pjjehg

> These recipes are posted with a disclaimer. I have not made a single one
> of these recipes---so there! They are presented here for three reasons:
> 1) these food items have been a regular topic of discussion/recipes on the
> group, recently; 2) I've been sorting and sorting and sorting through all
> these ripped-out magazine pages of recipes (because we're moving) and
> there they were; and 3) it gives you all some "fodder" for
> experimentation.. I will answer no questions because I can't, nor can I
> give opinions.

Yellow Squash with Emerald Rice (John Chesteen via Bon Appetit 5/86)

12 servings

1 egg yolk

1c cooked and cooled rice

1/4c minced fresh spinach

1/4c minced green bell pepper

1/4c whipping cream, beaten to stiff peaks

3 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese

2 Tbsp minced onion

1/4 tsp salt

1/8 tsp paprika

2 egg whites, room temperature

Pinch of cream of tartar

6 medium-size yellow zucchini, halved length-wise and seeded

Sour cream

Snipped fresh chives

Heat oven to 325 degF. Line baking pan with foil. Beat egg yolk to blend in
large bowl. Mix in rice, spinach, green pepper, cream, cheese, onion, salt
and paprika. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.) Beat whites
with cream of tartar in another bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold into rice
mixture. Spoon into squash halves. Arrange in prepared pan. Bake until light
brown, about 30 minutes. Top with sour cream and chives and serve.

"Soused" Zucchini (Bon Appetit 5/86)

6 servings

"A popular dish in many regions of Italy. It works well as part of an
antipasto or as a side dish. Try flavoring it with oregano or marjoram for a
pleasant variation. Taste will be even better if made 1 day ahead."

1 lb zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds

1 lb yellow crookneck squash, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds

Salt

Olive oil

1/2c fresh basil leaves

1/4c fresh mint leaves

3 Tbsp red wine vinegar

2 medium garlic cloves, minced

Salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine zucchini and yellow squash in colander. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
Weight with heavy object and let stand 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

Heat 1/4-inch oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high. Add squash in
batches (do not crowd) and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each
side. Transfer to platter, using slotted spoon, and alternate yellow and
green slices, overlapping slightly. Tuck basil and mint leaves between
squash. Sprinkle with vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Let stand 1 hour.
(Can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated.) Serve at room temperature.