Damsel in dis Dress

Default REC - Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

My wonderful aunt Jackie passed peacefully at about 11 this morning. This
is one of her recipes that we made all the time. If you like a truly chewy
cookie, this one's for you.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe By :Jackie Fast
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies

2 cups brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces sour cream
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups all-purpose flour
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts -- optional

Combine ingredients in order given. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto
baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes a soft, chewy cookie that freezes well. Freeze whatever
you're not going to eat within the next 48 hours, because they dry up
pretty fast. That's usually not a problem. ;-)
Margaret Suran

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> My wonderful aunt Jackie passed peacefully at about 11 this
> morning. This is one of her recipes that we made all the time. If
> you like a truly chewy cookie, this one's for you.

I am sorry for your terrible loss. My sympathy and love are with you,

MS
Mr Libido Incognito

Damsel in dis Dress wrote on 15 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> My wonderful aunt Jackie passed peacefully at about 11 this morning.
> This is one of her recipes that we made all the time. If you like a
> truly chewy cookie, this one's for you.

Those are a good cookie. Sorry to hear of your loss.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Chris

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
news
> My wonderful aunt Jackie passed peacefully at about 11 this morning.
> This
> is one of her recipes that we made all the time. If you like a truly
> chewy
> cookie, this one's for you.

Ah Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt Jackie. I'm glad her
passing was peaceful.

Thanks for sharing her recipe. The other day, I was at the supermarket,
and needed some sour cream for fajitas. I put a big tub into my cart,
hesitated, and then added another, even though I really didn't need it.

So I'm glad to have the recipe and will give it a try this weekend. I
think we need some cookies around here (it was a tough week for my
8-year-old, who has just discovered that 3rd graders get a lot more
homework than 2nd graders!). Sounds like you could use some comfort
food, too.

Chris

Nancy Young

"Chris" > wrote

> Thanks for sharing her recipe. The other day, I was at the supermarket,
> and needed some sour cream for fajitas. I put a big tub into my cart,
> hesitated, and then added another, even though I really didn't need it.

Isn't that strange, I was just wondering this morning, why did I buy that
extra container of sour cream last week? Couldn't think why I did that,
now I know.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress

"Nancy Young" > said:

> "Chris" > wrote
>
> > Thanks for sharing her recipe. The other day, I was at the supermarket,
> > and needed some sour cream for fajitas. I put a big tub into my cart,
> > hesitated, and then added another, even though I really didn't need it.

> Isn't that strange, I was just wondering this morning, why did I buy that
> extra container of sour cream last week? Couldn't think why I did that,
> now I know.

The women in my family have always been pretty pushy. That was my mom
forcing you to buy dairy products. LOL! Thanks for bringing some
happiness to my heavy heart. We're baking some of Jackie's cookies this
weekend, too.

Jackie and Mom are probably busy whipping up some of their famous homemade
dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and caramel rolls. And fry bread from the
leftovers. And on the Other Side, nothing is fattening!

Carol, feeling a tad better
Syssi

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
news
> My wonderful aunt Jackie passed peacefully at about 11 this morning. This
> is one of her recipes that we made all the time. If you like a truly
> chewy
> cookie, this one's for you.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

<snipping recipe>
==========

Gosh Dams, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Meanwhile, I'll save your recipe and always think of 'special aunts'
whenever I see/make it. {{Hugs}}

--
Syssi

Jen

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> "Nancy Young" > said:
>
>> "Chris" > wrote
>>
>> > Thanks for sharing her recipe. The other day, I was at the
>> > supermarket,
>> > and needed some sour cream for fajitas. I put a big tub into my cart,
>> > hesitated, and then added another, even though I really didn't need it.

>> Isn't that strange, I was just wondering this morning, why did I buy that
>> extra container of sour cream last week? Couldn't think why I did that,
>> now I know.

> The women in my family have always been pretty pushy. That was my mom
> forcing you to buy dairy products. LOL! Thanks for bringing some
> happiness to my heavy heart. We're baking some of Jackie's cookies this
> weekend, too.
>
> Jackie and Mom are probably busy whipping up some of their famous homemade
> dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and caramel rolls. And fry bread from the
> leftovers. And on the Other Side, nothing is fattening!
>
> Carol, feeling a tad better

Did I hear ?Caramel Rolls? I have this thing for caramel. I think your
aunt must have been a very special person with some great cooking ideas. If
you could pass on the Caramel Rolls recipe I would really appreciate it.

Sorry for your loss

Jen

Damsel in dis Dress

"Jen" > said:

> Did I hear ?Caramel Rolls? I have this thing for caramel. I think your
> aunt must have been a very special person with some great cooking ideas. If
> you could pass on the Caramel Rolls recipe I would really appreciate it.

I wish I could tell you how to make them. The actual recipe is just for
the dough itself. And when I've posted it in the past, droves of people
have wondered why any of us are still alive, because the dough contains
eggs, and it sits out overnight. I'll post it below, but I won't be
responsible of you drop dead from eating the rolls.

Jackie and I had this annual thing. Thanksgiving would roll around and I'd
call her to find out how to make the various rolls. Then we'd shoot the
breeze for awhile.

Based on my faulty memory, I would say start with a sweet yeast dough
(frozen would probably be just fine). Roll it out as thinly as you can
without creating holes. Sprinkle brown sugar over the dough. Distribute
dots of butter over the brown sugar. Add chopped nuts, if desired. Roll
the whole mess up and slice into pinwheels. Allow to rise, then bake at
375F for 25-30 minutes.

This is one of those things you just *know,* unfortunately. Seems to me
you'd put this on parchment paper nowadays. Then when the rolls are done,
flip the whole pan load over and the caramel from the bottom will now be on
the top and will ooze down through the rolls.

> Sorry for your loss

Thanks. It's starting to get better.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Overnight Buns

Recipe By :Pat Zastera and Jackie Fast
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :16:00
Categories :

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 cups water
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon salt
4 large eggs -- beaten
1 packet yeast
13 cups flour

START NO LATER THAN 6 PM. 3 PM IS BETTER.

1. Boil sugar and water for 5 minutes. Add shortening and cool.

2. Add salt, eggs, and yeast, then enough flour for a medium dough.

3. Knead dough, let rise covered with floursack cloth, and punch down 3
hours later.

4. Make into buns at bedtime and let set out overnight, covered with
cloth.

Bake at 375F.

15-20 minutes for dinner rolls and buns
25-30 minutes for caramel and cinnamon rolls.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Damsel in dis Dress

I have put a picture of Jackie up on my Yahoo! pictures site. It's the
last picture in the last album:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Carol
The Joneses

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > said:
>
> > "Chris" > wrote
> >
> > > Thanks for sharing her recipe. The other day, I was at the supermarket,
> > > and needed some sour cream for fajitas. I put a big tub into my cart,
> > > hesitated, and then added another, even though I really didn't need it.

> > Isn't that strange, I was just wondering this morning, why did I buy that
> > extra container of sour cream last week? Couldn't think why I did that,
> > now I know.

> The women in my family have always been pretty pushy. That was my mom
> forcing you to buy dairy products. LOL! Thanks for bringing some
> happiness to my heavy heart. We're baking some of Jackie's cookies this
> weekend, too.
>
> Jackie and Mom are probably busy whipping up some of their famous homemade
> dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, and caramel rolls. And fry bread from the
> leftovers. And on the Other Side, nothing is fattening!
>
> Carol, feeling a tad better

Your loss, but heaven's gain. It's fun to whip up stuff our loved ones loved.
Boy, these look good.
Edrena

Camperz4

I'm so sorry that your Aunt Jackie has passed away. What a beautiful lady
she was, thanks for sharing her picture with us and her recipes too. Wish I
could have known her.
Miriam
"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> I have put a picture of Jackie up on my Yahoo! pictures site. It's the
> last picture in the last album:
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
>
> Carol

Damsel in dis Dress

"Camperz4" > said:

> I'm so sorry that your Aunt Jackie has passed away. What a beautiful lady
> she was, thanks for sharing her picture with us and her recipes too. Wish I
> could have known her.
> Miriam

Thanks, and you're welcome. She raised four outstanding children (all in
their 50's now, but they're still the kids), all over-achievers. She and
my mom cooked and baked everything from scratch. I think that cake mixes
were their only transgressions. I wish you could have known her, too. I'm
glad she's not suffering anymore.

Carol