kalanamak

Default Poway Cook-In

> Charlie he So far all is well although Terry is rather nasty to me s
> so far and I have sold very few Black Velvets!

Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there by
friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
closed on friday.
Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
blacksalt
Debra Fritz

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 05:38:08 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there by
>friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
>closed on friday.
>Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
>blacksalt

Yes, it did ..and thank you. We all got a nice baggie of it to take
home. You have always come through for us and it is very much
appreciated.

Debra
Debra Fritz

Hi all,

It's Debra here..one of the "old timers"... I don't post on the group
much anymore, but lurk around from time to time.

The Poway cookin was great. It was wonderful to see old friends and
meet some new friends...and that's what these cookins are all about.

The food, as usual, was wonderful... the Barto's are gracious hosts
and their new home is magnificent. I can remember when it was still
just a dream for them...and we all had fun teasing them about how they
**had** to host a cookin when it got built.

Well, this is their second cookin...and everyone is thrilled that they
finally got their dream house...and it is as beautiful as they'd
hoped...and so is the view.

I won't spend time on the menu...that's for others to do..but I do
want to say a bit about these "gatherings".

I remember my first cookin...in San Diego... years ago. I had been a
poster for a while, but was scared spitless that my cooking skills
weren't up to those of other folks who were going to attended.

Should I go..should I invent an excuse and not go? I anguished for
weeks...but I decided to go..and had a great time. People welcomed me
with open arms...The things I brought got eaten...and I made some
great friends.

I have been to several cookins since then. L.A. , Northern California,
Seattle, back to San Diego...and each time I have been struck by the
great people who attended...and the honest sincerity of their
friendship.

For those of you who might be feeling a little scared about attending
a cookin, please...go...you will be welcomed and so will any dishes
you bring. Not everyone spends days..or weeks..getting ready for these
things. It's not necessary. Just bring something you are comfortable
serving to company.

You will find a bunch of great people...lot's of good food...and lot's
of laughing, friendship and welcoming of new folks.

Debra
Charles Gifford

"kalanamak" > wrote in message

> > Charlie he So far all is well although Terry is rather nasty to me s
> > so far and I have sold very few Black Velvets!
> >

> Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there by
> friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
> closed on friday.
> Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
> blacksalt

Oh My!! I am so very sorry! I meant to tell you that it got here safe and
sound on Thursday! I am very embarrassed that I forgot this simple courtesy.
Damn! The garam masala was distributed and was greeted with enthusiasm with
many thanks to you!

Again, I am so very sorry.

Charlie

Koko

wrote:

>> Charlie he So far all is well although Terry is rather nasty to me s
>> so far and I have sold very few Black Velvets!
>>

>Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there by
>friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
>closed on friday.
>Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
>blacksalt

Thank you so much for once again taking the time to make it for us. It
seems like our cookin's wouldn't be the same without it.

It is heavenly and has spoiled me for any other.

Koko
A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)
kalanamak

Koko wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 05:38:08 -0700, kalanamak >
> wrote:
>

> >> Charlie he So far all is well although Terry is rather nasty to me s
> >> so far and I have sold very few Black Velvets!
> >>

> >Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there by
> >friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
> >closed on friday.
> >Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
> >blacksalt

> Thank you so much for once again taking the time to make it for us. It
> seems like our cookin's wouldn't be the same without it.
>
> It is heavenly and has spoiled me for any other.

So glad it arrived. I so spooked the hub about it, he brought back a
tracking slip and told me I could "follow it on the internet".
For those not at the cook-in, you can make it yourself. The recipe is a
"short cut" garam masala....like the gm in, say, a Madhur Jaffrey
cookbook, with the cumin and coriander the recipe will then call for
already in it. Compare with the concept of "pumpkin pie spice".
It is a natural with many foods, including chili, and I hear makes a
good chicken rub. I got the recipe from my ex-MIL Ajmir.

2 C whole coriander
1 cup whole cumin
3 inches fat cinnamon
3 heaping teas of whole clove
5 teas. whole black pepper
scant single teas. of ajwain (optional)
7-8 whole green cardamon pods
For a slightly smokey version, use one big black cardamon pod for the
green.

Grind as you please, a grain mill or a bit at a time in an electric
coffee mill, sifting in a tamais and regrinding that which is too big to
assure a powdery substance. Store in freezer in glass.
blacksalt
Michael Odom

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:22:02 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Koko wrote:

>> >Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there by
>> >friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
>> >closed on friday.
>> >Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
>> >blacksalt

>> Thank you so much for once again taking the time to make it for us. It
>> seems like our cookin's wouldn't be the same without it.
>>
>> It is heavenly and has spoiled me for any other.

>So glad it arrived. I so spooked the hub about it, he brought back a
>tracking slip and told me I could "follow it on the internet".
> For those not at the cook-in, you can make it yourself. The recipe is a
>"short cut" garam masala....like the gm in, say, a Madhur Jaffrey
>cookbook, with the cumin and coriander the recipe will then call for
>already in it. Compare with the concept of "pumpkin pie spice".
>It is a natural with many foods, including chili, and I hear makes a
>good chicken rub. I got the recipe from my ex-MIL Ajmir.
>
> 2 C whole coriander
> 1 cup whole cumin
> 3 inches fat cinnamon
> 3 heaping teas of whole clove
> 5 teas. whole black pepper
> scant single teas. of ajwain (optional)
> 7-8 whole green cardamon pods
>For a slightly smokey version, use one big black cardamon pod for the
>green.
>
>Grind as you please, a grain mill or a bit at a time in an electric
>coffee mill, sifting in a tamais and regrinding that which is too big to
>assure a powdery substance. Store in freezer in glass.
>blacksalt

Thanks! Could you please explain what fat cinnamon is? Also ajwain.

I've often used pumpkin pie spice in barbecue rubs, so I know what you
mean.

modom
telmgren

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> Koko wrote:

me s

> > >Did the garam masala make it?!! The PO **promised** it would be there

by
> > >friday, but I got no mail friday and it crossed my mind the PO was
> > >closed on friday.
> > >Then again, our deliverer is very late, often.
> > >blacksalt

> > Thank you so much for once again taking the time to make it for us. It
> > seems like our cookin's wouldn't be the same without it.
> >
> > It is heavenly and has spoiled me for any other.

> So glad it arrived. I so spooked the hub about it, he brought back a
> tracking slip and told me I could "follow it on the internet".
> For those not at the cook-in, you can make it yourself. The recipe is a
> "short cut" garam masala....like the gm in, say, a Madhur Jaffrey
> cookbook, with the cumin and coriander the recipe will then call for
> already in it. Compare with the concept of "pumpkin pie spice".
> It is a natural with many foods, including chili, and I hear makes a
> good chicken rub. I got the recipe from my ex-MIL Ajmir.
>
> 2 C whole coriander
> 1 cup whole cumin
> 3 inches fat cinnamon
> 3 heaping teas of whole clove
> 5 teas. whole black pepper
> scant single teas. of ajwain (optional)
> 7-8 whole green cardamon pods
> For a slightly smokey version, use one big black cardamon pod for the
> green.
>
> Grind as you please, a grain mill or a bit at a time in an electric
> coffee mill, sifting in a tamais and regrinding that which is too big to
> assure a powdery substance. Store in freezer in glass.
> blacksalt

This looks wonderful! Thank you! I have a question for you? I LOVE the
taste of Cardamon, but I have trouble finding the pods. Do you have any
suggestions on good places to look? I live in the deep south so it will
probably be the internet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dimitri

"Debra Fritz" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> It's Debra here..one of the "old timers"... I don't post on the group
> much anymore, but lurk around from time to time.
>
> The Poway cookin was great. It was wonderful to see old friends and
> meet some new friends...and that's what these cookins are all about.
>
> The food, as usual, was wonderful... the Barto's are gracious hosts
> and their new home is magnificent. I can remember when it was still
> just a dream for them...and we all had fun teasing them about how they
> **had** to host a cookin when it got built.
>
> Well, this is their second cookin...and everyone is thrilled that they
> finally got their dream house...and it is as beautiful as they'd
> hoped...and so is the view.
>
> I won't spend time on the menu...that's for others to do..but I do
> want to say a bit about these "gatherings".
>
> I remember my first cookin...in San Diego... years ago. I had been a
> poster for a while, but was scared spitless that my cooking skills
> weren't up to those of other folks who were going to attended.
>
> Should I go..should I invent an excuse and not go? I anguished for
> weeks...but I decided to go..and had a great time. People welcomed me
> with open arms...The things I brought got eaten...and I made some
> great friends.
>
> I have been to several cookins since then. L.A. , Northern California,
> Seattle, back to San Diego...and each time I have been struck by the
> great people who attended...and the honest sincerity of their
> friendship.
>
> For those of you who might be feeling a little scared about attending
> a cookin, please...go...you will be welcomed and so will any dishes
> you bring. Not everyone spends days..or weeks..getting ready for these
> things. It's not necessary. Just bring something you are comfortable
> serving to company.
>
> You will find a bunch of great people...lot's of good food...and lot's
> of laughing, friendship and welcoming of new folks.
>
> Debra

Great advise....

I wish I had been able to make it myself.

Like the Nike ads say "just do it"

Dimitri

hahabogus

"telmgren" > wrote in
. com:

> This looks wonderful! Thank you! I have a question for you? I LOVE the
> taste of Cardamon, but I have trouble finding the pods. Do you have any
> suggestions on good places to look? I live in the deep south so it will
> probably be the internet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The favorite spice company reccomended by many on the NewsGroup is Penzeys
Spices. www.penzeys.com

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
kalanamak

Michael Odom wrote:

> Thanks! Could you please explain what fat cinnamon is? Also ajwain.
>
> I've often used pumpkin pie spice in barbecue rubs, so I know what you
> mean.
>
> modom

It means a fat stick of cinn. Make it a longer peice if it is a slim
jim.
Ajwain, aka adjwain, or adjwon (most like the pronunciation) is a seed
available at Penzey's (fresh) or at Indian markets (age unknown). It is
like a cross between one part celery seed and two parts randy thyme. You
can leave it out. The seeds are terrific in a few dishes, including a
chicken dish my ex loved, and they keep pretty well in glass jar. And
they are cheap. Give them a whirl.
blacksalt
kalanamak

telmgren wrote:

> This looks wonderful! Thank you! I have a question for you? I LOVE the
> taste of Cardamon, but I have trouble finding the pods. Do you have any
> suggestions on good places to look? I live in the deep south so it will
> probably be the internet, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Indian markets. I get mine at Penzey's, and have found the seeds alone
are cheaper because they are 100% spice. The pod I use in making chai,
or use to simmer in milk when making ras malai.
blacksalt
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 21:49:18 GMT, "Dimitri" >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>I wish I had been able to make it myself.
>
>Like the Nike ads say "just do it"

You were missed, old bean.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Regime Change Begins At Home."

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Jamie utters

Debra Fritz > wrote in message >. ..
> Hi all,
>
> It's Debra here..one of the "old timers"... I don't post on the group
> much anymore, but lurk around from time to time.
>
> The Poway cookin was great. It was wonderful to see old friends and
> meet some new friends...and that's what these cookins are all about.

(snip)
> I won't spend time on the menu...that's for others to do..but I do
> want to say a bit about these "gatherings".
>
> I remember my first cookin...in San Diego... years ago.

(snip)
> Should I go..should I invent an excuse and not go? I anguished for
> weeks...but I decided to go..and had a great time. People welcomed me
> with open arms...The things I brought got eaten...and I made some
> great friends.
>
> I have been to several cookins since then. L.A. , Northern California,
> Seattle, back to San Diego...and each time I have been struck by the
> great people who attended...and the honest sincerity of their
> friendship.
>
> For those of you who might be feeling a little scared about attending
> a cookin, please...go...you will be welcomed and so will any dishes
> you bring.

(snip)

> You will find a bunch of great people...lot's of good food...and lot's
> of laughing, friendship and welcoming of new folks.
>
> Debra

Don't listen to her.

I know from personal experience. She's just looking for an opportunity
to be mean to people. She's been really mean to me. I was there when
she went to her first cook-in in San Diego at Jim Drinkin's house.
She forced me to eat her Nainamo Bars. And she insisted I take the
recipe. I must've put on thirty pounds. She made me eat her tri tip.
Made me take the recipe for that too.
The list of times she's been mean to me is too long to list here. I
just had to jump in and warn you people. Watch out. That's what I say.

Jamie

Michael Odom

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 17:00:02 -0700, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Michael Odom wrote:
>
>> Thanks! Could you please explain what fat cinnamon is? Also ajwain.
>>
>> I've often used pumpkin pie spice in barbecue rubs, so I know what you
>> mean.
>>
>> modom

>It means a fat stick of cinn. Make it a longer peice if it is a slim
>jim.
>Ajwain, aka adjwain, or adjwon (most like the pronunciation) is a seed
>available at Penzey's (fresh) or at Indian markets (age unknown). It is
>like a cross between one part celery seed and two parts randy thyme. You
>can leave it out. The seeds are terrific in a few dishes, including a
>chicken dish my ex loved, and they keep pretty well in glass jar. And
>they are cheap. Give them a whirl.
>blacksalt

Roger. I'll also try to work on having a randy time this weekend.

Sorry.

modom
hahabogus

(Jamie utters) wrote in
om:

> Debra Fritz > wrote in message
> >. ..
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's Debra here..one of the "old timers"... I don't post on the group
>> much anymore, but lurk around from time to time.
>>
>> The Poway cookin was great. It was wonderful to see old friends and
>> meet some new friends...and that's what these cookins are all about.

> (snip)
>> I won't spend time on the menu...that's for others to do..but I do
>> want to say a bit about these "gatherings".
>>
>> I remember my first cookin...in San Diego... years ago.

> (snip)
>> Should I go..should I invent an excuse and not go? I anguished for
>> weeks...but I decided to go..and had a great time. People welcomed me
>> with open arms...The things I brought got eaten...and I made some
>> great friends.
>>
>> I have been to several cookins since then. L.A. , Northern
>> California, Seattle, back to San Diego...and each time I have been
>> struck by the great people who attended...and the honest sincerity of
>> their friendship.
>>
>> For those of you who might be feeling a little scared about attending
>> a cookin, please...go...you will be welcomed and so will any dishes
>> you bring.

> (snip)
>>
>> You will find a bunch of great people...lot's of good food...and
>> lot's of laughing, friendship and welcoming of new folks.
>>
>> Debra

> Don't listen to her.
>
> I know from personal experience. She's just looking for an opportunity
> to be mean to people. She's been really mean to me. I was there when
> she went to her first cook-in in San Diego at Jim Drinkin's house.
> She forced me to eat her Nainamo Bars. And she insisted I take the
> recipe. I must've put on thirty pounds. She made me eat her tri tip.
> Made me take the recipe for that too.
> The list of times she's been mean to me is too long to list here. I
> just had to jump in and warn you people. Watch out. That's what I say.
>
> Jamie

Yeah! But you made her drink the Saphire Gin.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
kalanamak

Michael Odom wrote:

> Roger. I'll also try to work on having a randy time this weekend.

Try this one:

Ajwain-flavoured chicken
from M. Jaffrey's Spice Kitchen
Cut 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into one inch cubes.
Cover with
1 teas black pepper
1/4 teas turneric
1/4 teas or more cayenne
1 teas ground cumin
1/2 teas ajawin seeds whole
3/4 teas salt
1-2 cloves garlic crushed
1 T. vege.oil
stir and let sit for 30 minutes
Put 2 more T oil in a wok and stir fry until lightly browned
(I stop here until the the first guests arrive)
Place in a baking dish and cover with oiled wax paper (so that the paper
touches the chicken) and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 F.
Serve.
It's labeled an appetizer.
Terry Pulliam Burd

On 18 Jun 2004 10:05:59 -0700, (Jamie utters)
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>Debra Fritz > wrote in message >. ..
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It's Debra here..one of the "old timers"... I don't post on the group
>> much anymore, but lurk around from time to time.

>I know from personal experience. She's just looking for an opportunity
>to be mean to people. She's been really mean to me. I was there when
>she went to her first cook-in in San Diego at Jim Drinkin's house.
>She forced me to eat her Nainamo Bars. And she insisted I take the
>recipe. I must've put on thirty pounds. She made me eat her tri tip.
>Made me take the recipe for that too.
>The list of times she's been mean to me is too long to list here. I
>just had to jump in and warn you people. Watch out. That's what I say.

And right you are, Jamie! I cannot *count* the number of people,
including Debra, who were mean to me by making me eat their cooking
and drink their alcohol. Mean, mean, mean! HA! I had *my* revenge! I
was mean back! It was a horrible party. Everyone was miserable. No one
socialized.

Okay, you SoCal people - let's not talk this up too much, okay? I
mean, what if some NoCal people showed up? Or some AZ or NV people
came? Not to mention Baja California! Where does it end? We'd have to
have the cookin at the fairgrounds, for cryin' out loud! Ssshhhh! It's
our little secret.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
good dinner." Duncan Hines

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Charles Gifford

"Jamie utters" > wrote in message
om...

> Don't listen to her.
>
> I know from personal experience. She's just looking for an opportunity
> to be mean to people. She's been really mean to me. I was there when
> she went to her first cook-in in San Diego at Jim Drinkin's house.
> She forced me to eat her Nainamo Bars. And she insisted I take the
> recipe. I must've put on thirty pounds. She made me eat her tri tip.
> Made me take the recipe for that too.
> The list of times she's been mean to me is too long to list here. I
> just had to jump in and warn you people. Watch out. That's what I say.
>
> Jamie

Don't listen to her.

Jamie can be just as mean as Debra although Debra is a master. Debra also
forced us to eat that salmon cheesecake. And take the recipe - although it
is too complicated for me! If she had accomplished nothing else in life, her
way with tri-tips would qualify her for sainthood. That was a good
Cook-In! I'm sorry JimDrinkin wasn't able to attend this year. He went to
Tennessee for a Hippy week event.

Charlie
P.S., thank you for making the margaritas this year Jamie!