Desert Rainbow

Default Thickener for syrup?

Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

Dave Smith

Desert Rainbow wrote:

> Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
> to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
> thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
> it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
> there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

Yes..... sugar. Perhaps you could have used less corn starch does tend to
thicken when set. You may be able to rescue it by adding some more water
and perhaps more lemon juice to it.

maxine in ri

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:35:19 -0700, "Desert Rainbow"
> connected the dots and wrote:

~Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca
starch
~to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
~thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
~it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened.
Is
~there a better thickener I could use for syrup.
~

What about simmering the simple syrup down until it is the right
consistancy on it's own, then adding the lemon? A syrup will retain
it's consistancy when cooled.

Also, some thickeners work better with acidic ingredients than others.

maxine in ri
Margaret Suran

Dave Smith wrote:
> Desert Rainbow wrote:
>

>>Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
>>to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
>>thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
>>it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
>>there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

> Yes..... sugar. Perhaps you could have used less corn starch does tend to
> thicken when set. You may be able to rescue it by adding some more water
> and perhaps more lemon juice to it.

The more sugar you use and the longer you boil away some of the water
or other liquid, the thicker the syrup will be.
JimLane

Nola wrote:
> On 5-Sep-2005, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

>>Desert Rainbow wrote:
>>

>>>Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
>>>to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
>>>thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
>>>it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
>>>there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

>>Yes..... sugar. Perhaps you could have used less corn starch does tend to
>>thicken when set. You may be able to rescue it by adding some more water
>>and perhaps more lemon juice to it.

> What question were you answering? The OP was about syrup thickened with
> tapioca starch, not corn starch. The problem was that, after cooling, the
> syrup was no longer thick; adding water and lemon juice, as you suggest
> would make matters worse.

Actually, the problem is it became TOO thick when it cooled.

Use less starch?

jim

Sheldon

Desert Rainbow wrote:
> Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
> to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
> thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
> it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
> there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

Actually what you made is a sauce, not a syrup.

Sheldon

Jen

So does someone have a good recipe for a sauce or syrup or whatever. I
usually have pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and I know someone who
has just lemonjuice and sugar, a lemon syrup sounds yummy, but I wouldn't
know where to start.

Jen

"Desert Rainbow" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
> to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
> thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
> it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
> there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 10:37:33p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> So does someone have a good recipe for a sauce or syrup or whatever. I
> usually have pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and I know someone who
> has just lemonjuice and sugar, a lemon syrup sounds yummy, but I wouldn't
> know where to start.

Combine 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup water in a small nonreactive
saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is completely
dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until
mixture is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. It
will become slightly thicker on cooling.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Jen

That seems to answer the other persons question as well. There's no need
for a thickener!!!

Thankyou so much, again.

Jen

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 10:37:33p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> So does someone have a good recipe for a sauce or syrup or whatever. I
>> usually have pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and I know someone who
>> has just lemonjuice and sugar, a lemon syrup sounds yummy, but I wouldn't
>> know where to start.

> Combine 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup water in a small
> nonreactive
> saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is completely
> dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook
> until
> mixture is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
> It
> will become slightly thicker on cooling.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.

Jen

Ooops!! I just realized you didn't say how much sugar, you've just go lemon
juice and water.

Jen

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 10:37:33p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> So does someone have a good recipe for a sauce or syrup or whatever. I
>> usually have pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and I know someone who
>> has just lemonjuice and sugar, a lemon syrup sounds yummy, but I wouldn't
>> know where to start.

> Combine 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup water in a small
> nonreactive
> saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is completely
> dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook
> until
> mixture is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
> It
> will become slightly thicker on cooling.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 05 Sep 2005 11:19:11p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ooops!! I just realized you didn't say how much sugar, you've just go
> lemon juice and water.
>
> Jen
>

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 10:37:33p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> So does someone have a good recipe for a sauce or syrup or whatever.
>>> I usually have pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and I know
>>> someone who has just lemonjuice and sugar, a lemon syrup sounds yummy,
>>> but I wouldn't know where to start.

>> Combine 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup water in a small
>> nonreactive saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is
>> completely dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat
>> and cook until mixture is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and
>> let cool completely. It
>> will become slightly thicker on cooling.

Oops, you're right! That should be 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup
sugar. There is no water. However, if you find that too tart, use part
water in the 2/3 cup of total liquid.

Sorry, Jen.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Jen

That's OK. I won't be making it yet. I'll put it away in my recipe folder.

Jen

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 05 Sep 2005 11:19:11p, Jen wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Ooops!! I just realized you didn't say how much sugar, you've just go
>> lemon juice and water.
>>
>> Jen

>>> Combine 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup water in a small
>>> nonreactive saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is
>>> completely dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat
>>> and cook until mixture is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat and
>>> let cool completely. It
>>> will become slightly thicker on cooling.

> Oops, you're right! That should be 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup
> sugar. There is no water. However, if you find that too tart, use part
> water in the 2/3 cup of total liquid.
>
> Sorry, Jen.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.

Mr Libido Incognito

Wayne Boatwright wrote on 06 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Combine 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice with 1/2 cup water in a small
> nonreactive saucepan. Cover and cook over low heat until the sugar is
> completely dissolved. Uncover and bring to a boil over medium-high
> heat and cook until mixture is slightly syrupy. Remove from the heat
> and let cool completely. It will become slightly thicker on cooling.

A simple syrup is equal parts water and sugar. So my best guess would be 1
cups lemon juice and 1 cups sugar. Mixing up the sugar...say 1/2
granulated, 1/2 brown and a glob of corn syrup would add to its' flavour
nicely. This would last a long time in the fridge.

Waynes idea about cutting the lemon juice with water might make it less
strongly flavoured. In which case 1/3 cup water, 2/3 cups lemon juice and 1
cup sugar might have a nicer but milder taste. Full strength lemon
juice might be a tad strong flavour-wise. Again I'd use different sugars
for a more complex taste...possibly adding 1 tsp ground ginger or 1 tsp
vanilla extract as well. The use of some lemon zest in this wouldn't be
amiss (say 1 tsp or so).

Now here's a recipe from a website for orange syrup...I'm pretty sure you
could replace the OJ concentrate for Lemonade concentrate or limeade
concentrate.

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/syrup/syrup.html

Orange Syrup

Wonderful for French toast!

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup butter
1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate

In a small saucepan combine sugar, butter and orange juice concentrate.
Place over low heat until butter is melted. Do not boil. Remove from heat
and cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

Beat until slightly thickened and serve warm. Orange syrup will keep in the
refrigerator for several weeks.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

or

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fresh Lemonade Syrup

Recipe By : CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
Serving Size : 5.5 cups Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Lemonade Basic Recipes

3 c sugar
1 c boiling water
3 c lemon juice
2 tb grated lemon peel

In a 1 to 1 1/2-qt. heat-proof container, dissolve sugar in
boiling water. Cool. Add lemon juice and peel; mix well.
Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

TO PREPARE LEMONADE: For 1 serving, combine 1/4 to 1/3 cup
syrup and 3/4 cup cold water in a glass; stir well. For 8
servings, combine 2-2/3 cups syrup and 5 cups cold water in
a 2-qt. pitcher; stir well.

Added by rec.food.recipes Johnson

ate : 2002-05-02
Source
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...h_Lemonade_Syr
up37397.shtml
:Prep/CookTime : < 30 minutes
ifficulty : 2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Shaun aRe

"JimLane" > wrote in message
> Nola wrote:

> >>Yes..... sugar. Perhaps you could have used less corn starch does tend

> >>thicken when set. You may be able to rescue it by adding some more water
> >>and perhaps more lemon juice to it.

> > What question were you answering? The OP was about syrup thickened with
> > tapioca starch, not corn starch. The problem was that, after cooling,

the
> > syrup was no longer thick; adding water and lemon juice, as you suggest
> > would make matters worse.
> >

> Actually, the problem is it became TOO thick when it cooled.

And that's what: "But when it cooled down it lost almost all its viscosity."
means is it?

Shaun aRe

Sheldon

Jen wrote:
> So does someone have a good recipe for a sauce or syrup or whatever. I
> usually have pancakes with butter and maple syrup, and I know someone who
> has just lemonjuice and sugar, a lemon syrup sounds yummy, but I wouldn't
> know where to start.

Syrups are so simple I would feel insulted having to list any... but
there are literally thousands of sauces appropriate for topping griddle
cakes ... here's a most basic version... can be adapted to any flavor.

Blueberry sauce
1 pound frozen blueberries, thawed, undrained
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons apple juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 knob unsalted butter (optional)

Bring blueberries, 1/2 cup apple juice and sugar to boil in heavy
medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until reduced to 2 cups, about
15 minutes. Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in remaining 2 tablespoons
apple juice and add to blueberry mixture. Add lemon juice. Bring to
boil, stirring constantly; simmer until thick, about 1 minute. Stir in
butter until blended (optional). Cool slightly. (Can be made 2 days
ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before
serving.)

Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 06 Sep 2005 03:26:51a, Shaun aRe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "JimLane" > wrote in message
>> Nola wrote:

>> > What question were you answering? The OP was about syrup thickened
>> > with tapioca starch, not corn starch. The problem was that, after
>> > cooling, the syrup was no longer thick; adding water and lemon juice,
>> > as you suggest would make matters worse.
>> >

>> Actually, the problem is it became TOO thick when it cooled.

> And that's what: "But when it cooled down it lost almost all its
> viscosity." means is it?
>
> Shaun aRe

:-)

OTOH, I guess a solid has no viscosity. :-))

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Shaun aRe

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 06 Sep 2005 03:26:51a, Shaun aRe wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Actually, the problem is it became TOO thick when it cooled.

> > And that's what: "But when it cooled down it lost almost all its
> > viscosity." means is it?
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> :-)
>
> OTOH, I guess a solid has no viscosity. :-))

That's just SEMANTICS damnit! Heheheh...

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Dimitri

"Desert Rainbow" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I made some lemon syrup for pancakes and used tapioca starch
> to thicken it. It was still warm with just the right consistency and
> thickness when I served it with the pancakes. But when it cooled down
> it lost almost all its viscosity. I don't understand what happened. Is
> there a better thickener I could use for syrup.

Heat - no thickener requited:

Just like Maple syrup.

Dimitri

Thread Stage
230° F-235° F
sugar concentration: 80%

At this relatively low temperature, there is still a lot of water left in the
syrup. When you drop a little of this syrup into cold water to cool, it forms a
liquid thread that will not ball up.

Cooking sugar syrup to this stage gives you not candy, but syrup-something you
might make to pour over ice cream.
1. Soft-Ball Stage
235° F-240° F
sugar concentration: 85%

At this temperature, sugar syrup dropped into cold water will form a soft,
flexible ball. If you remove the ball from water, it will flatten like a pancake
after a few moments in your hand.

Fudge, pralines, and fondant are made by cooking ingredients to the soft-ball
stage.
Quicktime | RealPlayer
2. Firm-Ball Stage
245° F-250° F
sugar concentration: 87%

Drop a little of this syrup in cold water and it will form a firm ball, one that
won't flatten when you take it out of the water, but remains malleable and will
flatten when squeezed.

Caramels are cooked to the firm-ball stage.
Quicktime | RealPlayer
3. Hard-Ball Stage
250° F-265° F
sugar concentration: 92%

At this stage, the syrup will form thick, "ropy" threads as it drips from the
spoon. The sugar concentration is rather high now, which means there's less and
less moisture in the sugar syrup. A little of this syrup dropped into cold water
will form a hard ball. If you take the ball out of the water, it won't flatten.
The ball will be hard, but you can still change its shape by squashing it.

Nougat, marshmallows, gummies, divinity, and rock candy are cooked to the
hard-ball stage.
Quicktime | RealPlayer
4. Soft-Crack Stage
270° F-290° F
sugar concentration: 95%

As the syrup reached soft-crack stage, the bubbles on top will become smaller,
thicker, and closer together. At this stage, the moisture content is low. When
you drop a bit of this syrup into cold water, it will solidify into threads
that, when removed from the water, are flexible, not brittle. They will bend
slightly before breaking.

Sal****er taffy and butterscotch are cooked to the soft-crack stage.
Quicktime | RealPlayer
5. Hard-Crack Stage
300° F-310° F
Sugar concentration: 99%

The hard-crack stage is the highest temperature you are likely to see specified
in a candy recipe. At these temperatures, there is almost no water left in the
syrup. Drop a little of the molten syrup in cold water and it will form hard,
brittle threads that break when bent. CAUTION: To avoid burns, allow the syrup
to cool in the cold water for a few moments before touching it!

Toffee, nut brittles, and lollipops are all cooked to the hard-crack stage.
Quicktime | RealPlayer

Caramelizing Sugar
If you heat a sugar syrup to temperatures higher than any of the candy stages,
you will be on your way to creating caramelized sugar (the brown liquid stage)-a
rich addition to many desserts.
Clear-Liquid Stage
320° F
sugar concentration: 100%

At this temperature all the water has boiled away. The remaining sugar is liquid
and light amber in color.
Brown-Liquid Stage
338° F
sugar concentration: 100%

Now the liquefied sugar turns brown in color due to carmelization. The sugar is
beginning to break down and form many complex compounds that contribute to a
richer flavor.

Caramelized sugar is used for dessert decorations and can also be used to give a
candy coating to nuts.
Burnt-Sugar Stage
350° F
sugar concentration: 100%

Watch out! Above about 350° F, the sugar begins to burn and develops a bitter,
burnt taste.