Default Spiced cauliflower stuffed Indian bread (Gobi Paratha)

Hi all:

Here is a recipe for the traditional Gobi Paratha.

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=153

Ronnie

Phred

In article .com>,
wrote:
>Here is a recipe for the traditional Gobi Paratha.

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=153

G'day Ronnie,

There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
omlette?

Twenty years ago I spent a few months travelling in the rural parts of
southern India (from Bhopal south -- left Bhopal a couple of weeks
before the chemical disaster there) and enjoyed the greatest omlettes
I've ever eaten for breakfast each day for a couple of weeks while in
Madya Pradesh. They were absolutely *delicious*.

Of course, I should have made equiries at the time, but didn't. I've
since tried to reconstruct the things, without success, and I haven't
managed to stumble over a satisfactory recipe either.

Any hints on how to make the things, mate?

Thanks for your time.

[Addendum: The latest Tudogs Newsletter is promoting a site for
Indian recipes <http://www.indianchild.com/indian_recipes.htm>.
Care to comment on their credibility? (they don't construct a very
competent web page, FWTW!
<http://www.indianchild.com/indian_spices.htm> ]

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Good day Phred,

My recipe for Indian omlette is:

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=15
You should also add chopped fresh tomatoes, dice them into very small
pieces and it will be nice...indian green chillies add to the flavor.

About the indianchild.com website, the recipes seem good for what they
have, there are certain different recipes, but that is the way in
India, depending on where the author is from, his ingredients and
addition to the recipe would change. Yes, the website does need a
makeover!

I hope this helps you.

Rupen

elaine

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Good day Phred,
>
> My recipe for Indian omlette is:

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=15
> You should also add chopped fresh tomatoes, dice them into very small
> pieces and it will be nice...indian green chillies add to the flavor.

Thanks for this. I'm always looking for different ways to cook eggs for
breakfast. Instead of green chillies, would it be ok to use chile paste? I
very rarely have green chillies on hand.

Elaine

Victor Sack

Phred > wrote:

> There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
> wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
> omlette?

I would say there are as many general ways to cook an omelette in India
as there are various peoples and regions, in addition to personal
variations. Here is a Bengali recipe I posted some years ago,
translated from _Küchen der Welt: Indien_ by Marcela and Bikash
Kumar.

Omelette in Curry Sauce
Omlet Kari

Serves 6

6 eggs
salt
8 tablespoons oil
250 g (9 oz) waxy potatoes
3 medium-sized onions
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon "sweet" paprika powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1. Beat the eggs and some salt.

2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and pour in half of the beaten eggs.
Make an omelette over medium heat, frying it for 1-2 minutes on each
side, until golden-brown. Take it out and put on a plate. Make a
second omelette the same way.

3. Fold each omelette twice, making a longish roll. Cut each roll
across in 6 pieces. Set aside.

4. Rinse and peel the potatoes and cut in cubes of about 3 cm (1.2 in).
Peel and chop the onions. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and fry
the onions over medium heat until golden. Add the spices and some salt
to taste and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.

5. Add 350 ml (1.5 cup) water and the potatoes, and bring to the boil.
Cook, covered, over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the omelette
pieces and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes are ready.
Serve with rice or naan bread.

Victor

Phred

In article . com>, wrote:
>Good day Phred,
>
>My recipe for Indian omlette is:

http://www.rupenrao.com/recipe.asp?rid=15
>You should also add chopped fresh tomatoes, dice them into very small
>pieces and it will be nice...indian green chillies add to the flavor.
>
>About the indianchild.com website, the recipes seem good for what they
>have, there are certain different recipes, but that is the way in
>India, depending on where the author is from, his ingredients and
>addition to the recipe would change. Yes, the website does need a
>makeover!
>
>I hope this helps you.

Thanks very much, mate. I'll give your recipe a try. Thanks for the
advice, and the comment on that other site. All the best.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Phred

Thanks for this, Vic. Sounds like an interesting brew. The biggest
problem with doing Indian cooking here is the lack of "bread" (naan
etc., etc.) I suppose one *could* make it, but you really need a good
stone oven to do it properly! :-)

In article >,
(Victor Sack) wrote:
>Phred > wrote:
>
>> There's something I've been meaning to ask you (and any others who
>> wish to comment) for some time now: How do you cook an Indian
>> omlette?

>I would say there are as many general ways to cook an omelette in India
>as there are various peoples and regions, in addition to personal
>variations. Here is a Bengali recipe I posted some years ago,
>translated from _Küchen der Welt: Indien_ by Marcela and Bikash
>Kumar.
>
> Omelette in Curry Sauce
> Omlet Kari
>
> Serves 6
>
>6 eggs
>salt
>8 tablespoons oil
>250 g (9 oz) waxy potatoes
>3 medium-sized onions
>1 teaspoon turmeric powder
>1 teaspoon cumin powder
>1 teaspoon "sweet" paprika powder
>1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>
>1. Beat the eggs and some salt.
>
>2. Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and pour in half of the beaten eggs.
>Make an omelette over medium heat, frying it for 1-2 minutes on each
>side, until golden-brown. Take it out and put on a plate. Make a
>second omelette the same way.
>
>3. Fold each omelette twice, making a longish roll. Cut each roll
>across in 6 pieces. Set aside.
>
>4. Rinse and peel the potatoes and cut in cubes of about 3 cm (1.2 in).
>Peel and chop the onions. Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a saucepan and fry
>the onions over medium heat until golden. Add the spices and some salt
>to taste and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring.
>
>5. Add 350 ml (1.5 cup) water and the potatoes, and bring to the boil.
>Cook, covered, over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add the omelette
>pieces and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the potatoes are ready.
>Serve with rice or naan bread.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Victor Sack

Phred > wrote:

> The biggest
> problem with doing Indian cooking here is the lack of "bread" (naan
> etc., etc.) I suppose one *could* make it, but you really need a good
> stone oven to do it properly! :-)

Clay, actually, if it is a traditional tandoor. Build your own (not
clay)! :-) See
<http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island/3012/page2.htm> for
instructions. The link is from the List O' Links for alt.food.asian
blacksalt posts occasionally.

Victor

Yes you can, it will be a little noticable difference, thats it!