Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Friday Morning Breakfast 9/24/10 and a Bran Muffin Recipe

Here's another boring food post I don't normally eat breakfast. Maybe a
toasted english muffin or a couple of slices of PB toast. This morning I
wanted something more. So I made a 2 egg omelet filled with grated sharp
cheddar and crumbled bacon.

Here's a bran-muffin recipe I really like. I got this recipe over 20 years
ago off a box of Hodgson Mill unprocessed wheat bran (miller's bran). The
great thing about this is you can mix the batter and store it (tightly
covered) in the fridge up to 4 weeks. Bake as many or as few muffins as you
like, whenever you like. (I used to bake 2 of them while getting dressed to
go to work.)

Oven-ready Bran Muffins

3 c. (Hodgson Mill) unprocessed wheat bran
1 c. boiling water
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
2-1/2 c. unbleached white flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. buttermilk*

Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water. Stir and let water absorb
into bran. In a separate bowl cream sugar and butter. Meanwhile, measure
and combine flour, baking soda and salt. Combine the moistened bran with
beaten eggs, then the remaining 2 cups of bran, buttermilk, blended
sugar-butter mixture and flour, soda and salt mixture. Stir until well
blended.

Place in the refrigerator for future use, or bake at once. When preparing
to bake, preheat oven to 400F. Stir batter well and spoon into lightly
greased muffin tins or into muffin tins lined with "cupcake" liners. Bake
15 minutes. Store mixture in an airtight container in the refrigerator for
2-4 weeks. Yield: 2 dozen muffins.

*If you don't have buttermilk you can make a reasonable facsimile by adding
1 Tbs. white vinegar per cup of milk. It even works with non-fat milk. Let
it sit for a few minutes, stir well and use as you would the buttermilk.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Here's another boring food post I don't normally eat breakfast.
> Maybe a toasted english muffin or a couple of slices of PB toast. This
> morning I wanted something more. So I made a 2 egg omelet filled with
> grated sharp cheddar and crumbled bacon.
>
> Here's a bran-muffin recipe I really like. I got this recipe over 20
> years ago off a box of Hodgson Mill unprocessed wheat bran (miller's
> bran). The great thing about this is you can mix the batter and store
> it (tightly covered) in the fridge up to 4 weeks. Bake as many or as
> few muffins as you like, whenever you like. (I used to bake 2 of them
> while getting dressed to go to work.)
>
> Oven-ready Bran Muffins
>
> 3 c. (Hodgson Mill) unprocessed wheat bran
> 1 c. boiling water
> 1 c. brown sugar
> 1/2 c. butter, softened
> 2-1/2 c. unbleached white flour
> 2 tsp. baking soda
> 1 tsp. salt
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 2 c. buttermilk*
>
> Mix 1 cup wheat bran with 1 cup boiling water. Stir and let water
> absorb into bran. In a separate bowl cream sugar and butter.
> Meanwhile, measure and combine flour, baking soda and salt. Combine the
> moistened bran with beaten eggs, then the remaining 2 cups of bran,
> buttermilk, blended sugar-butter mixture and flour, soda and salt
> mixture. Stir until well blended.
>
> Place in the refrigerator for future use, or bake at once. When
> preparing to bake, preheat oven to 400F. Stir batter well and spoon
> into lightly greased muffin tins or into muffin tins lined with
> "cupcake" liners. Bake 15 minutes. Store mixture in an airtight
> container in the refrigerator for 2-4 weeks. Yield: 2 dozen muffins.
>
> *If you don't have buttermilk you can make a reasonable facsimile by
> adding 1 Tbs. white vinegar per cup of milk. It even works with non-fat
> milk. Let it sit for a few minutes, stir well and use as you would the
> buttermilk.
>
> Jill

I have a very similar recipe that came tucked in a utility bill
20-something years ago. It uses less bran but all whole-wheat flour,
which just makes a lot of sense to me.

When the weather turns cold "for keeps" this year I need to make a big
batch of the batter. The oven can help warm the house in the mornings...

Bob