biig

Default convection roaster ovens

Does anyone have one of these table top roaster ovens? I bought one
at a yard sale (yes, another yard sale find) for 10.00 that had only
been used once. I neglected to ask if the instructions were with it.
It looks like it's never been used and I'm anxious to give it a try. I
googled with no usable results. Tia....Sharon
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 03 Sep 2005 12:46:17p, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Does anyone have one of these table top roaster ovens? I bought one
> at a yard sale (yes, another yard sale find) for 10.00 that had only
> been used once. I neglected to ask if the instructions were with it.
> It looks like it's never been used and I'm anxious to give it a try. I
> googled with no usable results. Tia....Sharon

In general, reduce your temperature by 25 degrees F. The cooking time will
probably be somewhat shorter as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
biig

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 12:46:17p, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Does anyone have one of these table top roaster ovens? I bought one
> > at a yard sale (yes, another yard sale find) for 10.00 that had only
> > been used once. I neglected to ask if the instructions were with it.
> > It looks like it's never been used and I'm anxious to give it a try. I
> > googled with no usable results. Tia....Sharon
> >

> In general, reduce your temperature by 25 degrees F. The cooking time will
> probably be somewhat shorter as well.

Thanks Wayne. Does this mean that you can basically use any recipe
that you'd put into your oven and shorten the time and temp? I guess I
had better get up early the next few mornings and try to find the
info-mercial that sells them. This one is a Canadian brand and it seems
that their web site doesn't respond any more...maybe they aren't in
business any more. If I can figure out how to use it, it will have been
a good "find". .....Sharon

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.

Mr Libido Incognito

biig wrote on 03 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Thanks Wayne. Does this mean that you can basically use any recipe
> that you'd put into your oven and shorten the time and temp? I
> guess I had better get up early the next few mornings and try to
> find the info-mercial that sells them. This one is a Canadian brand
> and it seems that their web site doesn't respond any more...maybe
> they aren't in business any more. If I can figure out how to use
> it, it will have been a good "find". .....Sharon
> >
> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Another thing to consider is that convection ovens cook with moving hot
air...So the items being cooked need to sit where the moving air can hit
them...raised-up in a pan...If you use a high walled pan or a pan with a
lid, it will effect the timing and temperature required, by sheltering
the food from the direct hot air .

Or as I like to say the foods must be exposed to the burning winds to
convection cook. I say a lot of stuff to myself. They do chicken very,
very nicely. Same with pizza.

Instructions for basic cooking with any convection oven should remain the
same from brand to brand. So check out another site. The differences will
be where the power buton is and how to work the timer etc.

My qualifications?....I have and use a convection microwave.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 03 Sep 2005 02:08:57p, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 12:46:17p, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>

>> > Does anyone have one of these table top roaster ovens? I bought
>> > one
>> > at a yard sale (yes, another yard sale find) for 10.00 that had only
>> > been used once. I neglected to ask if the instructions were with it.
>> > It looks like it's never been used and I'm anxious to give it a try.
>> > I googled with no usable results. Tia....Sharon
>> >

>> In general, reduce your temperature by 25 degrees F. The cooking time
>> will probably be somewhat shorter as well.

> Thanks Wayne. Does this mean that you can basically use any recipe
> that you'd put into your oven and shorten the time and temp? I guess I
> had better get up early the next few mornings and try to find the
> info-mercial that sells them. This one is a Canadian brand and it seems
> that their web site doesn't respond any more...maybe they aren't in
> business any more. If I can figure out how to use it, it will have been
> a good "find". .....Sharon

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, you can use any recipe and shorten the time
and reduce the temp. What is the brand?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

biig

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 03 Sep 2005 02:08:57p, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

> > Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> In general, reduce your temperature by 25 degrees F. The cooking time
> >> will probably be somewhat shorter as well.

> > Thanks Wayne. Does this mean that you can basically use any recipe
> > that you'd put into your oven and shorten the time and temp? I guess I
> > had better get up early the next few mornings and try to find the
> > info-mercial that sells them. This one is a Canadian brand and it seems
> > that their web site doesn't respond any more...maybe they aren't in
> > business any more. If I can figure out how to use it, it will have been
> > a good "find". .....Sharon

> Sorry for the late reply. Yes, you can use any recipe and shorten the time
> and reduce the temp. What is the brand?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

It's DCI, made in China, but sold from Quebec. I've never heard of
this brand before. I'm wondering if it's like washers/dryers/stoves,
etc. and no matter what brand it is, it has the same quality components
as well known brands. My son worked in a restaurant and said they would
take chicken wings directly from the freezer and they were cooked in 6
minutes in a commercial unit. Thanks....Sharon

> My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
> unless there are three other people.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 04 Sep 2005 04:12:44a, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> It's DCI, made in China, but sold from Quebec. I've never heard of
> this brand before. I'm wondering if it's like washers/dryers/stoves,
> etc. and no matter what brand it is, it has the same quality components
> as well known brands. My son worked in a restaurant and said they would
> take chicken wings directly from the freezer and they were cooked in 6
> minutes in a commercial unit. Thanks....Sharon

I think I found a reference to the same website, too, but it says "page not
found". None of the other sites appeared to be about convection ovens.
"DCI" apparently means several different things.

The commercial units most likely have more heat and more air. That is really
quick! While it will be much faster in your oven, I doubt it will be quite
that fast.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.
Phred

In article >, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>On Sun 04 Sep 2005 04:12:44a, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> It's DCI, made in China, but sold from Quebec. I've never heard of
>> this brand before. I'm wondering if it's like washers/dryers/stoves,
>> etc. and no matter what brand it is, it has the same quality components
>> as well known brands. My son worked in a restaurant and said they would
>> take chicken wings directly from the freezer and they were cooked in 6
>> minutes in a commercial unit. Thanks....Sharon

>I think I found a reference to the same website, too, but it says "page not
>found". None of the other sites appeared to be about convection ovens.
>"DCI" apparently means several different things.
>
>The commercial units most likely have more heat and more air. That is really
>quick! While it will be much faster in your oven, I doubt it will be quite
>that fast.

I was tempted to buy one of these table-top gizmos myself recently as
my conventional oven is stuffed and I really would like to be able to
roast something again!

But I've never been sure about how well they would work. I have the
impression from the few comments in this thread that they work quite
well -- at least for some things.

I did a bit of "research" at the time I was looking around, and one
caution I would mention is that, if it's anything like the models
available here in the deep north of the deep south, they get very
*hot* and need to be treated appropriately with that in mind.

Of course, the other option is to buy a gas barbecue with a "lid" that
apparently does well for roasting and similar -- with the *big*
advantage that you can park it outside and keep the heat out of the
house in summer.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

biig

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

> biig wrote on 03 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Thanks Wayne. Does this mean that you can basically use any recipe
> > that you'd put into your oven and shorten the time and temp? I
> > guess I had better get up early the next few mornings and try to
> > find the info-mercial that sells them. This one is a Canadian brand
> > and it seems that their web site doesn't respond any more...maybe
> > they aren't in business any more. If I can figure out how to use
> > it, it will have been a good "find". .....Sharon
> > >
> > > --
> > > Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Another thing to consider is that convection ovens cook with moving hot
> air...So the items being cooked need to sit where the moving air can hit
> them...raised-up in a pan...If you use a high walled pan or a pan with a
> lid, it will effect the timing and temperature required, by sheltering
> the food from the direct hot air .
>
> Or as I like to say the foods must be exposed to the burning winds to
> convection cook. I say a lot of stuff to myself. They do chicken very,
> very nicely. Same with pizza.
>
> Instructions for basic cooking with any convection oven should remain the
> same from brand to brand. So check out another site. The differences will
> be where the power buton is and how to work the timer etc.
>
> My qualifications?....I have and use a convection microwave.

What brand is yours??? Sharon

> --
> The eyes are the mirrors....
> But the ears...Ah the ears.
> The ears keep the hat up.

Mr Libido Incognito

biig wrote on 04 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> What brand is yours??? Sharon

Panasonic.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

biig

Phred wrote:

> In article >, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >On Sun 04 Sep 2005 04:12:44a, biig wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> It's DCI, made in China, but sold from Quebec. I've never heard of
> >> this brand before. I'm wondering if it's like washers/dryers/stoves,
> >> etc. and no matter what brand it is, it has the same quality components
> >> as well known brands. My son worked in a restaurant and said they would
> >> take chicken wings directly from the freezer and they were cooked in 6
> >> minutes in a commercial unit. Thanks....Sharon

> >I think I found a reference to the same website, too, but it says "page not
> >found". None of the other sites appeared to be about convection ovens.
> >"DCI" apparently means several different things.
> >
> >The commercial units most likely have more heat and more air. That is really
> >quick! While it will be much faster in your oven, I doubt it will be quite
> >that fast.

> I was tempted to buy one of these table-top gizmos myself recently as
> my conventional oven is stuffed and I really would like to be able to
> roast something again!
>
> But I've never been sure about how well they would work. I have the
> impression from the few comments in this thread that they work quite
> well -- at least for some things.
>
> I did a bit of "research" at the time I was looking around, and one
> caution I would mention is that, if it's anything like the models
> available here in the deep north of the deep south, they get very
> *hot* and need to be treated appropriately with that in mind.
>
> Of course, the other option is to buy a gas barbecue with a "lid" that
> apparently does well for roasting and similar -- with the *big*
> advantage that you can park it outside and keep the heat out of the
> house in summer.
>
> Cheers, Phred.
>
> --
> LID

I cooked chicken legs in the roaster last night and they were a
hit. Other than the fact that the timer isn't accurate (I'll have to
compare it with a digital timer to see how far out it is), it did a good
job. Tonight it's pork tenderloin.....Sharon

convection roaster Phyllis Stone General Cooking 1 02-12-2009 05:02 PM
Electric Roaster Ovens ms. tonya Cooking Equipment 5 28-11-2006 03:33 AM
Table top Roaster Ovens Omelet General Cooking 62 21-11-2006 05:21 PM
Convection Ovens Frank103 Baking 6 16-10-2006 08:06 PM
Convection Ovens / Fan Ovens??? Wayne Boatwright Cooking Equipment 8 03-02-2005 12:26 PM