Joe Cilinceon

biig wrote:
> Does anyone have any care instructions for a window sill basil
> plant. I picked one up at the grocery store this morning and am not
> sure how much sun it needs. No instructions came with it. I know I
> could google, but everyone here seems to have good hints on stuff.
> Thanks....Sharon

I have 3 Genovese basil going to seed now. They need about 4 hours of full
sun or part shade. Best to put them in a windows that faces the morning sun.
They grow from 12" to 24". Maturity is reached in 65-75 days and need to be
planted in a deep container. I used containers that are about 12" around but
about 16" deep with 1 plant per pot. The also need to be trimmed of flowers
(they are eatable also) as once the flowers are allowed to grow the plant
will begin to die. Mine have been giving off great leaves since early April
and are now past their best output. I will harvest the seeds now to grow for
next season. Oh and they like temperatures from 70 to 90.

Here are a couple of sites you might find helpful:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/herb/
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/herbs/ne208hrb.htm
http://www.tastefulgarden.com/encycl...97199a 2f0e35

--