Terry Pulliam Burd

Default San Diego Cookin (Okay, Poway Cookin) 2 REC

My two humble offerings:

Title: Shrimp And Crab Ceviche With Avocado
Categories: appetizers
Yield: 12 servings

1/2 lb plum tomatoes; halved,
-seeded
1 lg red bell pepper; halved,
-seeded
1 lg jalapeno chili; halved,
-seeded
1 md white onion; cut into 6
-wedges
6 tb lime juice
2 tb orange juice
1 tb catsup
1 ts horseradish
1/2 ts Tabasco sauce
1 lb cooked large shrimp; peeled,
- deveined
; cut in 1/2
; lengthwise
1/2 c tomato; chopped
1/2 c cilantro; chopped
1 green onion; chopped
1 ripe avocado; halved,
-pitted, peel
1/2 lb crabmeat; drained, picked
; over

Preheat broiler. Place tomato halves, bell pepper and jalapeno, skin
side
up, on baking sheet. Place onion on baking sheet. Broil vegetables
until
slightly blackened, about 5 mins. Transfer vegetables to blender. Add
lime
juice and next 4 ingredients. Blend until almost smooth. Transfer to
large
bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold. (Can be
prepared
1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.)

Add shrimp to sauce. Mix in chopped tomato, cilantro and green onion.
Cube
avocado half. Slice other half. Fold avocado cubes and crab into
ceviche.
Garnish with avocado slices and serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Don't let the length of this recipe fool you: it's dead easy.

Contributor: Bon Appetit
@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Country Pate

appetizers

1 teaspoon black pepper
24 allspice berries
6 cloves
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 pounds veal shoulder; coarse ground
2 1/4 pounds pork shoulder; coarse ground
1 teaspoon garlic; minced
1/3 cup shallots; chopped
1/4 ounces dried porcini mushrooms; chopped into 1/4 inch
1/3 cup pistachio nuts
1/3 cup white wine
2 tablespoon cognac
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon + 2 tsp. salt
1/2 pounds veal shoulder
4 ounces chicken livers
1/4 teaspoon black pepper; freshly ground
1 tablespoon cognac
6 - 8 ounces caul fat
4 ounces cooked country ham; sliced into strips
1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme

Using a spice grinder, process the first five ingredients. Put the
ground
meats in a large mixing bowl. Add the spices, garlic, shallots,
mushroom
pieces, pistachio nuts, white wine, cognac, cornstarch, the 1
tablespoon of
salt and mix well with your hands (I used my Kitchen Aid and its flat
paddle - worked fine). Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit
in
the refrigerator for 2 - 7 days.

Slice the piece of veal into long strips, about 1/2" thick, put them
in a
small bowl with the chicken livers, and toss with the 2 teapoons of
salt,
pepper and cognac. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let it sit in
the
refrigerator for 2 - 7 days.

Assemble the pate as follows in a 5 1/2 cup rectangular terrine or
equivalent-size mold or loaf pan:

Gently untangle the caul fat and nudge it into the terrine and letting
the
excess drape outside the terrine. Gently press 1/3 of the veal/pork
forcemeat into the bottom of the mold to make an even layer about 1"
thick.
On top of the meat, arrange about half the veal strips end to end, to
form 2 evenly spaced rows, running the length of the mold. Press
another
layer of forcemeant, about 1/2" thick, over the veal, and set the
chicken
livers in a long row down the middle of the mold, laying some of the
ham
strips end to end to form 2 rows on either side. Press half the
remaining
forcemeant over livers and ham. Make 2 rols of the remaining veal,
with a
row of the remaining ham in the middle. Press the rest of the
forecemeat
to cover the maet strips, shaping it to form a smooth loaf. Turn the
overhanging edges of caul fat to cover the pate neatly, trimming off
any
excess.

Cover the pate closely with a double or triple thickness of aluminum
foil
and crimp tightly around the top of the mold to seal. Set the mold in
roasting pan, place it in the oven, and add enough lukewarm water to
come
halfway up the side of the mold. Bake for about 1 3/4 hours at 325°F,
making sure the water never boils, until the internal temperature
reaches
150°F.

Lift the mold out of the water and remove from the oven when done.
Allow
the pate to cool, still covered. Refrigerate at least overnight, but
preferably at least 2 days and up to 7, before serving. Serve with
Dijon
mustard and crusty bread.

Contributor: Julia & Jacques, Cooking at Home

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Regime Change Begins At Home."

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Koko

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:02:08 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>My two humble offerings:

Humble, puleeze.

Anything but humble. I could have floundered on the pate alone.

I was looking forward to taking some of the pate home, but by the time
I was ready to leave it was gone :-(
This is a must make for me.

Thank you for making it, I know it was a challenge getting the right
equipment and ingredients but it was worth all the effort.
Best I've ever had, what a treat.

It was only exceeded by the company in which it was eaten

Koko

Great recipes snipped

A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:09:14 -0700, Koko >
arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:02:08 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:
>
>>My two humble offerings:

>Humble, puleeze.
>
>Anything but humble. I could have floundered on the pate alone.

<snip>

Yeah, right. I can't imagine you floundering on *anything* in or out
of a kitchen, girlie! And that pate is actually dead easy. Your date
offering, however, was absolutely heavenly and I've already printed it
out for a Father's Day gathering. The weird thing is, I don't actually
*like* dates, but I loved, loved that recipe!

BTW, did I embarrass myself when I actually knocked Charlie over to
get to the the platter ahead of him? <g>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Regime Change Begins At Home."

To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"
Charles Gifford

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
Your date
> offering, however, was absolutely heavenly and I've already printed it
> out for a Father's Day gathering. The weird thing is, I don't actually
> *like* dates, but I loved, loved that recipe!

Make sure you get some of the really good dates from Indio.

> BTW, did I embarrass myself when I actually knocked Charlie over to
> get to the the platter ahead of him? <g>

Naw. You just saw 'em first. I lurve date thinggies!

Charlie

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>
> "Regime Change Begins At Home."
>
> To reply, remove replace "spaminator" with "cox"

hahabogus

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Naw. You just saw 'em first. I lurve date thinggies!
>
> Charlie

You'll just have to 'get in training' earlier next year.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.

Orion

hahabogus > wrote in message >.. .
> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>
> > Naw. You just saw 'em first. I lurve date thinggies!
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> You'll just have to 'get in training' earlier next year.

But next year there will be another obstacle in his way..............
me.

Suzan who couldn't make it but seeing all this wonderful food posted
will definately be there next year and is hoping to make the hotluck
if she can get there
Charles Gifford

"Orion" > wrote in message
m...
> hahabogus > wrote in message

>.. .
> > "Charles Gifford" > wrote in
> > nk.net:
> >
> > > Naw. You just saw 'em first. I lurve date thinggies!
> > >
> > > Charlie
> > >

> > You'll just have to 'get in training' earlier next year.

> But next year there will be another obstacle in his way..............
> me.

I become hysterical when the date thingies are ready! They have become a
Sandy Eggo Cook-In tradition. My goodness! They are good!

> Suzan who couldn't make it but seeing all this wonderful food posted
> will definately be there next year

Perhaps next year you can ride in the back and I will wear my chauffeur's
cap and call you madam (or would you prefer M'Lady?).

> and is hoping to make the hotluck
> if she can get there

NOTE: Hotluck is a Sandy Eggo thing.

Going to the Hotluck? Jim Lane who was at the cook-in will be attending. I
am thinking about it though I am not able to eat hot stuff anymore. My old
physical system can't handle it. I'll let you know if I can arrange my
schedule for it and perhaps we can share the heat together! I might make a
hellatious vindaloo.

Charlie

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 02:19:25 GMT, "Charles Gifford"

>Going to the Hotluck? Jim Lane who was at the cook-in will be attending. I
>am thinking about it though I am not able to eat hot stuff anymore. My old
>physical system can't handle it. I'll let you know if I can arrange my
>schedule for it and perhaps we can share the heat together! I might make a
>hellatious vindaloo.
>
>Charlie

What is this Hotluck thing?

Inquiring minds want to know

Christine

JimLane

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 02:19:25 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>

>>Going to the Hotluck? Jim Lane who was at the cook-in will be attending. I
>>am thinking about it though I am not able to eat hot stuff anymore. My old
>>physical system can't handle it. I'll let you know if I can arrange my
>>schedule for it and perhaps we can share the heat together! I might make a
>>hellatious vindaloo.
>>
>>Charlie

> What is this Hotluck thing?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know
>
> Christine

It's a San Diego potluck oriented around hot and spicy (chili) foods.
Lotsa chili, but not everything, according to those who have attended,
is blow the top of your head off hot. I have an email from one of the
organizers and will put some information up later today/tonight.

jim

Rich McCormack

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 02:19:25 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
>

>>Going to the Hotluck? Jim Lane who was at the cook-in will be attending. I
>>am thinking about it though I am not able to eat hot stuff anymore. My old
>>physical system can't handle it. I'll let you know if I can arrange my
>>schedule for it and perhaps we can share the heat together! I might make a
>>hellatious vindaloo.
>>
>>Charlie

> What is this Hotluck thing?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know
>
> Christine

Similar to a Cook-In, with an emphasis on chiles and pungent spices.
Lotsa "hot stuff" is offered, but not all the food is meant only for
hard-core chileheads. The offerings are generally from cuisines that
use chiles and spice in abundance (Thai, Tex-Mex, Indian, African,
etc.) but can also include foods that might not traditionally call for
chiles but, benefit from the inclusion of chiles. If you ask and/or
take small tastes before digging in, you'll be OK and find plenty to
eat in your heat range. Warning, though...if someone offers you a
piece (even a very small piece) of The Bread, don't partake unless
you're used to HOT.

Rich

Orion

> > > You'll just have to 'get in training' earlier next year. Terry PB
> >
> > But next year there will be another obstacle in his way..............

me. Orion/Suzan

> I become hysterical when the date thingies are ready! They have become a

Sandy Eggo Cook-In tradition. My goodness! They are good! Charles

> > Suzan who couldn't make it but seeing all this wonderful food posted

will definately be there next year Orion/Suzan

> Perhaps next year you can ride in the back and I will wear my chauffeur's

cap and call you madam (or would you prefer M'Lady?). Charles

*******As I said in a post minutes ago, far ****ing out! I'll have to call
you Charles in that case, and madam is just what the girls call me. They're
all off to Gila Bend @ the moment on sabatical.**********

> > and is hoping to make the hotluck if she can get there Orion/Suzan

> NOTE: Hotluck is a Sandy Eggo thing.
>
> Going to the Hotluck? Jim Lane who was at the cook-in will be attending. I

am thinking about it though I am not able to eat hot stuff anymore. My old
physical system can't handle it. I'll let you know if I can arrange my
schedule for it and perhaps we can share the heat together! I might make a
hellatious vindaloo.

> Charlie

Vindaloo huh? I'm on vacation and refuse to look things up, so what may
that be?? Did you know that "captain morgan's" is quite good in chai tea?

Suzan

Orion

> >> You'll just have to 'get in training' earlier next year.

> >But next year there will be another obstacle in his way..............
> >me.
> >
> >Suzan who couldn't make it but seeing all this wonderful food posted will

definately be there next year and is hoping to make the hotluck if she can
get there

> Okay, you guys, as soon as Charlie notifies us of the date of the next

cookin, I'll start training at the gym. You guys are toast. (OB :-)

> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Oh, you're on. I got my walkometer or whatever the hell they call if from
Mickey Dees. Fine print... may not be accurate on uneven ground, if wearing
sandles or if you drag your feet. Seriously. What a bunch of maroons.

Suzan

Puester

Rich McCormack wrote:

> Similar to a Cook-In, with an emphasis on chiles and pungent spices.
> Lotsa "hot stuff" is offered, but not all the food is meant only for
> hard-core chileheads. The offerings are generally from cuisines that
> use chiles and spice in abundance (Thai, Tex-Mex, Indian, African,
> etc.) but can also include foods that might not traditionally call for
> chiles but, benefit from the inclusion of chiles. If you ask and/or
> take small tastes before digging in, you'll be OK and find plenty to
> eat in your heat range. Warning, though...if someone offers you a
> piece (even a very small piece) of The Bread, don't partake unless
> you're used to HOT.
>
> Rich

Powegians really know how to party!

gloria p
who has often spent time there.
Charles Gifford

"Orion" > wrote in message

> > > But next year there will be another obstacle in his way..............

> me. Orion/Suzan
> >
> > I become hysterical when the date thingies are ready! They have become a

> Sandy Eggo Cook-In tradition. My goodness! They are good! Charles
>
> > > Suzan who couldn't make it but seeing all this wonderful food posted

> will definately be there next year Orion/Suzan
> >
> > Perhaps next year you can ride in the back and I will wear my

chauffeur's
> cap and call you madam (or would you prefer M'Lady?). Charles
>
> *******As I said in a post minutes ago, far ****ing out! I'll have to

call
> you Charles in that case, and madam is just what the girls call me.

They're
> all off to Gila Bend @ the moment on sabatical.**********

Gila Bend? Monster cooking?

> > > and is hoping to make the hotluck if she can get there Orion/Suzan

> > NOTE: Hotluck is a Sandy Eggo thing.
> >
> > Going to the Hotluck? Jim Lane who was at the cook-in will be attending.

> am thinking about it though I am not able to eat hot stuff anymore. My old
> physical system can't handle it. I'll let you know if I can arrange my
> schedule for it and perhaps we can share the heat together! I might make a
> hellatious vindaloo.
> >
> > Charlie
> >

> Vindaloo huh? I'm on vacation and refuse to look things up, so what may
> that be??

Lumped in with Indian food. It is from Goa and is Portuguese in origin. Hot
as hell pork dish. Penzey's has a great recipe for it.

> Did you know that "captain morgan's" is quite good in chai tea?

Vanilla flavored rum in chai tea - makes sense.

Charlie

> Suzan

Rich McCormack

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Orion" > wrote in message

>>Vindaloo huh? I'm on vacation and refuse to look things up, so what may
>>that be??

> Lumped in with Indian food. It is from Goa and is Portuguese in origin. Hot
> as hell pork dish. Penzey's has a great recipe for it.

Hi Charlie,

We've used Penzey's vindaloo recipe a couple times. First time was
in honor of a friend visiting from foggy NorCal. He'd mentioned his
love of hot Thai and Indian food and said restaurants would never
make it hot enough for him. Patti decided to make pork vindaloo
using Penzey's seasoning and recipe. The recipe calls for 2-5 TB
vindaloo seasoning, and to make it "authentic fiery hot" suggests
adding an equal amount of ground cayenne chile. So, for a couple
pounds of pork, Patti used 5 tablespoons each, vindaloo seasoning and
cayenne chile. Whoa...! From the look on the guy's face, as he
struggled a bit with each bite, we figured someone had finally made
it HOT enough for him. Next time we made it, we tamed it down a
little. It was still plenty hot enough to bring a sweat to the
forehead, but a little easier to get through the initial plateful
and go back for seconds.

Rich

Charles Gifford

"Rich McCormack" > wrote in message
m...

> Charles Gifford wrote:
>
> > "Orion" > wrote in message

> >>Vindaloo huh? I'm on vacation and refuse to look things up, so what may
> >>that be??

> > Lumped in with Indian food. It is from Goa and is Portuguese in origin.

Hot
> > as hell pork dish. Penzey's has a great recipe for it.

> Hi Charlie,
>
> We've used Penzey's vindaloo recipe a couple times. First time was
> in honor of a friend visiting from foggy NorCal. He'd mentioned his
> love of hot Thai and Indian food and said restaurants would never
> make it hot enough for him. Patti decided to make pork vindaloo
> using Penzey's seasoning and recipe. The recipe calls for 2-5 TB
> vindaloo seasoning, and to make it "authentic fiery hot" suggests
> adding an equal amount of ground cayenne chile. So, for a couple
> pounds of pork, Patti used 5 tablespoons each, vindaloo seasoning and
> cayenne chile. Whoa...! From the look on the guy's face, as he
> struggled a bit with each bite, we figured someone had finally made
> it HOT enough for him. Next time we made it, we tamed it down a
> little. It was still plenty hot enough to bring a sweat to the
> forehead, but a little easier to get through the initial plateful
> and go back for seconds.
>
> Rich

Hee, Hee! That's how to make it! The Penzey's recipe is very good indeed. I
really like their Rogan Josh as well (using their Rogan Josh mix). It is so
good that it is one of my standard lamb recipes for company.

Charlie, thinking of "beads of sweat on the forehead" and wishing he could
still eat such delights