Wayne Boatwright

Default Seven Minute Frosting vs White Mountain Frosting

Both are "fluffy white frostings" and contain virtually the same ingredients,
the technique being the main difference. Having made both of these many
times, I can't tell a noticeable difference in taste or texture.

I find the technique for making White Mountain Frosting far less fussy to
work with and no beating in a double boiler on a hot stove.

Does anyone see a noticeable difference between the two?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-5, 06/25/2005
Tested on: 6/25/2005 12:29:17 PM

Kate Connally

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Both are "fluffy white frostings" and contain virtually the same ingredients,
> the technique being the main difference. Having made both of these many
> times, I can't tell a noticeable difference in taste or texture.
>
> I find the technique for making White Mountain Frosting far less fussy to
> work with and no beating in a double boiler on a hot stove.
>
> Does anyone see a noticeable difference between the two?

7-Minute Frosting always seems to make a hard crust, but thin, but
White Mountain doesn't. (Well, actually it does a little
when I make it but I've had it in restaurants and from
bakeries where it stayed really soft.

Now the only 7-Minute recipe I've ever used is the one
in the Betty Crocker cookbook. I was just looking on the
web and found one that is quite different from BC in that
it uses marshmallow cream. That might keep it from getting
a crust. I can't remember if there is corn syrup in the
BC recipe or not. I know there is sugar, cream of tartar,
water and egg whites. Maybe corn syrup. But it seems to
me that corn syrup (or marshmallow creme) would keep it from
getting crusty.

I think 7-Minute is the easier one to make because
you just dump everything in the double-boiler and beat
with a hand mixer until it's done. With the White
Mountain you have to cook the syrup and then pour it
in a thin stream into the beaten white which is a major
pain in the butt. I've done it because I thought
White Mountain would not get a crust like 7-Minute.
Also, the White Mountain I've had has had a more marshmallowy
texture than 7-Minute. The flavor is about the same
but the 7-Minute is easier to do and the White Mountain
has a better texture.

I'll have to try the recipe I found that uses marshmallow
cream and see if I like it better. Since it's a 7-Minute
recipe it would be easier to do and possible have a more
marshmallowy texture like the White Mountain.

Kate
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 27 Jun 2005 12:59:43p, Kate Connally wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Both are "fluffy white frostings" and contain virtually the same
>> ingredients, the technique being the main difference. Having made both
>> of these many times, I can't tell a noticeable difference in taste or
>> texture.
>>
>> I find the technique for making White Mountain Frosting far less fussy
>> to work with and no beating in a double boiler on a hot stove.
>>
>> Does anyone see a noticeable difference between the two?

> 7-Minute Frosting always seems to make a hard crust, but thin, but
> White Mountain doesn't. (Well, actually it does a little
> when I make it but I've had it in restaurants and from
> bakeries where it stayed really soft.
>
> Now the only 7-Minute recipe I've ever used is the one
> in the Betty Crocker cookbook. I was just looking on the
> web and found one that is quite different from BC in that
> it uses marshmallow cream. That might keep it from getting
> a crust. I can't remember if there is corn syrup in the
> BC recipe or not. I know there is sugar, cream of tartar,
> water and egg whites. Maybe corn syrup. But it seems to
> me that corn syrup (or marshmallow creme) would keep it from
> getting crusty.

I've seen 7-minute frosting recipes done with and also without corn syrup,
though I don't think I've tried it both ways. The recipe I usually use
calls for 2 tbls. corn syrup.

> I think 7-Minute is the easier one to make because
> you just dump everything in the double-boiler and beat
> with a hand mixer until it's done. With the White
> Mountain you have to cook the syrup and then pour it
> in a thin stream into the beaten white which is a major
> pain in the butt. I've done it because I thought
> White Mountain would not get a crust like 7-Minute.
> Also, the White Mountain I've had has had a more marshmallowy
> texture than 7-Minute. The flavor is about the same
> but the 7-Minute is easier to do and the White Mountain
> has a better texture.

I guess that depends partly on your equipment and personal preference. I
don't like standing over the stove with a double boiler and hand mixer for
7 minutes. I'd much rather pour hot syrup into the egg whites using my
stand mixer and just "letter her rip" for 7 minutes or so.

I think you're right about the white mountain staying softer, and I do
think the texture might be a little better than the 7-minute.

> I'll have to try the recipe I found that uses marshmallow
> cream and see if I like it better. Since it's a 7-Minute
> recipe it would be easier to do and possible have a more
> marshmallowy texture like the White Mountain.

A friend of mine used to make a frosting using just marshmallow cream and a
very small amount of boiling water, the mixture beaten together until stiff
billowy peaks form.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
pjjehg

"Kate Connally" wrote
> Now the only 7-Minute recipe I've ever used is the one
> in the Betty Crocker cookbook. I was just looking on the
> web and found one that is quite different from BC in that
> it uses marshmallow cream. That might keep it from getting
> a crust. I can't remember if there is corn syrup in the
> BC recipe or not. I know there is sugar, cream of tartar,
> water and egg whites. Maybe corn syrup. But it seems to
> me that corn syrup (or marshmallow creme) would keep it from
> getting crusty.

My mother taught me to add marshmallow to 7-Minute frosting. It gives a
firmer, creamier texture and doesn't break down as fast as straight 7-Minute
recipes.

Pam