General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2005, 06:28 PM
biig
 
Posts: n/a
Default Basil plant


Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Joe Cilinceon
 
Posts: n/a
Default

biig wrote:
Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon


I have 3 Genovese basil going to seed now. They need about 4 hours of full
sun or part shade. Best to put them in a windows that faces the morning sun.
They grow from 12" to 24". Maturity is reached in 65-75 days and need to be
planted in a deep container. I used containers that are about 12" around but
about 16" deep with 1 plant per pot. The also need to be trimmed of flowers
(they are eatable also) as once the flowers are allowed to grow the plant
will begin to die. Mine have been giving off great leaves since early April
and are now past their best output. I will harvest the seeds now to grow for
next season. Oh and they like temperatures from 70 to 90.

Here are a couple of sites you might find helpful:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/herb/
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/herbs/ne208hrb.htm
http://www.tastefulgarden.com/encycl...97199a 2f0e35


--

Joe Cilinceon



  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2005, 07:17 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article , biig wrote:

Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon


Full sun in the window, water as needed.
Since I don't know what soil was used or how large the pot is, it's hard
to give watering instructions. ;-)

Just check the soil by feeling it (and be sure to check the level a bit
deeper into the pot) and water when it feels dry, or the plant wilts,
whichever comes first.

Basil is pretty hardy. I grow it every year out in the herb garden.

To prolong it's life, remove ANY bloom stalks as they appear!

Basil is an annual so it will eventually die, so don't feel bad when it
does!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Pandora
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"biig" ha scritto nel messaggio
...

Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon


Much sun and much water!
Cheers
Pandora


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article , biig wrote:

Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon


Inside? As much as it can get!
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Several notes since 8/18/05


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 26-08-2005, 10:15 PM
Dave Smith
 
Posts: n/a
Default

biig wrote:

Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon


Basil needs a lot of sun.

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Bill
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:


To prolong it's life, remove ANY bloom stalks as they appear!

Basil is an annual so it will eventually die, so don't feel bad when it
does!


I do feel bad each year when it dies. Come October, it's either a quick
death by frost or a slow one by lack of sunlight. It makes me want to
cry.
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2005, 02:33 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
Bill wrote:

In article ,
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:


To prolong it's life, remove ANY bloom stalks as they appear!

Basil is an annual so it will eventually die, so don't feel bad when it
does!


I do feel bad each year when it dies. Come October, it's either a quick
death by frost or a slow one by lack of sunlight. It makes me want to
cry.


I know what you mean.
It's best to just harvest them at that point, and either freeze or dry
what is left of the leaves.
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Charles Burns
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have my basil growing in our sun room in a 10 inch pot ... needs lots
of water but let it dry out between waterings also needs lots of sun and
warmth .. don't let the temp. fall below 70F or 20C .. Basil is an
annual and it is easy to grow from seed provided the temp is over 70F or
20C at all times.

biig wrote:
Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2005, 05:30 PM
~patches~
 
Posts: n/a
Default

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article , biig wrote:


Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon



Full sun in the window, water as needed.
Since I don't know what soil was used or how large the pot is, it's hard
to give watering instructions. ;-)

Just check the soil by feeling it (and be sure to check the level a bit
deeper into the pot) and water when it feels dry, or the plant wilts,
whichever comes first.

Basil is pretty hardy. I grow it every year out in the herb garden.

To prolong it's life, remove ANY bloom stalks as they appear!

Basil is an annual so it will eventually die, so don't feel bad when it
does!


Extend the life of basil either from the garden or windowsill by taking
cuttings and rooting them in water. I grow four kinds of basil and
aways plant two plants of each type. Then I use one plant for eating
and the other one for collecting seeds. Between the seeds and the
cuttings, I have a steady supply of basil. You can never have too much
basil


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2005, 06:11 PM
sf
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:28:07 -0400, biig wrote:


Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
Thanks....Sharon


Basil takes full sun.
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-08-2005, 08:52 PM
TammyM
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:43:31 -0700, Charles Burns
wrote:

I have my basil growing in our sun room in a 10 inch pot ... needs lots
of water but let it dry out between waterings also needs lots of sun and
warmth .. don't let the temp. fall below 70F or 20C .. Basil is an
annual and it is easy to grow from seed provided the temp is over 70F or
20C at all times.


I found some basil growing "wild" in my backyard this spring! "Wild"
meaning I probably dumped the dirt from another failed adventure in
herb gardening some time previously. I've been babying that plant
ever since and am going to plant the seeds and hope they'll come back
next year.

TammyM, purple thumb
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-08-2005, 04:14 AM
ravinwulf
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:30:06 -0400, ~patches~
wrote:

You can never have too much
basil


My daughter has guinea pigs who feel the same way. :P I found out the
other day that my mother (who lives next door to us) has been raiding
my basil patch every morning and feeding it to the little beasties
because they whistle and squeal at her when they see her walking her
dog. Apparently, they have convinced her that they're starving, which
is quite some feat considering that they look like cantaloupes with
legs.

Regards,
Tracy R.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-08-2005, 04:24 AM
notbob
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On 2005-08-28, ravinwulf wrote:

My daughter has guinea pigs who feel the same way. :P I found out the
other day that my mother (who lives next door to us) has been raiding
my basil patch every morning and feeding it to the little beasties
because they whistle and squeal at her when they see her walking her
dog. Apparently, they have convinced her that they're starving, which
is quite some feat considering that they look like cantaloupes with
legs.



OBfood:

---------------

A recipe for fried Guinea Pig

_CUY CHAQTADO_

Fried Guinea Pig (Ayacucho-style)

1 guinea pig, de-haired, gutted, and cleaned

1/2 c. flour

1/4 - 1/2 t. ground cumin

salt and black pepper to taste

1/2 c. oil

Pat dry the skin of the guinea pig and rub in the cumin, salt, and
pepper. Preheat oil. Dust the carcass with the flour and place it on
its back in the oil, turning to cook both sides. Alternately, the
guinea pig can be cut and fried in quarters.

Serve with boiled potato or boiled manioc root, and a salad of cut
tomatoes and slivered onions bathed in lime juice and a bit of salt.
Have cold beer on hand.

Juan Fajardo

-----------

nb
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-08-2005, 06:07 AM
ravinwulf
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:24:09 -0500, notbob wrote:

On 2005-08-28, ravinwulf wrote:

My daughter has guinea pigs who feel the same way. :P I found out the
other day that my mother (who lives next door to us) has been raiding
my basil patch every morning and feeding it to the little beasties
because they whistle and squeal at her when they see her walking her
dog. Apparently, they have convinced her that they're starving, which
is quite some feat considering that they look like cantaloupes with
legs.



OBfood:

---------------

A recipe for fried Guinea Pig

_CUY CHAQTADO_

Fried Guinea Pig (Ayacucho-style)

1 guinea pig, de-haired, gutted, and cleaned

1/2 c. flour

1/4 - 1/2 t. ground cumin

salt and black pepper to taste

1/2 c. oil

Pat dry the skin of the guinea pig and rub in the cumin, salt, and
pepper. Preheat oil. Dust the carcass with the flour and place it on
its back in the oil, turning to cook both sides. Alternately, the
guinea pig can be cut and fried in quarters.

Serve with boiled potato or boiled manioc root, and a salad of cut
tomatoes and slivered onions bathed in lime juice and a bit of salt.
Have cold beer on hand.


They were originally domesticated in Peru for use as food, so it's not
surprising there are recipes for them floating about. You know, I bet
they would be pretty tasty by now, having been fed on aromatics for a
while. But, nah, they're entirely too cute to eat. The cats on the
other hand... =)

Regards,
Tracy R.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know how to keep a basil plant going? Kalmia General Cooking 24 11-07-2012 09:16 PM
Could this be a tea plant? Stefan Fleck Tea 3 12-04-2010 08:13 AM
Hispanic Chicken plant workers test postitive for TB but HIV privacy laws protect themIn two batteries of skin tests last month, given to 765 fresh processing employees at the Decatur, Ala., plant owned by Wayne Farms LLC by the State Department Ted[_2_] General Cooking 1 10-11-2007 02:02 PM
I have a big plant of marjoram... Pandora General Cooking 8 22-07-2007 09:28 AM
Basil plant again biig General Cooking 17 27-09-2005 01:57 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017