Nexis

Default Halloween decorations and party food (and tiny pics :) )

Halloween is a big event around here. And by "around here" I mean, my house.

Over the years, we've collected quite an assemblage of props: larger than
life demons, zombies that appear to be unearthing themselves in front of
gravestones, a tarantula that's 6 feet across, a mummy, a werewolf, a couple
aliens, a vampire or two, lots of webs and smaller tarantulas, etc. Fog from
a machine and some well placed lighting rounds out the effect.

For anyone interested in seeing, here are a few of my favorites, taken in
the daytime of course
http://tinypic.com/eg1evt.jpg --Greetings!
http://tinypic.com/eg1g9h.jpg --Nice Puppy
http://tinypic.com/eg1gex.jpg --Demon
http://tinypic.com/eg1glt.jpg --Dinner Time!
http://tinypic.com/eg1gs9.jpg --Nice Day for a Hanging
http://tinypic.com/eg1gxv.jpg --Zombie meets Mr. Bones & Harry the Rat
http://tinypic.com/eg1jk3.gif --Making your own corpse head
http://tinypic.com/eg1jrp.gif --Making your own Alien
http://tinypic.com/eg1k3p.gif --Making a Hell Hound

Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here decorate for
the Halloween holiday? And do you decorate for most holidays or just a
select few?

Now, way off on another track:
This year we're having our traditional pumpkin carving party, but we'll be
having alot more adults than previous years, and I was hoping for a couple
ideas for food that would go over well with adults and children both. Thanks
in advance!

kimberly

jmcquown

Nexis wrote:
> Halloween is a big event around here.
> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here
> decorate for the Halloween holiday?

I used to... I can't find replacement bulbs for these guys

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95373297ZYUMAe

hidden in the hedges out back by the wall to my patio...

Jill

Bob Terwilliger

Kimberly wrote:

> Over the years, we've collected quite an assemblage of props: larger than
> life demons, zombies that appear to be unearthing themselves in front of
> gravestones, a tarantula that's 6 feet across, a mummy, a werewolf, a
> couple aliens, a vampire or two, lots of webs and smaller tarantulas, etc.
> Fog from a machine and some well placed lighting rounds out the effect.
>
> For anyone interested in seeing, here are a few of my favorites, taken in
> the daytime of course
> http://tinypic.com/eg1evt.jpg --Greetings!
> http://tinypic.com/eg1g9h.jpg --Nice Puppy
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gex.jpg --Demon
> http://tinypic.com/eg1glt.jpg --Dinner Time!
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gs9.jpg --Nice Day for a Hanging
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gxv.jpg --Zombie meets Mr. Bones & Harry the Rat
> http://tinypic.com/eg1jk3.gif --Making your own corpse head
> http://tinypic.com/eg1jrp.gif --Making your own Alien
> http://tinypic.com/eg1k3p.gif --Making a Hell Hound

Impressive!

> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here decorate for
> the Halloween holiday? And do you decorate for most holidays or just a
> select few?

I don't decorate the OUTSIDE of the house, but I do decorate inside. That
goes for just about all the holidays. Still, at least some of my internal
decorations are visible from outside; e.g., I've got a fiber-optic Christmas
tree that I put in a front window. About the only external "decorating" I
do is to fly the flag on Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veteran's Day.
(I don't really think of that as "decorating for the holiday," though.)

> Now, way off on another track:
> This year we're having our traditional pumpkin carving party, but we'll be
> having alot more adults than previous years, and I was hoping for a couple
> ideas for food that would go over well with adults and children both.
> Thanks in advance!

If the kids are old enough to avoid getting burned, I'd recommend fondue.
It's great party fare for this time of year. Spaghetti and meatballs is
another universal favorite. You could make lasagna or pastitsio. Or
skewered chicken with a variety of dipping sauces -- come to think of it,
you could just bake up a bunch of chicken wings (or dismember them into
"drumettes" before baking) and serve them with those dipping sauces. And a
platter of marinated veggies (like that "giardinera mix" I see with the
pickles in my supermarket, though they're *very* easy to make at home) would
probably be a nice accompaniment.

Bob

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article <MQ02f.1203$i%.672@fed1read07>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> http://tinypic.com/eg1glt.jpg

This is my favorite!!! <lol>

Your decorations are very impressive! ;-)

I usually just take a couple of packages of the fake webbing and string
it over the entire front yard, and decorate it with a couple of very
large posable spiders that I bought.

It's AMAZING how far a package of that webbing will go, and the more you
stretch it, the more real it looks.

Cheers!
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

> http://tinypic.com/eg1gs9.jpg

What's he smiling about! ;-o
--
Om.

OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

> Halloween is a big event around here. And by "around here" I mean, my house.
>
> Over the years, we've collected quite an assemblage of props: larger than
> life demons, zombies that appear to be unearthing themselves in front of
> gravestones, a tarantula that's 6 feet across, a mummy, a werewolf, a couple
> aliens, a vampire or two, lots of webs and smaller tarantulas, etc. Fog from
> a machine and some well placed lighting rounds out the effect.
>
> For anyone interested in seeing, here are a few of my favorites, taken in
> the daytime of course
> http://tinypic.com/eg1evt.jpg --Greetings!
> http://tinypic.com/eg1g9h.jpg --Nice Puppy
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gex.jpg --Demon
> http://tinypic.com/eg1glt.jpg --Dinner Time!
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gs9.jpg --Nice Day for a Hanging
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gxv.jpg --Zombie meets Mr. Bones & Harry the Rat
> http://tinypic.com/eg1jk3.gif --Making your own corpse head
> http://tinypic.com/eg1jrp.gif --Making your own Alien
> http://tinypic.com/eg1k3p.gif --Making a Hell Hound
>
> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here decorate for
> the Halloween holiday? And do you decorate for most holidays or just a
> select few?
>
> Now, way off on another track:
> This year we're having our traditional pumpkin carving party, but we'll be
> having alot more adults than previous years, and I was hoping for a couple
> ideas for food that would go over well with adults and children both. Thanks
> in advance!
>
> kimberly

Dipping stuff is always popular and easy.
Hot dips in a crock pot set on low are cool,
little sausages and a cheese tray, and a veggie tray,
crackers, corn chips and potatoe chips,
maybe a small fruit tray.
--
Om.

Ophelia

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Halloween is a big event around here. And by "around here" I mean, my
> house.
> Over the years, we've collected quite an assemblage of props: larger
> than life demons, zombies that appear to be unearthing themselves in
> front of gravestones, a tarantula that's 6 feet across, a mummy, a
> werewolf, a couple aliens, a vampire or two, lots of webs and smaller
> tarantulas, etc. Fog from a machine and some well placed lighting
> rounds out the effect.

Blimey!!!!!!! I am glad I don't live anywhere near you)

Ophelia

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> Nexis wrote:
>> Halloween is a big event around here.
>> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here
>> decorate for the Halloween holiday?
>>

> I used to... I can't find replacement bulbs for these guys
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95373297ZYUMAe
>
> hidden in the hedges out back by the wall to my patio...

LOL you are all a gory lot

OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
> > Nexis wrote:
> >> Halloween is a big event around here.
> >> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here
> >> decorate for the Halloween holiday?
> >>

> > I used to... I can't find replacement bulbs for these guys
> >
> > http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95373297ZYUMAe
> >
> > hidden in the hedges out back by the wall to my patio...

> LOL you are all a gory lot

That's halloween....... ;-)
--
Om.

jmcquown

Ophelia wrote:
> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> Halloween is a big event around here. And by "around here" I mean, my
>> house.
>> Over the years, we've collected quite an assemblage of props: larger
>> than life demons, zombies that appear to be unearthing themselves in
>> front of gravestones, a tarantula that's 6 feet across, a mummy, a
>> werewolf, a couple aliens, a vampire or two, lots of webs and smaller
>> tarantulas, etc. Fog from a machine and some well placed lighting
>> rounds out the effect.

> Blimey!!!!!!! I am glad I don't live anywhere near you)

If I remember correctly, jack-o-lanterns weren't decorative, they were to
scare away the ghosts and goblins that run about on All Hallows Eve. I
think I'll have to get myself a pumpkin and carve it with a scary face. If
I buy the right kind of pumpkin, I can roast the seeds and use the flesh to
make pumpkin soup!

Jill

Margaret Suran

Nexis wrote:
> Halloween is a big event around here. And by "around here" I mean, my house.
>
> Over the years, we've collected quite an assemblage of props: larger than
> life demons, zombies that appear to be unearthing themselves in front of
> gravestones, a tarantula that's 6 feet across, a mummy, a werewolf, a couple
> aliens, a vampire or two, lots of webs and smaller tarantulas, etc. Fog from
> a machine and some well placed lighting rounds out the effect.
>
> For anyone interested in seeing, here are a few of my favorites, taken in
> the daytime of course
> http://tinypic.com/eg1evt.jpg --Greetings!
> http://tinypic.com/eg1g9h.jpg --Nice Puppy
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gex.jpg --Demon
> http://tinypic.com/eg1glt.jpg --Dinner Time!
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gs9.jpg --Nice Day for a Hanging
> http://tinypic.com/eg1gxv.jpg --Zombie meets Mr. Bones & Harry the Rat
> http://tinypic.com/eg1jk3.gif --Making your own corpse head
> http://tinypic.com/eg1jrp.gif --Making your own Alien
> http://tinypic.com/eg1k3p.gif --Making a Hell Hound
>
> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here decorate for
> the Halloween holiday? And do you decorate for most holidays or just a
> select few?
>
> Now, way off on another track:
> This year we're having our traditional pumpkin carving party, but we'll be
> having alot more adults than previous years, and I was hoping for a couple
> ideas for food that would go over well with adults and children both. Thanks
> in advance!
>
> kimberly

Kimberly, your pictures are really scary!

Halloween is just about my favorite holiday. I live in a large
apartment building with many families with children. I will prepare
little bags full of goodies for the kids and this year I will make up
eighty, with more candies at hand, in case more trick or treaters show up.

Here is a picture of my scary pumpkin, Pauline, from last year. I am
afraid that it is not nearly as scary looking as your things. My next
door neighbor decorated it for me.

http://microurl.us/?ox
jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> news >
>> Nexis wrote:
>>> Halloween is a big event around here.
>>> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here
>>> decorate for the Halloween holiday?
>>>

>> I used to... I can't find replacement bulbs for these guys
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95373297ZYUMAe
>>
>> hidden in the hedges out back by the wall to my patio...
>>
>> Jill

> Those are cute.

There were more than those two And they'd blink... but the darn lights
went out like when one bulb burns out on old Christmas lights and none of
them would light or blink. I can't find replacements for this string, which
is sad because they really were cute and kind of scary.

Jill

sf

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 21:16:49 -0700, Nexis wrote:

> Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here decorate for
> the Halloween holiday? And do you decorate for most holidays or just a
> select few?

When my kids were kids, I put up a few things before hand... but
mainly just decorated on the afternoon of the 31st. It was always
fun, but it was mainly scrounged - nothing as elaborabe as what you
showed. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty good (compliments from
grown ups and scared kids)... but it wasn't preplanned. We did silly
things like taking a big box, painting it black and then my son would
spring out of it with a pumpkin head & cape making scary sounds and
shooting silly string at the trick er treaters. That year, his friend
(the banquet waiter) dressed as a pirate and literally "served" them
their treats.
sf

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 00:43:42 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Nexis wrote:
> > Halloween is a big event around here.
> > Okay, enough of that. So I was wondering, how many of us here
> > decorate for the Halloween holiday?
> >

> I used to... I can't find replacement bulbs for these guys
>
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95373297ZYUMAe
>
> hidden in the hedges out back by the wall to my patio...

I LOVE that idea!
sf

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 06:15:00 GMT, Dog3 wrote:

> Those are cute. I'm looking for some type of Halloween cover I can put on
> top of the lamp post out front without it burning, or melting to the lamp
> itself.

Why not use a witch's hat?

> I'll put a black light on the front entry and hang a black,
> sequined rose on the front door.

> I'll have 3 pumpkins leading to the front
> door with -> carved on them.

I like the --> carved into a pumpkin idea... I usually just put out
traditional brown paper bag luminarias.

> In one window I do have a black cat with
> lights on it and another I've got this HUGE blow up witch I bought at
> Walgreens Drug Store, it is lighted on the inside and give off the most
> eerie glow. I have a frog that croaks which I'll stick under one of the
> hostas and I'm not sure what else I'll do. Now, if only we would get some
> trick or treaters.

You've got some gooood stuff!

I used to have a hand where 4 fingers wiggled, but it wore out and I
haven't found a replacement. I used to put it in the basket which the
kids had to reach into to get their candy.

sf

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 04:01:49 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article > ,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > news
> > >>
> > > I used to... I can't find replacement bulbs for these guys
> > >
> > > http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95373297ZYUMAe
> > >
> > > hidden in the hedges out back by the wall to my patio...

> > LOL you are all a gory lot
> >

> That's halloween....... ;-)

It's even more fun where there are a lot of kids to scare.
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 04:01:49 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > In article > ,
> > "Ophelia" > wrote:

> > > LOL you are all a gory lot
> > >

> > That's halloween....... ;-)

> It's even more fun where there are a lot of kids to scare.

That's why I don't go all out anymore.
No trick or treaters on my street. :-(
--
Om.

Nexis

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 04:01:49 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> "Ophelia" > wrote:

>> > LOL you are all a gory lot
>> >

>> That's halloween....... ;-)

> It's even more fun where there are a lot of kids to scare.

Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and what
scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple screaming down
the walkway.

kimberly

sf

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:34:59 -0700, Nexis wrote:

> Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and what
> scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple screaming down
> the walkway.

How did you come by one? Are you in the theater prop business?
Gregory Morrow

Dog3 wrote:

> Those are cute. I'm looking for some type of Halloween cover I can put on
> top of the lamp post out front without it burning, or melting to the lamp
> itself. I'll put a black light on the front entry and hang a black,
> sequined rose on the front door. I'll have 3 pumpkins leading to the front
> door with -> carved on them. In one window I do have a black cat with
> lights on it and another I've got this HUGE blow up witch I bought at
> Walgreens Drug Store, it is lighted on the inside and give off the most
> eerie glow. I have a frog that croaks which I'll stick under one of the
> hostas and I'm not sure what else I'll do. Now, if only we would get some
> trick or treaters.

Don't forget to dress up those black kitty kats of yours...

--
Best
Greg

sf

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:20:34 GMT, Dog3 wrote:

> sf > wrote in
> :
>

> > I used to have a hand where 4 fingers wiggled, but it wore out and I
> > haven't found a replacement. I used to put it in the basket which the
> > kids had to reach into to get their candy.

> Ohhh... I love it. Was the wrist of the hand all bloody?

It had a raw meat look, but no one saw that part. I liked it to look
like it was crawling out of the candy.

sf

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:17:14 GMT, Dog3 wrote:

> If I can get Bart into the garage she's staying there. Hoot will wear her
> little bandana and witch hat. She always runs to the door when the doorbell
> rings. She thinks she can escape because she knows the door will open.
> Missy absolutely refuses any type of 'clothing' and Sheldon looks like he's
> being punished when I put an outfit on him so I don't dress up either of
> the dogs.

tsk, tsk, "Kids"!

Anny Middon

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and what
> scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple screaming down
> the walkway.
>
> kimberly

Kids don't get our Halloween decorations (not that we have more than a
couple).

In 2001 my husband, who *never* wants to put on a costume, decided on his
own to dress for Halloween. He had a "clean room suit" he'd gotten from a
customer when he worked on their food-processing assembly line. 2001 was
the year (you may remember) when October had been spent in an anthrax-scare
frenzy, and his suit looked remarkably like the ones you saw on TV news.
The adults all loved it, but the kids didn't get it.

We have a sign we hang in a front window that says:

Bates Motel
Vacancy

Again, the adults checkle over it while the kids are confused.

Anny

Nexis

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:34:59 -0700, Nexis wrote:
>
>> Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and what
>> scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple screaming
>> down
>> the walkway.

> How did you come by one? Are you in the theater prop business?

No, but I think it would be a blast. I make much of what I have, and the
rest, like the fog machine, can be gotten at one of several great places in
Hollywood that specialize in Halloween props. I figure, why not go to the
source?

kimberly

Nexis

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:34:59 -0700, Nexis wrote:
>
>> Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and what
>> scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple screaming
>> down
>> the walkway.

> How did you come by one? Are you in the theater prop business?

My husband just told me that Party City sells smaller fog machines in their
Halloween section this year. If you have one near you, it might be worth
checking out.

kimberly

Reg

Nexis wrote:

> My husband just told me that Party City sells smaller fog machines in their
> Halloween section this year. If you have one near you, it might be worth
> checking out.

I love fog machines. You can make one also. A large vessel like a
washtub filled with water, with some sort of heating element, and
copious amounts of dry ice thrown in. Be careful, though. The neighbors
may call the fire department.

My other favorite an echo unit plugged into a marshall amp. Great
halloween sound effects. The kids love that.

Anny Middon

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> This year we're having our traditional pumpkin carving party, but we'll be
> having alot more adults than previous years, and I was hoping for a couple
> ideas for food that would go over well with adults and children both.
> Thanks in advance!

Are you looking for just appetizers and desserts, or more of a main dish
kind of thing?

If the latter, I recommend chili. Make it without beans and mild, and then
serve with a variety of condiments, including beans (kept warm in a second
slow cooker or on a hotpad), shredded cheese, chopped hot peppers, chopped
onions, sliced olives, and maybe chunked avocado. Serve with a green salad
and either french bread or corn muffins and your guest should all be happy.

Another idea to consider is spiced apple cider, kept warm in a crockpot.
Put a bottle of brandy next to it so the adults can spike their mugs as they
see fit.

recipesource.com has a lot of Halloween recipes, so if you want eyeball ice
cubes to serve in your tomato juice, there are directions there.

Anny

jmcquown

Anny Middon wrote:
> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>>

>> Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and
>> what scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple
>> screaming down the walkway.
>>
>> kimberly

> Kids don't get our Halloween decorations (not that we have more than a
> couple).
>
> In 2001 my husband, who *never* wants to put on a costume, decided on
> his own to dress for Halloween. He had a "clean room suit" he'd
> gotten from a customer when he worked on their food-processing
> assembly line. 2001 was the year (you may remember) when October had
> been spent in an anthrax-scare frenzy, and his suit looked remarkably
> like the ones you saw on TV news. The adults all loved it, but the
> kids didn't get it.
>
> We have a sign we hang in a front window that says:
>
> Bates Motel
> Vacancy
>
> Again, the adults checkle over it while the kids are confused.
>
> Anny

Aside from the candy and dressing up as witches or superheros, I'm not sure
kids "get" most of the Halloween thing Would be great if you could get
that sign done in neon!

Jill

sf

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:56:55 -0700, Nexis wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:34:59 -0700, Nexis wrote:
> >
> >> Last year, it was hilarious. All of these scary looking props, and what
> >> scared the kiddies the most? The fog machine. Sent a couple screaming
> >> down
> >> the walkway.

> > How did you come by one? Are you in the theater prop business?

> My husband just told me that Party City sells smaller fog machines in their
> Halloween section this year. If you have one near you, it might be worth
> checking out.

http://www.partycity.com looks like the nearest store isn't very
close.
sf

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:11:11 GMT, Reg wrote:

> I love fog machines. You can make one also. A large vessel like a
> washtub filled with water, with some sort of heating element, and
> copious amounts of dry ice thrown in. Be careful, though. The neighbors
> may call the fire department.

What do you use for a heating element? I have a witches pot every
year that has fog/steam coming out of it, but it would be nice to have
more.

Reg

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:11:11 GMT, Reg wrote:
>
>> I love fog machines. You can make one also. A large vessel like a
>> washtub filled with water, with some sort of heating element, and
>> copious amounts of dry ice thrown in. Be careful, though. The neighbors
>> may call the fire department.

> What do you use for a heating element? I have a witches pot every
> year that has fog/steam coming out of it, but it would be nice to have
> more.

For a smaller machine you can use an aquarium heating element
like this one, running at full blast:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...Product=WB1125

You'll need one with more power (wattage) than for an aquarium
because the dry ice lowers the temperature so much.

Many different immersible type heaters will work, too.

Using warm water makes a big difference. It's the key to
getting big, thick fog.

Don't forget to hit it with colored and/or strobe lights!

sf

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:18:56 GMT, Reg wrote:

> Many different immersible type heaters will work, too.

I need specific ideas... no aquarium to steal a heater from, I've
never used an immersable tea heater.... I don't even have a heating
pad anymore. I need ideas for something something I can find at a
thrift store, cheap.

> Using warm water makes a big difference. It's the key to
> getting big, thick fog.

I pour in warm water, but the thick fog lasts as long as the water
stays warm. I get a decent time of fog, but it's not *thick* for
long.

> Don't forget to hit it with colored and/or strobe lights!

Yep, I do that. It's the sustained fog that's a problem. Sounds
weird, coming from me huh? LOL

Roberta

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 07:56:55 -0700, Nexis wrote:

>> > How did you come by one? Are you in the theater prop business?

>> My husband just told me that Party City sells smaller fog machines in their
>> Halloween section this year. If you have one near you, it might be worth
>> checking out.
>>

> http://www.partycity.com looks like the nearest store isn't very
> close.

I have seen them at walmart and target this year

Roberta (in VA)