M. FERRANTE

Default POll: Best Extra Virgin OO??

What is considered to be the best brand of O.O.? Hopefully something
that is easily picked up in a big supermarket or Italian food store?
So many recipes calls for a good OO.

Thanks,
Mark
Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Sheldon

M. FERRANTE wrote:
> What is considered to be the best brand of O.O.? Hopefully something
> that is easily picked up in a big supermarket or Italian food store?
> So many recipes calls for a good OO.

The best tasting anything is whatever tastes best to you. Typical
stupidmarkets don't offer much selection (although you may find some
you like)... I think some of the Goya olive oils are very good. I
would suggest finding a store that specializes in olive oils, many
large delis do... or peruse the net, there are many sources. I would
suggest trying the private estate olive oils. Buy small quantities of
several types. Olive oil has only a two year shelf life so don't stock
up... don't buy a large container just because it seems a bargain, it's
no bargain when you end up pouring half down the drain because you
couldn't use it up fast enough and it went rancid. And be aware that
olive oils being a natural product vary from year to year, so one you
like may not taste the same next time... in fact if it does taste
exactly the same year after year it is probably not such a great
example and is likely a blend.

Sheldon

Peter Aitken

"M. FERRANTE" > wrote in message
> What is considered to be the best brand of O.O.? Hopefully something
> that is easily picked up in a big supermarket or Italian food store?
> So many recipes calls for a good OO.

There is no "best." Oils differ and you will prefer one or another based on
what you are using it for and your personal taste. For example good Tuscan
oil is green, rather chlorophylly-tasting, and usually used uncooked
(salads, dipping, etc.).Good Sicilian oil is golden and fruity. And so it
goes. For a widely available brand I suggest Colavita.

--
Peter Aitken

cathyxyz

M. FERRANTE wrote:
> What is considered to be the best brand of O.O.? Hopefully something
> that is easily picked up in a big supermarket or Italian food store?
> So many recipes calls for a good OO.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:
>
> http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

One of those "personal preference" things. I like the Greek brands.
Currently using something called Aegean Gold.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French.
Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce
makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

Alice May Brock