FreewareTown.com

Default Garlic Bread?

I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

Peter Aitken

"FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

You've got to have good bread - forget those supermarket loaves of "Italian"
bread. Then just toast the slices, rub with a peeled garlic clove, and brush
with top quality olive oil.

--
Peter Aitken

Boron Elgar

On 10 Oct 2005 12:54:09 -0700, "FreewareTown.com"
> wrote:

>I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

Melt 1 stick (4 oz butter) with 3-4 finely chopped cloves of garlic
(or to taste).

Slice a long loaf of French or Italian bread lengthwise.

Use a pastry brush to daub the cut sides of the bread with the
garlic/butter mixture, sprinkle lightly with paprika.

Put cut sides together. Wrap loosely in foil and bake at 425 degrees
for 10 - 15 minutes, depending on how crunchy you like the crust to
be.

If you want something simpler, you can substitute jarred chopped or
crushed garlic.

Boron
cathyxyz

FreewareTown.com wrote:
> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

GARLIC BREAD

1 loaf French bread
4 cloves garlic - crushed
1 stick butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp. fresh parsley

STEP 1: In a small saucepan melt butter with oil on low heat. Add 4
cloves garlic to butter and oil and add black pepper and parsley.
Saute for 3 to 5 minutes; stir occasionally.

STEP 2: Slice bread lengthwise. Cut diagonal slices along crusted top
of bread making sure not to cut through.

STEP 3: With a pastry brush, brush on garlic and oil mixture. Along the
top and inside of bread.

STEP 4: Wrap in aluminum foil and twist ends.

STEP 5: Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

Simple enough?
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

kilikini

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> "FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread
> >

> You've got to have good bread - forget those supermarket loaves of

"Italian"
> bread. Then just toast the slices, rub with a peeled garlic clove, and

brush
> with top quality olive oil.

You forgot the parmesan and italian seasoning!

kili

Peter Aitken

"kilikini" > wrote in message
m...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
>> "FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread
>> >

>> You've got to have good bread - forget those supermarket loaves of

> "Italian"
>> bread. Then just toast the slices, rub with a peeled garlic clove, and

> brush
>> with top quality olive oil.
>>

> You forgot the parmesan and italian seasoning!
>
> kili

Nay! The best garlic bread is just garlic and OO. Top quality bread and OO
and it is heaven!

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

Cut a loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then in half again so you have 4
quarters.

Mix softened butter and evoo into a paste adding crushed garlic and some romano
or parmesan cheese.

Line a cookie sheet with foil,

Spread the quarters with the cheese/garlic/butter/oil mixture. Bake in a 350
degrees oven until the crust starts to crisp, about 12 to 15 minutes depending
on the bread and the placement in the oven. Turn on the broiler and broil until
the top is brown and crispy but not burnt. If you like some herbs can be added
at the mixture But I prefer not to do so.

Dimitri

kilikini

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
news
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> >> "FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
> >> >

> >> You've got to have good bread - forget those supermarket loaves of

> > "Italian"
> >> bread. Then just toast the slices, rub with a peeled garlic clove, and

> > brush
> >> with top quality olive oil.
> >>

> > You forgot the parmesan and italian seasoning!
> >
> > kili
> >

> Nay! The best garlic bread is just garlic and OO. Top quality bread and OO
> and it is heaven!

I dunno, I always add that stuff to mine. Doesn't matter, it's all good.

kili

Nancy Young

"Boron Elgar" > wrote

> If you want something simpler, you can substitute jarred chopped or
> crushed garlic.

Thing is, you open the jar and it smells great ... put it in your
food and there just isn't that garlic flavor going on, I really
dislike that stuff. I think all the flavor winds up in the oil or
something. I admit, I am very fussy about garlic.

nancy

Boron Elgar

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:55:41 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>"Boron Elgar" > wrote
>
>> If you want something simpler, you can substitute jarred chopped or
>> crushed garlic.

>Thing is, you open the jar and it smells great ... put it in your
>food and there just isn't that garlic flavor going on, I really
>dislike that stuff. I think all the flavor winds up in the oil or
>something. I admit, I am very fussy about garlic.
>
>nancy

I have been known to keep a jar of it in the fridge for emergencies.
Garlic emergencies are serious stuff.

Boron

Peter Aitken

"kilikini" > wrote in message
m...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> news
>> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> m...

>> > "Italian"
>> > brush
>> >>

>> > You forgot the parmesan and italian seasoning!
>> >
>> > kili
>> >

>> Nay! The best garlic bread is just garlic and OO. Top quality bread and
>> OO
>> and it is heaven!
>>

> I dunno, I always add that stuff to mine. Doesn't matter, it's all good.
>
> kili

Yes indeed, there are many ways to a tasty result.

--
Peter Aitken

Nancy Young

"Boron Elgar" > wrote

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:55:41 -0400, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>>"Boron Elgar" > wrote
>>
>>> If you want something simpler, you can substitute jarred chopped or
>>> crushed garlic.

>>Thing is, you open the jar and it smells great ... put it in your
>>food and there just isn't that garlic flavor going on, I really
>>dislike that stuff. I think all the flavor winds up in the oil or
>>something. I admit, I am very fussy about garlic.

> I have been known to keep a jar of it in the fridge for emergencies.
> Garlic emergencies are serious stuff.

(laugh) You ain't kidding ... I have a jar there myself. I bet that
oil would be good on the bread along with the garlic, might
really be good for that.

nancy

cathyxyz

Boron Elgar wrote:

> I have been known to keep a jar of it in the fridge for emergencies.
> Garlic emergencies are serious stuff.
>
> Boron

One of the "speed dial" numbers on my phone is programmed for "The
Garlic-Emergency Clinic". (1-800-GARLICISBAD). They have councilors on
hand to talk you through the withdrawal symptoms....

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Boron Elgar

On 10 Oct 2005 14:44:00 -0700, "cathyxyz" >
wrote:

>Boron Elgar wrote:
>
>> I have been known to keep a jar of it in the fridge for emergencies.
>> Garlic emergencies are serious stuff.
>>
>> Boron

>One of the "speed dial" numbers on my phone is programmed for "The
>Garlic-Emergency Clinic". (1-800-GARLICISBAD). They have councilors on
>hand to talk you through the withdrawal symptoms....
>
>Cheers
>Cathy(xyz)

When I need my fix, nothing else will do.

Boron
Dave Smith

"FreewareTown.com" wrote:

> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

The easiest way I know to make garlic bread is to crush some
garlic into some good olive oil. slice some nice bread
(Italian loaf or baguette), brush the oil and garlic onto
the bread, wrap it in foil and heat. Alternately, you can
toast some sliced bread and simply rub it with a crushed
garlic clove.

Stan Horwitz

In article .com>,
"FreewareTown.com" > wrote:

> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

Take a loaf of french bread and slice it lengthwise. Spread each side
with butter and then spread crushed garlic on top of the butter. Pop
under a broiler just for a minute or until the bread gets nice and
toasty. It doesn't get much easier than that.
sf

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:40:41 GMT, Dimitri wrote:

> "FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

> Cut a loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then in half again so you have 4
> quarters.
>
> Mix softened butter and evoo into a paste adding crushed garlic and some romano
> or parmesan cheese.
>
> Line a cookie sheet with foil,
>
> Spread the quarters with the cheese/garlic/butter/oil mixture. Bake in a 350
> degrees oven until the crust starts to crisp, about 12 to 15 minutes depending
> on the bread and the placement in the oven. Turn on the broiler and broil until
> the top is brown and crispy but not burnt.

Thanks for posting the *real* way to make garlic bread. Wrapping it
in foil is akin to wrapping potatoes in foil to bake.

> If you like some herbs can be added
> at the mixture But I prefer not to do so.

I like to sprinkle a little dried basil (fresh, if I have any) on it
occasionally.

Bob (this one)

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> "FreewareTown.com" > wrote:
>
>>I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

> Take a loaf of french bread and slice it lengthwise. Spread each side
> with butter and then spread crushed garlic on top of the butter. Pop
> under a broiler just for a minute or until the bread gets nice and
> toasty. It doesn't get much easier than that.

A different approach. It needs a loaf of bread with a French or
Italian-style crust. Take a clove of garlic and rub it firmly on the
entire surface of the bread. The garlic will wear down and deposit
itself on the crust. It may take more than one clove. Use however many
it takes. Slice the bread open along one long side leaving the other
side connected as a hinge. Mash two or three cloves of garlic with about
1/2 teaspoon or so of salt and process that into maybe 1/2 cup olive
oil. Spread/pour that into the opened loaf of bread, getting it as
evenly distributed as possible. More oil, if you like. Close it and pop
into a 300°F oven for about 10 minutes. Slice and serve or just throw it
into the middle of a crowd of hungry people. They'll tear it up and
that's fine, too.

For a wonderfully subtle difference, forget the salt and throw in two or
three anchovy fillets. Smash them and the garlic into a paste, then add
the oil and process together. Finish as above.

Yowzah... as they say along the Mediterranean coast.

Pastorio
Dimitri

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:40:41 GMT, Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "FreewareTown.com" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

>> Cut a loaf of bread in half lengthwise and then in half again so you have 4
>> quarters.
>>
>> Mix softened butter and evoo into a paste adding crushed garlic and some
>> romano
>> or parmesan cheese.
>>
>> Line a cookie sheet with foil,
>>
>> Spread the quarters with the cheese/garlic/butter/oil mixture. Bake in a 350
>> degrees oven until the crust starts to crisp, about 12 to 15 minutes
>> depending
>> on the bread and the placement in the oven. Turn on the broiler and broil
>> until
>> the top is brown and crispy but not burnt.

> Thanks for posting the *real* way to make garlic bread. Wrapping it
> in foil is akin to wrapping potatoes in foil to bake.

You're welcome

Dimitri

jmcquown

FreewareTown.com wrote:
> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

I can't believe no one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it) roasting a head
of garlic at about 350F and then squeezing the garlic paste onto lightly
toasted bread and drizzling with lightly warmed olive oil. To die for!

Jill

Dee Randall

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> FreewareTown.com wrote:
>> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

> I can't believe no one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it) roasting a
> head
> of garlic at about 350F and then squeezing the garlic paste onto lightly
> toasted bread and drizzling with lightly warmed olive oil. To die for!
>
> Jill

Remembering a meal at the Chart House in Alexandria, VA where you can order
a head of garlic and they bring you fresh bread to squeeze it onto.
I most usually do this in the early winter when I buy a 'bunch' of garlic,
hoping at least some of it doesn't fade before it is eaten.
Yes - to die for! (Smacking lips!)
Dee Dee

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> FreewareTown.com wrote:
> > I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

> I can't believe no one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it) roasting a

head
> of garlic at about 350F and then squeezing the garlic paste onto lightly
> toasted bread and drizzling with lightly warmed olive oil. To die for!
>
> Jill

Jill, you're right. It's like butter. I'm slapping my forehead for not
thinking of it earlier. Good call.

kili

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > FreewareTown.com wrote:
> > > I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

> > I can't believe no one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it) roasting a

> head
> > of garlic at about 350F and then squeezing the garlic paste onto lightly
> > toasted bread and drizzling with lightly warmed olive oil. To die for!
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Jill, you're right. It's like butter. I'm slapping my forehead for not
> thinking of it earlier. Good call.
>
> kili

Agreed... :-)
Roasted garlic is the gods!
Especially mixed with butter and a little italian seasoning...
--
Om.

kalanamak

FreewareTown.com wrote:
> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

My secret short cut for good garlic bread is to either simmer minced
garlic in butter, or nuke it if in a pinch, such that the butter is
infused with the garlic taste. You can let it cool and smear some in
between each slice of a not-full-thickness cut loaf of Italian bread, or
you can hold the thus-cut loaf on its end and spoon some of it in each
slice.
Warm briefly in oven (not long slow tinfoil-wrapped warming) and tuck
into a cloth lined bowl with a ceramic warmer in the bottom.
Yum
blacksalt

Mr Libido Incognito

kalanamak wrote on 14 Oct 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> FreewareTown.com wrote:
> > I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread
> >

> My secret short cut for good garlic bread is to either simmer minced
> garlic in butter, or nuke it if in a pinch, such that the butter is
> infused with the garlic taste. You can let it cool and smear some in
> between each slice of a not-full-thickness cut loaf of Italian bread, or
> you can hold the thus-cut loaf on its end and spoon some of it in each
> slice.
> Warm briefly in oven (not long slow tinfoil-wrapped warming) and tuck
> into a cloth lined bowl with a ceramic warmer in the bottom.
> Yum
> blacksalt

My garlic bread recipe involves purchasing garlic butter (in the dairy
case) and a good loaf of jewish rye bread (the kind you almost need a
hacksaw to cut). I slice the bread just as if I was going to making toast,
then butter the bread with the garlic butter (only on 1 side). When I
figure I have enough garlic bread slices prepared; I put them on tin foil
(butter side up) and broil them in the oven till nicely browned.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Siobhan Perricone

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:28:55 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>FreewareTown.com wrote:
>> I need a good and simply recipe for Garlic bread

>I can't believe no one has mentioned (or maybe I missed it) roasting a head
>of garlic at about 350F and then squeezing the garlic paste onto lightly
>toasted bread and drizzling with lightly warmed olive oil. To die for!

I haven't managed to roast garlic properly so that it doesn't come out
tasting bitter. I finally gave up and stopped wasting perfectly good garlic
heads on it.

My garlic bread

I finely mince fresh garlic and get some shredded whole milk mozarella, set
aside. Then I take slices up italian bread or baguette into half in slices
and brush both sides liberally with olive oil, put them on a cookie sheet
and start toasting one side under the broiler. after one side is well
toasted, I turn them over and start them toasting on the other side. Once
they're brown but not too brown, I sprinkle the garlic on top of each round
then top it with the cheese and broil until the cheese is melted and a
little bubbly, and then I serve it right away.

I love bread with chunks of garlic.

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,