Old 07-08-2005, 04:09 PM
cheyjohn

Default Best wood for spoons

I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

Chey

Old 07-08-2005, 04:12 PM
morgul the friendly drelb

Try olivewood

Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Nancy Young

"cheyjohn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

I love my olive wood spoon, smooth as silk and pretty, too.
Don't know where to get more, I could use some. I hate those
crappy cheap spoons you can get. So rough. (shudder)

nancy

Old 07-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Nancy Young

"morgul the friendly drelb" wrote

Try olivewood

Woah! You had me beat.

nancy

Old 07-08-2005, 05:00 PM
AlleyGator

"cheyjohn" wrote:

I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

Chey

I thought I read somewhere that bamboo is a little more expensive, but
durable. Now I see the posts about olive wood, so maybe that was it.
Not much help, huh?

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:31 PM
cathyxyz

cheyjohn wrote:
I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

Chey

Apparently birch, cherry, oak, walnut or hickory make good wooden spoons.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French.
Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce
makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

Alice May Brock
Old 07-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Goomba38

cheyjohn wrote:
I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

Chey

I found a package of three bamboo spoons (various shapes from round to
more slanted paddle) at the military commissary for the bank breaking
price of $1.77. They have been my favorites.These are larger than most
wooden spoons I've seen and they also go right into the dishwasher. I
usually don't care for wooden spoons but when I bought my Le Crueset
dutch oven I wanted to keep from scratching it. I LOVE these things.
Goomba
Old 07-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Rick & Cyndi

"cheyjohn" wrote in message
oups.com...
I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

Chey
=====

Olive! It/they rock!

Cyndi

Old 07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"cathyxyz" wrote in message

Apparently birch, cherry, oak, walnut or hickory make good wooden spoons.

Make that white oak, not red as it would be terrible for food items.

Add maple to the list.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
cheyjohn

Wow, I can't believe the responses. You guys are wonderful! I will
take your suggestions and see what I can find. Thank you so very very
much!

Chey

Old 07-08-2005, 10:28 PM
sf

On 7 Aug 2005 12:04:19 -0700, cheyjohn wrote:

Wow, I can't believe the responses. You guys are wonderful! I will
take your suggestions and see what I can find. Thank you so very very
much!

I don't even know what wood mine are, they are the cheapest you can
buy at Cost Plus, the grocery store etc and they last (literally) for
decades. I have one myrtlewood spatula and that's as fancy as I've
gotten.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Sheldon

sf wrote:
On 7 Aug 2005 12:04:19 -0700, cheyjohn wrote:

Wow, I can't believe the responses. You guys are wonderful! I will
take your suggestions and see what I can find. Thank you so very very
much!

I don't even know what wood mine are, they are the cheapest you can
buy at Cost Plus, the grocery store etc and they last (literally) for
decades. I have one myrtlewood spatula and that's as fancy as I've
gotten.

The typical cheapo wooden spoons found at the stupidmarket are birch,
properly cared for they'll last a lifetime. If you're into esthetics
there are probably a hundred different woods that are used for spoons,
from Abachi to Zebrano.

http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/techmenu.html

Sheldon

Old 07-08-2005, 11:23 PM
Puester

Nancy Young wrote:
"cheyjohn" wrote in message
oups.com...

I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though. I
have bought the dollar store type and wasn't thrilled. I have one
spatula/spoon that my MIL gave me years ago and I think it's made of
teak, but I am not sure. I grab it for most everything.

Is there a type of wood that is better than others? Or do you have a
wood preference for spoons? Thanks!

I love my olive wood spoon, smooth as silk and pretty, too.
Don't know where to get more, I could use some. I hate those
crappy cheap spoons you can get. So rough. (shudder)

nancy

Sur la Table has crocks full of them in all shapes and sizes.
Yes, they look and feel elegant.

gloria p
Old 07-08-2005, 11:25 PM
notbob

On 2005-08-07, cheyjohn wrote:
I love my wooden spoons and want to purchase some for my sons new
apartment. I began to wonder what the best type of wood is though....

Cooking or musical?

nb
Old 07-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Nancy Young

"Puester" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

I love my olive wood spoon, smooth as silk and pretty, too.
Don't know where to get more, I could use some. I hate those
crappy cheap spoons you can get. So rough. (shudder)

Sur la Table has crocks full of them in all shapes and sizes.
Yes, they look and feel elegant.

Thanks! nancy

Olive Wood Spoons [email protected] General Cooking 3 10-07-2013 02:39 PM
Olive Wood Spoons Timo General Cooking 1 10-07-2013 05:58 AM
Spoons SA[_2_] Cooking Equipment 51 06-10-2007 02:22 AM
SPOONS Sheldon General Cooking 8 04-03-2006 03:06 AM
spoons zoe Restaurants 7 14-11-2003 11:02 PM