Jude

Default successful Barb's custard cake variations?

I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

sf

On 4 Aug 2005 10:25:48 -0700, Jude wrote:

> I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
> cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
> one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
> it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
> cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
> What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

Have you tried the frozen food section? I think it's in bags.
Sarah

"sf" <sf@gmail> wrote in message
> On 4 Aug 2005 10:25:48 -0700, Jude wrote:
>
>> I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
>> cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
>> one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
>> it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
>> cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
>> What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

> Have you tried the frozen food section? I think it's in bags.

I've used tinned, it's not quite as good and is a little sweeter, I've also
used cherries (put them in the bottom as I'm not sure if they'd sink. Lynn
used blueberries and said they didn't sink but were good)
Raspberries should be nice if a little soft.
Sarah

Jen

Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
> cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
> one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
> it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
> cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
> What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

Google is your friend.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Damsel

Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:

> Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

> Google is your friend.

Please pardon Mr. Cheesy Chicken. He works for Google.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rhubarb Custard Cake

Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes desserts
fruits

1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the cake
batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the whipping cream
(unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake
springs back when lightly touched.

Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer. Makes
1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

Source:
"Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 258 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat);
2g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 37mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at least
2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out about a
half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar, and
cream.

Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake
±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)
Sarah

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:
>
>> Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>>
>> > Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

>> Google is your friend.

> Please pardon Mr. Cheesy Chicken. He works for Google.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Rhubarb Custard Cake
>
> Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
> Categories : cakes desserts
> fruits

> 1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
> 4 cups chopped rhubarb
> 1 cup granulated sugar
> 1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups
>
> Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
> greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the
> cake
> batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the whipping
> cream
> (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until cake
> springs back when lightly touched.
>
> Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer. Makes
> 1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.
>
> Source:
> "Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Per serving: 258 Calories (kcal); 13g Total Fat; (44% calories from fat);
> 2g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 37mg Cholesterol; 199mg Sodium
> Food Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2
> Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates
>
> NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at least
> 2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out about a
> half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar, and
> cream.
>
> Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake
> ±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)

A half recipe makes 6 muffin size cakes, and cooks in about 25 minutes.
Sarah

-L.

Damsel wrote:
> Monsur Fromage du Pollet > said:
>
> > Jen wrote on 04 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
> >
> > > Where is the recipe for this cake, I'd like to try it myself??

> > Google is your friend.

> Please pardon Mr. Cheesy Chicken. He works for Google.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Rhubarb Custard Cake

<snip>

I may make this for a party next weekend. It keeps getting reposted so
I can't ignore it any longer.

-L.

Melba's Jammin'

In article . com>,
"-L." > wrote:

> > * Exported from MasterCook *
> >
> > Rhubarb Custard Cake

> <snip>
>
> I may make this for a party next weekend. It keeps getting reposted so
> I can't ignore it any longer.
>
> -L.

Go ahead, ignore it. Save it for next Spring. I wouldn't make it with
frozen fruit. I think it (the fruit) would be too wet.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (no pictures
yet, though)
AlleyGator

"Jude" > wrote:

>I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
>cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
>one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
>it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
>cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
>What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

Now, if I could only figure out how to make it without rhubarb <G>.
Rhubarb is Barb's beets to me.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Lynn from Fargo

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D

Try substituting a package of cinnamon red hot candies for about 1/2 t0
1 cup of the sugar,
This makes the cake prettier as rubarb is not exactly the most
appetizing LOOKING fruit when cookes.
Mesides it tastes really good!
Lynn from Fargo=86

sueb

Jude wrote:
> I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
> cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
> one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
> it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
> cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
> What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

I've used fresh pineapple (use half a good size one).
I've used strawberries also.

I like the cake but my family is indifferent to its charms. That means
that I end up eating the whole thing which is not good for my
waistline.

Good luck,
Susan B.

21Twelve

Jude wrote:

> I know lots of people have p[layed around with barb's rhubarb custard
> cake, using different fruit. I'm wondering what has worked - I'm having
> one heck of a time trying to get rhubarb around herre. Got my hands no
> it twice this year; once it went into a pie and the other into the
> cake, but I can't wait a whoe year to bake this awespome cake again!
> What other fruit varieties have other people made successfully?

Frozen mixed berries worked well (I thawed then drained much of the
juice)....

David

--

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist
the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

H.L. Mencken