you preferring not to use pre-made
products if possible. Bisquick is one pre-made product I keep on hand
though and I do make up a few homemade mixes. Here is a link for a
homemade version of bisquick. I haven't tried this recipe but others
have reported the homemade version is as good as the commercial version.
http://www.homemakingcottage.com/baking/mixes.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary

WOW ... I really did start a topic didn't I. Great to see such a debate
on this subject. This is precisely the type of discusssion that we'd
love to encourage at http://www.Menkaura.com/Forum/index.php

Does anyone want to Moderate their own Forum board on this or a similar
subject. If you feel that you are able to, along with drawing others to
the table then we'd love to hear from you. Post your Forum Boards ideas
on the 'General discussion' and we'll be happy to positively consider
your ideas.

Kind regards, Gary

PS: ... and thanks to Gelonda for the website links!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:> UM.... that ain't Soul Food

> Turnip greens cooked to death with bits of the turnip with streaky bacon or
> ham (or ham hocks)... that's Soul Food
>
> You hit it right with the chicken & dumplings. Gotta be the rolled type
> dumplings, though, more like really thick noodles rather than fluffy
> dumplings.
>
> White soup beans (great northerns) cooked way down with ham and/or bacon...
>
> Cream gravy is Soul Food as are biscuits & sausage gravy or ham and redeye
> gravy...
>
> Damn, now I'm hungry!
>
> Jill

I was thinking 1) backbones and turnips, and 2) sweet potato pie

-bwg
New York Jew in Chicago

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
> > So, is soul food just another name for comfort food?

> Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
> Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be black to
> have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts have no
> place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking
>
> Jill

I more or less agree with Jill. I would add that there is a lot of
overlap between what is called American "southern food" and American
"soul food." Soul food having a African-American southern connotation,
"southern food" a white southern or (white or African-American)
southern connotation. Fried chicken, chicken & dumplings and mac n'
cheese are examples. So are corn bread and boiled beans. Also long
cooked greens such as mustard, turnip and collard.

-bwg
In Memoriam: Rosa Parks (1913-2005)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
> > On Fri 28 Oct 2005 05:58:40a, Nancy Young wrote

> >> Who is that in Manhattan? Aunt Sophia? If someone could find
> >> a menu from her restaurant, that's definitive soul food, as I understand
> >> it. I couldn't find a menu or I'd post it, I'm not even sure I have the
> >> right name.

> > Are you thinking of Sylvia's in Harlem? It's probably the most famous.
> > There is a cookbook available, but I can't find a menu.

> Of course! Thank you. I just thought their menu would explain
> what food is considered to be soul food. I'm picturing fried chicken,
> black eyed peas, mashed potatoes, sweet potato pie, greens ...
> all good stuff.
>
> nancy (Aunt Sophia???)

And she has a cookbook out -- "Sylvia's Soul Food" by Sylvia Woods and
Christopher Styler. Good stuff. Another (not solely) soul food cookbook
I like is "The Welcome Table: African-American Heritage Cooking" by
Jessica B Harris.

-bwg
"Crazy 'bout them greasy greens"
-Pink Anderson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Sausage gravy is a gravy made with ground pork seasoned with sage, milk or
> cream and the drippings from the pork when you cook it. Biscuits over here
> are like scones without fruit; savoury scones. You bake biscuits, split it
> in half, then spoon over the sausage gravy. It's for breakfast or lunch.
>
> Jill

Or after a long night out...

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> ms_peacock wrote on 28 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Southern cooking is just what both of my great grandmothers and my
> > grandmother cooked. I never knew there was any difference until I got
> > married and discovered Northerners didn't cook the same.
> >
> > Ms P
> >

> ???What? Do We stand on the other side of the stove?

Of course not. Northerners stand facing south as conquerors.
Southerners stand facing south in retreat.

-bwg
Tarheel fan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Don't I say BAKE several times (including in the recipe)?
>
> In this case, a griddle is a flat cast iron pan. Heavy; promotes a nice
> even heat and lightly browned scones. You can buy griddles that are not
> made of cast iron although why one would, I don't know.
>
> Jill

If you dont have a griddle, you can probably substitute a comal.

-bwg
;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 29 Oct 2005 10:23:01p, Kathy in NZ wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
> > canned biscuits or bisquick.
> >
> > Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
> > And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America, and
> > like it that way

> Drop Dumplings
>
> 1 cup sifted flour
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> Sprig parsley, minced
> 1/3 cup milk

These are also good with some chopped green onion incorporated into the
dough. Also, surprisingly, with poppy seeds...

-bwg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Dan wrote:

> Well, I've never met anybody who made their own flour, but I know they
> sell that equipment for home use.

Indeed, KitchenAid makes a grain mill for that exact purpose:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/catalog/se...=grain%20mill*

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:00:33 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Euphemistically, yes. Technically, no. 'Soul Food' originated in the
>>>Southern U.S. with black slaves, but of course you don't have to be
>>>black to
>>>have grown up with it and enjoy it. But trust me, alfalfa sprouts
>>>have no
>>>place in traditional 'Soul Food' cooking
>>>
>>>Jill

>> Both chitterlings (chitlins) and catfish qualify under the stricter
>> definition. But, if you are in a soul-food restaurant, and your
>> spouse orders catfish, it might be diplomatic not to order chitlins.

>Why?
>
>> DAMHIKT.

>???

The smell of the chitterlings makes it hard to enjoy the catfish, or
so I was told. I ordered the chitterlings, and they were delicious.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:00:58 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> wrote:

>"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:52:32 -0600, "ms_peacock"
>> > wrote:

>>>One of the things I've always really enjoyed is going on vacation and
>>>finding local diners to try the local fare. There's such a wide variety
>>>in
>>>this country from one area to another. And so far all of it good!!
>>>

>> You have led a sheltered life, sorry to say. It is worth trying new
>> things wherever you go, but don't expect it all to be good.
>> >

>> Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

>Traveling and trying the local fare is sheltered? Maybe you just don't like
>a wide variety of food if you don't expect it to be good. Judging the food
>of an entire region on one meal in one diner is unreasonable.
>
>Some of the worst food I've had is right down the street. I didn't have to
>travel to find it.
>
>Ms P

You said it was all good, IIRC. If that is your experience you have
been extremely lucky.

I don't expect every diner to be competent, because of long
experience. I don't let that discourage me from trying others. And, I
don't condemn any cuisine as a whole because of incompetent
practitioners.

I hope that is clearer.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:45:59 GMT, Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:00:58 -0600, "ms_peacock"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:52:32 -0600, "ms_peacock"

> >> You have led a sheltered life, sorry to say. It is worth trying new
> >> things wherever you go, but don't expect it all to be good.
> >> >
> >> Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

> >Traveling and trying the local fare is sheltered? Maybe you just don't like
> >a wide variety of food if you don't expect it to be good. Judging the food
> >of an entire region on one meal in one diner is unreasonable.
> >
> >Some of the worst food I've had is right down the street. I didn't have to
> >travel to find it.
> >
> >Ms P
> >

> You said it was all good, IIRC. If that is your experience you have
> been extremely lucky.
>
> I don't expect every diner to be competent, because of long
> experience. I don't let that discourage me from trying others. And, I
> don't condemn any cuisine as a whole because of incompetent
> practitioners.
>
> I hope that is clearer.

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

~patches~ wrote:

> Om, I make chicken & dumplings using bisquick for the dumplings. I find
> that easier than mixing up a batch of bisquit batter.

I make my own "bisquick" mix when I'm going to make biscuits (which
isn't often) because Bisquick has a chemically taste that I don't like.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Kathy in NZ wrote:

> Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
> canned biscuits or bisquick.
>
> Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
> And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America, and
> like it that way

Google is your friend. Whining isn't.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Curly Sue

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:40:54 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>Kathy in NZ wrote:
>
>> Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
>> canned biscuits or bisquick.
>>
>> Some of us cook from scratch. Some of us prefer to cook from scratch.
>> And some of us live in countries that aren't as canned as America, and
>> like it that way

>Google is your friend. Whining isn't.

Really. If she gets so ****y about not having access to a biscuit
mix, I can't imagine the rest of her life.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:56:46 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:

> >Kathy in NZ wrote:
> >
> >> Sigh, what about a dumpling recipe for those of us who don't have
> >> canned biscuits or bisquick.

Betty Crocker's Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings
Here's the "Dumplings" part of that recipe

1/2 C all purpose white flour
1 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
3 T shortening
1/4 C milk

Measure flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. (you can add 3 T
shipped fresh chives, I sometimes add rosemary or thyme). Cut in the
shortening thoroughly until the mixture looks like meal. Stir in
milk.

Drop by spoonfuls on the hot chicken. Cook uncovered 10 minutes;
cover and cook 20 minutes longer.

IMO: that method makes "perfect" dumplings every time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, sf wrote:

> Betty Crocker's Chicken Fricassee with Dumplings
> Here's the "Dumplings" part of that recipe
>
> 1/2 C all purpose white flour
> 1 t baking powder
> 3/4 t salt
> 3 T shortening
> 1/4 C milk
>
> Measure flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. (you can add 3 T
> shipped fresh chives, I sometimes add rosemary or thyme). Cut in the
> shortening thoroughly until the mixture looks like meal. Stir in
> milk.
>
> Drop by spoonfuls on the hot chicken. Cook uncovered 10 minutes;
> cover and cook 20 minutes longer.
>
> IMO: that method makes "perfect" dumplings every time.

One of my grandmother's made the "dropped spoonful, big dough ball
dumplings". I prefer the rolled ones.

I use, basically, the same dumpling recipe, except I use oil. It is a big
goo ball. turn out onto floured surface, work in enough flour to make a
dough. Roll it out paper thin, cut it into squares, drop each square into
the gently boiling chicken broth and let cook (simmer) about 45 minutes.
The trick is DO NOT STIR, only gently move dumplings about, sticking a
long handled spoon straight down to the bottom of the heavy-bottomed pot
in order to scrap the bottom as it thickens. Add chicken at the last
moment and fold gently.

IMO: that method makes "perfect" dumplins (no g) every time. <wink><grin>

I guess every cook who makes chicken and "dumplins" has a different
recipe, yet whenever we eat them, we always know what they are and
recognize the familiar dish.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:09:56 -0600, Elaine Parrish wrote:

> One of my grandmother's made the "dropped spoonful, big dough ball
> dumplings". I prefer the rolled ones.
>
> I use, basically, the same dumpling recipe, except I use oil.

Just curious... the same recipe as stated or the same as your
grandmother?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Kathy in NZ wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:56:46 GMT, (Curly
> Sue) wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:40:54 -0800, serene >
>>wrote:

>>>Google is your friend. Whining isn't.
>>>

>>Really. If she gets so ****y about not having access to a biscuit
>>mix, I can't imagine the rest of her life.
>>
>>Sue(tm)
>>Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> Maybe, Sue and Serene, I was trying to get you to think about being
> less reliant on packaged goods and more into making thnings from
> scratch, like your grandmothers did.

*laugh* You don't know me. Most of my meals are made from dried beans,
whole grains, and fresh (bought nearly daily) vegetables. We eat almost
no meat, almost no canned food (there's a can of tomatoes in my
cupboard), and nothing deep-fried. I cook from scratch at least twice a
day, and usually three times. Today's lunch was brown rice with fresh
vegetables and herbs, and that was not an unusual meal. The fact that I
found your post whiny has nothing to do with how I eat or cook. I may
not eat casseroles made of meat, canned soup, and instant mashed
potatoes, but if someone posts a recipe for that, I can either skip it
(my choice) or whine about it (your choice). I like my way better, but
feel free to do as you choose; I have no power over what you post.

Besides, my grandmother's idea of making dinner was to call a restaurant
that delivered.

> Convenience food has its place,
> but it should not totally replace fresh foods. Convenience foods are
> often high in additives, sugar, salt and all the things that make us
> less healthy than we should be. And often, making from scratch takes
> little more effort than opening a packet.
>
> You are too ready to judge others. Think on it.

People post LOTS of from-scratch recipes here. When someone posts one
that has too many prepared food for your liking, why not just skip past
it, or ask *politely* for one that is more to your liking?

I don't use Bisquick or canned beans or lots of other convenience foods
that people use here. That doesn't mean I need to sigh and complain,
especially when: (1) the archives are FULL of recipes using
from-scratch ingredients; (2) this newsgroup is full of people who will
happily answer queries like "What can I make from just a cob of corn, a
lima bean, and four quarts of chicken stock"; and (3) there is no (3).

I found your phrasing whiny and passive-aggressive. If that makes me
judgmental, so be it.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kathy in NZ

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:49:00 -0800, serene >
wrote:

>Kathy in NZ wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 13:56:46 GMT, (Curly
>> Sue) wrote:

>>>Really. If she gets so ****y about not having access to a biscuit
>>>mix, I can't imagine the rest of her life.
>>>
>>>Sue(tm)
>>>Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

>> Maybe, Sue and Serene, I was trying to get you to think about being
>> less reliant on packaged goods and more into making thnings from
>> scratch, like your grandmothers did.

>*laugh* You don't know me. Most of my meals are made from dried beans,
>whole grains, and fresh (bought nearly daily) vegetables. We eat almost
>no meat, almost no canned food (there's a can of tomatoes in my
>cupboard), and nothing deep-fried. I cook from scratch at least twice a
>day, and usually three times. Today's lunch was brown rice with fresh
>vegetables and herbs, and that was not an unusual meal. The fact that I
>found your post whiny has nothing to do with how I eat or cook. I may
>not eat casseroles made of meat, canned soup, and instant mashed
>potatoes, but if someone posts a recipe for that, I can either skip it
>(my choice) or whine about it (your choice). I like my way better, but
>feel free to do as you choose; I have no power over what you post.
>
>Besides, my grandmother's idea of making dinner was to call a restaurant
>that delivered.
>
>> Convenience food has its place,
>> but it should not totally replace fresh foods. Convenience foods are
>> often high in additives, sugar, salt and all the things that make us
>> less healthy than we should be. And often, making from scratch takes
>> little more effort than opening a packet.
>>
>> You are too ready to judge others. Think on it.

>People post LOTS of from-scratch recipes here. When someone posts one
>that has too many prepared food for your liking, why not just skip past
>it, or ask *politely* for one that is more to your liking?
>
>I don't use Bisquick or canned beans or lots of other convenience foods
>that people use here. That doesn't mean I need to sigh and complain,
>especially when: (1) the archives are FULL of recipes using
>from-scratch ingredients; (2) this newsgroup is full of people who will
>happily answer queries like "What can I make from just a cob of corn, a
>lima bean, and four quarts of chicken stock"; and (3) there is no (3).
>
>I found your phrasing whiny and passive-aggressive. If that makes me
>judgmental, so be it.
>
>serene

Thanks Serene

I didn't realise my post sounded whiny till I read the flak. However,
a number of posters were very kind and gave me "from scratch" recipes
which I've saved. I was reacting to so many recipes that seemed to
come from cans or pre-packaged frozen foods. You're right. I should
skip them. Thanks for the reply.

And your grandmothers idea of making dinner was to call a restaurant
that delivered?

My grandmother (last grandparent died about 1959) had never heard of a
restaurant. They virtually didn't exist in NZ even when I was a child,
unless you were staying in a hotel and had a meal (such as it was) in
the dining room. If you didn't want to cook yourself your choice was
fish and chips or fish and chips. We were quite backward in the 50s
and 60s. Thank goodness we've grown up.