JLove98905

Default whipped cream fell flat

I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of liquified in
the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it, which didn't work. I
used whipping cream, which was cold right out of the fridge, and a plastic
bowl, which was room temperature. I also added a little bit of cocoa powder
(unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.

What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what causes it to fall
flat in the fridge?

Thanks in advance,
Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Nancy Young

JLove98905 wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of liquified in
> the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it, which didn't work. I
> used whipping cream, which was cold right out of the fridge, and a plastic
> bowl,

Ding ding ding! You need a glass bowl. NO plastic.

nancy
Vox Humana

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of

liquified in
> the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it, which didn't work.

> used whipping cream, which was cold right out of the fridge, and a plastic
> bowl, which was room temperature. I also added a little bit of cocoa

powder
> (unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.
>
> What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what causes it to

fall
> flat in the fridge?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Whipped cream doesn't last too long in the refrigerator unless you stabilize
it. If you only need to keep it for a day, using powdered sugar (the kind
with some corn starch added which would be most brands) to sweeten it will
work. You can also dissolve some gelatin in water and add that to the cream
before beating it. You can buy whipped cream stabilizers at specialty
stores and larger markets. Some brands are higher in butterfat than others.
I have noticed that the fat content has been reduced in some brands at my
market. That combined with ultrapasturization shortens the time it will
remain whipped. Check the labels next time and get the one with the highest
butter fat content. It whips best when very cold and the bowl and utensils
are very cold. I don't see why a plastic bowl would cause a problem with
cream, but it is definitely a bad choice for whipping egg whites. Of course
a glass or ceramic bowel with lots of mass will keep the cream cold better
than a thin plastic bowl.

Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:

> I don't see why a plastic bowl would cause a problem with
> cream, but it is definitely a bad choice for whipping egg whites.

Plastic hangs onto fats, which will kill beating egg whites. Forget
plastic bowls for this purpose.

nancy
Alex Rast

at Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:19:02 GMT in
(JLove98905) wrote :

>I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of
>liquified in the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it,
>which didn't work. I used whipping cream, which was cold right out of
>the fridge, and a plastic bowl, which was room temperature. I also added
>a little bit of cocoa powder (unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.
>
>What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what causes it
>to fall flat in the fridge?

The big key is to use cream marked "heavy cream", not "whipping cream".
Whipping cream, despite the name, is usually not high-fat enough to whip
properly and stay whipped. Heavy cream usually is. You want 40%+ fat. In
addition, stay away from ultra-pasteurized which tastes somewhat funny and
because of the high-temperature processing that denatures the cream doesn't
whip as well, and avoid products containing carrageenan or gums, or any
other stabilisers. Usually if they're included it's a good indication that
the cream isn't thick enough on its own merits to whip well.

As others have mentioned, a plastic bowl is also a bad idea, especially
since the cream may absorb a plasticky flavour from it. Better to use a
cold bowl, although if you've got the real deal (pure, pasteurized, heavy
cream) it's not really necessary. For chocolate flavour, btw, it's a little
better to melt some chocolate and whip it into the cream just before the
cream becomes fully stiff. The chocolate will stabilise the cream very
well.

It's also possible, if rewhipping didn't work, that you overwhipped it and
the cream separated into curds and whey. Did it return to an even fluid or
did it become a mass of lumps in a watery liquid? If the latter, you
overwhipped it. It's easy to do this with whipping cream, because it may
*never* whip fully stiff and you might well continue whipping in a futile
attempt to achieve a state it's never going to have.

--
Alex Rast

Sue

> (JLove98905) wrote :
>
> >I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of
> >liquified in the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it,
> >which didn't work. I used whipping cream, which was cold right out of
> >the fridge, and a plastic bowl, which was room temperature. I also added
> >a little bit of cocoa powder (unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.
> >
> >What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what causes it
> >to fall flat in the fridge?

TIPS ON WHIPPING CREAM

a.. Be sure to chill a metal bowl, beaters, or the whisk you'll use to
whip the cream in your freezer, about 15 minutes for best results. You'll
find the cream will whip faster and more fully. If, however, you don't have
time to chill the bowl, you can immerse it in a larger bowl filled with ice
water and proceed as usual.
b.. Use powdered (confectioner's sugar) to sweeten cream-it not only
dissolves quickly, but also helps stabilize the whipped cream due the fact
it contains cornstarch.
c.. If you accidentally over beat heavy or whipping cream so much so that
it begins to turn buttery, gently stir in additional cream, 1 tablespoon at
a time. Don't "beat" the cream again or you'll be right back where you
began.
d.. Remember to use a bowl that's deep enough, keeping in mind the cream
will double in volume when it's whipped.
e.. Decrease the instances of splattering by gradually increasing the
speed of the mixer from low to high. You can also protect yourself and your
clothes by draping a kitchen towel over the bowl of an electric standing
mixer to catch any fly away cream.
f.. A small amount of cream (less than 1 cup) will whip better in a deep
narrow bowl than one that's large and wide.
g.. You'll get more volume from whipped cream if you hold off adding sugar
or flavorings like vanilla or liqueurs until the cream has been whipped to
soft peaks.

DRB

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of

liquified in
> the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it, which didn't work.

> used whipping cream, which was cold right out of the fridge, and a plastic
> bowl, which was room temperature. I also added a little bit of cocoa

powder
> (unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.
>
> What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what causes it to

fall
> flat in the fridge?

Jen,
I often use chocolate whipped cream to frost a cake a like to make. I do
make it in a plastic bowl, but a very chilled plastic bowl. Also, I make
sure every utensil I'm going to use is cold. I put beaters, spatulas, etc.
in the freezer at least 30 minutes before hand.

To make 2 cups of the chocolate whipped cream, I use 1 cup heavy cream, very
cold, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbs light corn syrup (I use
Karo), 1/8 tsp salt, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons dutch-processed cocoa powder. I
mix everything together, ahead of time, in my bowl and then put it all back
in the fridge to chill at least 3-4 hours. The colder the fridge is, the
better. Once the mixture is very cold, I beat with the chilled beaters
until stiff peaks start to form. This tends to hold up very well, and I've
had it hold as long as 3-4 days.

HTH,
DRB

Vox Humana

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > I don't see why a plastic bowl would cause a problem with
> > cream, but it is definitely a bad choice for whipping egg whites.

> Plastic hangs onto fats, which will kill beating egg whites. Forget
> plastic bowls for this purpose.

I think we are on the same page here.

Nancy Young

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see why a plastic bowl would cause a problem with
> > > cream, but it is definitely a bad choice for whipping egg whites.

> > Plastic hangs onto fats, which will kill beating egg whites. Forget
> > plastic bowls for this purpose.

> I think we are on the same page here.

Plastics won't get as cold as glass, I wouldn't go there. Plus they
hang onto ickies. Not good for whipping stuff. I don't think it's
just my opinion. I think it's true, from everything I've read. Sorry
that I drifted.

nancy
Ms Leebee

Vox Humana wrote:
> Of course a glass or ceramic bowel with lots of mass
> will keep the cream cold better than a thin plastic bowl.

heh !
( I think i'll pass !

Bob (this one)

Alex Rast wrote:

> at Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:19:02 GMT in
> >,
> OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote :
>
>> I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of
>> liquified in the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip
>> it, which didn't work. I used whipping cream, which was cold
>> right out of the fridge, and a plastic bowl, which was room
>> temperature. I also added a little bit of cocoa powder
>> (unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.
>>
>> What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what
>> causes it to fall flat in the fridge?

> The big key is to use cream marked "heavy cream", not "whipping
> cream". Whipping cream, despite the name, is usually not high-fat
> enough to whip properly and stay whipped.

Of course it is. Millions of gallons of it are whipped every day.

> Heavy cream usually is. You want 40%+ fat.

You can't buy cream with fat content like that in the US and I don't
see it very often in Europe either, unless you're getting it from the
dairy directly. Commercial creams for whipping that are sold at retail
are 30% or 36%. Foodservice operators can get 40% cream.

> In addition, stay away from ultra-pasteurized which tastes somewhat
> funny and because of the high-temperature processing that
> denatures the cream doesn't whip as well, and avoid products
> containing carrageenan or gums, or any other stabilisers. Usually
> if they're included it's a good indication that the cream isn't
> thick enough on its own merits to whip well.

It's all but impossible to stay away from ultrapasteurized cream if
you're buying it in supermarkets. It will whip just fine and the gums
will help stabilize it. Thickness is a function of total milkfat and
temperature. Cold=thick.

> As others have mentioned, a plastic bowl is also a bad idea,
> especially since the cream may absorb a plasticky flavour from it.

"...a plasticky flavor..." Right. Like food-safe plastics have any
flavor at all.

> Better to use a cold bowl, although if you've got the real deal
> (pure, pasteurized, heavy cream) it's not really necessary.

Milkfat will *always* whip better cold.

> For chocolate flavour, btw, it's a little better to melt some
> chocolate and whip it into the cream just before the cream becomes
> fully stiff. The chocolate will stabilise the cream very well.

And warm it nicely to help it deflate.

> It's also possible, if rewhipping didn't work, that you overwhipped
> it and the cream separated into curds and whey. Did it return to
> an even fluid

Cream that has been whipped to any sort of peaks won't return to a
liquid. Overwhipping cream won't get curds and whey; it'll get butter
and buttermilk.

> or did it become a mass of lumps in a watery liquid? If the latter,
> you overwhipped it.

That's called butter.

> It's easy to do this with whipping cream, because it may *never*
> whip fully stiff and you might well continue whipping in a futile
> attempt to achieve a state it's never going to have.

This is plain silly. If you want a good stiff whipped cream, whip it
in a cold bowl - metal or glass - add sugar or not, until it holds an
upright peak. Scrape it into a strainer and put that over a bowl to
drain. Put the whole thing into the fridge. You'll get a small, watery
puddle in the bottom of the bowl and the cream will stay whipped and
get a nice density. For a chocolate flavor, combine cocoa powder with
a bit of liquid sugar (corn syrup or simple syrup) and whip it into
the cream. A bit of confectioners' sugar can help stabilize it, but I
don't like to use commercial stuff because of the corn starch and that
slight grittiness from it. The starch will hydrate some, but it
doesn't add anything useful to the cream since it doesn't gelatinize
without cooking. I take plain table sugar and run it through my
processor until it's fine.

Pastorio

Katra

In article >,
(Alex Rast) wrote:

> at Tue, 22 Jun 2004 23:19:02 GMT in
> >,
OSPAM
> (JLove98905) wrote :
>
> >I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of
> >liquified in the fridge after I made it. I attempted to re-whip it,
> >which didn't work. I used whipping cream, which was cold right out of
> >the fridge, and a plastic bowl, which was room temperature. I also added
> >a little bit of cocoa powder (unsweetened) to it, for chocolate flavor.
> >
> >What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what causes it
> >to fall flat in the fridge?

> The big key is to use cream marked "heavy cream", not "whipping cream".
> Whipping cream, despite the name, is usually not high-fat enough to whip
> properly and stay whipped. Heavy cream usually is. You want 40%+ fat. In
> addition, stay away from ultra-pasteurized which tastes somewhat funny and
> because of the high-temperature processing that denatures the cream doesn't
> whip as well, and avoid products containing carrageenan or gums, or any
> other stabilisers. Usually if they're included it's a good indication that
> the cream isn't thick enough on its own merits to whip well.
>
> As others have mentioned, a plastic bowl is also a bad idea, especially
> since the cream may absorb a plasticky flavour from it. Better to use a
> cold bowl, although if you've got the real deal (pure, pasteurized, heavy
> cream) it's not really necessary. For chocolate flavour, btw, it's a little
> better to melt some chocolate and whip it into the cream just before the
> cream becomes fully stiff. The chocolate will stabilise the cream very
> well.
>
> It's also possible, if rewhipping didn't work, that you overwhipped it and
> the cream separated into curds and whey. Did it return to an even fluid or
> did it become a mass of lumps in a watery liquid? If the latter, you
> overwhipped it. It's easy to do this with whipping cream, because it may
> *never* whip fully stiff and you might well continue whipping in a futile
> attempt to achieve a state it's never going to have.

I gave up whipping cream with beaters long ago. :-)

I purchased a gas cream whipper and buy the nitrous charges for it.
I fill the bottle with heavy cream and some splena, slap in an N2O
cartrige and just store the bottle in the refrigerator...

Makes fresh whipped cream as needed!

This is one of the cheapest sites on the 'net to buy the stuff, and the
proprieter is a wonderful guy. Excellent and FAST customer service!!!
The charges are cheapest by the case.

http://www.creamright.com/

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

hahabogus

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> "...a plasticky flavor..." Right. Like food-safe plastics have any
> flavor at all.

They do at my house...The flavour is years of use.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

In rec.food.cooking, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Plastics won't get as cold as glass, I wouldn't go there.

C'mon. Think about it. If you leave two objects in the freezer
overnight, both will attain exactly the same temp as any other part of
the freezer.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
Wayne

(Curly Sue) wrote in news:40d9921a.7854321
@news-server.nyc.rr.com:

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote :

>>> The big key is to use cream marked "heavy cream", not "whipping
>>> cream". Whipping cream, despite the name, is usually not high-fat
>>> enough to whip properly and stay whipped.

>>Of course it is. Millions of gallons of it are whipped every day.

> I agree! I have no problem whipping "whipping cream" and having it
> stay whipped. You just have to keep it cold after it's whipped. I
> will say that when my mother whips up a big bowl at Thanksgiving and
> people spoon it out over the next few days for pies, it does
> accumulate cream on the bottom of the bowl. I suspect that would
> happen with heavy cream too under those circumstances.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I use both, but when I really want stability I will use heavy cream. It
actually will stay completely whipped for several days in a bowl.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Doug Freyburger

JLove98905 wrote:

> What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream?

Making it just before it's used rather than making it far
in advance and storing it.

> And what causes it to fall flat in the fridge?

Consider the cans. They make the foam the second before
it is used. Now consider the tubs and read the ingredients.
To keep the foam intact they use a miasma of chemicals
most folks can't pronounce.

You could add all sorts of chemcials to keep the foam,
but the better solution is just-in-time manufacturing.
Make it just before it is used.
Alex Rast

at Wed, 23 Jun 2004 06:03:14 GMT in >,

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote :

>>> I'm not quite sure what I did wrong, but my whipped cream kind of
>>> liquified in the fridge after I made it. ...
>>> What's the key to getting good stiff whipped cream? And what
>>> causes it to fall flat in the fridge?

>> The big key is to use cream marked "heavy cream", not "whipping
>> cream". Whipping cream, despite the name, is usually not high-fat
>> enough to whip properly and stay whipped.

>Of course it is. Millions of gallons of it are whipped every day.

IME, whipping cream never whips completely stiff (i.e. stiff enough that
you can turn the bowl upside down, and tends to collapse in the fridge.
I've seen enough posts on the net to see that other people seem to have had
similar experiences. I don't claim to have definitive information - what
I'm talking about is based on what I've seen and read.

>> Heavy cream usually is. You want 40%+ fat.

>You can't buy cream with fat content like that in the US and I don't
>see it very often in Europe either, unless you're getting it from the
>dairy directly. Commercial creams for whipping that are sold at retail
>are 30% or 36%. Foodservice operators can get 40% cream.

I don't know where you live, but in Seattle I can get 40% and 46% cream
readily. Most supermarkets have the 40%. Many high-end supermarkets have
the 46%.

In Britain, virtually every supermarket carries the 46% "Double cream"
which is IMHO the ultimate cream for whipping. Of course, in Britain, you
can also get clotted cream, which is around 55%. You can get clotted cream
here in Seattle as well.

>> In addition, stay away from ultra-pasteurized ...

>It's all but impossible to stay away from ultrapasteurized cream if
>you're buying it in supermarkets. It will whip just fine and the gums
>will help stabilize it. Thickness is a function of total milkfat and
>temperature. Cold=thick.

Again, here in Seattle, pasteurized cream is commonplace. You can find it
in every supermarket. Virtually all of them also carry ones without gums. I
buy cream all the time that is 40%, pure cream, pasteurized. It stays
stable at room temperature for extended periods. Personally, I think this
is the way cream for whipping should be. You shouldn't have to get
obsessive about chilling.

>> As others have mentioned, a plastic bowl is also a bad idea,
>> especially since the cream may absorb a plasticky flavour from it.

>"...a plasticky flavor..." Right. Like food-safe plastics have any
>flavor at all.

Every plastic I've ever encountered has some plasticky flavour to it. Some
are less aggressive than others, but it's always there, even if it's mostly
a sort of flatness that's a little difficult to place if you're not
familiar with what it represents. The transfer goes both ways, btw - a
plastic bowl will absorb flavours from the food. This can make other foods
made in it later have the flavour of the earlier food, and also it implies
that you're always losing some of the food's flavour into the bowl.

>> For chocolate flavour, btw, it's a little better to melt some
>> chocolate and whip it into the cream just before the cream becomes
>> fully stiff. The chocolate will stabilise the cream very well.

>And warm it nicely to help it deflate.

That's what you'd think might happen but it actually doesn't. Chocolate
doesn't have to be brought particularly hot to melt (only about 95 F), and
if you're mixing it in right, in a thin stream poured out from the bowl
containing the melted chocolate, what actually happens is that as the
chocolate hits the cream, it cools and the cocoa butter recrystallises,
stabilising the cream. If, however, you *fold* the chocolate in, by pouring
in a large amount of chocolate into the bowl and mixing it with a spatula
rather than using the beaters, yes, it will deflate badly. This is one
occasion when folding is the wrong technique to maintain volume.

>> It's also possible, if rewhipping didn't work, that you overwhipped
>> it and the cream separated into curds and whey. Did it return to
>> an even fluid

>Cream that has been whipped to any sort of peaks won't return to a
>liquid. Overwhipping cream won't get curds and whey; it'll get butter
>and buttermilk.

Yes, these are better terms for what I'm describing. However, I have seen
cream whipped into peaks return to a liquid, even in the fridge. (If it
didn't, why would there be any discussion about the need to stabilise it)?

>> It's easy to do this with whipping cream, because it may *never*
>> whip fully stiff and you might well continue whipping in a futile
>> attempt to achieve a state it's never going to have.

>This is plain silly. If you want a good stiff whipped cream, whip it
>in a cold bowl - metal or glass - add sugar or not, until it holds an
>upright peak. Scrape it into a strainer and put that over a bowl to
>drain. Put the whole thing into the fridge. You'll get a small, watery
>puddle in the bottom of the bowl and the cream will stay whipped and
>get a nice density.

Perhaps that's what you've experienced. My experiences are different. In
any case, heavy cream doesn't develop that watery puddle and the density is
far superiour. You don't need to use a strainer or get fussy at all. Double
cream, as I mentioned, is the ultimate, and whips up in under a minute.

> For a chocolate flavor, combine cocoa powder with
>a bit of liquid sugar (corn syrup or simple syrup) and whip it into
>the cream.

Personally, I prefer chocolate because it delivers a *chocolate* flavour as
opposed to a *cocoa* flavour (yes, they are detectably different) although
a cocoa flavoured cream is also good and has a lighter taste that's more
appropriate in some situations.

--
Alex Rast

In rec.food.cooking, Wayne > wrote:

> While your statement is true, the difference is in heat transfer rate and
> density of material. Plastic or thin meatl will warm more quickly than
> glass upon removal from the freezer or refrigerator.

Well, yeah. But that's not what was said. And its not the density of
the material, its the mass.

> I always use a heavy glass mixing bowl and store the bowl and beaters in
> the freezer for at least a few hours or overnight before whipping cream.
> It works every time.

Well, yeah.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Nancy Young > wrote:

> The blue ice cube trays? Would you stick that in your drink instead
> of the ice cubes? I know, I'm being silly to illustrate my point.
> I guarantee the plastic will not cool the drink nearly as well as the
> cubes.

Yes, but the reason is NOT because the ice and the tray are different
temperatures.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who
JLove98905

Well, this has been highly informative! My big mistake, apparently, was using a
plastic bowl, which wasn't even chilled properly. I will try to find cream that
is at least 40% butterfat next time, and try to get something that isn't
ultra-pasteurized.

I don't see myself buying the canned stuff- I'm cutting out the sugar by making
it at home. I likewise do not see myself buying a whipped cream charger, as
suggested, because that would just be asking for trouble!

Thanks to everyone,
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Bob (this one)

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote :
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> The big key is to use cream marked "heavy cream", not "whipping
>>> cream". Whipping cream, despite the name, is usually not
>>> high-fat enough to whip properly and stay whipped.

>>=20
>> Of course it is. Millions of gallons of it are whipped every day.
>>=20

>=20
> IME, whipping cream never whips completely stiff (i.e. stiff enough
> that you can turn the bowl upside down, and tends to collapse in
> the fridge. I've seen enough posts on the net to see that other
> people seem to have had similar experiences. I don't claim to have
> definitive information - what I'm talking about is based on what
> I've seen and read.

And in my restaurants, we routinely whipped quarts of whipping cream
(36%) every day. Stiff enough to frost cakes and stiff enough to do
tall garnishes on desserts. Stiff enough to put on hot coffee drinks.
Stiff enough to live in the fridge for 24 hours or even more when
needed in quantity for banquets.

>>> Heavy cream usually is. You want 40%+ fat.

>>=20
>> You can't buy cream with fat content like that in the US and I
>> don't see it very often in Europe either, unless you're getting
>> it from the dairy directly. Commercial creams for whipping that
>> are sold at retail are 30% or 36%. Foodservice operators can get
>> 40% cream.

>=20
> I don't know where you live, but in Seattle I can get 40% and 46%
> cream readily. Most supermarkets have the 40%. Many high-end
> supermarkets have the 46%.
>=20
> In Britain, virtually every supermarket carries the 46% "Double
> cream" which is IMHO the ultimate cream for whipping. Of course, in
> Britain, you can also get clotted cream, which is around 55%. You
> can get clotted cream here in Seattle as well.

Clotted cream is cooked; that's how it became clotted. European double
creams nowadays are virtually all ultrapasteurized.

>>> In addition, stay away from ultra-pasteurized ...

>>=20
>> It's all but impossible to stay away from ultrapasteurized cream
>> if you're buying it in supermarkets. It will whip just fine and
>> the gums will help stabilize it. Thickness is a function of total
>> milkfat and temperature. Cold=3Dthick.

>=20
> Again, here in Seattle, pasteurized cream is commonplace. You can
> find it in every supermarket. Virtually all of them also carry ones
> without gums. I buy cream all the time that is 40%, pure cream,
> pasteurized. It stays stable at room temperature for extended
> periods. Personally, I think this is the way cream for whipping
> should be. You shouldn't have to get obsessive about chilling.

What do you mean that "It stays stable at room temperature for
extended periods."? Warm milkfat won't increase in volume anything
like milkfat will. It won't set up the fat-protein matrix as well.

>>> As others have mentioned, a plastic bowl is also a bad idea,=20
>>> especially since the cream may absorb a plasticky flavour from
>>> it.

>>=20
>> "...a plasticky flavor..." Right. Like food-safe plastics have
>> any flavor at all.

>=20
> Every plastic I've ever encountered has some plasticky flavour to
> it.

Foodsafe plastic is so designated because it doesn't outgas and it
doesn't provide a surface that can be tasted, because it's inert.

> Some are less aggressive than others, but it's always there, even
> if it's mostly a sort of flatness that's a little difficult to
> place if you're not familiar with what it represents. The transfer
> goes both ways, btw - a plastic bowl will absorb flavours from the
> food. This can make other foods made in it later have the flavour
> of the earlier food, and also it implies that you're always losing
> some of the food's flavour into the bowl.
>=20
>=20
>>> For chocolate flavour, btw, it's a little better to melt some=20
>>> chocolate and whip it into the cream just before the cream
>>> becomes fully stiff. The chocolate will stabilise the cream
>>> very well.

>>=20
>> And warm it nicely to help it deflate.

>=20
> That's what you'd think might happen but it actually doesn't.
> Chocolate doesn't have to be brought particularly hot to melt (only
> about 95 F), and if you're mixing it in right, in a thin stream
> poured out from the bowl containing the melted chocolate, what
> actually happens is that as the chocolate hits the cream, it cools
> and the cocoa butter recrystallises, stabilising the cream. If,
> however, you *fold* the chocolate in, by pouring in a large amount
> of chocolate into the bowl and mixing it with a spatula rather than
> using the beaters, yes, it will deflate badly. This is one occasion
> when folding is the wrong technique to maintain volume.

Alex, you're talking to me as though I'm a rookie, and maybe I was one
about 30 years ago before I opened my first restaurant. Save these
little speeches. Butter liquefies at about 93=B0F. Chocolate will melt
sufficiently to work at a good deal cooler temp than 95=B0. But it will
seize upon being added to cold cream. That's when you get little
specks of chocolate distributed throughout the whipped cream. If the
chocolate is cool enough not to do that and the cream is warm enough
not to cause the seizing, the final volume will be considerably less
than it would have been otherwise.

>>> It's also possible, if rewhipping didn't work, that you
>>> overwhipped it and the cream separated into curds and whey. Did
>>> it return to an even fluid

>>=20
>> Cream that has been whipped to any sort of peaks won't return to
>> a liquid. Overwhipping cream won't get curds and whey; it'll get
>> butter and buttermilk.

>=20
> Yes, these are better terms for what I'm describing. However, I
> have seen cream whipped into peaks return to a liquid, even in the
> fridge. (If it didn't, why would there be any discussion about the
> need to stabilise it)?

There's a lot of physics and chemistry going on here. The most
frequent apparent break in cream is when the water components separate
from the fat and the whole thing seems wet. That's why professionals
put the whipped cream into a strainer to permit the water to drain.
Having done that, there's no need to add anything to stabilize it. It
will remain airy and whipped for days.

>>> It's easy to do this with whipping cream, because it may
>>> *never* whip fully stiff and you might well continue whipping
>>> in a futile attempt to achieve a state it's never going to
>>> have.

>>=20
>> This is plain silly. If you want a good stiff whipped cream, whip
>> it in a cold bowl - metal or glass - add sugar or not, until it
>> holds an upright peak. Scrape it into a strainer and put that
>> over a bowl to drain. Put the whole thing into the fridge. You'll
>> get a small, watery puddle in the bottom of the bowl and the
>> cream will stay whipped and get a nice density.

>=20
> Perhaps that's what you've experienced. My experiences are
> different. In any case, heavy cream doesn't develop that watery
> puddle and the density is far superiour. You don't need to use a
> strainer or get fussy at all. Double cream, as I mentioned, is the
> ultimate, and whips up in under a minute.

*All* creams have a water component that will separate in time and
temperature. Even butter is about 20% water. I've gotten
custom-centrifuged creams that were as high as 50% milkfat from a
dairy nearby and even they will separate to some extent upon holding.

>> For a chocolate flavor, combine cocoa powder with a bit of liquid
>> sugar (corn syrup or simple syrup) and whip it into the cream.

>=20
> Personally, I prefer chocolate because it delivers a *chocolate*
> flavour as opposed to a *cocoa* flavour (yes, they are detectably
> different) although a cocoa flavoured cream is also good and has a
> lighter taste that's more appropriate in some situations.

<LOL> Cocoa is concentrated chocolate; no additives. Hardly lighter.

I think we're done here, Alex. The last words are all yours.

Pastorio

Wayne

Katra > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:
>
>> Well, this has been highly informative! My big mistake, apparently,
>> was using a
>> plastic bowl, which wasn't even chilled properly. I will try to find
>> cream that
>> is at least 40% butterfat next time, and try to get something that
>> isn't ultra-pasteurized.
>>
>> I don't see myself buying the canned stuff- I'm cutting out the sugar
>> by making
>> it at home. I likewise do not see myself buying a whipped cream
>> charger, as suggested, because that would just be asking for trouble!
>>

>> Thanks to everyone,
>> -Jen

> Why would that be asking for trouble???
>
> I really LOVE mine and it makes a great sugar free whipped cream.
> You just pour the whipping (or I use heavy cream) into the bottle, add
> splenda or nutri-sweet if you like, slap in the gas cartrige and you
> get instant whipped cream! I've kept the bottle in the refrigerator
> for several days and just dispensed what I needed, when I needed it.
> It's fabulous in coffee.
>
> It's as handy as buying the canned stuff but OH so much better!!!!
>
> And sugar free for the many of us doing low carb. <lol>
>
> Trust me, it's well worth the investment.
>
> K.

I wouldn't say it's asking for trouble, but I don't like the texture it
produces -- much too frothy and light. While I know that it produces
"whipped" cream instantly on demand, what it does produce doesn't hold up
much beyond the time it takes to eat it -- not good for topping a whole
pie for later cutting, etc. I have one and use it occasionally, but I
prefer the heavy, almost buttery texture and consistency of cream whipped
with a beater. I don't have to add sugar to that either, if I don't want
to.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Jane Lumley

In article >, Nancy Young
> writes
>Vox Humana wrote:

>> > Plastic hangs onto fats, which will kill beating egg whites. Forget
>> > plastic bowls for this purpose.

>> I think we are on the same page here.

>Plastics won't get as cold as glass, I wouldn't go there. Plus they
>hang onto ickies. Not good for whipping stuff. I don't think it's
>just my opinion. I think it's true, from everything I've read. Sorry
>that I drifted.

I've had a Kenwood Chef for thirty years with a plastic bowl. Egg
whites and cream whip beautifully in it, though not as well as in the
KitchenAid's metal bowl.

Was it heavy cream, as it's jokingly called in the US?

You really don't need additives if the cream is good, but I find it
impossible to buy good cream in the US - are there any artisanal dairies
I missed?

--
Jane Lumley
Jane Lumley

In article >, Bob (this one)
> writes
>You can't buy cream with fat content like that in the US and I don't
>see it very often in Europe either, unless you're getting it from the
>dairy directly.

I dunno where you've been in Europe, but every supermarket here in
England stocks double cream at over 40% fat.

--
Jane Lumley
Wayne

(Curly Sue) wrote in
:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:12:23 -0000,

> (Alex Rast) wrote:
>
>>Every plastic I've ever encountered has some plasticky flavour to it.
>>Some are less aggressive than others, but it's always there, even if
>>it's mostly a sort of flatness that's a little difficult to place if
>>you're not familiar with what it represents. The transfer goes both
>>ways, btw - a plastic bowl will absorb flavours from the food. This
>>can make other foods made in it later have the flavour of the earlier
>>food, and also it implies that you're always losing some of the food's
>>flavour into the bowl.

> Maybe what you describe is a problem of hand-washed plastics.
> Contemporary dishwasher detergents (OK, Cascade anyway) and
> dishwashers are so good that plastic is cleaned slick as a whistle,
> aided by the really hot water of the dishwasher. I wouldn't be
> surprized if one could whip egg whites in plastic washed in the
> dishwasher. Unless, perhaps, there is something wrong with the
> appliance or it is overloaded. Regular dish detergent for
> hand-washing can't compare.
>
> I have lots of plastic storage containers (mostly Rubbermaid and those
> cheapy disposable/reusable ones) as well as a few plastic mixing bowls
> and there is no odor or discoloration even after years of use.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I agree and have had similar experience. In fact, I have one plastic
mixing/storage bowl (the lid was lost years ago) that I bought in 1965
that is still going strong and has never had an odor or taste from the
plastic. I've hung onto it because it's the only bowl I have that has a
wide flat bottom. I routinely mix tuna salad, potato salad, marinades,
and other strong flavored foods in it and it seems to absorb nothing. I
have always washed it in a dishwasher. I've often wondered when it will
wear out, since I only paid 99¢ for it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

whipped cream - how much sugar per cup of heavy cream? Sky General Cooking 25 26-11-2012 09:36 PM
Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/cremeanglaise/pastry cream Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 1 02-06-2011 03:58 AM
Vanilla pudding + whipped cream = boston/bavarian cream/creme anglaise/pastry cream Christopher M.[_2_] General Cooking 21 01-06-2011 11:00 PM
Whipped cream? notbob General Cooking 0 29-09-2010 05:35 PM
Whipped Cream No Name Recipes (moderated) 0 14-05-2007 03:29 AM