pjjehg

Default REC: Summer Squash Recipes (6 total; 2 in each post)

These recipes are posted with a disclaimer. I have not made a single one of
these recipes---so there! They are presented here for three reasons: 1)
these food items have been a regular topic of discussion/recipes on the
group, recently; 2) I've been sorting and sorting and sorting through all
these ripped-out magazine pages of recipes (because we're moving) and there
they were; and 3) it gives you all some "fodder" for experimentation.. I
will answer no questions because I can't, nor can I give opinions.

Cheese-Stuffed Zucchini (Bon Appetit 8/95)

4 servings

4 medium zucchini

1/2c (or more) Italian seasoned breadcrumbs

1/3c freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 egg, beaten to blend

1/2 tsp dried thyme, crumbled

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled

1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper

Salt

1/4c shredded cheddar cheese

1/4c shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add zucchini and cook until just
tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from water using slotted spoon. Cool
slightly.

Heat oven to 350 degF. Combine 1/2c breadcrumbs, Parmesan, egg, thyme,
garlic powder, oregano, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Slice zucchini
lengthwise and scoop out center pulp. Coarsely chop pulp and drain. Add to
breadcrumb mixture and blend well. (If misture is too wet, add more
breadcrumbs.) Spoon mixture into zucchini halves. Sprinkle with cheddar and
Monterey Jack. Transfer to baking sheet. Bake until heated through and
cheese bubbles, about 15 minutes.

Crookneck Squash, Leek and Watercress Soup (Bon Appetit 4/87)

8 servings

1/4c unsalted butter

6 leeks (white part only), chopped

3 lbs yellow crookneck squash (trimmed), necks thinly sliced, remainder
chopped

2 qts (or more) chicken stock

Dash of hot pepper sauce

Salt and freshly ground pepper

2 bunches watercress, stemmed

Sour cream

Watercress leaves

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leeks and cook
until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add chopped squash
and stir 4 minutes. Add 2 qts stock and simmer until squash is tender, about
15 minutes. Add hot pepper sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 bunches
of watercress and simmer 2 minutes. Puree soup in blender until smooth. (Can
be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.) Just before serving, warm soup,
thinning with more stock if desired. Ladle into heated bowls. Garnish with
sliced squash, sour cream and watercress.

pjjehg

> These recipes are posted with a disclaimer. I have not made a single one
> of these recipes---so there! They are presented here for three reasons:
> 1) these food items have been a regular topic of discussion/recipes on the
> group, recently; 2) I've been sorting and sorting and sorting through all
> these ripped-out magazine pages of recipes (because we're moving) and
> there they were; and 3) it gives you all some "fodder" for
> experimentation.. I will answer no questions because I can't, nor can I
> give opinions.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Soup (Carol McKenzie, Sebanton restaurant,
Longmont, CO, via Bon Appetit 7/87)

6 - 8 servings

1/4c olive oil

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

1 Tbsp minced shallots

1 1/2 tsp minced garlic

1/4c all-purpose flour

2 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 1/2c)

2 large crookneck squash, sliced in 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1 1/2c)

3c rich chicken stock (preferably homemade)

3c whipping cream

2 tsp minced fresh basil

2 tsp minced fresh oregano

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion, shallots
and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about
10 minutes. Add flour and stir 3 minutes. Add zucchini and crookneck squash
and cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in
stock, cream, basil and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Season
with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Chilled Zucchini Soup (Bon Appetit 7/89)

4 - 6 servings

1 - 1 1/2c canned chicken broth

2 lbs zucchini, sliced

1 small onion, chopped

1 boiling potato, peeled and chopped

1c whipping cream

1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh dill

Salt and pepper

Bring 1c broth to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium. Add
zucchini, onion and potato and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Puree in
blender. Blend in cream, thinning with more broth if desired. Add dill.
Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2
hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

pjjehg

> These recipes are posted with a disclaimer. I have not made a single one
> of these recipes---so there! They are presented here for three reasons:
> 1) these food items have been a regular topic of discussion/recipes on the
> group, recently; 2) I've been sorting and sorting and sorting through all
> these ripped-out magazine pages of recipes (because we're moving) and
> there they were; and 3) it gives you all some "fodder" for
> experimentation.. I will answer no questions because I can't, nor can I
> give opinions.

Yellow Squash with Emerald Rice (John Chesteen via Bon Appetit 5/86)

12 servings

1 egg yolk

1c cooked and cooled rice

1/4c minced fresh spinach

1/4c minced green bell pepper

1/4c whipping cream, beaten to stiff peaks

3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese

2 Tbsp minced onion

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp paprika

2 egg whites, room temperature

Pinch of cream of tartar

6 medium-size yellow zucchini, halved length-wise and seeded

Sour cream

Snipped fresh chives

Heat oven to 325 degF. Line baking pan with foil. Beat egg yolk to blend in
large bowl. Mix in rice, spinach, green pepper, cream, cheese, onion, salt
and paprika. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.) Beat whites
with cream of tartar in another bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold into rice
mixture. Spoon into squash halves. Arrange in prepared pan. Bake until light
brown, about 30 minutes. Top with sour cream and chives and serve.

"Soused" Zucchini (Bon Appetit 5/86)

6 servings

"A popular dish in many regions of Italy. It works well as part of an
antipasto or as a side dish. Try flavoring it with oregano or marjoram for a
pleasant variation. Taste will be even better if made 1 day ahead."

1 lb zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds

1 lb yellow crookneck squash, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds

Salt

Olive oil

1/2c fresh basil leaves

1/4c fresh mint leaves

3 Tbsp red wine vinegar

2 medium garlic cloves, minced

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine zucchini and yellow squash in colander. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Weight with heavy object and let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

Heat 1/4-inch oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high. Add squash in
batches (do not crowd) and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each
side. Transfer to platter, using slotted spoon, and alternate yellow and
green slices, overlapping slightly. Tuck basil and mint leaves between
squash. Sprinkle with vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Let stand 1 hour.
(Can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.) Serve at room temperature.