Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default all about custard

I'm pretty good at desserts, but custards still vex me.

Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of, say, boil,
is different than what the cookbook is telling me.

For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part, it came
out very well, but I think I can do better on the custard part.

Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
_________________________

1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large saucepan over
medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.

2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup granulated
sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer blade, the mixture
should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in 1/2 cup all purpose flour
until well combined.

(me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a spatula and
ensure that all of the flower has been well incorporated. Sometimes
the beater forces some flour to the bottom or side and makes a kind of
sludge.)

3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix well.

4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and half.
Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan.
Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time. Reduce the heat to low
and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool.
Pour into abowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready
to use.

_________________________

Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than mine,
but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to what I consider
a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk rather than use a spoon,
but I find too much sticks to the corners or the pan and begins to
become something close to scrambled eggs.

Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start pouring in
the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first, take it off the
heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and temper the yolks with
the H&H and THEN turn on the stove again. So, usually, 15 or so
minutes have passed since the H&H was on the flame.)

Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?

For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and rarely
curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can do better.

Many thanks!

PS - btw, apart from cooking the egg yolks, why does one want to boil
milk/cream/H&H in custards and other simialr desserts? What chemical
process occurs that aids in the cooking that you wouldn't have if you
just used cold dairy?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harlett wrote on Sun, 2 Aug 2009 12:34:46 -0700 (PDT):

> Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of,
> say, boil, is different than what the cookbook is telling me.

> For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part,
> it came out very well, but I think I can do better on the
> custard part.

> Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
> _________________________

> 1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large
> saucepan over medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.

> 2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup
> granulated sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer
> blade, the mixture should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in
> 1/2 cup all purpose flour until well combined.

> (me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a
> spatula and ensure that all of the flower has been well
> incorporated. Sometimes the beater forces some flour to the
> bottom or side and makes a kind of sludge.)

> 3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix
> well.

> 4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and
> half. Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into
> the saucepan. Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time.
> Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes,
> stirring constantly. Allow to cool. Pour into abowl, cover
> with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

> _________________________

> Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than
> mine, but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to
> what I consider a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk
> rather than use a spoon, but I find too much sticks to the
> corners or the pan and begins to become something close to
> scrambled eggs.

> Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start
> pouring in the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first,
> take it off the heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and
> temper the yolks with the H&H and THEN turn on the stove
> again. So, usually, 15 or so minutes have passed since the H&H
> was on the flame.)

> Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?

> For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and
> rarely curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can
> do better.

Having been brought up int UK, my advice is buy a packet of Bird's
Custard powder and follow the directions. Still, I never did like
custard much!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 3:34�pm, "Harlett O'Dowd" >
wrote:
> I'm pretty good at desserts, but custards still vex me.
>
> Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of, say, boil,
> is different than what the cookbook is telling me.
>
> For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part, it came
> out very well, but I think I can do better on the custard part.
>
> Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
> _________________________
>
> 1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large saucepan over
> medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.
>
> 2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup granulated
> sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer blade, the mixture
> should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in 1/2 cup all purpose flour
> until well combined.
>
> (me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a spatula and
> ensure that all of the flower has been well incorporated. Sometimes
> the beater forces some flour to the bottom or side and makes a kind of
> sludge.)
>
> 3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix well.
>
> 4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and half.
> Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan.
> Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time. Reduce the heat to low
> and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool.
> Pour into abowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready
> to use.
>
> _________________________
>
> Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than mine,
> but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to what I consider
> a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk rather than use a spoon,
> but I find too much sticks to the corners or the pan and begins to
> become something close to scrambled eggs.
>
> Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start pouring in
> the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first, take it off the
> heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and temper the yolks with
> the H&H and THEN turn on the stove again. So, usually, 15 or so
> minutes have passed since the H&H was on the flame.)
>
> Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?
>
> For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and rarely
> curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can do �better.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> PS - btw, apart from cooking the egg yolks, why does one want to boil
> milk/cream/H&H in custards and other simialr desserts? What chemical
> process occurs that aids in the cooking that you wouldn't have if you
> just used cold dairy?

I think the problem may be that there's too much flour in the recipe.
Try using just 1/4 cup and see if that helps. Also, after the custard
is done you can pour it through a strainer to remove all the lumps and
bits of scrambled egg.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Harlett wrote on Sun, 2 Aug 2009 12:34:46 -0700 (PDT):
>
>> Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of,
>> say, boil, is different than what the cookbook is telling me.

>> For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part,
>> it came out very well, but I think I can do better on the
>> custard part.

>> Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
>> _________________________

>> 1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large
>> saucepan over medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.

>> 2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup
>> granulated sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer
>> blade, the mixture should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in
>> 1/2 cup all purpose flour until well combined.

>> (me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a
>> spatula and ensure that all of the flower has been well
>> incorporated. Sometimes the beater forces some flour to the
>> bottom or side and makes a kind of sludge.)

>> 3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix
>> well.

>> 4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and
>> half. Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into
>> the saucepan. Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time.
>> Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes,
>> stirring constantly. Allow to cool. Pour into abowl, cover
>> with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.

>> _________________________

>> Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than
>> mine, but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to
>> what I consider a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk
>> rather than use a spoon, but I find too much sticks to the
>> corners or the pan and begins to become something close to
>> scrambled eggs.

>> Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start
>> pouring in the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first,
>> take it off the heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and
>> temper the yolks with the H&H and THEN turn on the stove
>> again. So, usually, 15 or so minutes have passed since the H&H
>> was on the flame.)

>> Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?

>> For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and
>> rarely curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can
>> do better.

> Having been brought up int UK, my advice is buy a packet of Bird's
> Custard powder and follow the directions. Still, I never did like
> custard much!

Maybe that's why! I don't like Bird's Custard powder very much.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
> Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?
>
> For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and rarely
> curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can do better.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> PS - btw, apart from cooking the egg yolks, why does one want to boil
> milk/cream/H&H in custards and other simialr desserts? What chemical
> process occurs that aids in the cooking that you wouldn't have if you
> just used cold dairy?

This is quite different from the custards most folks are used to. It's a
thick, spreadable custard-type filling with a pasty consistency? You
have to cook the heck out of it cause of the flour thickener used. I
typically will use a whisk and a non-stick saucepan for these kinds of
things although this stuff might be so thick that you'd have to use a
spoon.

I had a had a soybean custard in a Chinese restaurant that was most
remarkable. It tasted like the freshest, thickest, whitest, and sweetest
cream in existence. It was as if you got fresh sweetened cream to gently
curdle and then you strained it and molded it into a gentle dome onto a
plate with a drizzle of raspberry and a small ball of intensely flavored
mango sherbet. The amazing thing is that there is no milk in this
dessert at all. At least that's what the cook said. That guy is holding
out on me! I've tried to make this using soymilk and agar agar but it
comes out like soybean Jello. Bleech! I'd kill to find that recipe!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 02 Aug 2009 12:34:46p, Harlett O'Dowd told us...

> I'm pretty good at desserts, but custards still vex me.
>
> Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of, say, boil,
> is different than what the cookbook is telling me.
>
> For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part, it came
> out very well, but I think I can do better on the custard part.
>
> Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
> _________________________
>
> 1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large saucepan over
> medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.
>
> 2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup granulated
> sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer blade, the mixture
> should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in 1/2 cup all purpose flour
> until well combined.
>
> (me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a spatula and
> ensure that all of the flower has been well incorporated. Sometimes
> the beater forces some flour to the bottom or side and makes a kind of
> sludge.)
>
> 3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix well.
>
> 4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and half.
> Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan.
> Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time. Reduce the heat to low
> and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool.
> Pour into abowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready
> to use.
>
> _________________________
>

> Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than mine,
> but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to what I consider
> a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk rather than use a spoon,
> but I find too much sticks to the corners or the pan and begins to
> become something close to scrambled eggs.
>
> Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start pouring in
> the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first, take it off the
> heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and temper the yolks with
> the H&H and THEN turn on the stove again. So, usually, 15 or so
> minutes have passed since the H&H was on the flame.)
>
> Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?
>
> For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and rarely
> curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can do better.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> PS - btw, apart from cooking the egg yolks, why does one want to boil
> milk/cream/H&H in custards and other simialr desserts? What chemical
> process occurs that aids in the cooking that you wouldn't have if you
> just used cold dairy?

First off, if I were making a custard I would be using cornstarch
(cornflour), not all-purpose flour. For the volume of cream, egg yolks,
and sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour seems excessive, which could certainly
account for the premature thickening/clumping of the mixture.

AFAIC, this is not a particularly good recipe.

--
Wayne Boatwright
There is no love sincerer than the love of food. George Bernard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default all about custard (3 recipes)

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> First off, if I were making a custard I would be using cornstarch
> (cornflour), not all-purpose flour. For the volume of cream, egg yolks,
> and sugar, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour seems excessive, which could certainly
> account for the premature thickening/clumping of the mixture.
>
> AFAIC, this is not a particularly good recipe.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
It's not even a correct custard recipe.

From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap),
there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
much!

Lets see...

Baked Custard:
(quoted directly from the Betty Crocker Cookbook and yes, I actually do
own a couple of cookbooks. <G> This one has many hand written notes and
recipes tucked in here or there from mom too!)

Beat slightly to mix...

2 eggs (or 4 yolks)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Scald (crinkly film forms on top)...
2 cups milk

Stir eggs into mixture, add 1/2 tsp vanilla if desired.

Pour into 6 custard cups or a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish and set in a pan of
hot water (1" deep). Sprinkle a little nutmeg over top. Bake just until
silver knife inserted 1" from edge comes out clean (soft center sets as
it stands). Immediately remove from heat. Served cool or chilled in
same cups on dessert plates, or unmold and serve. Pass grape pr other
fruit juice to pour over, if desired.

Temperatu 350 degrees F (mod oven).
Time" Bake 45 to 50 min.

Amount: 6 servings.

---

Soft Custard:

"Delicate pudding or sauce to dress up other desserts."

Scald in top of double boiler or over direct heat...
1 12 cups milk

Beat into small bowl...
4 egg yolks
(or two whole eggs)

Blend in...
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. sale

Gradually stir in in scalded milk. Return to double boiler. Cook over
simmering (not boiling) water, stirring constantly. When custard coats
silver spoon (think coating), remove from heat. Cool quickly. If custard
should start to curdle, beat vigorously at once with rotary beater until
smooth. Blend in 1 tsp. vanilla. Serve in sherbet glasses topped with
shipped cream; or use as a sauce over fruit, cake or other desserts.

Amount: 6 servings.

---

Rich Custard filling (from the page on Cream Puffs):

Mix in Saucepan...
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup Gold Medal flour

(ok, so I was wrong about the flour <g>)

Stir in...
2 cups milk

Cook over med. heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 1 min. Remove from
heat. Stir a little over 1/2 of this mixture into...
4 egg yolks (or 2 eggs) beaten.

Blend into hot mixture in saucepan. Bring just to boiling point. Cool
and blend in...
2 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring.

This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>

I do treasure it!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> Soft Custard:
>
> "Delicate pudding or sauce to dress up other desserts."
>
> Scald in top of double boiler or over direct heat...
> 1 12 cups milk

Sorry, that should read 1 1/2 cups milk.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" ha scritto nel messaggio > In article
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> First off, if I were making a custard I would be using cornstarch >>
>> (cornflour), not all-purpose flour.

>> AFAIC, this is not a particularly good recipe.
>> Wayne Boatwright

It may or may not work, but is fairly typical of pastry cream type custards
used on European bakeries. Flour is much more common than corn starch.

> I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
> It's not even a correct custard recipe.
>
> From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap), >
> there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
> much!
>
> Lets see...
>
> Baked Custard:

Yes, baked custard, which is an entirely different thing and pretty damned
hard to pipe into an eclair.

Things have different namkes in different places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Omelet" ha scritto nel messaggio > In article
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> First off, if I were making a custard I would be using cornstarch >>
> >> (cornflour), not all-purpose flour.

> >> AFAIC, this is not a particularly good recipe.
> >> Wayne Boatwright

> It may or may not work, but is fairly typical of pastry cream type custards
> used on European bakeries. Flour is much more common than corn starch.
>
> > I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
> > It's not even a correct custard recipe.
> >
> > From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap), >
> > there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
> > much!
> >
> > Lets see...
> >
> > Baked Custard:

> Yes, baked custard, which is an entirely different thing and pretty damned
> hard to pipe into an eclair.
>
> Things have different namkes in different places.

Only _one_ of the three recipes I posted was for baked custard. The
other two were stove top custards.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in
:

> "Omelet" ha scritto nel messaggio > In article
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> First off, if I were making a custard I would be using cornstarch >>
>>> (cornflour), not all-purpose flour.

>>> AFAIC, this is not a particularly good recipe.
>>> Wayne Boatwright

> It may or may not work, but is fairly typical of pastry cream type
> custards used on European bakeries. Flour is much more common than
> corn starch.

Yes, and given that the OP was talking about making a dacquoise, I imagine
they were after a pastry cream (or creme patisserie) rather than a custard
to serve with pudding etc.

I'm not sure why I haven't made a pastry cream yet - I've certainly made
plenty of custards :-). Think I need to make profiteroles or a flan or some
such this weekend so I have a reason to make it. Do you have a tried and
true pastry cream recipe Giusi?

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson wrote:
> "Giusi" > wrote in
> :

>> It may or may not work, but is fairly typical of pastry cream type
>> custards used on European bakeries. Flour is much more common than
>> corn starch.
>>

> Yes, and given that the OP was talking about making a dacquoise, I imagine
> they were after a pastry cream (or creme patisserie) rather than a custard
> to serve with pudding etc.
>
> I'm not sure why I haven't made a pastry cream yet - I've certainly made
> plenty of custards :-). Think I need to make profiteroles or a flan or some
> such this weekend so I have a reason to make it. Do you have a tried and
> true pastry cream recipe Giusi?

I was thinking about this last night. Way back when I made a
dacquiose (sp?), I seem to recall using a butter cream, not
custard. Which is correct?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 12:34:46 -0700 (PDT), "Harlett O'Dowd"
> wrote:

>I'm pretty good at desserts, but custards still vex me.
>
>Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of, say, boil,
>is different than what the cookbook is telling me.
>
>For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part, it came
>out very well, but I think I can do better on the custard part.
>
>Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
>_________________________
>
>1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large saucepan over
>medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.
>
>2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup granulated
>sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer blade, the mixture
>should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in 1/2 cup all purpose flour
>until well combined.
>
>(me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a spatula and
>ensure that all of the flower has been well incorporated. Sometimes
>the beater forces some flour to the bottom or side and makes a kind of
>sludge.)
>
>3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix well.
>
>4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and half.
>Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan.
>Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time. Reduce the heat to low
>and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool.
>Pour into abowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready
>to use.
>
>_________________________
>

>Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than mine,
>but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to what I consider
>a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk rather than use a spoon,
>but I find too much sticks to the corners or the pan and begins to
>become something close to scrambled eggs.
>
>Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start pouring in
>the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first, take it off the
>heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and temper the yolks with
>the H&H and THEN turn on the stove again. So, usually, 15 or so
>minutes have passed since the H&H was on the flame.)
>
>Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?
>
>For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and rarely
>curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can do better.
>
>Many thanks!
>
>PS - btw, apart from cooking the egg yolks, why does one want to boil
>milk/cream/H&H in custards and other simialr desserts? What chemical
>process occurs that aids in the cooking that you wouldn't have if you
>just used cold dairy?

The custard is done when it's the right consistency... overcook it and
you'll just get a mess. I must admit to never having made an actual
egg custard - I use custard powder or cornstarch... but whatever the
setting medium, custard does not always act the same way when you cook
it up. The custard is boiled to set it up and when it's set it's done.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 00:09:19 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
>It's not even a correct custard recipe.
>
>From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap),
>there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
>much!
>

>This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
>A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
>falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
>ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
>was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>
>
>I do treasure it!

It can't be over 60 years old, the first one was copyrighted 1950.
There is a reproduction of that book. You might get one and save the
old one.

What does the cover look like?

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> Rhonda Anderson wrote:
>> "Giusi" > wrote in
>> :

>>> It may or may not work, but is fairly typical of pastry cream type
>>> custards used on European bakeries. Flour is much more common than
>>> corn starch.
>>>

>> Yes, and given that the OP was talking about making a dacquoise, I
>> imagine they were after a pastry cream (or creme patisserie) rather
>> than a custard to serve with pudding etc.
>>
>> I'm not sure why I haven't made a pastry cream yet - I've certainly
>> made plenty of custards :-). Think I need to make profiteroles or a
>> flan or some such this weekend so I have a reason to make it. Do you
>> have a tried and true pastry cream recipe Giusi?
>>

> I was thinking about this last night. Way back when I made a
> dacquiose (sp?), I seem to recall using a butter cream, not
> custard. Which is correct?

Mmm, I don't know, not having made one. I do know that it involves
layers of a light meringue with nuts in it (in fact, from mentions I'd
read of dacquoise, I thought the term referred to the meringue layer).

Thinking about it it would seem that a pastry cream might be a bit too
heavy for something like that. Off to take a look and find out a bit
more - hang on :-)

So, some references seem to be to dacquoise as the finished cake, and
others to the nut meringue layer, but most certainly seem to use butter
cream or cream or a light mousse.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Rhonda Anderson" ha scritto nel messaggio

.. Do you have a tried and
> true pastry cream recipe Giusi?
>
> --
> Rhonda Anderson

I have one I use, but I am not very happy with it. In very hot weather it
doesn't thicken correctly. Same recipe works in winter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> The custard is done when it's the right consistency... overcook it and
> you'll just get a mess. I must admit to never having made an actual
> egg custard - I use custard powder or cornstarch... but whatever the
> setting medium, custard does not always act the same way when you cook
> it up. The custard is boiled to set it up and when it's set it's done.

I have never made an egg custard on the stove top. I always bake it in the
oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" ha scritto nel messaggio

> I have never made an egg custard on the stove top. I always bake it in
> the oven.

But you can, depending on where you come from. What would you call the
yellow stuff inside an eclair?

I am sorry to say I didn't see Omelet's non-baked custards. Maybe one of
those is what you would make?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> [...]

> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/3 cup Gold Medal flour
>
> (ok, so I was wrong about the flour <g>)
>
> Stir in...
> 2 cups milk
>
> Cook over med. heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 1 min. Remove from
> heat. Stir a little over 1/2 of this mixture into...
> 4 egg yolks (or 2 eggs) beaten.
>
> Blend into hot mixture in saucepan. Bring just to boiling point. Cool
> and blend in...
> 2 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring.
>
> This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
> A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
> falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
> ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
> was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>

I hate to point this out but recipe #3, Rich Custard, does
actually have "thickener" in the form of flour. Also, when
you come down to it the eggs in all three recipes could
be considered "thickeners", since when heated they do actually
thicken the custard. :-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Omelet" ha scritto nel messaggio > In article
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> First off, if I were making a custard I would be using cornstarch >>
>>> (cornflour), not all-purpose flour.

>>> AFAIC, this is not a particularly good recipe.
>>> Wayne Boatwright

> It may or may not work, but is fairly typical of pastry cream type custards
> used on European bakeries. Flour is much more common than corn starch.
>
>> I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
>> It's not even a correct custard recipe.
>>
>> From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap), >
>> there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
>> much!
>>
>> Lets see...
>>
>> Baked Custard:

> Yes, baked custard, which is an entirely different thing and pretty damned
> hard to pipe into an eclair.
>
> Things have different namkes in different places.

Where I come from there are baked custards and cooked custards
(cooked in pot on top of stove). Cooked custards can have added
thickeners such as flour or cornstarch, or not. Cooked custards,
flavored or not, eaten alone are called pudding. Pudding is a
cooked custard. Unless it's "plum pudding" in which case it is
a steamed cake/bread-like thingy. Cooked custards are also used
to make ice cream. I always make custard-based ice cream - it's
so much better and richer than the other kind.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> I have never made an egg custard on the stove top. I always bake it in
>> the oven.

> But you can, depending on where you come from. What would you call the
> yellow stuff inside an eclair?

Usually, I call it delicious.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Ophelia" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> I have never made an egg custard on the stove top. I always bake it
>> in the oven.

> But you can, depending on where you come from. What would you call
> the yellow stuff inside an eclair?
>
> I am sorry to say I didn't see Omelet's non-baked custards. Maybe
> one of those is what you would make?

Crème Ptissière if I were really bothered but Bird's custard would do the
trick. I tend to put cream in mine anyway

We do love baked egg custard, but I might serve alone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Ophelia" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > I have never made an egg custard on the stove top. I always bake it in
> > the oven.

> But you can, depending on where you come from. What would you call the
> yellow stuff inside an eclair?
>
> I am sorry to say I didn't see Omelet's non-baked custards. Maybe one of
> those is what you would make?

I can re-post them if you like. :-)

2 recipes, non-bake custards as quoted from the Betty Crocker Cookbook:

---

Soft Custard:

"Delicate pudding or sauce to dress up other desserts."

Scald in top of double boiler or over direct heat...
1 1/2 cups milk

Beat into small bowl...
4 egg yolks
(or two whole eggs)

Blend in...
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Gradually stir in in scalded milk. Return to double boiler. Cook over
simmering (not boiling) water, stirring constantly. When custard coats
silver spoon (thin coating), remove from heat. Cool quickly. If custard
should start to curdle, beat vigorously at once with rotary beater until
smooth. Blend in 1 tsp. vanilla. Serve in sherbet glasses topped with
whipped cream; or use as a sauce over fruit, cake or other desserts.

Amount: 6 servings.

---

Rich Custard filling (from the page on Cream Puffs):

Mix in Saucepan...
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup Gold Medal flour

Om's note: (ok, so I was wrong about the flour <g>)

Stir in...
2 cups milk

Cook over med. heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 1 min. Remove from
heat. Stir a little over 1/2 of this mixture into...
4 egg yolks (or 2 eggs) beaten.

Blend into hot mixture in saucepan. Bring just to boiling point. Cool
and blend in...
2 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 00:09:19 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>

> >I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
> >It's not even a correct custard recipe.
> >
> >From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap),
> >there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
> >much!
> >

> >This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
> >A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
> >falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
> >ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
> >was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>
> >
> >I do treasure it!

> It can't be over 60 years old, the first one was copyrighted 1950.
> There is a reproduction of that book. You might get one and save the
> old one.
>
> What does the cover look like?

Ok, I was not sure how old it was. Just that I'm 47 and mom died when
she was 68 and that was 7 years ago. I thought she got it from her mom
but I could be wrong. There are pictures of pies and stuff on the cover.

It has a LOT of moms hand written notes all over the covers and some of
the recipes.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> > ---
> >
> > Rich Custard filling (from the page on Cream Puffs):
> >
> > Mix in Saucepan...
> > 1/2 cup sugar
> > 1/2 tsp salt
> > 1/3 cup Gold Medal flour
> >
> > (ok, so I was wrong about the flour <g>)
> >
> > Stir in...
> > 2 cups milk
> >
> > Cook over med. heat, stirring until it boils. Boil 1 min. Remove from
> > heat. Stir a little over 1/2 of this mixture into...
> > 4 egg yolks (or 2 eggs) beaten.
> >
> > Blend into hot mixture in saucepan. Bring just to boiling point. Cool
> > and blend in...
> > 2 tsp. vanilla or other flavoring.
> >
> > This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
> > A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
> > falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
> > ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
> > was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>
> >
> > I do treasure it!

> I hate to point this out but recipe #3, Rich Custard, does
> actually have "thickener" in the form of flour. Also, when
> you come down to it the eggs in all three recipes could
> be considered "thickeners", since when heated they do actually
> thicken the custard. :-)
>
> Kate

Indeed. :-) Not my in-line comment that I was wrong about the flour
thickener for this recipe...

I wonder tho' how it would work were one to substitute corn starch for
that?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
> It's not even a correct custard recipe.
>
> From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap),
> there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
> much!

Proper or not, thickener IS used for stirred custard.

> Lets see...
>
> Baked Custard:
> (quoted directly from the Betty Crocker Cookbook and yes, I
> --
> Peace! Om

Baked custard and stirred custard are two different animals. You
don't need a thickener in baked, but you do in stirred. I believe my
regular recipe (takes about 3 eggs, if I remember correctly) uses only
a T. or two or cornstarch, and the same amount of flour.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 00:09:19 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
>>> It's not even a correct custard recipe.
>>>
>> >From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap),
>>> there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
>>> much!
>>>
>>> This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
>>> A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
>>> falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
>>> ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
>>> was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>
>>>
>>> I do treasure it!

>> It can't be over 60 years old, the first one was copyrighted 1950.
>> There is a reproduction of that book. You might get one and save the
>> old one.
>>
>> What does the cover look like?

> Ok, I was not sure how old it was. Just that I'm 47 and mom died when
> she was 68 and that was 7 years ago. I thought she got it from her mom
> but I could be wrong. There are pictures of pies and stuff on the cover.
>
> It has a LOT of moms hand written notes all over the covers and some of
> the recipes.

Heh! That's not even the first one. I just got a 1st ed at an
estate sale, and I also have mom's. Nicknamed "Big Red" because
of the red cover.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > The Cook > wrote:

> >> It can't be over 60 years old, the first one was copyrighted 1950.
> >> There is a reproduction of that book. You might get one and save the
> >> old one.
> >>
> >> What does the cover look like?

> > Ok, I was not sure how old it was. Just that I'm 47 and mom died when
> > she was 68 and that was 7 years ago. I thought she got it from her mom
> > but I could be wrong. There are pictures of pies and stuff on the cover.
> >
> > It has a LOT of moms hand written notes all over the covers and some of
> > the recipes.

> Heh! That's not even the first one. I just got a 1st ed at an
> estate sale, and I also have mom's. Nicknamed "Big Red" because
> of the red cover.

I'm not a cookbook collector. ;-)
Any idea then when this one was published? I know I could probably
check inside of the covers but I try to handle the book as little as
possible. I'm sure I can take it to an expert to get it restored, but
don't have the money right now.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> The Cook > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 00:09:19 -0500, Omelet >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I have to agree that it is not a good Custard recipe.
>> >It's not even a correct custard recipe.
>> >
>> >From what I see in moms Betty Crocker Cookbook (sitting here in my lap),
>> >there is no thickener used for a proper custard. Thought I remembered as
>> >much!
>> >

>> >This cookbook is probably a good 60 years old.
>> >A real family treasure. :-) I'm considering having it re-bound as it's
>> >falling apart, literally. I've been preserving it by keeping it in a
>> >ziplock bag... It was one of the foremost things on moms mind when she
>> >was dying. She was most concerned that I knew where it was etc. <sigh>
>> >
>> >I do treasure it!

>> It can't be over 60 years old, the first one was copyrighted 1950.
>> There is a reproduction of that book. You might get one and save the
>> old one.
>>
>> What does the cover look like?

>Ok, I was not sure how old it was. Just that I'm 47 and mom died when
>she was 68 and that was 7 years ago. I thought she got it from her mom
>but I could be wrong. There are pictures of pies and stuff on the cover.
>
>It has a LOT of moms hand written notes all over the covers and some of
>the recipes.

That is 1956 copyright. Pie, chicken and corn on the cob on the
cover. I found a copy of it several years ago that is full of
clippings and notes. I really need to go through it and sort out the
junk from the good stuff.

My first BC was the 1961 edition. It is still my "go to" book.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> I'm not a cookbook collector. ;-)
> Any idea then when this one was published? I know I could probably
> check inside of the covers but I try to handle the book as little as
> possible. I'm sure I can take it to an expert to get it restored, but
> don't have the money right now.

Why worry, Kat. This is very special, it has your Mum's notes all over it.
Does it really matter about the rest?

You have your treasure in your hand

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 10:57:02 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > The Cook > wrote:

> >> It can't be over 60 years old, the first one was copyrighted 1950.
> >> There is a reproduction of that book. You might get one and save the
> >> old one.
> >>
> >> What does the cover look like?

> >Ok, I was not sure how old it was. Just that I'm 47 and mom died when
> >she was 68 and that was 7 years ago. I thought she got it from her mom
> >but I could be wrong. There are pictures of pies and stuff on the cover.
> >
> >It has a LOT of moms hand written notes all over the covers and some of
> >the recipes.

> That is 1956 copyright. Pie, chicken and corn on the cob on the
> cover. I found a copy of it several years ago that is full of
> clippings and notes. I really need to go through it and sort out the
> junk from the good stuff.
>
> My first BC was the 1961 edition. It is still my "go to" book.

Thanks. :-) So that makes it 53 years old then.

My own first cookbook I learned from was a Doubleday. I'm not even sure
what happened to it. I've not seen it in ages and it's not on any of
the current bookshelves. We've moved a lot since dad bought it for me.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > I'm not a cookbook collector. ;-)
> > Any idea then when this one was published? I know I could probably
> > check inside of the covers but I try to handle the book as little as
> > possible. I'm sure I can take it to an expert to get it restored, but
> > don't have the money right now.

> Why worry, Kat.

I worry about it deteriorating further! It's precious to me. :-)

> This is very special,

Indeed.

> it has your Mum's notes all over it.
> Does it really matter about the rest?
>
> You have your treasure in your hand

I know. :-) I'm not worried about function, I'm worried about losing
any of it!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harlett O'Dowd" > wrote in news:fb07385c-1c74-4b5e-85be-
on Aug Sun 2009 pm

> I'm pretty good at desserts, but custards still vex me.
>
> Maybe there's a trick I'm not getting, or my definition of, say, boil,
> is different than what the cookbook is telling me.
>
> For instance, yesterday I made a dacquoise. For the most part, it came
> out very well, but I think I can do better on the custard part.
>
> Here's the pertinent part of the recipe:
> _________________________
>
> 1. bring 2 cups half-and-half just to a boil in a large saucepan over
> medium heat, then turn off the heat, reserve.
>
> 2. in a mixer, whip 8 yolks, 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 cup granulated
> sugar for about 4 minutes. when you lift the mixer blade, the mixture
> should form a thick ribbon. slowly mix in 1/2 cup all purpose flour
> until well combined.
>
> (me - I've learned that when the mixer is done to get a spatula and
> ensure that all of the flower has been well incorporated. Sometimes
> the beater forces some flour to the bottom or side and makes a kind of
> sludge.)
>
> 3. add 1 cup of the hot half-and-half to the bowl and mix well.
>
> 4. turn the heat to medium again under the pan of half-and half.
> Showly, mixing constantly, pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan.
> Bring just to a boil, stirring the entire time. Reduce the heat to low
> and simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Allow to cool.
> Pour into abowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready
> to use.
>
> _________________________
>

> Maybe the book's concept of boil on point 4 is different than mine,
> but to me, it seems to congeal long before it comes to what I consider
> a boil. I've tried whipping it with a whisk rather than use a spoon,
> but I find too much sticks to the corners or the pan and begins to
> become something close to scrambled eggs.
>
> Should the H&H mixture be closer to a boil before I start pouring in
> the yolk mixture? (generally I boil the H&H first, take it off the
> heat and cover it, then prepare the yolks and temper the yolks with
> the H&H and THEN turn on the stove again. So, usually, 15 or so
> minutes have passed since the H&H was on the flame.)
>
> Anyone else have any secrets of the custard trade?
>
> For the record, my custards almost always taste good, and rarely
> curdle, but it's usually a bit lumpy and I know I can do better.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> PS - btw, apart from cooking the egg yolks, why does one want to boil
> milk/cream/H&H in custards and other simialr desserts? What chemical
> process occurs that aids in the cooking that you wouldn't have if you
> just used cold dairy?

Temper the egg yolks by using HOT cream not warm cream.
If you get lumps pour thru a strainer.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> I'm not a cookbook collector. ;-)
>>> Any idea then when this one was published? I know I could probably
>>> check inside of the covers but I try to handle the book as little as
>>> possible. I'm sure I can take it to an expert to get it restored,
>>> but don't have the money right now.

>> Why worry, Kat.

> I worry about it deteriorating further! It's precious to me. :-)
>
>> This is very special,

> Indeed.
>
>> it has your Mum's notes all over it.
>> Does it really matter about the rest?
>>
>> You have your treasure in your hand

> I know. :-) I'm not worried about function, I'm worried about losing
> any of it!

Why not have each page laminated and join together with a ring binder?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Why worry, Kat.

> > I worry about it deteriorating further! It's precious to me. :-)
> >
> >> This is very special,

> > Indeed.
> >
> >> it has your Mum's notes all over it.
> >> Does it really matter about the rest?
> >>
> >> You have your treasure in your hand

> > I know. :-) I'm not worried about function, I'm worried about losing
> > any of it!

> Why not have each page laminated and join together with a ring binder?

Not a bad idea. I'll discuss that with my sister. :-)
Thanks for the suggestion!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:40:56 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > I worry about it deteriorating further! It's precious to me. :-)

>> > Indeed.

>> > I know. :-) I'm not worried about function, I'm worried about losing
>> > any of it!

>> Why not have each page laminated and join together with a ring binder?

>Not a bad idea. I'll discuss that with my sister. :-)
>Thanks for the suggestion!

Is the book a hard cover or 3 ring binder. If it is the binder, just
get some Avery sheet protectors and slip each page into one. Put them
in a regular binder. If it is hard cover, see if you can find another
copy and put your mother's copy away. The 1950 or 1961 may have the
recipes you want.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 13:40:56 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,

> >> Why not have each page laminated and join together with a ring binder?

> >Not a bad idea. I'll discuss that with my sister. :-)
> >Thanks for the suggestion!

> Is the book a hard cover or 3 ring binder. If it is the binder, just
> get some Avery sheet protectors and slip each page into one. Put them
> in a regular binder. If it is hard cover, see if you can find another
> copy and put your mother's copy away. The 1950 or 1961 may have the
> recipes you want.

It is a hard bound copy.

I know I can get another copy, but it's mom's notes in there (and her
hand written recipes inside the front covers) that are of the most value.

I need to look thru it and transcribe them, then burn them to disk and
make hard copies and put those in page protectors I think.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> I worry about it deteriorating further! It's precious to me. :-)

>>> Indeed.

>>> I know. :-) I'm not worried about function, I'm worried about
>>> losing any of it!

>> Why not have each page laminated and join together with a ring
>> binder?

> Not a bad idea. I'll discuss that with my sister. :-)

Once it is laminated and safe, you can have it copied.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Why not have each page laminated and join together with a ring
> >> binder?

> > Not a bad idea. I'll discuss that with my sister. :-)

> Once it is laminated and safe, you can have it copied.

True.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>>> Not a bad idea. I'll discuss that with my sister. :-)

>> Once it is laminated and safe, you can have it copied.

> True.

Well, it is yours to do with as you wish) I am just offering my
experience after years of working with ephemera.
In your case, it is important that you keep it as intact as possible because
of the precious annotations. Being intrinsically safe is not the issue.
Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you enjoy it for many years to
come