Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Summer Squash Patties

Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes

I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash but
never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a few
variations (noted below).

Summer Squash Patties

2 c. grated yellow squash
1/4 c. self-rising flour
1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
1 small onion, chopped
1 egg, beaten
pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan. [the
author notes she uses olive oil.] Brown on both sides. Drain on paper
towel.
**********************
I'll be making a few changes to this recipe. For one thing, I don't own
self-rising anything. I'll just add the salt and baking powder to the flour
and cornmeal myself. I also tend to drain pan-fried items on brown paper,
not paper towels. It's more absorbent. It's also a good way to use
recycled paper bags from the grocery store. I also will not waste olive oil
on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the author sounds
pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the she jumped on the
olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes anyone more or less
food literate. Corn or canola oil will do just fine for this squash dish.
Oh, and she didn't mention adding salt. I suspect (even with the breading)
this dish will need some salt.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Summer Squash Patties

"jmcquown"
I also will not waste olive oil
> on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the author
> sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the she
> jumped on the > olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes
> anyone more or less > food literate.

Olive oil gives things a flavor you won't find with other oils. Am I
pretentious? IMO, not because I also specify olive oil for certain things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi said...

> "jmcquown"
> I also will not waste olive oil
>> on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the author
>> sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the she
>> jumped on the > olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil
>> makes anyone more or less > food literate.

> Olive oil gives things a flavor you won't find with other oils. Am I
> pretentious? IMO, not because I also specify olive oil for certain
> things.

Olive oil has it's place where it's flavor is warranted, as part of a salad
dressing, as a pizza treatment, tapenade (naturally), pesto, etc.

I favor a flavor neutral oil like safflower oil. For instance I wouldn't
make pancakes, scrambled eggs or fish using olive oil.

YMMV.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown"
> I also will not waste olive oil
>> on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the author
>> sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the she
>> jumped on the > olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes
>> anyone more or less > food literate.

> Olive oil gives things a flavor you won't find with other oils. Am I
> pretentious? IMO, not because I also specify olive oil for certain
> things.

Olive oil is wonderful stuff. But some people spout on and on about olive
oil as though that makes them some sort of cooking expert. It's like the
big balsamic vinegar craze... add it to everything! Don't think so. And
coloured sea salts. Some people watch way too much FoodTV

Certain foods are delicate and need a more neutral oil. Squash can easily
be overwhelmed. I happen to like the taste of squash without it tasting of
olive oil. Maybe next time around I'll use olive oil. Not this time,
though

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 4, 9:47*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> Olive oil is wonderful stuff. *But some people spout on and on about olive
> oil as though that makes them some sort of cooking expert. *It's like the
> big balsamic vinegar craze... add it to everything! *Don't think so. *And
> coloured sea salts. *Some people watch way too much FoodTV
>
> Certain foods are delicate and need a more neutral oil. *Squash can easily
> be overwhelmed. *I happen to like the taste of squash without it tasting of
> olive oil. *Maybe next time around I'll use olive oil. *Not this time,
> though

For this recipe, I think regular corn oil would be better to brown the
patties than olive oil, too. For one thing, it has a higher smoking
point than olive oil and you need to get the oil quite hot to brown
and cook and not stick, I would think. The browning part is where the
taste is, not the olive oil, so I think your first inclination is spot
on.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen"
For this recipe, I think regular corn oil would be better to brown
thepatties than olive oil, too.

Do try it sometime, because the nuttiness of OO is very appealing with
squash. We don't very often use other oils here, but we do get things
browned!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:12:23 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>self-rising cornmeal

Maybe this product has been out forever and I just haven't noticed,
but it seems like I've seen several recipes lately calling for S-R
cornmeal. Not sure I'd want poofy squash patties though. Maybe
regular flour on the inside with a regular cornmeal coating... or
maybe no flour on the inside.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 18:21:17 +0200, "Giusi" > wrote:

>"jmcquown"
> I also will not waste olive oil
>> on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the author
>> sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the she
>> jumped on the > olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes
>> anyone more or less > food literate.

>Olive oil gives things a flavor you won't find with other oils. Am I
>pretentious? IMO, not because I also specify olive oil for certain things.

I like olive oil and use it almost exclusively now that EVOO is so
inexpensive. I'm less likely to use it in salad dressing (I cut it
with Canola) than I am to use it in a pan to cook with.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown"
> I also will not waste olive oil
>> on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the author
>> sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the she
>> jumped on the > olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes
>> anyone more or less > food literate.

> Olive oil gives things a flavor you won't find with other oils. Am I
> pretentious?

Pretentious, not really, mostly you're an idiot... not all olive oils impart
flavor, in fact most are pretty bland, many are as flavorful as ordinary
generic salad oil. I think most of the fancy schmancy dago olive oils that
are strongly flavored are flavored with artificial flavorings, or they sneak
in some Spansh olives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Karen"
> For this recipe, I think regular corn oil would be better to brown
> thepatties than olive oil, too.
>
> Do try it sometime, because the nuttiness of OO is very appealing with
> squash. We don't very often use other oils here, but we do get things
> browned!

Yeah, you rub it into your noses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
>
> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a
> few variations (noted below).
>
> Summer Squash Patties
>
> 2 c. grated yellow squash
> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 1 egg, beaten
> pepper to taste
>
> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.

I think those ingredients in those proportions are more fit to make
fritters, I'd deep fry. And I'd lightly saute the onion first or the
internal bits will remain raw. Yellow squash hasn't much flavor anyway so I
wouldn't add more than maybe two Tbls of onion, and the recipe definitely
needs some salt too. I wouldn't waste too many nice yellow squash on this,
look for some of those freebie giant zukes folks drop off by your door at
midnight. And regardless how cooked that will end up a high fat recipe...
why don't you consider using a bit more cornmeal and bake some muffins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" wrote in message
>> "jmcquown"
>> I also will not waste olive oil
>>> on something like this.

>> Olive oil gives things a flavor you won't find with other oils.

> Pretentious, not really, mostly you're an idiot... not all olive oils
> impart > flavor, in fact most are pretty bland, many are as flavorful as
> ordinary > generic salad oil. I think most of the fancy schmancy dago
> olive oils that are strongly flavored are flavored with artificial
> flavorings, or they sneak > in some Spansh olives.

You know I actually help pick, deliver and then watch my olive oil get
pressed every November. What you THINK (haha) has not an effing thing to do
with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
>>
>> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
>> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a
>> few variations (noted below).
>>
>> Summer Squash Patties
>>
>> 2 c. grated yellow squash
>> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
>> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
>> 1 small onion, chopped
>> 1 egg, beaten
>> pepper to taste
>>
>> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.

> I think those ingredients in those proportions are more fit to make
> fritters, I'd deep fry. And I'd lightly saute the onion first or the
> internal bits will remain raw. Yellow squash hasn't much flavor anyway so
> I wouldn't add more than maybe two Tbls of onion, and the recipe
> definitely needs some salt too. I wouldn't waste too many nice yellow
> squash on this, look for some of those freebie giant zukes folks drop off
> by your door at midnight. And regardless how cooked that will end up a
> high fat recipe... why don't you consider using a bit more cornmeal and
> bake some muffins.

Just got done baking cornbread in my handy dandy cast iron (useless
cookware) skillet I posted the recipe as it was listed, not as I was
planning to make it. Obviously it will need salt. Don't know about your
yellow squash but the ones I buy down here are nicely sweet.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I like olive oil and use it almost exclusively now that EVOO is so
> inexpensive. I'm less likely to use it in salad dressing (I cut it
> with Canola) than I am to use it in a pan to cook with.

I use a good olive oil for cooking with, and save the extra virgin for
salads, garnishes and other uncooked dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
>
> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a
> few variations (noted below).
>
> Summer Squash Patties
>
> 2 c. grated yellow squash
> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 1 egg, beaten
> pepper to taste
>
> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.
> [the author notes she uses olive oil.] Brown on both sides. Drain on
> paper towel.
> **********************
> I'll be making a few changes to this recipe. For one thing, I don't own
> self-rising anything. I'll just add the salt and baking powder to the
> flour and cornmeal myself. I also tend to drain pan-fried items on brown
> paper, not paper towels. It's more absorbent. It's also a good way to
> use recycled paper bags from the grocery store. I also will not waste
> olive oil on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the
> author sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the
> she jumped on the olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes
> anyone more or less food literate. Corn or canola oil will do just fine
> for this squash dish. Oh, and she didn't mention adding salt. I suspect
> (even with the breading) this dish will need some salt.

Thanks, that sounds really good. Question, do you use the seeds in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
>>>
>>> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
>>> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With
>>> a few variations (noted below).
>>>
>>> Summer Squash Patties
>>>
>>> 2 c. grated yellow squash
>>> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
>>> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
>>> 1 small onion, chopped
>>> 1 egg, beaten
>>> pepper to taste
>>>
>>> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.

>> I think those ingredients in those proportions are more fit to make
>> fritters, I'd deep fry. And I'd lightly saute the onion first or the
>> internal bits will remain raw. Yellow squash hasn't much flavor anyway
>> so I wouldn't add more than maybe two Tbls of onion, and the recipe
>> definitely needs some salt too. I wouldn't waste too many nice yellow
>> squash on this, look for some of those freebie giant zukes folks drop off
>> by your door at midnight. And regardless how cooked that will end up a
>> high fat recipe... why don't you consider using a bit more cornmeal and
>> bake some muffins.
>>

> Just got done baking cornbread in my handy dandy cast iron (useless
> cookware) skillet I posted the recipe as it was listed, not as I was
> planning to make it. Obviously it will need salt. Don't know about your
> yellow squash but the ones I buy down here are nicely sweet.

You won't taste one squash from another in that kind of recipe, it's more a
baked product (like applesauce cake) than a vegetable. You'd do better to
slice your squash lenthwise (~1/4"), brush lighty with oil and dust with a
mixture of seasoned cornmeal and flour and fry em, better yet grill em.
That recipe you found will totally waste all those ingredients including
your time and effort, plus it'll soak up fat like crazy and add 5 pounds to
your ass. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

> For this recipe, I think regular corn oil would be better to brown the
> patties than olive oil, too. For one thing, it has a higher smoking
> point than olive oil and you need to get the oil quite hot to brown
> and cook and not stick, I would think. The browning part is where the
> taste is, not the olive oil, so I think your first inclination is spot
> on.
>
> Karen

But butter would taste SO GOOD!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
>>
>> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
>> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a
>> few variations (noted below).
>>
>> Summer Squash Patties
>>
>> 2 c. grated yellow squash
>> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
>> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
>> 1 small onion, chopped
>> 1 egg, beaten
>> pepper to taste
>>
>> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.
>> [the author notes she uses olive oil.] Brown on both sides. Drain on
>> paper towel.
>> **********************
>> I'll be making a few changes to this recipe. For one thing, I don't own
>> self-rising anything. I'll just add the salt and baking powder to the
>> flour and cornmeal myself. I also tend to drain pan-fried items on brown
>> paper, not paper towels. It's more absorbent. It's also a good way to
>> use recycled paper bags from the grocery store. I also will not waste
>> olive oil on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the
>> author sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the
>> she jumped on the olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil
>> makes anyone more or less food literate. Corn or canola oil will do just
>> fine for this squash dish. Oh, and she didn't mention adding salt. I
>> suspect (even with the breading) this dish will need some salt.

> Thanks, that sounds really good. Question, do you use the seeds in it?

The seeds in summer squash are inconsequential. (And I know about having to
watch out for seeds.) Summer squash isn't like eggplant which has hard
little seeds that can cause digestive problems.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:12:23 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> >Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
> >
> >I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash but
> >never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a few
> >variations (noted below).
> >
> >Summer Squash Patties
> >
> >2 c. grated yellow squash
> >1/4 c. self-rising flour
> >1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
> >1 small onion, chopped
> >1 egg, beaten
> >pepper to taste
> >
> >Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan. [the
> >author notes she uses olive oil.] Brown on both sides. Drain on paper
> >towel.

> Mmm..that does sound good. Glad you posted this. Maybe when I feel
> more like cooking/eating I can make this.
>
> Want to come over and cook for me for a few days?
>
> Christine, trying to induce rfc denizens to come over and cook for
> her.. Already have Arri lined up.
> --

Yabbut...don't know anything about Southern cooking LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Recipe found on About.com: Southern Recipes
>>>
>>> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
>>> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With
>>> a few variations (noted below).
>>>
>>> Summer Squash Patties
>>>
>>> 2 c. grated yellow squash
>>> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
>>> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
>>> 1 small onion, chopped
>>> 1 egg, beaten
>>> pepper to taste
>>>
>>> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.
>>> [the author notes she uses olive oil.] Brown on both sides. Drain on
>>> paper towel.
>>> **********************
>>> I'll be making a few changes to this recipe. For one thing, I don't own
>>> self-rising anything. I'll just add the salt and baking powder to the
>>> flour and cornmeal myself. I also tend to drain pan-fried items on
>>> brown paper, not paper towels. It's more absorbent. It's also a good
>>> way to use recycled paper bags from the grocery store. I also will not
>>> waste olive oil on something like this. While the dish sounds
>>> interesting the author sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil.
>>> It's like the she jumped on the olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using
>>> olive oil makes anyone more or less food literate. Corn or canola oil
>>> will do just fine for this squash dish. Oh, and she didn't mention
>>> adding salt. I suspect (even with the breading) this dish will need
>>> some salt.

>> Thanks, that sounds really good. Question, do you use the seeds in it?
>>

> The seeds in summer squash are inconsequential. (And I know about having
> to watch out for seeds.) Summer squash isn't like eggplant which has hard
> little seeds that can cause digestive problems.

So, yes? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill wrote:

> I've heard of all kinds of ways to cook yellow (crookneck) summer squash
> but never this one. It sounds intriguing so I think I'll try it. With a
> few variations (noted below).
>
> Summer Squash Patties
>
> 2 c. grated yellow squash
> 1/4 c. self-rising flour
> 1/4 c. self-rising cornmeal
> 1 small onion, chopped
> 1 egg, beaten
> pepper to taste
>
> Mix all ingredients together. Spoon out into hot greased frying pan.
> [the author notes she uses olive oil.] Brown on both sides. Drain on
> paper towel.
> **********************
> I'll be making a few changes to this recipe. For one thing, I don't own
> self-rising anything. I'll just add the salt and baking powder to the
> flour and cornmeal myself. I also tend to drain pan-fried items on brown
> paper, not paper towels. It's more absorbent. It's also a good way to
> use recycled paper bags from the grocery store. I also will not waste
> olive oil on something like this. While the dish sounds interesting the
> author sounds pretentious specifying she uses olive oil. It's like the
> she jumped on the olive oil bandwagon. I don't find using olive oil makes
> anyone more or less food literate. Corn or canola oil will do just fine
> for this squash dish. Oh, and she didn't mention adding salt. I suspect
> (even with the breading) this dish will need some salt.

1. Good call on the salt; it's a real flaw in the recipe that salt isn't
mentioned.

2. Corn oil and canola oil used for frying always impart what I think of as
a "carny" taste. I use grapeseed oil or safflower oil if I want it neutral.
But for this recipe, I'd strongly consider using butter (as Gloria
suggested) or bacon grease.

3. It's been mentioned here before that about.com carries some really crappy
recipes. I hope this one works out for you.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks, that sounds really good. Question, do you use the seeds in it?
>>>

>> The seeds in summer squash are inconsequential. (And I know about having
>> to watch out for seeds.) Summer squash isn't like eggplant which has
>> hard little seeds that can cause digestive problems.
>>

> So, yes? )

Yes! However I didn't cook these tonight after all. I was invited over for
dinner as a thank you for taking care of my neighbor's cats for nearly three
weeks I'll give the recipe a try tomorrow.

Jill