Dimitri

Default Uses for extra-virgin olive oil?

"MAYA" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
> --
>
> MAYA

EVOO is a wonderful flavoring agent and is excellent is salads and other
"cold" oil uses. It also makes a very good dip for rustic breads ( no
wonder bread please).

It is also wonderful for general sautéing and frying just be sure not to
burn the oil see below.

Dimitri

Smoke Point of Various Oils and Fats
Type of Oil or Fat - RefinedSmoke Point Cooking Methods
Avocado Oil 520ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil
Safflower Oil 510ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill,
Broil, Baking
Almond Oil 495ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil,
Baking
Soybean Oil 450ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil,
Baking
Corn Oil450ºF Sauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil,
Baking
Sunflower Oil 450ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil, Baking
Peanut Oil 450ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil,
Baking
Cottonseed Oil 420ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill,
Broil
Sesame Seed Oil (Light) 410ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry,
Grill, Broil, Baking
Olive Oil 410ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil,
Baking
Grape Seed Oil 400ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill,
Broil, Baking
Canola Oil 400ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Deep-fry, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil,
Baking
Walnut Oil 400ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil
Lard 375ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Baking
Vegetable Shortening 325ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Baking
Butter 300ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Grill, Broil, Baking

Type of Oil or Fat - UnrefinedSmoke Point Cooking Methods

Sesame Seed Oil 350ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Stir-fry, Grill, Broil, Baking
Olive Oil (Extra Virgin or Virgin) 320ºFSauté, Pan-fry, Sear, Stir-fry,
Grill, Broil, Baking
Peanut Oil 320ºFLight sauté, Low-heat grilling, Low-heat baking
Soybean Oil3 20ºFLight sauté, Low-heat grilling, Low-heat baking
Corn Oil 320ºFLight sauté, Low-heat grilling, Low-heat baking
Walnut Oil 320ºFLight sauté, Low-heat grilling, Low-heat baking
Sunflower Oil 225ºFBlend it with oils with higher smoke points for low
heat cooking
Canola Oil 225ºFBlend it with oils with higher smoke points for low heat
cooking
Safflower Oil 225ºFBlend it with oils with higher smoke points for low
heat cooking

PENMART01

>Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
>oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
>
>MAYA

There are none... extra virgins are eaten au jus.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Luca Pinotti

MAYA wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin
> olive oil? I bought two liters at a sale.

Bruschetta?
Spaghetti aglio olio e peperoncino?

Cheers
Luca

---
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Luca Pinotti

MAYA wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin
> olive oil? I bought two liters at a sale.

Bruschetta?
Spaghetti aglio olio e peperoncino?

Cheers
Luca

---
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos

Nancy Dooley

MAYA > wrote in message >...
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
> --
>
> MAYA

Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
like salad dressings and bread dips.

I use XV for everything I use olive oil for, but I think it's best
when one can appreciate the flavor of it without too much doctoring
up.

N.

Dimitri

"Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
om...
> MAYA > wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
>> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
>> --
>>
>> MAYA
>>

> Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
> that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
> like salad dressings and bread dips.

Not good advice.

Dimitri

Botulism
What causes botulism?
Botulism is caused by the organism Clostridium botulinum, a spore-forming
bacteria. Spores release a toxin that caused the illness. Although widely
spread throughout our environment, botulism spores only become dangerous
after producing a toxin in an oxygen-free environment of low acidity.
Botulism food poisoning is very rare, but it can be life-threatening.
Botulism may result from eating improperly processed, low-acid foods such as
green beans, mush-rooms, spinach, olives and beef or fish. Improper home
canning methods account for many botulism cases. But, improperly processed
commercial products can cause botulism too.

How can botulism be destroyed?
Spores are highly resistant to destruction. They can survive hours of
boiling at 212° F (100° C). Pressure cooking at 240° F (120° C) for 30
minutes can kill spores. The toxin (not the spores) is readily destroyed by
boiling at 212° F (100° C) for 10 minutes or heating to 176° F (80° C) for
30 minutes.
How do I avoid botulism risks?
Use only proper methods for canning low-acid foods. Follow directions for
home canning exactly.
Avoid commercially canned low-acid foods with leaky seals or deep dents in
the seams of the can.
Avoid all bent, bulging or broken cans.
Discard any food that explodes from a can when it is being opened. If
canned food contents spray across the kitchen or hit the ceiling when the
can is being opened, it is potentially dangerous.
Never, never taste a suspicious food product.
Don't count on cooking to kill the botulism spores.
When in doubt, throw it out. (Don't give it to pets either!)
Not even a taste: foods to avoid!
Avoid tasting canned food that is soft, deteriorating, fermenting, or
doesn't smell right. Even a taste is enough to cause illness. Throw the food
away: It is not worth a life-threatening illness. Never taste suspicious
foods for any reason.

> I use XV for everything I use olive oil for, but I think it's best
> when one can appreciate the flavor of it without too much doctoring
> up.
>
> N.

Peter Aitken

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
> om...
> > MAYA > wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin

olive
> >> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
> >> --
> >>
> >> MAYA
> >>

> > Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
> > that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
> > like salad dressings and bread dips.

> Not good advice.
>
> Dimitri
>
> Botulism

<snipped>

I know that steeping herbs in oils is *theoretically* a growing medium for
botulism, but have there been any documented cases? Of course refrigerating
should make the process perfectly safe, but even unrefrigerated I have never
heard of a single case of poisoning. Is this yet another case where people
read about some theoretical danger and start running around flapping their
hands in the air when in fact the danger is miniscule or nonexistent?

So - any documented cases? If so, I want to know about them. If not,
well.....

--
Peter Aitken

Kswck

"MAYA" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
> --

Not for use in a dish that needs to be cooked.
Best in a dressing, oil & vinegar, dipping oil, etc.

Kswck

"MAYA" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
> --

Also perhaps to flavor yourself w/fresh rosemary or some ground red pepper
to use in salads.

Kswck

"MAYA" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
> --

Also perhaps to flavor yourself w/fresh rosemary or some ground red pepper
to use in salads.

Kswck

> Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
> that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
> like salad dressings and bread dips.

I recall some articles that said NOT to flavor oil w/garlic. Botulism. Leave
that to the professionals.

Dimitri

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
>> om...

> olive

>> > Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
>> > that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
>> > like salad dressings and bread dips.

>> Not good advice.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Botulism

> <snipped>
>
> I know that steeping herbs in oils is *theoretically* a growing medium for
> botulism, but have there been any documented cases? Of course
> refrigerating
> should make the process perfectly safe, but even unrefrigerated I have
> never
> heard of a single case of poisoning. Is this yet another case where people
> read about some theoretical danger and start running around flapping their
> hands in the air when in fact the danger is miniscule or nonexistent?
>
> So - any documented cases? If so, I want to know about them. If not,
> well.....
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

http://www.ochef.com/272.htm
http://vt.essortment.com/garlicuses_rsuz.htm
http://www.ivillage.com/home/howtogu...ival_freqCap=2

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
>> om...

> olive

>> > Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
>> > that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
>> > like salad dressings and bread dips.

>> Not good advice.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Botulism

> <snipped>
>
> I know that steeping herbs in oils is *theoretically* a growing medium for
> botulism, but have there been any documented cases? Of course
> refrigerating
> should make the process perfectly safe, but even unrefrigerated I have
> never
> heard of a single case of poisoning. Is this yet another case where people
> read about some theoretical danger and start running around flapping their
> hands in the air when in fact the danger is miniscule or nonexistent?
>
> So - any documented cases? If so, I want to know about them. If not,
> well.....
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

http://www.ochef.com/272.htm
http://vt.essortment.com/garlicuses_rsuz.htm
http://www.ivillage.com/home/howtogu...ival_freqCap=2

Dimitri

notbob

On 2004-09-29, Kswck > wrote:

> Not for use in a dish that needs to be cooked.
> Best in a dressing, oil & vinegar, dipping oil, etc.

Nonsense. Evoo is just fine for cooked foods. I've even used it for pan
frying. Naturally, it's kinda silly to spend the extra money for EV, but if
you got deal, why not? Besides, is it premium evoo, or just regular evoo?
Evoo just means first pressed, not necessarily high quality.

nb
Peter Aitken

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > m...
> >>
> >> "Nancy Dooley" > wrote in message
> >> om...

> > olive

> >> Not good advice.
> >>
> >> Dimitri
> >>
> >> Botulism

> > <snipped>
> >
> > I know that steeping herbs in oils is *theoretically* a growing medium

for
> > botulism, but have there been any documented cases? Of course
> > refrigerating
> > should make the process perfectly safe, but even unrefrigerated I have
> > never
> > heard of a single case of poisoning. Is this yet another case where

people
> > read about some theoretical danger and start running around flapping

their
> > hands in the air when in fact the danger is miniscule or nonexistent?
> >
> > So - any documented cases? If so, I want to know about them. If not,
> > well.....
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> http://www.ochef.com/272.htm
> http://vt.essortment.com/garlicuses_rsuz.htm

http://www.ivillage.com/home/howtogu...ival_freqCap=2

> Dimitri

C'mon Dimitri, give me a break. Not a single one of your links had the
remotest sign of a documented case of botulism from infusing oil with garlic
or herbs - just more of the fact-free hand-waving about the supposed
dangers. If you cannot do better, fine, but don;t waste my time with this
garbage.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2004-09-29, Kswck > wrote:
>
> > Not for use in a dish that needs to be cooked.
> > Best in a dressing, oil & vinegar, dipping oil, etc.

> Nonsense. Evoo is just fine for cooked foods. I've even used it for pan
> frying. Naturally, it's kinda silly to spend the extra money for EV, but

if
> you got deal, why not? Besides, is it premium evoo, or just regular evoo?
> Evoo just means first pressed, not necessarily high quality.
>
> nb

Agreed. Much EVOO does not have much of a taste and is not at all
expensive - it's fine for cooking. I wouldn't use a $45/pint Tuscan oil to
pan fry my chicken, but I sure will use a $18/gallon Greek EVOO.

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> C'mon Dimitri, give me a break. Not a single one of your links had the
> remotest sign of a documented case of botulism from infusing oil with
> garlic
> or herbs - just more of the fact-free hand-waving about the supposed
> dangers. If you cannot do better, fine, but don;t waste my time with this
> garbage.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

News 03/06/1989
Chopped Garlic in Oil Mixes

P89-9 Food and Drug
Administration
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Chris Lecos (202) 245-1144

The Food and Drug Administration today warned that consumers may risk
potentially fatal botulism food poisoning from some commercial and homemade
chopped garlic-and-oil mixes if they are left at room temperature instead of
refrigerated. The warning follows an investigation of three
hospitalizations
in New York after use of such a product.
The labels of non-preserved commercial products call for refrigeration,
and FDA emphasized this means refrigeration from manufacturing to
consumption. In particular, garlic-and-oil mixes containing little or no
acidifying agent such as phosphoric or citric acid should be kept
refrigerated
at all times, FDA stressed.
FDA also is notifying producers of the commercial products to review the
formulation and labeling of their products. When refrigeration is needed,
both shipping cartons and products sold at retail should be clearly and
prominently labeled with such statements as "Requires Refrigeration for
Safety" or "Refrigerate Both Before and After Opening," FDA advised.
The New York Department of Health announced Feb. 28 that two men and a
woman from Kingston, N.Y., were hospitalized with botulism after a dinner
Feb. 19 at the home of one of the victims. A chopped garlic and oil mix had
been used in a spread for garlic bread.
Preliminary investigation by the state has implicated a commercially
prepared mix, "Colavita Chopped Garlic in Extra Virgin Olive Oil"
distributed
by Colavita Pasta and Oil Co., Newark, N. J. The firm, which is recalling
all
sizes of the product, told New York officials that distribution was
discontinued more than a year ago. Although the Kingston outbreak is still
being investigated, preliminary reports indicate the product may have been
stored at room temperature, even though the container has a "Keep
Refrigerated" statement on its label.
Botulism is a potentially fatal food poisoning characterized by blurred
or
double vision, speech and breathing difficulty and progressive paralysis.
Without prompt and correct treatment, one-third of those diagnosed may die.
Clostridium botulinum bacteria are widespread in the environment and may
be found on various produce, including garlic, but their spores are harmless
when there is oxygen in the environment. However, the spores can produce a
deadly toxin when in an anaerobic (oxygen free), low acid environment.
Recent
FDA studies have shown that garlic in an oil mixture can support bacterial
growth and toxin production even when very few Clostridium botulinum spores
are present.
Chopped garlic in oil has been implicated in botulism poisoning in the
past. For example, in 1985 37 people suffered botulism poisoning after
eating
a commercial chopped garlic in soybean oil at a Vancouver, British Columbia,
restaurant.
ORhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Garlic+oil+poisoning&btnG=Search

Charles Gifford

"MAYA" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
> oil? I bought two liters at a sale.

Extra virgin olive oil is all that I use. I save the oil I like the flavor
of the most for salads, bread, seasoning, etc. The extra virgin oil that I
like less, I use for all other cooking uses where olive oil is appropriate.
The cost of extra virgin is not that much more than lower quality oils and
the flavor is better (usually). Of course some extra virgin olive oil is
*much* more expensive and that I save for special uses.

Charlie

Richard Periut

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "MAYA" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
>>oil? I bought two liters at a sale.

> Extra virgin olive oil is all that I use. I save the oil I like the flavor
> of the most for salads, bread, seasoning, etc. The extra virgin oil that I
> like less, I use for all other cooking uses where olive oil is appropriate.
> The cost of extra virgin is not that much more than lower quality oils and
> the flavor is better (usually). Of course some extra virgin olive oil is
> *much* more expensive and that I save for special uses.
>
> Charlie

EVOO has a lower smoking point than regular olive oil. It's a waste of
money to use the good stuff, with its great nuances, and waste it all on
cooking it. It's like taking caviar, and boiling it for hours.

For deep frying or regular pan frying, corn oil is pretty good. Lard is
the best, but many are scared of it because it's animal fat.

The cost of good quality fruity EVOO is much higher than the mediocre
stuff; unless you are buying the crap they sell at the stupidmarket.

Goya EVOO is the best for the prices; packs quite a fruity punch.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "MAYA" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
>>oil? I bought two liters at a sale.

> Extra virgin olive oil is all that I use. I save the oil I like the flavor
> of the most for salads, bread, seasoning, etc. The extra virgin oil that I
> like less, I use for all other cooking uses where olive oil is appropriate.
> The cost of extra virgin is not that much more than lower quality oils and
> the flavor is better (usually). Of course some extra virgin olive oil is
> *much* more expensive and that I save for special uses.
>
> Charlie

EVOO has a lower smoking point than regular olive oil. It's a waste of
money to use the good stuff, with its great nuances, and waste it all on
cooking it. It's like taking caviar, and boiling it for hours.

For deep frying or regular pan frying, corn oil is pretty good. Lard is
the best, but many are scared of it because it's animal fat.

The cost of good quality fruity EVOO is much higher than the mediocre
stuff; unless you are buying the crap they sell at the stupidmarket.

Goya EVOO is the best for the prices; packs quite a fruity punch.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Nathalie Chiva

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:34:38 GMT, "Kswck" > wrote:

>> Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
>> that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
>> like salad dressings and bread dips.
>>

>I recall some articles that said NOT to flavor oil w/garlic. Botulism. Leave
>that to the professionals.

Ahem. She *did* say "refrigerate".

Nathalie in Switzerland

Nathalie Chiva

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 22:34:38 GMT, "Kswck" > wrote:

>> Flavor a couple quarts - with garlic or other herbs - refrigerate -
>> that will use some of it up, and it comes in very handy for things
>> like salad dressings and bread dips.
>>

>I recall some articles that said NOT to flavor oil w/garlic. Botulism. Leave
>that to the professionals.

Ahem. She *did* say "refrigerate".

Nathalie in Switzerland

Peter Aitken

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > C'mon Dimitri, give me a break. Not a single one of your links had the
> > remotest sign of a documented case of botulism from infusing oil with
> > garlic
> > or herbs - just more of the fact-free hand-waving about the supposed
> > dangers. If you cannot do better, fine, but don;t waste my time with

this
> > garbage.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> News 03/06/1989
> Chopped Garlic in Oil Mixes
>

> P89-9 Food and Drug
> Administration
> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Chris Lecos (202)

245-1144

> The Food and Drug Administration today warned that consumers may risk
> potentially fatal botulism food poisoning from some commercial and

homemade
> chopped garlic-and-oil mixes if they are left at room temperature instead

of
> refrigerated. The warning follows an investigation of three
> hospitalizations
> in New York after use of such a product.

<snipped>

THANK YOU (finally)!!

--
Peter Aitken

Default User

Dimitri wrote:

"if they are left at room temperature instead of refrigerated."

The OP specifically said to refrigerate.

Brian
Dimitri

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> "if they are left at room temperature instead of refrigerated."
>

> The OP specifically said to refrigerate.
>

> Brian

Kewl - go ahead and make some I prefer to use the commercial variety which
has preservatives.

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> "if they are left at room temperature instead of refrigerated."
>

> The OP specifically said to refrigerate.
>

> Brian

You might want to read this AMA patient history:

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/article/3707-3917.html

That way you'll know what to tell the doctors.

Dimitri

Dimitri wrote:

> You might want to read this AMA patient history:
>
> http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/article/3707-3917.html
>
> That way you'll know what to tell the doctors.

What exactly is your point? There are a number of products that are
safe if kept refrigerated but dangerous if not. You're just ****ed
because you pulled a Sheldon on the previous message and made yourself
look dumb.

Brian

Dimitri wrote:

> You might want to read this AMA patient history:
>
> http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/article/3707-3917.html
>
> That way you'll know what to tell the doctors.

What exactly is your point? There are a number of products that are
safe if kept refrigerated but dangerous if not. You're just ****ed
because you pulled a Sheldon on the previous message and made yourself
look dumb.

Brian
Dimitri

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> You might want to read this AMA patient history:
>>
>> http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/article/3707-3917.html
>>
>> That way you'll know what to tell the doctors.

> What exactly is your point?

What's yours?

You really are a big help.....

Aren't you?

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>
>> You might want to read this AMA patient history:
>>
>> http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/article/3707-3917.html
>>
>> That way you'll know what to tell the doctors.

> What exactly is your point?

What's yours?

You really are a big help.....

Aren't you?

Dimitri

Charles Gifford

"Richard Periut" > wrote in message

> EVOO has a lower smoking point than regular olive oil. It's a waste of
> money to use the good stuff, with its great nuances, and waste it all on
> cooking it. It's like taking caviar, and boiling it for hours.
>
> For deep frying or regular pan frying, corn oil is pretty good. Lard is
> the best, but many are scared of it because it's animal fat.
>
> The cost of good quality fruity EVOO is much higher than the mediocre
> stuff; unless you are buying the crap they sell at the stupidmarket.
>
> Goya EVOO is the best for the prices; packs quite a fruity punch.
>
> Rich

Thank you for sharing your personal opinion.

Charlie

PENMART01

>"Charles Gifford" writes:
>
>"Richard Periut" wrote:
>>
>> Goya EVOO is the best for the prices; packs quite a fruity punch.

>Thank you for sharing your personal opinion.

I wonder how he means "packs quite a fruity punch"... does he mean two fisted
or limp wristed.

Dimitri wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message

> > What exactly is your point?

> What's yours?
>
> You really are a big help.....
>
> Aren't you?

I try to be, like pointing out when someone has posted bogus
information.

Look, it wasn't that big of deal. You didn't thoroughly read the stuff
you posted. It happens.

The question yet to be resolved is, is garlic-infused oil that *is*
refrigerated potentially dangerous? I don't know, nor could I tell from
the stuff you posted.

Don't get so bent out of shape. Like I said, one Sheldumb is enough.
Don't go into his "I've been caught in a small error so I'll go all
attack dog on the person who called me on it.

Brian
Dimitri

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
>

>> "Default User" > wrote in message

>> > What exactly is your point?

>> What's yours?
>>
>> You really are a big help.....
>>
>> Aren't you?

> I try to be, like pointing out when someone has posted bogus
> information.
>
> Look, it wasn't that big of deal. You didn't thoroughly read the stuff
> you posted. It happens.
>
> The question yet to be resolved is, is garlic-infused oil that *is*
> refrigerated potentially dangerous? I don't know, nor could I tell from
> the stuff you posted.
>
> Don't get so bent out of shape. Like I said, one Sheldumb is enough.
> Don't go into his "I've been caught in a small error so I'll go all
> attack dog on the person who called me on it.
>

> Brian

http://foodsafety.unl.edu/html/clostridium.html

Microorganism Characteristics: Gram negative rod-shaped sporeforming
anaerobic bacteria that forms a neurotoxin. Seven toxin types are known and
designated A,B,C,D,E,F, and G.

Growth conditions:

Temperature range: 3-48°C (38-118°F)
Type A and B: 10-50ºC (50-122ºF)
Type E: 3-45ºC (38-113ºF)
Optimum Temperature for toxin development: 35°C (95°F)
pH range: 4.6 - 8.9
Lowest reported Aw for growth: 0.95

The Disease: Botulism results from consumption of foods contaminated with
the preformed toxin. Toxin types A, B, and E most often are associated with
botulism in humans. Type A and B is most often associated with soil and Type
E is associated with water (seafood).

Then google this: . Garlic-in-oil associated botulism no quotes.

Dimitri

Dimitri wrote:

> Growth conditions:
>
> Temperature range: 3-480C (38-1180F)
> Type A and B: 10-50:C (50-122:F)
> Type E: 3-45:C (38-113:F)
> Optimum Temperature for toxin development: 350C (950F)
> pH range: 4.6 - 8.9
> Lowest reported Aw for growth: 0.95

Ok, what's the growth rate at the bottom end, which is what you'd
expect for most refrigeration conditions? Note that the optimum
development temp is way higher than that.

> The Disease: Botulism results from consumption of foods contaminated
> with the preformed toxin. Toxin types A, B, and E most often are
> associated with botulism in humans. Type A and B is most often
> associated with soil and Type E is associated with water (seafood).

With the ranges given above, A and B should be discounted then. That
leaves E. Is E the one that garlic-infused oil is prone to?

> Then google this: . Garlic-in-oil associated botulism no quotes.

I have no interest in doing your research for you.

Brian

Dimitri wrote:

> Growth conditions:
>
> Temperature range: 3-480C (38-1180F)
> Type A and B: 10-50:C (50-122:F)
> Type E: 3-45:C (38-113:F)
> Optimum Temperature for toxin development: 350C (950F)
> pH range: 4.6 - 8.9
> Lowest reported Aw for growth: 0.95

Ok, what's the growth rate at the bottom end, which is what you'd
expect for most refrigeration conditions? Note that the optimum
development temp is way higher than that.

> The Disease: Botulism results from consumption of foods contaminated
> with the preformed toxin. Toxin types A, B, and E most often are
> associated with botulism in humans. Type A and B is most often
> associated with soil and Type E is associated with water (seafood).

With the ranges given above, A and B should be discounted then. That
leaves E. Is E the one that garlic-infused oil is prone to?

> Then google this: . Garlic-in-oil associated botulism no quotes.

I have no interest in doing your research for you.

Brian
Luca Pinotti

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >Can anyone suggest some recipes that specifically use extra-virgin olive
>>oil? I bought two liters at a sale.
>>
>>MAYA

> There are none... extra virgins are eaten au jus.

You are talking about girls, not oil...

Luca

---
Nolite proicere margaritas ad porcos