Default Question about Custard??

I was trying to make frozen custard and the
recipies called for egg yolks only. The custard
didn't come out all that well as it didn't really
thicken on the stove as it was supposed to.

When the vanilla yogurt did come out it was
yellow due to the egg yolks. It would just
seem that what gives Rita's and Kohr brother's
their smooth consistency (over say DQ's soft serve)
is the whites in the egg, not the yolk as this is
what seems smooth and creamy. What's more is that
Rit's and Kohr Bros. vanilla is white not yellow. Could
this be because they are using whites and not just yolks?

Thanks

MB

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was trying to make frozen custard and the
> recipies called for egg yolks only. The custard
> didn't come out all that well as it didn't really
> thicken on the stove as it was supposed to.

I've used both methods, wth good results most times. You need more yolks if
there is less total egg.

> What's more is that
> Rit's and Kohr Bros. vanilla is white not yellow. Could
> this be because they are using whites and not just yolks?

It probably has lots of other fillers, gums, etc, compared to home made.
They state "other premium quality ingredients" That may include guar gum and
carrageen. http://www.kohrbros.com/custard.html

Dave Smith

" wrote:

> I was trying to make frozen custard and the
> recipies called for egg yolks only. The custard
> didn't come out all that well as it didn't really
> thicken on the stove as it was supposed to.

All the recipes I have used for ice cream base for my machine
call for yolks only. The milk / cream, sugar and eggs are
cooked together to make a custard type base. Heaven only
knows what goes into a commercial mix to get a product that
is not coloured like the real thing.

skoonj

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I was trying to make frozen custard and the
> recipies called for egg yolks only. The custard
> didn't come out all that well as it didn't really
> thicken on the stove as it was supposed to.
>
> When the vanilla yogurt did come out it was
> yellow due to the egg yolks. It would just
> seem that what gives Rita's and Kohr brother's
> their smooth consistency (over say DQ's soft serve)
> is the whites in the egg, not the yolk as this is
> what seems smooth and creamy. What's more is that
> Rit's and Kohr Bros. vanilla is white not yellow. Could
> this be because they are using whites and not just yolks?
>
> Thanks
>
> MB

Dairy Queen soft serve is eggless; I don't know about Rita's or Kohr
Brothers. DQ's lack of smoothness is probably due to it being eggless,
as egg yolks help form a smooth texture. Fat can help texture too. Egg
whites are usually not used in ice cream, but they could help depending
on the rest of the recipe. They shouldn't affect color. All true vanilla
frozen custards should be yellow.

At one point, you mention yogurt. Was that a different dish? And did it
really have egg yolks in it?

-T