Damsel

Default Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake (with recipe)

Crash and I just sampled the still-warm cake, and have some observations.
The top crust of this cake is amazing! It's crunchy and chewy at the same
time. Not sure how to describe it other than it's fabulous!

Instead of just rhubarb, I used a combination of rhubarb and slices of
fresh strawberries. Even at that, Crash found it to be too tart (I knew
going into this that he didn't like rhubarb, so I'm just happy that he
tried it.

We both felt that we'd cut back on the sugar, although that's probably what
accounts for the amazing crust on top.

And last but not least .... the next time I make this, I'm going to
experiment with sliced bananas instead of rhubarb. Maybe strawberries and
bananas! In the meantime, I plan on bringing big slabs of this to our
neighbors, because I am *not* going to eat the whole thing myself.

It's a keeper. I just have to do a little tweaking to adjust for our
*cough* palates.

Thanks for sharing, Barb!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Barb's Rhubarb Custard Cake

Recipe By :shared by Barb Schaller
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cakes desserts
fruits

1 yellow cake mix -- 2-layer
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pint whipping cream -- 2 cups

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
greased and floured 9x13x2" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the
cake batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the whipping
cream (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, until
cake springs back when lightly touched.

Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer. Makes
1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

Source:
"Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : If you make the full recipe, make certain your pan is at least
2-1/2" deep -- 3" is better. If it's only two inches, take out about a
half cup of the batter before proceeding with the rhubarb, sugar, and
cream.

Halve the recipe (Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake
±45 minutes. (5/16/95.)

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:
Damsel

Damsel > said:

>We both felt that we'd cut back on the sugar, although that's probably what
>accounts for the amazing crust on top.

Following up on my own comments ... the cake is cloyingly sweet when hot,
but perfect when cooled. Highly recommended!

Carol